main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Reading NJO...Again

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicewood, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Also, the Eclipse system is very well-characterised in Star by Star - the system is a navigational bedlam with multiple gas-giants and multiple asteroid belts, and the planet is an airless rock with the base concealed "subsurface". Also, the location is said to be at "the edge of the Deep Core", whereas Tython is well inside that region.

Definitely doesn't match Tython, but you could squint very hard at the narrative and say that this is Krev Coeur or Nox in the same system. You'd have to shift the system right across the Deep Core - Tython sits on the K-10/L-10 grid square boundary whereas Eclipse is on the L-11/M-11 grid square boundary - but you could explain the "edge" reference by saying that Tython is actually well above or below the Galactic plane, which would explain why such a habitable system is in the Deep Core area in the first place...

- The Imperial Ewok

Alpha-Red and Sudooku like this.
  2. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    A navigational Bedlam ... I know Bedlam as the planet in the Tion star cluster, where Naat Lare was in that psychiatric sanatory in the Darth Plagueis novel, before killed by two Jedi at Abraxin. And there is a real hospital location in the US called Bedlam. About the expression "a navigational Bedlam" I have no clue. But thank you for all your explanations and hints. :)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  3. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    So just another question

Throughout the course of the war, how many troops does everyone think the NR/GA mobilized?

In terms of millions or billions?

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Uncountable.

5. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    "bedlam" = chaos, disorder, anarchy, of a particularly spectacular and attention-grabbing sort; the term has been in use in this way in English since the sixteenth century, and is ultimately derived from the name of a special prison in London, England which housed what they then called "lunatics", and was run as a tourist attraction. [face_plain]

- The Imperial Ewok

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    Sudooku and Iron_lord like this.
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  7. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    It would likely have to be in the Trillions. Given the casualties suffered. I get the feeling it was the ww2 of Star Wars.

8. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    O.k. I've got now to the place in SbS where Eclipse is clearly called a planet. In Rebirth there were just these vague allusions which really drove me crazy. I also wonder if Opeli Mors will ever make a new appearance after Rebirth. In Wookieepedia they just did mention her attending this meeting at Shelter Station with Han and Leia and then ... Despite her darker skin, I'm thinking of Opeli Mors as a distant relative of Moff Delian Mors in "Sithlords" by Paul S. Kemp, while Opeli Mors at Shelter Station was in company of Numa Rar. I would like to know, if she is really that sincere like she pretends, though her Jin'ri-company is very young, or if she is just another Nom Anor spy.

AusStig likes this.
  9. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Wait are you suggesting Opeli Mors is a spy implanted by her relative Moff Delian Mors? :eek: And that the Jin'ri trade syndicate might be an Imperial funded war profiteering organisation that helps refugees and the fight against the Vong without being backtraced to the Empire?

[face_thinking] This smells of very early Imperial Mission percurser operations!

Sudooku and AusStig like this.
  10. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    In the Invasion comics there was a moff who welcomed refugees, but then used them as slave labour for the Vong.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  11. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Makes me wonder how the course of the war had gone if the IR had sided with the Vong.

Sudooku and AusStig like this.
  12. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    At what point? I think at the start, it would have distracted the NR, I can see a lot of the NR leadership taking the fight to the IR, it could end up like Dark Empire, with the NR fleet stretched even thinner, with their forces smashing the IR while also trying to keep the Vong back.

It COULD have helped in the long term, by giving the NR bases in the outerrim to flank the Vong (and the star maps).

Mid war, would have made it worse, say during the 'truce' that existed during edge of victory. The IR would likely press into the NR until maybe the fall of coruscant, then there would likely be a falling out between the 'allies'.

Late war, well things would go much worse, post coruscant they could smash most of the NR for a while before the NR rallies but it would leave both easy pickings for the Vong, at least in the 'north' of the galaxy.

Sudooku likes this.
  13. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I think the best time for the IR to join the Vong would be after the Fall of Coruscant. That way they could preserve their forces and usefulness and make a push "southwards" and link up with Vong forces to move against Mon Calamari.

Early in the war-when the Vong weren't viewed as the threat they were it would likely be the imperials seen as revanchist and allying with some aliens out of the unknown regions or a satellite galaxy opportunistically.

It would stretch the NR fleet I think a lot. If the NR manages to win, the IR is definitely getting dismantled permanently.

I think depending on the timing, it could either make the war a lot longer and more bloody or ensure a Yuuzhan Vong victory. In the latter scenario-the IR is likely treated with barely veiled contempt as a vassal, and once the Vong mopped up resistance elsewhere they'd crush the IR.

AusStig and Sudooku like this.
  14. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I also think the time that would do the most damage to the NR would be after Coruscant. The Empire could take everything up to the Hydian Way or even as far 'south' as the Perlemian. This would give the Vong the ability to focus on Mon Cal and the 'south' of the galaxy. Now would they? The Vong would not trust the Empire, and Nas Choka may decide to deal with the IR once they move their fleets out. I think the NR would still win, since it holds the south and Empire/Vong war would distract both. But it would take longer and be more like the Rebellion, than the war was in legends.

Early in the war (say pre Ithor) the Empire would likely be viewed as the 'REAL' threat and the Vong as a distraction. Agin the NR would win (in fact getting to blood it's forces against the IR may help long term as it would make their forces less green and give them more bases in the 'north' either just to support the war or occupation.

I doubt the IR lives to see a Vong galaxy, they will be taken out.

15. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I wonder if they'd written that Pellaeon perished during the Yuuzhan Vong attacks on Imperial space though. That would've been something.

AusStig likes this.
  16. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    yeah I really liked the scene in the first FH book, where Jacen has to talk to the @$$hole moff and get him to join the war.

I think under that guy (forget his name) the IR would have fought as hard as it could (we are not irrelevant). But I don't think they would join the GA post war and he would not end up as supreme commander. So it would be interesting to see who would take his place.

17. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Kurlen Flennic is his name.

AusStig likes this.
  18. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Personally I think the Vong wouldn’t have turned on the empire until they had wiped out the GA/NR.

They would brook no challenge yes, but they weren’t so short sighted as to eliminate the most valuable local ally they were going to get until they had defeated the main enemy.

19. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Lol. I am literally at this exact point in the series.:p
    Reading it for the first time.

AusStig and Sudooku like this.
  20. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I have to say one of my favorite scenes in the series is when Luke greets jacen after he escapes Vong captivity.

“My boy my boy” it’s just so affectionate. I love that scene.

Nom von Anor, AusStig and Iron_lord like this.
  21. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    What do you think of the scene? I really liked it. I enjoy seeing jedi as diplomats and negotiators, since it happens so rarely.

It was really fun to see Jacen learning to 'speak' to others.

22. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    I thought it was interesting. Basically it's them in their traditional role.
    Not to mention it shows him taking after his mother a bit too.

AusStig likes this.
  23. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Yeah it is something jedi have a reputation for, but we rarely see them do.

Have you finished the scene and if so what do you think of it?

24. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    Oh yes, I might have overstated the "I am exactly there part."
    I was there a week or two ago, and I am on the second book of the trilogy now.

I thought it was a decent scene over all. As I stated I like seeing Jedi fill some of their more traditional roles including peace keepers. Many get so caught up with laser swords and telekinesis they tend to forget the Jedi are also keepers of the peace a diplomats.

Flennic came off as a pretty typical imperial (especially in later scenes), though I do like how Jacen used his pride against him and I am curious precisely how it would have turned out had Pealleon not intervened. Though it's probably for the best that he did.

25. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Yeah I really don't like how Pealleon intervened. It just sucked all tension and interest out of the scene. It really undercut what they had just set up.

but yeah is a good scene, great to see Jacen like that, but it got killed by the ending.