main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Ready Player One- book and film discussion thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm sure copyrights had a lot to do with it. Maybe partially due to the notion that some of those challenges mentioned in the book paid homages to games from three decades ago that maybe one in every 300 people had ever heard of.

2. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    if copy right had to do with it then I am totally ok with it I mean what was Spielberg supposed to do. as for movie goers not knowing the source material of movies and such from 30 some odd years ago that I disagree with who is this movie for mostly people that read the book or people that didn't and know nothing about it? I personally read the book and loved It. It kind of reminds me of Spielberg's Jurassic Park The Lost World I read The Lost World book first and loved It but when I saw the Movie there were a lot of differences but the movie was still really enjoyable.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  3. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Well you should see the complaints on the movie's main FB page of those book-loyalists screaming about the chances. I get more annoyed with them than I do those who just didn't care for the novel in the first place. At least the haters will always stick to their guns, whatever the reason; the RPO loyalists for the most part are crazy over such trivial changes from the book to the movie. Some of the change complaints have more merit than others, like how the protagonists met for the first time or how the time frame in general varies between the book and the movie. The complaints about the challenges in the movie just make no sense to me. IT'S A MOVIE. PEOPLE BOTH YOUNG AND OLD WANT TO BE ENTERTAINED. That "nostalgia" bug gets old if you're forcing most moviegoers to sit there wondering what it is they're supposed to recognize.

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  4. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I think there Is enough of the source material in the movie to make it worth while! and the Nostalgic Homages are worth it alone even ones that weren't in the book like The Shining that was awesome! I learned a long time ago to not be to hard on a movie for not following the book because after all the movie is just based on the book not actually the book. My sister is the exact opposite it angers her greatly if the movie doesn't follow the book exactly. I think if most people did that they wouldn't like most movies they see because a fair number of movies are based on books. That being said I loved the book Ready Player One Its hard to fathom for me people not liking the book.

two examples of movies based on books that didn't follow the book exactly but I really liked the movies,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And this Is the "IT" version that just came out and had all those 1980's homages I really liked the movie I actually saw it At Disney Springs AMC In Orlando!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  5. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    The kicker is that Ernest Cline was the co-screenwriter of the movie. It's not like Spielberg stole the essence of Cline's book just to turn it upside down into a box office smash; Cline himself must've accepted the fact that parts of the book wouldn't translate very well on the big screen.

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  6. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    Cline was also a consultant on the film and often on set, Very good point! I think most posters on here love or really like the film!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    "A fanboy knows a hater." This didn't jump out amidst the dialogue but I would call it quite pertinent to discussion everywhere.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  8. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    You can recognize haters and not necessarily be a "fanboy".

9. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    Were all Fanboys here but not all of us are negative for Instance I am a Fanboy who likes all 9 Star Wars movies and I even saw the Clone Wars movie that Dave Filoni Directed I saw The Clone Wars movie In the theater and I really liked It!

10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    References not everyone would have understood?

Isn't that the point of RPO?

11. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    No, that's the point of those books recommended in the first several pages of this thread actually.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I UNDERSTOOD THAT REFERENCE!
    Also since I won't see the film, can you confirm for me that it's First Blood Pt II Rambo, who makes out with Pac-Man?

13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Seen this movie twice already, really quite liked it. Went with sister and cousin yesterday for various reasons, mostly had a 2 4 1 voucher and the 1st time I went I had to miss 2 or 3 minutes and I really wanted to see what I had missed. And I missed the entire bit

"It's %#$&ing Chucky!!"

Definitely worth a 2nd viewing for that.

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I fixed this @Diggy

Diggy and CT-867-5309 like this.
  15. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Now excuse me while I just watch a movie from 150 years ago, and talk about it in the other movies thread to give everyone the impression that I'm smarter than they are.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Not Rambo 1 but 2, when he was cut up.

Ender Sai likes this.
  17. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I don't read fiction books, so safe to say I've never read it, I'm an avid reader but it's journal articles, news, and non-fiction books on the film industry for me. So I cannot compare how the movie was to the book. I really enjoyed the movie, though, as anyone who knows me realizes it's almost crazy for me to say but Ready Player One was one of the best looking movies I've ever seen, Star Wars included. Of course, looks aren't everything, but I was visually blown away by the movie. I just felt like it was so much fun to watch in IMAX, I really didn't care that much about some of the flaws or issues I had with the movie (I don't want to say "flaws" because it makes it sound like they're actual real things, there are just some opinions I have about some choices, that's all). I was tempted to go back and see it in IMAX again just because it looks so amazing.

Two members of my extended family, late 40s or so, they both hated it. I honestly just don't think they got it, at all. They didn't get any of the references, they don't understand that they are actually watching the future, pretty much. People can be pretty clueless and science fiction often depends on understanding quite a lot about the world around you. People like that haven't ever played modern video games, probably not even old ones, in this particular case of my family, and I doubt they realize that with things like Bitcoin and PSVR, all of the "groundwork" for something like an Oasis is honestly already there. They probably aren't familiar with things like Second Life, either, the idea that people actually make money in a virtual world, own real estate, go to parties, even hold concerts and lectures, all in a virtual world, and that has been the case for a decade-plus I think. Second Life is old.

My only issues with Ready Player One are more like "gee if I was 12, that would have been perfect for me" kind of stuff. In other words, some cheesy moments here and there, as some Spielberg movies have, but the cheese is light and it's spread around, it's nothing offensive. It's just a little bit here and there, which is fine. The other thing is I gained a new respect for Gareth Edwards as a director of actors, or I lost some respect for Spielberg, not sure which. Ben Mendelsohn was pretty terrible in this movie, I'm not going to lie. I'm the type of moviegoer who more or less thinks actors are either a 0 or a 1, like a binary "I believed them in the role" or "I didn't believe them in the role," and that's kind of that. I'm the same as a director, either your performance rings true and I believe you as this character I need you to play, or whatever you're doing just isn't working and I can see you acting. I think "great acting" is less of an individual movie thing and more of a "wow this actor can play so many different roles in so many different movies, they are clearly unbelievably talented." Because it's almost kind of an odd concept that someone's performance could be a 7 out of 10 in a movie. What exactly does that even mean? Like 7 out of 10 lines were believable? To me that's a terrible actor, because every 3rd line or so at that rate is so bad it takes me out of the movie. So I'm not sure I grade acting performances like some people do, because it's really pretty simple -- it works or it doesn't work.

Ben Mendelsohn didn't work in this movie. He stole Rogue One, he was the best actor in the movie and I loved his character. I could just see this guy, fighting for power, wanting to rise through the ranks, being annoyed by constant bureaucracy and pettiness above him, he seemed like a really interesting character to me. I loved his mannerisms. I thought this guy is a great actor. I love him. In Ready Player One, I found a lot of his lines laughable, and it wasn't the line, it was the delivery. Since I know he can act, I have nobody to blame but the director. Spielberg did a poor job directing him. Or more accurately, whatever decision he made about the character was the wrong one. His decision was, "Ok this guy is the villain, and apparently we're making this movie for little kids, so we're going to make him REALLY over the top AT ALL TIMES. He should always be ridiculous, he should deliver his lines in overdramatic fashion," I mean there were times it was among the worst performances I've seen in a major blockbuster, and I've seen Megan Fox in Transformers. It took me out of the movie. He seemed evil just for the sake of being evil, but was a completely two-dimensional character, and worse than that, he wasn't given any subtly in his line delivery. It was always maximum brooding, maximum evil, how ridiculous can we be with this one? Either Ben thought he was making a kids movie, and Spielberg never corrected him, or Spielberg told him to do this. But... it was a mark against what is still my favorite movie of 2018 so far. So that's a shame. Fortunately, it didn't ruin the movie, it just ruined the villain, which because of the eye candy I could forgive, somehow. That's good this movie looks.

18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I dig Mendelsohn a lot in both Ready Player One and Rogue One, and I didn't personally see much of a difference in his performances. Not that is a bad thing, he's a solid heavy. I think a difference to me in R1 he's a whiny sadist, and in RPO he's more of a corporate suit who is irritated by the whole Oasis as opposed to Krennic who was in awe and glee at what he created.

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Bowen, there are better stories that actually contemplate the future in a similar (but not as terrible) capacity as RPO.

20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    It's just a different type of role; as you suggest. Yes, he's an antagonist, but he doesn't necessarily come off as someone who's driven by ego (like Krennic obviously is). And I've seen Saturday Morning cartoon-esque villains show up in movies, and Mendelsohn's character in RPO wasn't among them. Jeez, if people weren't so biased in this forum, some might argue that Vader in ANH might fit that category. Yes, he's the bad guy. We're not supposed to like him.

21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Did you just accuse other people of being bias.

Oh my days.

Ender Sai likes this.
  22. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Gee, I'm sorry. I guess I should relent to peer pressure and read Snow Crash after all; because it will make me a better person than I am now.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Well, it couldn't make you worse.

Ender Sai and tom like this.
  24. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Wait, I thought RPO was supposed to make me worse.

25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    That damage has been done.