main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Reading NJO...Again

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicewood, Sep 17, 2017.

1. spicewood

spicewood Jedi Master star 2

Jun 26, 2007
    There were a lot of issues with the caste system of the YV to understate it. Nom Anor started pulling from one end, Nen Yim from the other, eventually it snapped.

2. spicewood

Jun 26, 2007
    Wait, what do you mean there is nothing to discover? Wait, why can't I advance?

All it took were a few challenges to their beliefs, not because they did not believe it...hell, they crossed the void and formed a society based on conquest because they believed it.

After the void, after some huge victories, the assault stalled and beliefs hit the reality of the situation. If the Gods wanted us to have this galaxy, why are we stuck? Why are we frustrated? We have lost a lot of warriors that will take a generation to replenish. Was this the way? Could something we have been told to believe actually be, just an opinion? Son of a!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    AusStig likes this.
  3. spicewood

Jun 26, 2007
    That also brings Jacen's relationship with the World Mind to the front, that was the point, the pivot. When he used his empathy to make the population of Yuuzhantar (sp?) question each ritual meant to reinforce their beliefs, that may have been the end. Maybe the YV lost as soon as they won...

4. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Hi @spicewood,
    you mean Jacen's relationship with the world brain. When it comes to translation of books into other languages, translating back those terms into the original language is not always easy to grasp, I know. :oops:You've got also a conversation mail from me you should read regarding double or multiple posts.[face_nail_biting]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    spicewood likes this.
  5. spicewood

Jun 26, 2007
    Will check, thanks, matey.

6. spicewood

Jun 26, 2007
    Apologies, the double posts will end now. Mohon maaf.

7. spicewood

Jun 26, 2007
    When Jacen overcame pain, found power in it, should we have been worried?

8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    writes Qurang Lah on his phone

phone autocorrects it to Quran

Sinre stares at it for a bit

The authors didn't do something that direct... did they?

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, this is the series that put out the unedited Star by Star very close to 9/11, so it might well sail that close to the edge.

Sinrebirth and Sudooku like this.
  10. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    @Sinrebirth,
    Sometimes, when I write normal German words into my smartphone, autocorrection offers me male Turkish names instead. In your example it should be vice versa instead as well.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Oh I get that, but I think naming a Yuuzhan Vong after the Quran plus one letter is so on the nose it's smashed flat.

Jedi Ben and Sudooku like this.
  12. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    I've brought up my autocorrection that way, that when I write Ts, Tsavong appears automatically on the left side of the to-write word. Right of it - to my surprise - popped up the Czech flag, surely a hint to Czech YouTuber SFero who produced a nice video about the late Warmaster, unfortunately in Czech language.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  13. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    That's both cool and bizarre in equal measures.

I miss Takhaff Uul (eying up your sig).

I actually miss the entire Yuuzhan Vong cast.

In one of my AU RPs, the Vong have just arrived and I had to research all manner of Supreme Commander name. Maal Lah was one of my favourite recurring Yuuzhan Vong, and I can't really say why. Probably because he wasn't an idiot.

Nom von Anor, AusStig, Vialco and 2 others like this.
  14. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    If they did, (which I don't think really since the Vong have nothing in common with Islam, like at all, aside from maybe having some extremists who dislike tech, the saying "the ink of a scholar is more holy than the blood of a martyr" was used to try to shut down printing press in some Islamic places), then look at how it ends, people are able to come together despite their differences and make a new future. Violence against the different (which the Vong do represent in my view 'different' and all that entails), is not the answer, making peace with, not destorying something that makes either itself, but bringing them to an understanding and existence.

At least that is my view.

I also wonder if the timing of the release of SBS affected it's popularity, since well it came out at a time of dark hour.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  15. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    The Vong aren’t remotely Islamic in either aesthetic or culture.

After all their polytheistic for one thing.

16. spicewood

Jun 26, 2007
    Pretty sure it was Star by Star that was delayed a few months by 9/11, so the series was already at the halfway mark as far as releases, likely much further along in terms of drafts for the following novels.

17. QuinlanSolo

QuinlanSolo Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 17, 2019
    The Vong in the second half of NJO aren't portrayed as Islamic, but are certainly portrayed as "fundamentalists," which in the years following 9/11 was often how Islam and other traditional religions were portrayed (by the American right, by the "New Atheists," etc.). There is some of that contemporary criticism vibe in Traitor, where the Vong's great flaw is their uncompromising dogmatism. "Qurang Lah," however, only shows up in Edge of Victory II, which was published before 9/11.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Nope, publication date was October 2001. It was unusual that they didn't delay it, never mind as to what went on in the book.

Slater likes this.
  19. spicewood

Jun 26, 2007
    Ah, thanks for the clarification. That was strange that they did not delay it.

Sudooku likes this.
  20. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I think the release date helped the books perception.

21. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    I never understood why books or films were delayed because of some grave events, unless the film studios were destroyed, of cause. [face_skull] My husband says that people don't want to see films about a pandemic during Corona times, because it would be so close. I instead would, exactly because it IS so close.

What do you think about, from where Nom Anor got his vast shaper knowledge. Did he fall in love with a shaper one time or was he taught from an illegitimate parent's side?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
  22. spicewood

Jun 26, 2007
    Yeah, if I recall, I was on Edge of Victory throughout Infantry School, then 9/11 happened a month after I finished training and checked into my unit. It did not make me stay away from the series, I enjoyed the escapism. I could certainly see it helping the series as a whole, point taken.

I was not aware Nom Anor had shaping skills, but his scheming skills...best Intendant ever lol.

Aside, whatever I choose for my next job, you all should do the opposite. I have the worst timing. Join the Marines...9/11 happens shortly after. Join the Peace Corps...a President hostile to the very idea of the PC is elected shortly after (all other politics be damned, not trying to derail a thread). Start teaching at an international school abroad, a semester later...COVID!

23. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    I really miss the scene, where Qurang Lah is delivering his report to his prominent crêche-brother about what happened at Yag D'hul in "Edge of Victory II" and especially Nom Anor's role there.

BTW, while writing the previous sentence, my auto-correction didn't propose me Quran, but now, where I have written Qurang twice on my smartphone, that YV name will be the first choice always, when I come to write Qur... .

@spicewood,
    About Nom Anor's shaping abilities was written much in Pt. I (Vector Prime), VI (Balance Point) and XVIII (The Final Prophecy).

spicewood and Sinrebirth like this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Reality and stories matching up a bit too closely is something I rarely care about, at least where SF and fantasy are concerned.

Where things cut a bit too close to real life was comedies like 2012, where a couple of characters were far too close to actual people, which undermined the humour a bit too much.

AusStig likes this.
  25. spicewood

Jun 26, 2007
    True, with sci-fi and fantasy we can basically do thought experiments, the worry about it being too close to RL kind of loses relevance when you remember we do not have laser swords and hyperspace travel. That is one of the reasons I love the genre, Star Wars especially.

Comedy is much more difficult. Someone will feel like the butt of the joke and react defensively. I think that is why we were given YJK Jacen. Not confusing Star Wars with comedy then lol.

AusStig likes this.