main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Ready Player One- book and film discussion thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Weren't some of the EU trash on the NYT best seller list?

Ender Sai likes this.
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    BTW, I feel like I contribute to the boards getting slower and slower each time I post an animated GIF, so I'm doing my patriotic duty here before Thursday...

EDIT:
    Most of them.

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

So were Legacy of the Force novels.

So was the Secret.

As Battlefront has proven, sales and quality are distinct and unrelated concepts.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Feel free to rearrange those two to suit your personal preferences, I suppose.

Ender Sai likes this.
  5. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

You could say that for all three of the PT movies.

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008

7. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    you could say that for most popular movies.

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Oh and I would. They're objectively the worst things ever, with no redeeming qualities at all. Stupid plots and paper thin characters, appreciated by an audience so incapable of critical thought it makes the North Koreans look like bacchanalian bohemians by contrast.

9. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    We're in the thread about RPO, which has nothing to do with Legacy of the Force, The Secret, and Battlefront.

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    They absolutely do though, because they're all terrible and people believe they're not?

11. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    That's a matter of opinion. Not everyone thinks those novels are terrible; and certainly not everyone thinks RPO is as bad as you claim it to be.

12. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    we mostly share opinions here. not sure what other kinds of conversations we could really sustain.

Boba Nekhbet and Ender Sai like this.
  13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Eh, I somewhat feel you're grasping here because The Secret is a lifestyle book which is objectively terrible, and the others are entertainment only and therefore subjectively terrible / entertaining.

But when I was doing online dating, anyone who listed The Secret as their favorite book was a hard-pass.

14. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

So then we agree that to say something is "terrible" is just a matter of one's own opinion and not the general consensus.

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

https://theoutline.com/post/2076/ready-player-one-movie-bad
    http://www.usgamer.net/articles/rea...me-wonder-what-the-hell-everyone-read-in-2011
    https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/ready-player-one-finds-the-bleak-limits-of-nostalgia-1797497066

"
    I also watched every single film he referenced in the Almanac. If it was one of Halliday’s favorites, like WarGames, Ghostbusters, Real Genius, Better Off Dead, or Revenge of the Nerds, I rewatched it until I knew every scene by heart.
    I devoured each of what Halliday referred to as “The Holy Trilogies”: Star Wars (original and prequel trilogies, in that order), Lord of the Rings, The Matrix, Mad Max, Back to the Future, and Indiana Jones...
    I also absorbed the complete filmographies of each of his favorite directors. Cameron, Gilliam, Jackson, Fincher, Kubrick, Lucas, Spielberg, Del Toro, Tarantino. And, of course, Kevin Smith.
    I spent three months studying every John Hughes teen movie and memorizing all the key lines of dialogue.
    Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.
    You could say I covered all the bases.
    “I studied Monty Python. And not just Holy Grail, either. Every single one of their films, albums, and books, and every episode of the original BBC series. (Including those two “lost” episodes they did for German television.)
    I wasn’t going to cut any corners.”"

" watched every episode of The Greatest American Hero, Airwolf, The A-Team, Knight Rider, Misfits of Science, and The Muppet Show.
    What about The Simpsons, you ask?
    I knew more about Springfield than I knew about my own city.
    Star Trek? Oh, I did my homework. TOS, TNG, DS9. Even Voyager and Enterprise. I watched them all in chronological order. The movies, too. Phasers locked on target.
    I gave myself a crash course in ‘80s Saturday-morning cartoons.
    I learned the name of every last goddamn Gobot and Transformer.
    Land of the Lost, Thundarr the Barbarian, He-Man, Schoolhouse Rock!, G.I. Joe—I knew them all. Because knowing is half the battle.
    Who was my friend, when things got rough? H.R. Pufnstuf.
    Japan? Did I cover Japan?
    Yes. Yes indeed. Anime and live-action. Godzilla, Gamera, Star Blazers, The Space Giants, and G-Force. Go, Speed Racer, Go."

You're right. I just had to do some Google sleuthing to work out if Ernest Cline shared a birthday with Alfred, Lord Tennyson because it might hint at a recincarnation or something. Since the last time I saw words woven so artfully together was in Charge of the Light Brigade.

Which ironically sees them riding on, and well; o'er the jaws of death, into the lungs of hell where they can purchase RPO and other Ernest Cline novels for the low low price of their integrity.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Except on the prequels.

17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    well not exactly. we have eventually come to an agreement that everything is terrible, but which terrible things you decide to like or dislike is indeed entirely up to you.

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Everything is awful...
    Everything is crap when on the JC...
    Everything is awful...
    When you post with Daveed...

19. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Alright mate, come on. That's enough now.

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Sorry, The LEGO Movie is ideal pablum for this thread, no?

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    it had no pretension and succeeded on charm, innocence and wit.

So, you know, the opposite of RPO?

23. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

Still matters of opinion; albeit not yours.

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    No you're right. Scores of people take umbrage with masturbatory nostalgia for its own sake, but a handful of gamers who ironically didn't live through the 80s are just pumped that a novel casts caricatures of them as heroes; and as such they see the inherent quality in an exercise in proving just how much pop culture Ernest Cline can recite for the purpose of showing how much pop culture Ernest Cline can recite.

Quality.

25. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I can't say this with any certainty, but the DeLorean in the trailer doesn't seem to have an oscillation overthruster.

Ender Sai likes this.
  26. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012

[​IMG]