main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Rate the Star Wars films, TPM to TFA

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by anakinfansince1983 , Dec 18, 2015.

?

Which Star Wars film is your favorite?

1. Episode I: The Phantom Menace

19 vote(s)
    3.9%
  2. Episode II: Attack of the Clones

20 vote(s)
    4.1%
  3. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

103 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. Episode IV: A New Hope

81 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Episode V: Empire Strikes Back

180 vote(s)
    37.1%
  6. Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

41 vote(s)
    8.5%
  7. Episode VII: The Force Awakens

41 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    1. Rogue One
    2. The Empire Strikes Back
    3. A New Hope
    4. Return of the Jedi
    5. Revenge of the Sith
    6. The Phantom Menace
    7. Attack of the Clones
    8. The Force Awakens

2. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017

Good lists everyone! Here's mine. 1. Empire 2. A New Hope 3. ROTS 4. Force Awakens 5. ROTJ 6. Rogue One 7. Phantom Menace 8. AOTC

3. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    ESB > ROTJ > ROTS > ANH > AOTC > TPM > TFA

4. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I'm glad this poll rates ROTS no2 of all the Star Wars movies cause it's my fav & haters can hate but this poll doesn't lie ^:)^

5. Steve McGarrett

Steve McGarrett Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 1, 2017
    Hope
    Empire
    Awakens
    Rogue
    Menace
    Jedi
    Clones
    Sith

6. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    Empire
    Hope
    Rogue
    Jedi
    Awakens
    Menace
    Sith
    Clones

7. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

All right, a bit of statistics. Because the number of n (number of voters) is small, the results of such a poll in inherently unreliable in generalizing its results to the entire population of star wars fans. :p

8. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Bazinga'd

463 votes all up - wonder what the margin of error is ? :D

9. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    The smaller the number of votes in proportion to the entire population (in this case the entire Star Wars fandom) the more variability there is. While 463 may be a good representative sample of star wars fans that are on TFN, it does not accurately represent the entire universe of fans. :) (I learned that from staying in a Holiday Inn Express)

10. Jakethewhitt02

Jakethewhitt02 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 29, 2017
    My vote is with TESB!

TX-20 likes this.
  11. Jakethewhitt02

Jakethewhitt02 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 29, 2017
    [face_hypnotized] Does anybody else feel like it is a crime for Revenge of The Sith to be in second place?

Avnar likes this.
  12. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Probably, but it's a crime imo to think ROTJ is better than ROTS. [face_hypnotized]

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Nah, people like what they like. Revenge of the Sith is pretty far down my list, by everyone has their preferences. If it’s somebody’s favorite, at least it makes them happy.

Jakethewhitt02 likes this.
  14. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    1. Empire Strikes Back
    2. Rogue One
    3. The Force Awakens
    4. Star Wars
    5. Revenge of the Sith
    6. Return of the Jedi
    6t.The Phantom Menace
    7. Attack of the Clones

I fully expect The Last Jedi to be Top 2 after release.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  15. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    anakinfansince1983 seems like we have two ranking threads again ...

I agree, but there seem to be a couple of constants when these films get ranked. One of them is that TESB will inevitably be on top, but one of them is also that ROTS will be near the top.

The poll on starwars.com is not too dissimilar to TFN's - only TFA mixes the situation a bit for Episodes 4 & 6.

[​IMG]

16. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    & that the same two movies are always at the bottom. Also let's remember that getting a high number of "firsts" does not equate to the average score. As your analysis here does a good job of pointing out. RotS always scores well on these "favorite" polls bcs almost all PT fans select it, while the other two prequels are largely ignored. So it gets more first selections than movies like ANH & RotJ, but it also gets far more low end-mid range scores. That's why those two movies are on balance ahead of RotS, which comes in at 4th place in terms of total points awarded, only slightly ahead of TFA.

17. Alienware

Apr 19, 2013
    There are many interesting things going on (I'm including Rogue One). For example, ROTS loses points largely because it gets the most 6th place rankings due to OT fans who connect much more with the two Disney movies than the prequels.

65.7% of people who have all three OT films in top 3, also have all three PT films in bottom 3. The percentage would be even higher if I included people who have all three OT films in top 5, not just specifically top 3.

18. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Hmmm, isnt there a second moderator on these boards as well, and I am not talking about those who mini-mod.

19. Alienware

Apr 19, 2013

Btw, scratch my comment that you've quoted. I haven't been in this part of the forum for a long time and forgot that this thread is only for TPM-TFA, so I kinda just saw it as redundant in comparison to the stickied one.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  20. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015
    Mini-mod:

[​IMG]

21. Gembo

Gembo Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2017
    1. A New Hope
    2. Empire Strikes Back
    3. The Force Awakens
    4. Revenge of the Sith
    5. Rogue One
    6. Return of the Jedi
    7. Phantom Menace
    8. Attack of the Clones

Wow, that was a lot harder than I thought it'd be.

DrDre likes this.
  22. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I do... It comes last on my list - But then some people think that's nuts also! :cool:

Jakethewhitt02 likes this.
  23. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I'm slightly appalled by ROTS being in second place too. It's last for me as well. It feeds on nostalgia just as much as TFA does and has some of the worst writing of all the films, with acting so atrocious I imagine the actors cringed at the takes that Lucas used when they saw it.

24. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    How exactly does it feed into nostalgia in the same way TFA does? The plot structure and visual styles of TFA aim to ape ANH at every turn, while ROTS has a completely different plot structure, and aesthetic styling. I'm honestly struggling to see major sources of nostalgia in there. Maybe, the reversal of the ROTJ throne room scene? But that's a deliberate subversion to contrast Luke and Anakin's diverging journeys.

25. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Vader in the suit 20 years before ANH? R2D2 riding astromech for Anakin Skywalker as he dogfights in space just like he did with Luke? Chewbacca? Emperor's Royal Guards 26 years before ROTJ? Kenobi being Red Leader? Tatooine twin suns? Vader, the Emperor and Tarkin on a Star Destroyer bridge looking out from the same bridge window? The shift even more towards classic Stormtroopers with Phase 2? Star Destroyers? The Tantive IV? The last 15 minutes of ROTS is a literal montage of nostalgia. Perhaps you were young when you saw ROTS, or saw them all the PT films more or less around the same time, but the PT really is full of nostalgia.

Which makes your criticism of TFA erratic. "At every turn" is a ridiculous judgement of TFA too. One that breaks down on anything more than a superficial look. "But similar looking X-wings and TIE Fighters" is not a visual style. TFA looks as different from ANH as any of the other Star Wars movies.

PymParticles and Outsourced like this.