main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Amph Ready Player One- book and film discussion thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 6

Oct 28, 2014
    What's kinda funny is that the same VR goggles that they wear in the movie is similar to the VR headsets already available. The thing is, as far as I know, there aren't too many apps out that are available in realtime.

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  3. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC 100 Day Star Wars Challenge Host star 6 VIP - Game Host

Sep 30, 2012
    You guys fight a lot. Anyway, I loved the film a lot. I don’t read books, but I’m really tempted to give RPO a go now.

Grey Matter and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  4. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Virtual insanity is what we're living in

Ender Sai likes this.
  5. Grey Matter

Grey Matter Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2016
    Just seeing the DeLorean in the trailer was enough to pique my interest (haven't read the book), and I finally got around to seeing the film yesterday. I really enjoyed it, especially once I realized the Chocolate Factory parallel. I also like the thematic similarities to Person of Interest, and found some parts very relatable.

I agree it's appropriate, and an example of the repeat value I think the film will have. Lines like that, and some other moments, flew by me, e.g. I think I heard a TIE Fighter at one point.

6. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    "The book was better" is a phrase that will damage a movie's reputation, even among people who would never read the book. It makes them think there is something wrong with the movie. It also doesn't make sense. Books aren't to be read with a movie adaptation in mind, even if you know there is one in existence. It's unfortunate all the whining about differences from the book affected the performance of this movie, along with the emphasis in all the news stories on references and "Easter Eggs." I would see it a third time if it were still in a good theater. Having grown up with Spielberg and Lucas (with John Williams and ILM) fantasy adventure movies being exceptional, and getting a nostalgic feeling of the early '80s when Jurassic Park was released, it still feels odd to see their movies get overshadowed by the action adventure fantasy movie series.

SWpants likes this.
  7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  8. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I've already ordered a copy of the Blu-Ray from Amazon. Should get it tomorrow.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    It's also unlikely that a filmmaker of SPielberg's calibre would be outclassed by a hack of Cline's calibre.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Got the Bblu Ray tuesday but probably won't have time to watch it for a bit (had the chance to see Jaws tonight, so that supersedes Spielberg's latest ;)). Looking forward to the features on that one.

11. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    [face_laugh] Definitely one of the best "Honest Trailers" I've seen in a while.

RP1 came out during my first vacation of this year and now it's hitting DVD a few days before my second. Synergy! But I don't plan to revisit it right away. I enjoyed the book, but had mixed feelings about the movie. I think I need a bit more breathing room from both before I give it another go to see if it plays differently from a different vantage point.

12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I read somewhere that Spielberg, Cline, or some outside source is sponsoring an "Easter Egg" contest for the DVD/Blu-Ray almost along the same lines that Cline did when the original book first came out.

13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I'm going to hold off on buying the Blu Ray until after Thanksgiving as I'm betting it will be a Black Friday deal and I'm in not a hurry to see the movie again as I feel it's much better on a IMax screen.

14. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    just saw this .
    Well - I really enjoyed it for about 90 mins. then got a bit tired of all the CG .

I think they spent too much time in CG land , and the romance felt very underdeveloped .
    the treasure hunt plot worked really well to keep it interesting but that too felt like it fizzled out towards the end .

that chase at the beginning is stunning , and it was fascinating to see The Shining used like that .
    but - yeah a lot of fun .

15. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 5

Sep 2, 2012

Wonder what geek properties he's going to r̶i̶p̶-̶o̶f̶f̶ pay homage to in this one.

Luke02 likes this.
  16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Oh I love this news

Ahsoka's Tano and Luke02 like this.
  17. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2005
    Ah, who can forget the days of Ender Sai's subtle and nuanced criticisms?

18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    They didn't really bother me.

I'll most likely pre-order the novel; unless Cline has a book tour with signings where I'd be inclined to attend. I went to his last one, for Armada. He signed my book, "MTFBWYA!"

19. dp4m

dp4m Also a Narc star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    "************, ***** -- wipe yo' ***?"

Rylo Ken and Diggy like this.
  20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
  21. Diggy

Diggy Force Ghost star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    May this ****ing book wipe your ass?

Rylo Ken and Coruscant like this.
  22. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    The book bothers you that much? Wow. Sorry about that.

23. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
    So they released the plot synopsis for the sequel and it's...pretty much the same as the first book:

[​IMG]

24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2005
    If there was one thing that would make Ender Sai do whatever he needed to do to come back to tf.n, Ready Player Two would be it.

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  25. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
    That "wildly original" descriptor has got to be sarcasm, right?