main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Re: UK FanForce City Representative

Discussion in 'FanForce Communications' started by Commander Antilles, Dec 19, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    We had a vote to decide who this would be in the UK forum. I eventually PMed darthcleo about it asking her to check the thread with a view to appointing the city rep, but didn't get a clear answer or a reply to my further queries. Can any of the admins/mods help?

2. Old-Jedi

Old-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 25, 2000
    The unique situation about Fanforce is that admins do not "appoint" CRs. City Representatives must be elected by the members of the chapter they represent. We try very hard to discourage an online voting process. As a rule chapters must have at least three gatherings, before they would be given consideration as a Fanforce chapter, but this is an unusual situation. I will confer with my fellow FFers and see how we may try to accomidate you. Thank you for your patience.

3. Commander Antilles

Jul 21, 1999
    Thanks for the clarification, Old Jedi. :)

However, we're asking you to make someone a city rep on the basis of our discussion on this matter, rather than an admin choice.
    And the impression we've got by the FAQ posted in this forum by Mr K and the comments by other admins/mods seems to give the impression that you can elect your city rep.

4. Old-Jedi

Old-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 25, 2000
    The point that confuses me, is that in a regular situation, the chapter members would meet face to face, and elect/choose their CR. Unless everyone in the UK chapter is in close proximity to each other, I'm not sure how you could meet face to face to make this decision. As I stated we prefer that Fanforce not be a predominantly online group, but rather one that can have meetings, attend various events together, catch the occasional movie, etc. The UK situation brings up some unique issues that perhaps some global support folks are best suited to decide.

5. Commander Antilles

Jul 21, 1999
    The thing is that the UK forum naturally attracts ALL the UK fans, ie ones from Scotland, Devon/Cornwall, Wales, and North and South England. Given that kind of distribution, it's difficult to get us all together and decide on a representative face to face. And we have started a thread to try and coordinate activities and announcements of upcoming SW events and various social events, hopefully with the help of a couple of separate online groups that I'm part of.

I've talked to some of the UK members, and there does seem to be a strong feeling that we should have our own chapter name and rep, as the current largest FanForce section.
    Take a look at these threads:
    http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=1394933&replies=26
    http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=1481530&replies=39

Thanks for the feedback and help!

6. darthcleo

darthcleo Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 8, 2000
    The UK forum was created as is, so that UK folks can find each other. With that goal in mind, the UK forum is working great.
    The next step for UK people is to start meeting in real life. The forum should help in finding people close to you (whether it's based on a city, a group of neighbouring cities, or whatever), so you can meet face to face.
    Once a group starts having some semi-permanent life of its own OUTSIDE of the forums, then that group can appoint its own City Rep, and we will give that group its own forum so they can discuss further meetings.

So a recap.
    1. a country-wide forum lets people find each other based on geographical closeness
    2. People within reach of each other start meeting in real life.
    3. Those smaller groups elect a CR, and get their own forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.