main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Reading NJO...Again

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicewood, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    And I learned recently by sneaking into the audio book of "Vector Prime", that the word Yammosk is emphasized at the second syllable, not at the first one as I thought until now.

Haha! [face_party]I didn't even know the word jester until I got acquainted with NJO.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Atollon_Dweller likes this.
  2. Atollon_Dweller

Atollon_Dweller Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2019
    Traitor and The Unifying Force are the only NJO books i've read more than once.

Ghost and Force Smuggler like this.
  3. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Update: completely stalled out on Force Heretic 2. Reading Last Shot right now instead. Still not sure if I want to skip Force Heretic or slog through just for the Tahiri/Riina stuff.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

4. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    So two thirds of the way though Dark Journey.

So leia acts like Kyp was a murderer for attacking an enemy ship yard? Leia, you know the rebels did THIS EXCAT THING. Luke lead the attack.

Any way, 'chose and act'.

This really does feel like Jaina traitor, this is her time in the underworld.

Hapes are evil and dumb, focused on plotting while the galaxy burns around them.

I do like Jaina's journey it is interesting. Also like Kyp and Jag, doing there things. Jaina crushing on Jag while Zekk leaves is also good. Another sign of how she is growing beyond her old life.

Atollon_Dweller and Nom von Anor like this.
  5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Add Destiny's Way to my list.

6. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    I've read them all at least 5 times [face_plain]

AusStig likes this.
  7. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    I'm reading Jedi Eclipse at the moment and when I came to the really exciting dialogue between Nas Choka and Borga Besadii Diori, I remembered that scene from TCW, S. 4, the end of ep.. "Naboo Crisis"

To remember: Choka told Borga (as I can translate it): For your share in this catch [Wurth Skidder] you have my word, that Nal Hutta will stay under your rule, as long as I live and breathe. If you are not a fool who dares to deceive me.
    And Borga replies: Then prosperity may accompany you wherever you go.

So do you think Dave Filoni took this trope from NJO?

BTW, regarding TCW: When I read about priestess Vaecta, I always imagine her to be similar to the old Daka from Dathomir without a nose.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  9. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    The only thing I thought was missing from the NJO is a more detailed Tenel Ka storyline. She was there in first few books mentioned or with her parents, sidelined mostly in Star by Star and then Dark Journey had her more. All else was more due to Hapan stuff needed for warmachine than her herself.

If one would flesh out Tenel Ka's storyline more, I'd be happy. Did any fanfic try in a serious way?

First she was off on a mission/apprenticed maybe with a Rodian Jedi Knight. Then with her parents on Hapes, then again on a Jedi mission with the Strike Team, then she became Queenmother upon her mothers death/assassination. I mean I am ok with her and Jacen loosing sight of each other due to war and duty in first half, briefly reuniting only with emotions suppressed due to mission. But we need more of her side of the story.

And add into that the nice wotc piece about Dathomirs fate during the invasion, how witches held back the Vong for six months on their own in surface battles. How Hapes helped and intervened given its their Queenmothers and crown Princesses homeworld and the official 64th member world even if outside the cluster as per what Courtship intended for it at the end. Might also tie into its later depictions by Allston in FOTJ with male clans and Hapan settlers onworld. Seeing the transgression to that.

Also Kirana Ti and her husband and daughters may factor into this heavily, or later relatives of her that showed up in later works. Likewise expand more Tenel Ka's cousins and extended family.

10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd love more stories on Hapes during the War. Post Fondor and Post DJ would help nicely.

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    No. Anywhere but Hapes, screw Hapes.

I want A'Baht versus the Vong.

12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Why not both?

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    This is Hapes:

[​IMG]

A vile cesspit.

Atollon_Dweller and Nom von Anor like this.
  14. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Might I please ask you to not bash others favourites? Not liking it, ok. But "screw Hapes" is not what we need here. A'Baht vs Vong is nice, not my fav but nice. I really want to discuss stuff here without having to read negativity like your post. If fans would concentrate on what they like instead of degrading what others like, we'd be a lot further here and maybe have fandom petitions for what we want to see instead of petitions against what we don't want. Also, language, I am fine with screwing Hapes... if it is done well and the story fits it can take some beating and get reborn from the ashes stronger and more beautiful. After all that is what hapes was founded on with the women emerging from their pirate captors!

Sudooku and Gamiel like this.
  15. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    The Hapans are as insular as they are greedy and grasping. But they have an interesting culture, and I always enjoyed reading about them.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    And that's why I have the view I have of them - I didn't enjoy reading of them.

Couple of things:
    • It's not a bash on FS, who knows me well enough to also know it isn't - you like Hapes? I'm not asking you to change your mind.
    • It's an opinion - you're free to disagree, to find value where I see none.
    A large part of my dislike for Hapes is also that, for me, they hog the limelight. Be nice to see other worlds get a look in but Hapes just doesn't get off the stage. But that's just my take, not saying it has to be yours or anyone else's.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Sinrebirth and AusStig like this.
  17. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013

It clearly is bashing (and on my posts, not FS ones) if you look at the language you used as well as the intent of the posts that did not add anything to the discussion but negativity. Add to that the choice of your above picture. There is no sweettalking that now in hindsight. And I find it especially out of place considering this board also is frequented by kids not just veteran adult fans like us. You may use that kind of talk/post with your friends elsewhere maybe but I find it rather inappropriate. That is why I reported your post to the mods!

If you disagree with my or others opinion you may voice that in a more civil manner and even ask us to not derail the topic or create our own. If the majority agrees, we do it and ok. There is no need for you to comment or discuss Hapes if you dislike it for the sole purpose of forcing others to stop talking about it or wanting more of it. To each his/her own.

Hapes was off the stage for quite a while, which is why I was curious for what it was doing in the background of the NJO. Other worlds sure need the spotlight too. But all that is Legends now and won't ever happen again anyway sadly. So why keep bashing and not celebrate what we loved about the past instead of making it sour for others?

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    At this point the only thing you have convinced me of is that you would have found huge fault with whatever language was used. Would adding an emoticon or two to indicate a less than deadly serious point have helped? Maybe, maybe not.

At this point any further explanation I give will clearly deemed as either bashing or some other charge.

I like talking SW, both the aspects I like and those not. More importantly I like talking about why something is positive or negative for me. If it happens that whatever is of use to someone else then that's cool.

I dislike greatly this idea that discussion must only be destructive, with a winner or loser. Those tend to lead nowhere good. What's a shame here is this could have become a really good one. It could have been mutually beneficial, with nothing at stake, just the aim of understanding perspectives.

I also doubt greatly that I somehow have this vast influence and power to turn an entire thread of multiple posters in one direction! I'm far from being Darth Sidious!

One last recommendation before exiting. Given this exchange, don't go anywhere near any Denningverse thread. You'd really not like it.

19. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010

Sir this is offensive to vile cesspits!

But yeah hapes are racist sexist short sighted and evil.

They were used well in early NJO (an alley to call upon) but the Denningverse takes them too much.

Reading Dark Journey, my dislike of them just grows. I don't like that Tenel Ka is rulling them, but I honestly never liked her too much to start with.
    I do like how the book seems to know how stupid they are, unlike the Denningverse, which seems to think they are perfect aside from the old queen mother.
    But I do like Jaina's story, how she is growing and moving beyond her old role into a new one.

Although 'sword of the jedi' is a title that goes no where.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  20. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Just one question about Hero's Trial: Why Nom Anor has an empty eye socket at Harrar's and Elan's presence? He wasn't disgraced this time yet as everything still did proceed according to his plans.

BTW: I liked how he cared for Elan's survival in that passage he spoke with Harrar about her mission.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    With a view to getting this back on track, it remains a shame that there is so little further NJO content. Both to support the overall arc - see Invasion and Mercy Kill - and the follow through, the Legacy comics.

22. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    He removed his implant, as it can spit acid and thus can be considered a weapon.

23. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    In the presence of his fellow people? Later on Shimrra's court he had a new black Plaeryn Bol and nobody there considered Nommie a threat (except high prefect Drathul of course :p)

It just doesn't make sense to me, for at Hero's Trial Nom was already close to Harrar.

24. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Would you trust Nom Anor?

Shimrra had more confidence in himself I feel.

25. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    This was not bashing, nor was it a personal attack. People are allowed to like or dislike whatever they choose. No one says you can't like something, the same way no one is saying that you have to. Period. End of discussion.

--Adm. Nick, Moderator