main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

R'bolt's AOTC Preview Cards

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Restrainingbolt, May 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Masterlucas

Masterlucas Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 28, 2002
    Impressive, most impressive!

Keep up the good work, guys.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Just curious from a gaming perspective if R2 is able to carry unlimited devices, or whether or not there is a limit? Also curious about his ability to use more than one device per turn. <<

Characters may have any number of devices or weapons deployed on them, but may only use one per turn (however, devices that provide a continuous modifier, such as a utility belt, do not count as using the device).

However, there are cards that can alter this (such as backpacks for troopers). I don't recall anything offhand that specifically helps droids do so. A way around it could be to make certain devices interrupts (the suction cup, for example, could be an interrupt) so that way you could theoretically play it and use a device before or after that turn.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I felt your gametext would work best for the unique version of the Core Shop (which is what they are called), so I gave it a more specific name. BTW, in case you don't know, by [take into hand X icon] I mean the "pointing-up" triangle icon introduced in the newest virtual card set. (likewise, [deploy from reserve deck X icon] means the "pointing-down" triangle)

*Command Core Ship
    Destiny: 1
    Lore: Trade Federation Core Ship brought to Geonosis for military upgrades and coordination with new Baktoid droid armies.
    Starship
    Capital: Lucrehulk-Class Control Core Ship
    Power: 4
    Armor: 7
    No Hyperdrive
    Deploy: 6
    Forfeit: 6
    Icons: Trade Federation, Pilot
    Gametext: May add 4 pilots, 6 passengers & 2 vehicles. Permanent pilot provides ability of 2. May land and takeoff like a starfighter. May use power & gametext while landed. Twice per game, [take into hand X icon] one spider or hailfire droid. Immune to attrition <7.

And here is the non-unique version...

<><>Federation Core Ship
    Destiny: 2
    Starship
    Lore: Modular core for Trade Federation ships, built by Hoersch-Kessel Drive Inc & Baktoid Combat Automata. Able to land for maintainence.
    Capital: Lucrehulk-Class Control Core Ship
    Power: 3
    Armor: 7
    No Hyperdrive
    Forfeit: 5
    Icons: Trade Federation, Pilot
    Gametext: Permanent pilot provides ability of 1. May land and takeoff like a starfighter. May use power & gametext while landed. [Presence Icon] droids at same and adjacent sites are each cumulatively power+2. Immune to attrition <5.

4. Restrainingbolt

Restrainingbolt Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2002
    Would it be legal to write the ability to use muliple devices (say two per turn) into R2's game text? :)

R'Bolt

5. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    Made changes to the Core ship. I used your non-unique game text. Wonder if Power 3 is a bit underpowered? The game text with respect to the droids adding power cumulatively is a nice touch. Also, does an icon exist for the trade federation already, or does one need to be designed? I've checked cards in the Theed expansion, but don't see anything (or even where that icon would be placed).

R'Bolt

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Would it be legal to write the ability to use muliple devices (say two per turn) into R2's game text?<<

"I will make it legal!" [face_batting]

Seriously though, that's fine- it'd be like the one Jango's "may use unlimited..." gametext, for example.

>>Wonder if Power 3 is a bit underpowered?<<

Well, the way I see it, they don't actually DO much besides affect the surrounding droid forces and they're pretty much sitting ducks on the ground. PLUS your getting that droid powerboost which could add up pretty quickly, so I think it balances it out. And for the unique one, I bumped it up to 4 to seem a little more powerful.

>>Also, does an icon exist for the trade federation already, or does one need to be designed? I've checked cards in the Theed expansion, but don't see anything (or even where that icon would be placed).<<

The orange-dot-on-black (looks kind of like a solar eclipse) is the trade federation icon. It's where the pilot, warrior and presence icons are placed.

Looks like you confused the trade federation icon for the "presence" icon (which is the battle droid icon).

Also, I meant it to be two diamonds (like asteriod sectors or the Droid Control Ship from Coruscant), not two dots, on the restriction. That way you can have two at each system if you wanted. Come tot hink of it, I think I'll change the Command Core Ship to a single diamond also...

"Lucrehulk" in the capital field should be italics i believe as well.

7. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    Posed a revision on the Federation Core Ship. Also adjusted the game text on R2 "to make it legal" for him to use two devices per battle. Let me know if the changes are what you had in mind on the Core Ship?

R'Bolt

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Core Ship looks good. I wonder if I can photoshop-out the landing strut in the foreground...I'll play around with that tommorow.

On R2-D2, put the landspeed gametext in parenthesis -

May fly (landspeed=3).

9. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    I know we've been having this discussion on an off. I did want to update some of the things I've said with respect to card sizes for those outputting or making their own cards. I'm pretty sure the card (canvas) size used by decipher is 2.38 x 3.313 inches (357 x 497 pixels @ 150 dpi). That was the exact size I got when working on a location template this morning, after having copied an image to my clipboard and pasting the copied image into a new document window in Photoshop.

In printing out some of my cards yesterday, I found the 2.5 size I've been using to be a bit oversize even with slight trimming of the black border on all four sides. Perhaps a better target size would be 2.42 x 3.35. I also found than printing 8 cards at a time worked fine for me with my printer. I do believe that a file resolution of 300 dpi prior to flatting the file helps make the type sharper when printed, however. I have been resampling up to that resolution prior to flatting my final composite images.

R'Bolt

10. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    2ndQuest, curious if you happen to have any techical information on either of the following ships?

Coruscant Transport
    Skywalker's Skyhopper

Pics posted here:
    E2 Cards in Process

If interested in before_after pics
    Processed Images Before_After

R'Bolt

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, I've checked through the VD and ICS books and they have nothing on them, shy of referring to the transport as a freighter. I'll see if I can track anything else down- maybe WOTC's RPG or TCG site has something. I'd guess the lar's skyhopper is an earlier model than Luke's T-16...but I'm guessing it wouldn't be a T-xx designation, as the T-series seems to be a modern line (T-16, T-47, T-65, etc).

Although, I had hoped to work the transport in as a "Refugee Transport", I mentioned it on the assassination objective as a movement restriction exclusion which would work well with the Jedi SAhall Not Love objective, so we could change the title to that. Now the problem is if it should be a capital ship or a starfighter- most freighters are starfighters. If it's a starfighter, we don't have to work in "may land/move like a starfighter" gametext.

So, while I don't have any tech notes to add, if I may suggest this gametext to add to your existing one-

"May add 2 pilots, 8 passengers and 3 vehicles. Permanent pilot provides ability of 1. May move for free. May not use weapons. Opponent may not deploy to same location. Immune to attrition<5 if Amidala aboard."

Oh, also, it needs an astromech droid icon so it can use its hyperspeed.

sorry I got nothing else[face_batting]

12. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    Revised card pics with adjusted game text are up. I've put some potential text in the lore fields which might work. These (as always) are suggested cards for any E2 expansion. Thanks for the input.

BTW, I moved them to the E2 completed card page. You might also want to check out the C-3PO card. Kinda a booster to the "tool oriented" R2-D2, Versatile Droid. I've always thought the droids had too little impact on the ccg (but that's me).

E2 CCG Cards

R'Bolt

13. Leigheshe

Leigheshe Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2002
    I am desperately searching for a Kit Fisto card. Can anyone help me? Please? My e-mail is glisteningkiss@aol.com and my aim tag is aphexnovaismine. I appreciate any advice/information! Thanks!

14. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    I don't believe any of these have been made to date in any of the card games made by Decipher. Perhaps there is a card in the new TCG card game by Wizards of the Coast. You might want to ask in one of their TCG threads.

R'Bolt

15. iwjev

iwjev Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2002
    The Kit Fisto card is in the TCG and you can get one easy if you buy the starter set.

16. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    I posted 3 new cards to my E2 Preview page. Yoda has certainly become more of a force to deal with. Let me know what you think about game text, etc.

Yoda with Lightsaber
    Force Deflection
    Jedi Master Presence

Episode 2 Preview Cards

I'm also curious as to how the page is loading into your browsers? The page loads relatively quickly in aol's browser, but significantly slower in Netscape. I'm about at the point where I think I need to move the darkside cards to a separate page.

Restrainingbolt

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    loads pretty well for me in netscape, but breaking them up into DS/LS might be a good idea as these start to pile up::)

Also, with Yoda, I'd add in the word "may" and change the icon to [take into hand] instead of [deplpy] so that it reads "Once per turn, may [take into hand] Force Delfection."

(the "reshuffle" text is not needed, as the icon represents that)

he also needs the permanent weapon icon.

for force deflection, reword the used text to: "If Yoda was just targeted by a Force Lighting (or character weapon), cancel that targeting."

Jedi Master Presence...

"If Yoda is present during any battle, use 2 force to cause all your other Jedi Knights present in battle to lose immunity to attrition and battle at double power for remainder of battle."

I think that balances it a bit better.

18. Jedi_Muppet

Jedi_Muppet Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2002
    I really like the yoda w/stick card.

the only concern I have is that it should say draw two destiny. As it's written, he only gets one

Otherwise (and in general) you're doing a great job! Way to help out the struggling game. If I could make one request, it would be for more effects and interrupts.

Thanks again,
    Jedi Muppet

19. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    Thanks for catching that. It should have read two. I cut and pasted that text from another card and somehow the "2" got dropped. :( I should have a corrected card up later today. (edit: just realized my Anakin with Lightsaber card was incorrect as well given it was the card I copied the text from! Thanks again.)

I'm sure 2ndQuest and others will do just that with respect to your request for more interrupts. Keep your eyes peeled on the other thread as well. They got objectives and a host of other things planned in 3 separate expansions. You might want to suggest some dream card there.

R'Bolt

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    As I review both threads for my list-so-far for the first expansion, some in-retrospective comments...

Could you rename Ben Kenobi, Jedi Knight to Master Obi-Wan? He isn't referred to as Ben in AOTC, so that seems out of place. We also might want to save that image of him for the Geonosis persona of him (Master Kenobi), but until we find a "coruscant" pic of him, its fine as a place hodler so we don't forget about it::)

I'd also like to revise the lore a tad-

Lore: Jedi Mentor to Anakin Skywalker. Said to be overly critical by some. Once fell into a nest of gundarks.

Windu seems to be the Geonosis version, so, I'd suggest... (first off, save "this party's over" for the mace w/saber version)

*Master Windu
    Character: Jedi Master
    Lore: Leader. Senior Jedi Council member. Brought 200 Jedi with him to Geonosis.
    Power: 6
    Ability: 7
    Jedi Master
    Icon: Warrior
    Forfeit: 8
    Gametext: Deploys+3 to any location besides Jedi Council Chamber and Geonosis: Arena. Power+2 if armed with a lightsaber (or in same battle as Fett). Immune to attrition <5.

revised lore and gametext for windu w/saber...

Lore: Jedi Council Member. "This party's over."

Gametext: Adds 1 battle destiny if with Jango. Permanent Weapon is *Mace Windu's Lightsaber (may target a character or creature for free; draw 2 destiny; target hit and it's forfeit=0, if total destiny > defense value).

On Amidala, I'd drop Palpatine's name from the list of those who make her politics=0, since he doesn't manipulate her in AOTC in the senate like he did in TPM. Also drop the "adds one battle destiny" gametext...combined with the ommiting of palp's name, should make the gametext looked less squeezed in. Also, I don't think "docking bay" should be capitalized.

Also, could you try to find a Coruscant image of her for this card?

Change her lore to-

Lore: Former Queen of Naboo, now serves her people as a senator. Most prominent opponent of the Military Creation Act.

The former Queen version of her is alot like her tatooine persona. I think we'd be better off going with this one someone else submitted to work a bit better with the "A Jedi Shall Not" objective...

*Padme Amidala
    Character: Republic
    Lore: Senator targeted for assassination. Was placed under Anakin?s protection and taken to Naboo. Important figure in the galactic senate.
    P:3
    A:4
    D:2
    F:8
    Warrior
    Gametext: Agendas: Order, peace. While in a senate majority, your republic characters are forfeit +2, and once per control phased, you may look at top card of your reserve deck. You may place that card on your used pile. Immune to attrition < 3 (<4 if with Anaklin or on Naboo, <5 if both.)

perhaps you'd like to substitute that gametext and such for your "former queen" one?

on Yoda, revise to...

*Yoda, Jedi Master
    Lore: Senior Jedi Council Member. Strong in the force is he. Concerned that the Dark Lord of the Sith knows of the Jedi's state of weakness.
    Ability: 7
    Power: 4
    Jedi Master
    Warrior
    Deploy: 5
    Forfeit: 8
    Gametext: Deploys only to Coruscant or to the same site as 3 or more Clonetroopers. Power+ 3 and defense value+2 while armed with a lightsaber. Immune to attrition, he is.

Add quotes to the quote in the lore to Yoda w/saber.

Make force deflection unique, also change the lost portion to: "Once per game, increase Yoda's defense value by 5 for remainder of battle."

Also, I believe "USED:" and "LOST:" must be in caps.

Jedi Master Presence...

change lore to-

Lore: The presence of Jedi Master Yoda, with his exceptional skills in the force, would inspire any other Jedi present to fight at thier highest potential.

Also, since this card is so powerful, i think we need to restrict it to once per game, so.. "Once per game, if Yoda is present...". It would reflect Yoda making his rare appearance in battle::)

I'm gonna pause there, cause I want to finish this list and doing this card by card is taking alot longer than i expected [face_batting]

EDIT- rename Commercial Transport as R

21. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    I'm going to need to get a high speed connection at home to work with my iDisk! :)

Let me digest this.

I'm going to post some possible pics we might use for Ben and Amidala. Personally I really like the current pic of the Senator version. She did wear that outfit on Coruscant even if it was leaving the planet. ;) A number of the coruscant pics of her aren't great which is why I bypassed them. I will see what I can come up with.

R'Bolt

22. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    Should this version have POLITICS in the field after Ability? If so, should we keep the politics = 4 as with the Senator version? I assume with the agendas game text that would follow.

The former Queen version of her is alot like her tatooine persona. I think we'd be better off going with this one someone else submitted to work a bit better with the "A Jedi Shall Not" objective...

*Padme Amidala
    Character: Republic
    Lore: Senator targeted for assassination. Was placed under Anakin?s protection and taken to Naboo. Important figure in the galactic senate.
    P:3
    A:4
    D:2
    F:8
    Warrior
    Gametext: Agendas: Order, peace. While in a senate majority, your republic characters are forfeit +2, and once per control phased, you may look at top card of your reserve deck. You may place that card on your used pile. Immune to attrition < 3 (<4 if with Anaklin or on Naboo, <5 if both.)

perhaps you'd like to substitute that gametext and such for your "former queen" one?

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> perhaps you'd like to substitute that gametext and such for your "former queen" one?<<

That'd be great.

She may have worn it on Coruscant, but at that point she was supposed to be "undercover" (hmm..that'd be a neat idea...) as a refugee, not a Senator::)

And keep in mind, in the event we can get a good quality Coruscant pic of Amidala- we can always use the pic you have there for a support card.

Now that I think about it...maybe we should make a politics-less fighter pilot version of her also?

24. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    For those of you following this thread, I have now moved all the darkside cards to their own page.

Darkside Episode 2 Cards

Editing was becoming quite slow especially at home where I do not have a high speed connection. I have also posted suggested text changes to a number of the cards, along with posting the following:

Owen Lars
    Master Kenobi (this text is meant as a place holder for the card image)
    Amidala, Refugee (what can I tell you, I really like this image!)

2ndQuest, if you have specific text preferences for the Amidala Refugee card that would work better with one of the objectives, let me know. Please if others have suggestions as to game text, the more input we get the better the cards will be.

R'Bolt

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ok, additional comments...

Master Obi-Wan- great pic!

Thought up some better lore, with a slight change to the gametext to relfect the addition, as well I fixed up the wording on the power bonus..

Lore: Jedi Mentor to Anakin Skywalker. Overly critical. Recently returned from a border dispute on Ansion.

Gametext: Deploys -2 to Coruscant or Ansion. Power +1 if at same site as a bounty hunter (+2 if Zam or Jango). Adds 2 to the power of anything he pilots. Immune to attrition <5.

Master Kenobi...

Lore: After escaping his execution at the hands...claws of an Acklay, Obi-Wan confronted Dooku in an attempt to end the war quickly.

Gametext: Adds 2 to the power of anything he pilots (3 if a Delta-7). If armed with *Obi-Wan's Lightsaber, power +1 and defense value +2. Adds one battle destiny if with Amidala or Anakin. Immune to attrition <5.

*Amidala, Refugee

Lore: Senator from Naboo, forced to flee Coruscant from a threat of assassination. Harbors hidden feelings towards a young padawan given the responsiblity of protecting her.

Gametext: As a react, may [deploy from reserve deck X icon] Anakin to same site for free. While present with Anakin, may not be targeted by weapons and immune to attrition <5. Adds 2 to the power of anything she pilots.

Anakin skywalker, padawan learner... (he can't be ability 6 since he's not a jedi yet-also removed redundant gametext with amidala)

Lore: Padwan Learner to Obi-Wan Kenobi. Believed to be the chosen one who will bring balance to the force. Doesn't sleep well anymore.

Ability: 5

Gametext: Deploys- 2 to same site as Obi-Wan. May not deploy if [Death Star 2 expansion icon] objective on table. Power + 1 while armed with a lightsaber. Adds 2 to the power and manuever of anything he pilots. Immune to attrition <4.

*Anakin's Lightsaber
    Character Weapon
    Lore: Frequently misplaced or damaged weapon of Anakin Skywalker, who tries not to lose it.
    Gametext: Use 2 force to deploy on any Skywalker. May target a character, creature or vehicle for free. Draw two destiny. Target hit (or 'crashed' if vehicle), and forfeit=0, if total destiny > defense value.

*Anakin With Lightsaber
    Lore: Padawan Learner. Rivals Master Yoda as a swordsman...in his mind, at least.

Ability: 5

Gametext: May not deploy if [Death Star 2 expansion icon] objective on table. Permanent weapon is *Anakin's Lightsaber (may target a character or creature for free; draw two destiny; target hit and forfeit=0 if total destiny+1 > defense value).

Yoda w/saber should say "two destiny" instead of "2 destiny", my mistake.

Owen Lars-

we might want to think up a subtitle for him, to distinguihs between him and the premiere version...oh, and make him an alien- "the republic doesn't exist out here". also, drop the "tatooine:" prefix to the deploy bonus text. Also, he's not a warrior.

slightly reworded gametext-

Gametext: Deploys free to Lar's Moisture Farm. While at same site as Beru, twice per game may [take into hand X icon]Harvest. Immune to attrition < 3 if Anakin present.

*C-3PO, Human-Cyborg Relations
    Lore: Built by Anakin Skywalker and later had coverings added to his body. Accompanied Shmi Skywalker after she was freed and married to Clieg Lars. Has never flown before.

Gametext: May deploy to same site as Artoo as a react. If your astromech at same site was just targeted by a weapon deployed on a [battle droid presence icon] droid, may instead use Threepio as target. Once per turn, may shuffle opponent's reserve deck if present with 3 or more battledroids.

clone trooper..

Lore: Clones created on Kamino utilizing growth acceleration and genetic tampering techniques that make them less independent than the original host, the bounty hunter Jango Fett.

Gametext: Deploys-1 to same site as a Jedi. Forfeit+1 if a Jedi present.

Supreme Chancellor Palpatine..

remove the warrior and pilot icons.

Lore: After serving his normal terms, has decided to remain in office until the resolution of the Seperatist crisis. Reluctantly agr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.