main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Reading NJO...Again

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicewood, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    More like...these books are trolling me through time :p

Lastly, I've been picturing Sean Bean as Reck Desh in my mind.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    Nom von Anor and AusStig like this.
  2. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    I picture James Coburn, mostly because the type of scoundrel you see in Han Solo and his corner of the fringe always reminded me of the kind you'd find in classic Westerns.

Although this is a generation after Yavin, so I'm picturing Maverick era James Coburn, not The Magnificent Seven era James Coburn.

AusStig and Alpha-Red like this.
  3. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    And I was trolled by Star by Star, when in the wake of this Christmas I watched with my son the "Never Ending Story - The Next Chapter (2)" by. George T. Miller from 1990. After the embedded scene, there is another scene, where Nimbly (Vergere) is quarrelling with Tri-Face (Nom Anor) about who is incompetent and is to blame for failure. While Lady Xayide is Tsavong Lah in her red glittery robe. And Bastian is Jacen.

Perhaps some of you still know the title song for the first part of the Never Ending Story, sung by Limahl in 1984, a great year for good music. :)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  4. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    And today I was NJO-trolled again: In TV I saw a trailer for
    Did you have seen already the bad guys there? The pictures in the TV-spot were even more explicit in resemblence to a certain extragalactic species.[face_whistling]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    AusStig likes this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Which one of them?

6. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    So if the NJO was ever adapted, what scenes do you think would look the coolest/most dramatic/memorable on screen?

For me it would be Chewbacca’s death, Anakin’s death, Ganner’s last stand, Jacen’s moment of Oneness, Onimi’s reveal(“Shimmra was Shimmra and I am I”) and the duel between Shedao Shai and Corran Horn for the fate of Ithor.

But what about everyone else, the NJO has a lot of cinematic “moments” that would look and feel amazing on screen.

AusStig and Alpha-Red like this.
  7. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    When you already can ask such a question, then you probably know more about the series than I do actually. [face_laugh]

@Darth Invictus,

Just to add some more points to your very appreciated list of NJO's cinematic climactic moments:
    • Kyp Durron and Jaina destroing the young worldship on the remains of Sernpidal
    • The death of Vua Rapuung and Mezhan Quaads confession that it was her and not the gods, in whom she doesn't believe anyway
    • The moment in the Turbolift, when Anakin and Tahiri find out that that other Givin was a certain Yuuzhan Vong
    • Tsavong Lah coming out of the sauna - claiming Seev
    • Tsavong Lah popping out of the window on Duro
    • Nom Anor's speeches before the senate
    • Lomi Plo's lightning web grilling the YV-warrior
    • Fey'lya's death
    • Jacens cave beast scene while he was trying to escape Vergere and Nommie.
    • Viqi Shesh hanging over the waste pit convincing Tsavong Lah about the treason against him committed by some priests and shapers
    • Tsavong Lah dying on Ebaq 9
    • Saba Sebatyne realizing her mistake after she had blown up the slave ship, hence erasing her kin/d
    • Gilead Pellaeon pardoning Moff Kurlen Flennic and honoring Jacen
    • That tentacle wheel locking in the GA-forces over Mon Cala, a strategic and tactical masterpiece of Nas Choka's genius as Warmaster
    • The surrender of the Yuuzhan Vong at Zonama Sekot when all their weaponery is getting a live on their on, spreading out without any further control into the jungle.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    Alpha-Red likes this.
  8. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    NJO should've gotten the comic adaption, instead of re-doing the 0 to 3 ABY timeline.

Ackbar's Fishsticks and AusStig like this.
  9. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I agree with most of these.

I don't think Corran is needed. You could cut those books entirely depending upon how you wanted to adapt them.

The last stand at the world brain should be kept (in my idea it's Vergre).

I would also include the space battle at the end of TUF, with ZS and Coruscant as the two focal points. As well the first look at vongformed coruscant with the rainbow ring.

10. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I think the fleet fighting over Coruscant as platforms and skyhooks are destroyed while civilian ships flee and refugee ships are smashed into the shields would be a great visual. The mixture of Star Destroyers, Mon Calamari Star Cruisers, Bothan Assault Cruisers, new generation frigates and corvettes plus starfighters versus Yuuzhan Vong craft. God imagine the visual.

11. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I think it would be really good. Especially as the shields start to fail and heroes start trying to escape. Maybe if we just follow the falcon as it flees.

12. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    I think I'm pretty hesitant about seeing the NJO depicted in any visual format, because most of the artwork I've seen of the Yuuzhan Vong and their biotechnology looks really fugly to me [face_plain]

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  13. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    What did you think of invasion?

14. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Haven't actually read that. I was just going off the images I've seen online.

15. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Ok. Some of the images show the vong a in decent light i think.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  16. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    I don´t think I could ever enjoy an adaptation of NJO. Though I am generally very critical when it comes to adaptations and consider even the LotR movies highly flawed in that deparment (though still good movies in and of themselves). I feel for logistical reason they would have to cut so much, make so many changes... I just don´t think it would have nearly the impact the books had. Also I feel some parts might be unfilmable, like Jacen´s moment of oneness, how do you even depict that? As a CGI firework? Every Marvel movie these days has those, it not special at all anymore.

17. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    The scene in Vector Prime where Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin do a Force-bond and effortlessly vape a couple squadrons of coralskippers while in an asteroid field.

AusStig likes this.
  18. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    the most cinematic scene of the NJO I wanna see on screen? Jaina in a Bacta Tank...

well either that or Hapan Battle Dragons in fleet action!

the Vong invading Yavin IV and Anakin rescuing Tahiri

The war between Witches of Dathomir and Vong that failed to invade for 6 months straight in a battle on the planet

Dark Journey's dance scene with Jaina in a dress!

Tenel Ka ascending the throne!

any Tenel Ka scene really...

also there are plenty cinematic moments in the Finn Galfridian NJO comic run!

Sudooku likes this.
  19. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Agents of Chaos II...Malik Carr and Nom Anor are meeting with Borga. Borga is in the female phase of the Hutt lifecycle, and there is confusion over which gender pronouns to use. Well doesn't that sound like current issues? Book is trolling me again.

Malik Carr is also surprised that Borga is carrying live offspring, something that only the lower castes do. So how do the Yuuzhan Vong normally reproduce? I remember another book (maybe Destiny's Way) where Shimrra says they've been throwing away too many warriors and urges the Yuuzhan Vong to get busy making more babies. So that has to mean they do it the old-fashioned way, right? Do they then take the developing embryo or fetus out somehow and put it into some other creature for gestation? And then pull them out like the Uruk-hai in Lord of the Rings?

Also, if Shimrra wants more Yuuzhan Vong babies, well there's no way they could grow up fast enough to make a difference in the war. Unless...do the Yuuzhan Vong use growth acceleration like the Spaarti or Kaminoan clones? I guess that would be perfectly plausible.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  20. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Eh the Vong don’t look attractive or aesthetically appealing. Nor does their tech. Would it look bad on screen? Maybe, but you could find a way to make it look menacing but not too much of an eyesore.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  21. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    @Alpha-Red,

Shimrra's order for more breeding was in DW. And, yes, they take the embryos out of the womb and into some breeding facility, maybe already attached to the later creche?

Nom Anor stated to himself in FH I, that I'pan's face looked quite uncoth (a misplaced nose). He assumed bad breeding programs to be the cause. So as long as certain proportions are kept, and the implants are functioning, the Yuuzhan Vong must be considered as handsome. And while Niiriit in that volume had such a crush on Nommie, and later Ngaaluh, he couldn't have looked that ugly either. ;)

22. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Oh, yeah but I mean, I want to see menacing-ugly, whereas most of the artwork of the Yuuzhan Vong seem to be silly-ugly.

Was this mentioned anywhere else? That passage from FH1 seems like just a really brief off-hand mention.

23. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    How so?

To use one example, the art work piece where Vergere surrenders to the Vong, that piece paints the Vong in an aesthetically menacing but also formidable light.

24. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
  25. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I think it is just different art styles

What do you think of this style?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]