main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Reading NJO...Again

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicewood, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Eh? I’d say that’s more different castes slowly evolving into distinct subspecies. Given inter caste marriages were forbidden.

That said, I do think in a Vong victorious scenario, they’d have been forced to integrate converts into their social system.

Golbolco likes this.
  2. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    @Darth Invictus,
    For we didn't get such masses of converts, we go purely head canon here. What was scetched in Ylesia and what I would have liked to flash out more was how the Intendants dealt with the masses of credits, enabeling them not only to pay the Peace Brigade but to fulfill also some private wishes beyond what is provided by the centralist run war economy of the Yuuzhan Vong system. At least they had to deploy Intendants in the administration of the subjugated worlds to control the economy there and to divert funds for keeping the invasion going on with their henchmen in the Peace Brigade and some local stooges. We know that Nom Anor did already such buying solid leather boots and a blaster, but for us, this was already there. But for instance the figure of the prefect Ash'ett would had been good for to show how an average intendant is changing his lifestyle, plus a sideline illustration about how his rivalry with Nom Anor did emerge, we got to know about in The Final Prophecy only. That is one weak point I deplore.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    Irredeemable Fanboy likes this.
  3. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I'm referring more to a hypothetical post Vong victory.

A lot of GFFA citizens would convert to the Vong religion out of either demoralization, or an attempt to ingratiate themselves with the new rulers, or simply in the hopes it would make their lives more bearable.

Once this happened-then the Vong have to somehow incorporate these converts into their exclusionary religious framework.

Sudooku likes this.
  4. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    As far as different Yuuzhan Vong looking different - they do have pretty thriving plastic surgery industry. No telling what is an original part on any specific member. Maybe these other species would have been integrated into the full gamut of Yuuzhan Vong society - at least parts of them would. Look what we found in the Eighth cortex!
    As to predicting how GFFA species would fare in a post Yuuzhan Vong victory scenario: I would assume that converts would live better lives than involuntary slaves, but doubt they would be treated any better than a Shamed One.

5. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    @Riv_Shiel,
    Nen Yim looked into the Eigth cortex and it was empty. Or was
    mere sarcasm?

6. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    I was saying it from the Yuuzhan Vong top brasses perspective. Nen Yim was supposed to come up with new stuff and say that it came from the Eighth Cortex. If you have a bunch of new species to base your stuff off of, you can say that everything similar to this new galaxy was in the Eighth Cortex the whole time and use it to reinforce the theory that this galaxy was gifted to them by the Gods.

Slater, MercenaryAce, AusStig and 2 others like this.
  7. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Speaking on that subject, what if the NJO had been written that the Vong gods did exist. In some form or another?

How would that change the fundamental themes of the story? Or would it not change them much?

Personally I think it would by itself entirely change the fundamental theme and story of the NJO(not necessarily in a bad way but still).

Thoughts?

AusStig likes this.
  8. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    it would be bad. Star Wars is not that kind of setting.

Nom von Anor and Riv_Shiel like this.
  9. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    *cough* Mortis *cough*

10. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
  11. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Perhaps the Vong gods might have been an earlier introduction of the Mortis concept or something along the lines of Mortis but fallen or extragalactic.

Still, it would have changed the NJO fundamentally, into something completely different.

12. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Actually, the Vong gods could be an interpretation of the Mortis concept from a time when the Mortis concept was rather dark and in disarray. Like when Abeloth was released and not yet caught, the family torn apart, etc.

Are the twins that are lovers not like Son and Daughter of Mortis? What if the Twin Gods, Lover Gods, are actually the same as the other deity twins, Yun Yammka and Yun Harla? And Yun Q'aah and Yun Txiin are just alternate names for them? The Father found out about their forbidden love and punished them, hence they got new names and restrictions and more control from this father control freak.

Yun Yuzzhan is the Father who shaped the universe, and was tricked by Yun Harla, aka Daughter, to share some of his secrets, who she handed down to her handmaiden, Abeloth aka Yun Ne'shel.

Yun Shuno, the Shamed Ones goddess is the Force Priestess. A goddess fallen from grace with a thousand eyes. Like the Mother pushed out of the family by Abeloth, shamed by her, and thousand eyes refering to her many masks and faces depicting various emotions!

To summarise:

We have the Father / Yun Yuuzhan
    the Mother Yun Shuno
    Abeloth Yun Ne'Shel
    The Twins/Lovers Yun Q'aah Harla/Daughter and Yun Txiin Yammka/Son

One could even add Yun Lingni as Bendu if one liked!

The Mortis Vong Pantheon is complete and a 100% match, even storywise!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
  13. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Minor contradiction in Final Prophecy...Corran says his deal with Shedao Shai was that if Corran won, the Yuuzhan Vong would refrain from deploying its bioweapon on Ithor. But I clearly remember the deal was for the Vong to withdraw their forces, and that nobody on the New Republic side knew about the bioweapon beforehand.

Also in Edge of Victory: Rebirth, when Tahiri is piloting the captured Yuuzhan Vong ship, the ship is depicted as being intelligent with a mind of its own, and it forms an empathic link with the pilot...to the point that Tahiri wants to open fire on the "enemy" Givin ships. If I recall in Destiny's Way, when Jaina is piloting the Trickster, it's shown as responding more mechanically and apparently has no objection to attacking its fellow Vong ships. Haven't re-read Dark Journey, so I don't know how it's depicted there.

14. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    @Alpha-Red
    Agreed in the first point. A typical error from knowing too much in the aftermath. Perhaps it wasn't just Tahiri's ship, but her very own Yuuzhan Vong part revolting here, while Jaina didn't had such. While flying and fighting, she thinks and feels rather mechanical - and her Yuuzhan Vong ship did just adapt to its new controlessa?

Nom von Anor, AusStig and Alpha-Red like this.
  15. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Sometimes I wonder from where the NR got the information about Czulkang Lah as the father of Tsavong and him being in command over Borleias in Rebel Stand. There were no YV renegades/defectors towards the enemy until TFP. When they caught Yuuzhan Vong in battle, they killed themselves before being questioned or interrogated. Villip convos the NR couldn't overhear. Or did Dif Scaur had some special Villips to tap such enemy convos?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
    Nom von Anor, AusStig and Alpha-Red like this.
  16. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Speaking of Czulkang Lah, I was looking over at Wookieepedia and it states he was a Quorealist. I don't think that was ever brought up in Enemy Lines, was it? I think it was just a mention of him being opposed to the war or something?

17. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Czulkang Lah told his son in Rebel Dream? inasmuch that he was opposed to enter the GFFA and that was the cause of his former quarrel with his son, but now we are here and there is no need to oppose any longer. That was when Tsav asked his father to take the command of the Borleias operation. Czulkang's thrawnness to enter the new galaxy was taken as an indication that he was a Quorealist. Harrar later told Luke in TUF about the Quorealists and how Shimrra came to power.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
  18. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Yeah that makes sense, I just didn't remember it being explicitly spelled out that he was a Quorealist.

19. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Waru should have met the Vong... his Anti-Force fits their different shifted Force spectrum. And he kinda looks like a giant plated villip.

20. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    @ColeFardreamer @Sudooku I think the Yuuzhan Vong gods were, in the old days of Yuuzhan'tar, the way the Planet's conscience manifested the Force to the Yuuzhan Vong, representing each side of existence that they had to honor (Life, Love, Death, Shame, etc.) of course these ideas got severely twisted as time went on and especially after the Yuuzhan Vong were cut off from the Force, but the primary idea is that Yuuzhan'tar (the conscience, who had the strongest connection to the Force and from which the Yuuzhan Vong were "symbiotes" of) "connected" them to the Force in a certain way, as in, he was their link to the greater truth due to how connected all life was in the planet, so he decided to manifest the different aspects of nature in a similar way to Sekot's usage of Anakin Skywalker, Vergere or Jabitha when needing different emphasis in her interactions with her hosts, and it would make sense as Yuuzhan'tar, unlike Sekot, was really old and likely knew a lot of the great mysteries of the Force and how each aspect of the energy was vital for existence, so he tried to teach his people.

In short: the Yuuzhan Vong Gods were manifestations of the Force through Yuuzhan'tar, that's my theory, and it works in establishing why the Yuuzhan Vong finding their home in Zonama Sekot is so important for their redemption, as it could bring them back their "gods" in their purest forms, with time.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
  21. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I like the idea. Also that Yun-Yammka was not one of these aspects given he was invented later by the priests.

Irredeemable Fanboy likes this.
  22. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Some more thoughts on Edge of Victory II. After killing the worldship, Kyp says that the Yuuzhan Vong now have to choose between letting their civilians freeze to death in the intergalactic void or diverting ships away from the front lines to evacuate them. But the Yuuzhan Vong already had the means to evacuate the worldships, and chose not to. Why would they do any differently with a new worldship, as opposed to sending it to the frontlines as well?

Also, how does Kyp come by this information? I doubt he flew out into the intergalactic void, because it's mostly all just a bunch of empty space...so, torture? Yuuzhan Vong warriors, shapers and priests wouldn't break under torture...so I guess a Shamed One? Lastly, in Rebel Stand we see it takes a Super Star Destroyer smashing into a worldship to kill it, but here all it takes is a Bothan assault cruiser and a few smaller ships. It's not a fully grown worldship, but still that's a much tinier amount of firepower by comparison.

ColeFardreamer, Sudooku and AusStig like this.
  23. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I think he just meant they now have fewer ships to do either.

Also new growths are generally softer than old ones, it's entirely possible that the world ship didn't have it's "shell" yet.

24. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Jumped back to Agents of Chaos I...heck at this rate I may as well re-read the entire series.

- I posted here that the Millennium Falcon should be a speedy getaway ship, not a warship. Han says much the same thing, "the Falcon's better configured for running away than engagement". James Luceno agrees with me!
    - There's a meeting of the high-ranking New Republic intelligence officers where they're discussing the Yuuzhan Vong's military strength and their origins. There's speculation that the Yuuzhan Vong came out of an unexplored region of the galaxy, but this is dismissed on the basis that such a powerful military force could not have existed without the New Republic knowing about it. *ahem* First Order *ahem*
    - I also posted here that a droid should just be able to have its brain backed up and transferred to a new chassis to keep it going for a long time, if not forever. Lo and behold, Han mentions this possibility to C-3PO. James Luceno agrees with me again!
    - Also near the end, Han is half-wondering, "Did Chewie save my life by somehow talking to me through the Force? No way." Conversing with the dead despite them not being Force-sensitive? Brings to mind the scene of dead Han and Ben Solo in TROS.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  25. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Go for it.

It is funny how stuff 'rhymes' in star wars.

Alpha-Red likes this.