main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Rebel Choice (Pooja Naberrie, ANH, Dissolving the Senate) COMPLETE!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by AngelQueen, Aug 4, 2005.

1. AngelQueen

AngelQueen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2001
    Darth_Scroobius: Think of a demon and he shall saunter forth - Ha-ha. Star Wars version of "speak of the devil" eh?

:) Something like that, yes. ;)

I really enjoy Pooja's wry comments on her fellow senators and the political process. I think we all know what's going to happen when the full Senate meets. I can't wait to see how you present it.

Yes, I suppose Pooja has become somewhat jaded by her years in politics and sharpened her sense of the ridiculous. Glad you enjoyed it! :D

Obischick: Hmmmm... very interesting. I like seeing how everything comes together. I love how you are bringing the PT into the OT. It makes everything feel familiar and unique at once. I really enjoyed how you described how different the handmaidens where, and I loved the line describing how Niaé's eyes were unassuming and questioning all at once. Very nice.

Thanks! :) I tried to give Niaé, Amarié, and Meliaé each a separate presence, much as they are in my mind. It is slightly difficult, as they are not the main characters of the story. But I do my best to keep them involved, as they do still have their parts to play. :)

Can't wait to see why they're convening early, even though I have a good idea why.

[face_whistling] [face_whistling]

Can't wait to see what happens next!

*sings off-key* There's no other day like Thursday! :D

AQ

2. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    *bumps*

3. Obischick

Obischick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2001
    Still excited to see what happens next! :)

(excuse to go: upsie daisy! ;))

~Obischick~[face_peace]

4. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    Update will be coming tomorrow! :) Thanks for the up, Obischick! :D

AQ

5. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    Well, here's the next post! Enjoy! :)

Chapter One, Part II

The large, cavernous Senate chamber was filled with a loud, rumbling hum of conversation as the various Senators waited for the meeting to be called to order. Their numbers had dwindled greatly since the days of the Old Republic, but the Imperial Senate was still a sizable body.

Pooja took her seat in her Senate pod, moderately aware of Niaé, Meliaé, and Captain Peoly arraying themselves in different areas of the small, confined space. Staring out at the other Senate pods, she could see several seats were still empty; not everyone had arrived yet.

"Niaé," Pooja called quietly. She heard the other woman's dress rustle as she stood and moved to her side.

"Yes, milady?"

"Refresh my memory, what is being covered today," she inquired.

"The Army and the Navy are both petitioning for more funding, Malastare and Corulag are both asking for more labor workers, and Imperial Intelligence is to give an update on a recent attack by the Rebel Alliance," the handmaiden recited dutifully.

Pooja pursed her lips and sighed quietly. More money for the military. Given the growing unrest throughout so many sectors, that funding request would surely pass. More labor was being requested on two of the most productive worlds within the Empire. Greedy fools, she thought bitterly.

The Emperor's chair began to rise through the dome that covered his private office, interrupting Pooja's grim thoughts. She quickly noticed the Emperor's absence, but thought little of it. Palpatine rarely attended Senate meetings anymore, usually delegating to several of his minions.

She hissed quietly in irritation when she saw Major Pavish standing at the podium. The man was absolutely insufferable, not to mention a perfect example of the Empire's corruption. It had become an open secret within the government that the Major lived in a type of luxury that most of the upper classes would envy, a state that should be beyond the means of a mere officer in the Imperial Army. It was even rumored that he kept several slaves in deplorable conditions in his home, much to Pooja's private horror and disgust.

The conversations came to a halt as the Emperor's chair rose into place. Almost immediately, Major Pavish began to address them.

"Honorable representatives of the Galactic Empire," he said stoically, "It is to my great sorrow that I must interrupt this meeting as the bearer of tragic tidings. Merely a few hours ago, the Star Destroyer Devastator intercepted a distress signal coming from the remote region of space near the planet Tatooine. When the ship arrived, they discovered that the distress beacon was originating from the cruiser Tantive IV, the personal ship of the esteemed Senator Leia Organa. Lord Vader, who was onboard the Devastator, personally led a search-and-rescue team aboard the ship, only to find that everyone onboard the ship had been killed, including the Senator."

Horrified gasps and anguished cries echoed loudly through the chamber. Pooja only sat in stunned, frozen silence, unable to move or speak.

Leia was gone. Bail's only child was dead.

I should have argued with her, Pooja thought suddenly, barely aware that her hands were beginning to shake. I should have insisted she send someone else, contacted her father, anything.

"The Emperor wishes to send his heartfelt condolences to the Alderaani people and to the Organa family especially," she faintly heard Pavish say. "I also recommend that the Senate break for recess to recover from this most unfortunate news."

The recess and continuation of the session all passed by in a blur, hardly keeping her attention. Both the Imperial Army and Navy received the funds they wanted and the governments of Malastare and Corulag were granted more labor workers.

It wasn't until Pooja had left the Senate chambers that she remembered one final, vital detail.

"Niaé," she murmured quietly as the group moved down the crowded corridor.
    "Milady?"

"Shadows are either at the side, in the front, or behind," Pooja said idly, not even glancing in her handmaiden's direction. "Never on top."

Go, she said silently.

"Of course, milady." Niaé quickly and efficiently vanished into the growing throngs of people, blending in with ease. Pooja kept walking with her two remaining handmaidens and Head of Security, giving no outward reaction to her chief handmaiden's departure.

-----

The transport ride to her quarters from the Committee meeting was a silent one for Pooja. She could easily hear Meliaé and Captain Peoly arguing in low voices from the front, but she did not attempt to prevent their squabble from escalating. It did little good, as they always found something else to quarrel about.

It was an unusual thing for the Emperor to call for a full Senate meeting, as nearly everyone on the Committee was very well aware. Indeed, he had not done so in years, always allowing the Senate to prattle on about various matters, but taking little real action. It was something that had been going on since before the fall of the Old Republic, and it was also a cause of great consternation to democracy-driven worlds such as Naboo or Alderaan.

When they arrived at the Palace, Pooja strode out of her transport and into her chambers, grateful for the private and heavily guarded entrance on her own terrace. She found Niaé and Amarié already present in her sitting room.

"Handmaidens," Pooja said urgently, "I have just been informed of a full Senate meeting that has been scheduled at the command of the Emperor. Have either of you managed to uncover anything at all in your searches?" As she spoke, Pooja shrugged off her cloak and tossed it over the back of one of the chairs before seating herself in it. Niaé, Amarié, Meliaé, and Captain Peoly quickly followed suit. It was Niaé who spoke first.

"I have listened carefully to dozens of whispered and loud conversations alike among the various assistants and few of them have amounted to anything. Mostly rumors of the circumstances surrounding Senator Organa's death," Niaé explained, shaking her head. "If there is something going on, then either the aides and assistants have been ordered to remain absolutely silent or they have been kept completely in the dark."

Pooja clenched her jaw in frustration, but nodded. "Both possibilities are unusual, but still plausible," she admitted. She turned to Amarié, silently hoping, pleading for better results.

The decoy handmaiden shook her head ruefully. "I worked my way into every private and encrypted file I could find, milady. There were few political plans within them, mostly documents of a highly… personal nature," she finished, blushing slightly.

Meliaé snorted. "Let me guess: documents such as the deeds to their mistress' apartments?"

"Among other things, but yes," Amarié murmured quietly.

Pooja sighed. So nothing to support Leia's feelings had been found. That meant that either Leia had been wrong, or the plans had just not been discovered just yet. She wouldn't give up just yet.

"We'll wait until the Senate meeting," she announced, sounding more decisive than she felt. "If anything is going to happen, it will be then. Captain," she turned towards the dark-skinned man, "keep our people on alert."

The Captain nodded respectfully, but as Pooja rose to leave, she saw him and her three handmaidens exchange looks. She could guess very well what they were thinking. She was jumping at shadows at the words of a woman who had ended up dead within days of speaking them; she was being overly paranoid at nothing.

Pooja wondered if they might be right.

6. JediMasterRev

JediMasterRev Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2004
    This was a very interesting chapter. I had always wondered when I saw ANH what the reaction in the Senate was to Leia's supposed death. I'm guessing that this will have a tie-in with another major upcoming event in the Senate ;). I thought Pooja's reaction was balanced, given that a close confidant was just killed. It will be interesting to see what is in store for the Naboo Senator next. Great update. Want more soon ;).

7. Darth_Scroobius

Darth_Scroobius Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 1, 2005
    I like this. I get a very Roman-Senate-in-early-Imperial-times feel that I think is really appropriate. The Emperor uses the Senate to rubber-stamp his decisions, while leaving them just enough authority to keep them quiet. There are certainly alot of parallels between this period in a GFFA and the early Roman Imperial period.

I've always wondered if the Senate actually believed it when the Imperials claimed Leia was killed in a tragic accident. Either way, her resurrection would be terribly embarrassing.

I'm anxious to read Pooja's reaction to the Senate's disbandment. That move strikes me as somewhat heavy-handed. It's bound to stir up some dissent, much less disruptive to follow the Roman model and allow the Senate to fade into irrelevance. But what do I know? I'm not the Emperor of the known galaxy (yet).

8. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    JMR: This was a very interesting chapter.

[face_blush] Thanks. :)

I had always wondered when I saw ANH what the reaction in the Senate was to Leia's supposed death. I'm guessing that this will have a tie-in with another major upcoming event in the Senate.

Oh, I don't know, anything's possible... [face_whistling]

I thought Pooja's reaction was balanced, given that a close confidant was just killed. It will be interesting to see what is in store for the Naboo Senator next. Great update. Want more soon.

*grins* I think you'll learn that once I get into a story, I rarely give them a break. Pooja's in for a wild ride. *smirks*

More coming on Monday! :D

Darth_Scroobius: I like this. I get a very Roman-Senate-in-early-Imperial-times feel that I think is really appropriate. The Emperor uses the Senate to rubber-stamp his decisions, while leaving them just enough authority to keep them quiet. There are certainly alot of parallels between this period in a GFFA and the early Roman Imperial period.

The Roman Senate of the early Imperial era was actually a large part of my inspiration when I started writing the Senate scenes. *pauses to look lovingly at her history books* :D The Emperor is indeed playing with the Senators' collective heads, letting them think that they still do have a large part in the government, when in reality, he could care less about what they think. He has control and is just letting them play to keep them quiet. :D

I've always wondered if the Senate actually believed it when the Imperials claimed Leia was killed in a tragic accident. Either way, her resurrection would be terribly embarrassing.

Well, the way I'm playing it, the Senate - or more specifically, Pooja - is going to believe it. It's not as though anyone in the Senate would think to stand up and publicly accuse the Emperor and the Head of the Imperial Navy of lying, is it? ;) I mean, who would actually walk up to Darth Vader and call him a liar to his face? :D [face_whistling]

I'm anxious to read Pooja's reaction to the Senate's disbandment. That move strikes me as somewhat heavy-handed. It's bound to stir up some dissent, much less disruptive to follow the Roman model and allow the Senate to fade into irrelevance. But what do I know? I'm not the Emperor of the known galaxy (yet).

[face_laugh] Yes, not quite yet. You bring up many good points here, and many of them are explored to some degree within the story. I hope you enjoy what is to come! :D

Thanks for responding!

AQ

9. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    This was awesome, AQ -- it's nice to see the reaction of the Senate. I still can't get over the fact that this is quite the unique fic! :D

10. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    Idrelle_Miocovani: This was awesome, AQ -- it's nice to see the reaction of the Senate. I still can't get over the fact that this is quite the unique fic!

Unique? [face_blush] Now that's a compliment I do not hear very often. Thank you, Idrelle! @};-

AQ

11. Obischick

Aug 25, 2001
    Oooohhh... veeery interesting! I had forgotten that all the Senators are told that Leia is dead. I loved Pooja's reaction, and the little details about how the Emperor never attended Senate meetings anymore. Can't wait to see when the Senate gets disbanded! Should provide for some amusement.
    :p I like Pooja a lot, she's one classy lady!

~Obischick~[face_peace]

12. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    Obischick: Oooohhh... veeery interesting! I had forgotten that all the Senators are told that Leia is dead. I loved Pooja's reaction, and the little details about how the Emperor never attended Senate meetings anymore. Can't wait to see when the Senate gets disbanded! Should provide for some amusement.

*giggles* I'm glad you enjoyed the post! :) Amusement? [face_whistling] We shall see...

I like Pooja a lot, she's one classy lady!

[face_blush] Thanks you!

AQ

13. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
  14. Obischick

Aug 25, 2001
    Sooo... is it too early to ask for a new postie? ;)

~Obischick~[face_peace]

15. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    Obischick: Sooo... is it too early to ask for a new postie? ;)

*smiles* You shall have it around this time tomorrow, my friend. I'm trying to stick to my schedule due to the fact that this coming Friday, I will be going away for a mini-vacation and I won't be back until Sunday afternoon. Best to stick to the whole Monday & Thursday updating schedule. :)

AQ

16. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    Chapter Two, Part I

[I]"The Empire was not what Palpatine had promised it would be. He promised the people order, a free society, and the end of all that had corrupted and destroyed the lost ideals of the Old Republic. Instead, he had imposed the rule of a few over the many. He ruled over everything with his personally appointed Regional Governors reporting directly to him. He had rendered the Imperial Senate, the real voice of the people, immobile, while occasionally throwing them some sort of issue to debate in order to assure them of their importance. And the Senate did not object.[/I]

[I]"It was not until years later that the Senate realized its foolishness. And it was too late. Palpatine appeared to have won."[/I]

--From the writings of Pooja Lydonia, Senator of Naboo

Pooja gave herself one last look over within the mirror of the women?s powder room, just a small distance away from the Senate chamber. Her blue Senatorial gown draped over her small figure very well, making her appear authoritative and imposing. The large headdress, with its long, fragile blue and white beaded strings, also added to the stern visage she had sought to create.

The past two days had nearly been unbearable. Half of the Senate was in an uproar over the Emperor?s abrupt summoning and seemed to think that informing the Senator of his homeworld was the most expedient thing to do. As a result, she had been nearly besieged with calls, but Pooja had only taken a few, mostly from those whom she served with on the Emergency Relief Committee.

Perhaps the most agonizing call she had taken was the one from Bail Organa. It had only been due to her extensive training that she had not recoiled in horror at his pale, anguished expression?

-----

[I]"Bail," she said softly, struggling to keep her tears from blurring her eyesight, "I am so sorry. We all have felt her loss very deeply here." She trailed off, unable and unwilling to say more. To ramble on with ineffectual words would only be an insult to Bail's loss.[/I]

[I]"Thank you Pooja," he replied wearily. His dark eyes were suspiciously bright and the grey in his hair seemed far more pronounced than it normally was. He straightened and then asked briskly, "How are things there?"[/I]

[I]She sighed and shook her head. "The entire Senate is going to pieces over this sudden meeting. Everyone is calling everyone else, trying to get information before it actually happens." She paused, and then asked hesitantly, "How is Breha?"[/I]

[I]Bail did not answer at first. For a moment, he closed his eyes and bit his lip slightly. Finally, he answered, "I think this may kill her, Pooja. Leia was all we had." He stopped, sighing wearily. "I will not be able to arrive on Imperial Center in time for the Senate meeting, so I will be listening through the private holonet connection. Pooja," he said, perhaps even more seriously. "I will need to speak with you privately when I have arrived on-planet. It is very important."[/I]

[I]Startled at the intensity in his voice, she quickly acquiesced.[/I]

-----

Shaking her head inwardly, Pooja stepped back out into the chaos that was the Imperial Government, where Niaé and Meliaé were waiting patiently for her. The three walked in silence through the great corridor that circled around the massive chamber, not stopping until they reached their Senate pod.

As she settled herself carefully into her chair, Pooja noted with some amusement that she was one of the last Senators to arrive. No one wanted to be late when His Majesty called them in as though they were a flock and he their shepherd, she thought, rolling her eyes.

When she spotted the Emperor already sitting on his throne, his face mostly obscured within the confines of his black cloak, Pooja could not help but shiver. The man frightened her greatly. It was not his physical appearance and the many scars he had supposedly acquired from the Jedi's attempted assassination. It was his eyes, those two pale, sickly yellow orbs that always seemed to stare right through her, seeming to know her every secret.

It was not Emperor Palpatine who rose up to speak, as Pooja – and rest of the Senate, no doubt – expected. Instead, it was Scrye Pavish who stepped up to the podium after bowing in respect to the Emperor. He looked even more pompous than he normally did, as he wore what was obviously his best dress uniform.

"Esteemed Senators of the Galactic Empire, His Majesty Emperor Palpatine extends his thanks for your attendance on such regrettably short notice," the Major began. "You have all been called here today to hear an update on the investigation into the terrorist attacks against the Empire and the official response to these terrible atrocities."

A low murmur began to echo through the chamber and Pooja could very well imagine her colleagues thoughts. They had been summoned for this, something, while important, that could have very well waited until the next scheduled meeting, or even sent them a condensed report?

Pavish either did not notice the growing talk, or he ignored it. "The attack on the construction yards at Sleus Four by the Rebel Alliance was done quickly, destructively, and clearly with help from within this body of government."

The murmur very quickly rose into a roar of outrage and denial, even as Pavish continued to speak. Pooja could hear Niaé and Meliaé shifting closer to her from behind, both no doubt wary of the growing chaos. Meliaé probably already had one hand on the blaster she always had concealed within her cloak. Pooja, however, had other matters to distract her when Niaé spoke quietly in her ear.

"Milady, Senator Lassiter is at the entrance and requests your permission to join you."

"Let him in," she replied and within moments, Corr Lassiter had settled himself into the seat just behind her right shoulder.

"I'm sorry I was late," he muttered distractedly to her. "A matter arose and had to be dealt with. What's happening," he asked, "Why is Pavish speaking and not the Emperor? He called this gathering."

"Pavish has been giving an update on the Rebellion's attack at Sleus Four," Pooja replied. "He's just accused unnamed members of the Senate of aiding in the attack."
    Corr did not reply in words, only shifting in his seat and listening closely to the Major's speech. Due to the growing shouts of the Senators, it was becoming more and more difficult to hear the man's words.

Pooja glanced over her shoulder at her fellow Senator. His expression conveyed nothing except polite interest in what was going on around him, but she was not fooled. [I]Oh my friend[/I], she thought with growing concern, [I]what have you gotten yourself into?[/I]

"Enough."

The chaotic roar died down within seconds, everyone's gaze falling back to the podium. Major Pavish had stepped away, leaving room for someone else to come forth to speak.
    Palpatine.

"The Major speaks the truth. The investigators have searched thoroughly and have discovered a plethora of evidence to convict many of those present here today. To this end, the Empire must respond."

The entire chamber was deathly silent. Everyone stared at him, like rodents mesmerized by a deadly serpent.

In Pooja's eyes, the Emperor suddenly seemed much taller, no longer a fragile man stooped with age. His voice went directly into her ears, drowning out everything else, even the sound of Corr's breathing beside her.

"Due to this blatant act of treason," Palpatine continued, "We have no other choice but to transfer full authority to the Regional Governors, who have been investigated thoroughly and are found to be free of corruption. This Senate is hereby dissolved. Permanently."

A haze seemed to pass in front of Pooja's eyes at that point. [I]How has it come down to this?[/I] She thought helplessly, [I]This is a violation of…[/I] She stopped, beginning to run over every article, every amendment that she could recall of the Imperial Constitution, the foundation of the Empire's government. She found that she could not remember anything that prevented the Emperor from taking the step he had just taken.

Deep in thought as she was, Pooja could barely make out the whispered conversations going on from within her pod.

"Handmaiden… back to her apartments… in shock…"

"Of course… all right, Senator…"

"Bail warned me… target… Amidala's niece… Give her this later…"

"Milady, come, please…"

She could feel Meliaé's hands, uncharacteristically gentle, guiding her out of her seat and towards the exit. Corr had already vanished from the Senate pod.

"We must go back to my apartments," Pooja whispered, struggling to master herself. Naboo could not afford to have her fall apart now. "Captain Peoly, Amarié…"

"Yes, they will be there, milady," Niaé assured her as the three of them struggled through the thick, frantic crowd.

When they finally reached their transport, Pooja nearly slumped into seat with defeat, but strove to keep what little was left of her composure for the sake of her handmaidens and the three security officers present.

[I]This is madness[/I], she thought silently, [I]How will Palpatine prevent anarchy and keep control over the various star systems within the Empire? Even the Regional Governors cannot stem the tide for long.[/I]

Palpatine had to know this. Pooja knew – just as nearly any other Senator with good sense knew – that only a few of the Regional Governors had the welfare of their people at heart. Moff Panaka was famed throughout the government for his firm, but fair, governance, as was Moff Sygti. However, there were far more that Pooja would not entrust the care of a bird to, much less the people of an entire sector. Names like Tarkin or Gorbah came to mind. More to the point, the people tolerated the corrupt Governors only with bitter reluctance and the knowledge that the Senate was still in existence. To remove it now would only cause the ranks of the Rebellion to swell.

Palpatine had weathered the final decades of the Republic, when everything had become so terrible and fraudulent, and had come out of it as an Emperor. A person had to be extremely well-aware of the moods and mindsets of people in order to manipulate so many to such a great degree. He would not move so arrogantly and without popular support unless he was certain that no one would stand firmly in his way.

What could possibly give him such certainty?

When the transport came to a halt at her apartments, Pooja was the first one off, barely pausing to wait for Niaé and Meliaé to follow. There had to be something else. Not all of the pieces were on the board.

17. Darth_Scroobius

Darth_Scroobius Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 1, 2005
    The Empire was not what Palpatine had promised it would be. He promised the people order, a free society, and the end of all that had corrupted and destroyed the lost ideals of the Old Republic.

Hey, two out of three ain't bad. There was order. No free society, but you can't have everything. And he did end all that had corrupted and destroyed the lost ideals of the Old Republic; he just replaced them with himself and his ilk.

I'm kind of surprised that Palpy would bother with an Imperial Constitution. There was never any mention of a constitution for the Republic, so I have always assumed they had an informal unwritten constitution like the British. I suppose it makes sense to put it in writing when you're trying to remake the galaxy in your image. Palpatine seemed to be acting like the GFFA-equivalent of a Lycurgus, rebuilding society from the ground-up.

What could possibly give him such certainty? - We know. I can't wait to see her reaction to the Tarkin Doctrine.

18. Ani-maniac

Ani-maniac Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Oh, my, this is wonderful! [:D]

I am really enjoying it. You do such a wonderful job of developing Pooja's character. She is so much like her aunt, yet she is different as well. And the scene with her visiting Padme's grave was amazing!!! You wrote the workings of the senate wonderfully! [:D]

I really enjoyed seeing Bail's reaction to Leia's "death". Also, I am curious to find out what Bail wanted to speak with her about... I wonder if he is going to reveal that Leia was her cousin. [face_thinking]

I can't wait to find out what happens!!! Could you please PM me when you update? [face_batting] Please???!!! [face_praying] [face_praying] [face_praying]

Thanks!!! :D

Ani-maniac

19. JediMasterRev

JediMasterRev Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2004
    In the words of young Anakin, Yipee!

Anyhow, so Palpy has finally found the right excuse and way to dissolve the Senate permanently. He is most definitely a crafty devil. It was very interesting to see the behind the scenes of the reaction and fall out of Leia's death as news of it reached the Senate.

?I think this may kill her, Pooja. Leia was all we had.?

Hmm..a little dark foreshadowing? :)

This is madness, she thought silently, How will Palpatine prevent anarchy and keep control over the various star systems within the Empire? Even the Regional Governors cannot stem the tide for long.

I often have wondered what went through the disbanded Senator's minds when Palpy killed the Senate. This is an especially intriguing part because we get to look into their thoughts before the knowledge of the Death Star was made public. Strange that the Imperials were able to keep it a secret for almost 20 yrs without the Rebels yelling it from the mountain tops to everyone. Definitely an A for effort for Palps and company there.

Will be interesting to see what Pooja does in response to this distressing news. Doesn't bode well at the moment for anybody even remotely associated with the Naberrie clan.

What can I say but excellent. Great post and getting very intriguing. Looking forward to more soon :D

20. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    Darth_Scroobius: The Empire was not what Palpatine had promised it would be. He promised the people order, a free society, and the end of all that had corrupted and destroyed the lost ideals of the Old Republic.

Hey, two out of three ain't bad. There was order. No free society, but you can't have everything. And he did end all that had corrupted and destroyed the lost ideals of the Old Republic; he just replaced them with himself and his ilk.

That is true, I believe that Pooja was merely generalizing the rising dissatisfaction with the Emperor's dealings and everything.

I'm kind of surprised that Palpy would bother with an Imperial Constitution. There was never any mention of a constitution for the Republic, so I have always assumed they had an informal unwritten constitution like the British. I suppose it makes sense to put it in writing when you're trying to remake the galaxy in your image. Palpatine seemed to be acting like the GFFA-equivalent of a Lycurgus, rebuilding society from the ground-up.

I rather think he had everything written up just to satisfy the masses and to stick it to his opponents - i.e. Bail Organa, Mon Mothma, etc. The masses are satisfied that he's a great guy because he had it written up, and makes the radical opposers look like they're paranoid.

What could possibly give him such certainty? - We know. I can't wait to see her reaction to the Tarkin Doctrine.

:D

Ani-Maniac: Oh, my, this is wonderful!

Thank you! :D

I am really enjoying it. You do such a wonderful job of developing Pooja's character. She is so much like her aunt, yet she is different as well. And the scene with her visiting Padme's grave was amazing!!! You wrote the workings of the senate wonderfully!

That is something I'm really trying to focus on, the similarities and differences between Padmé and Pooja. They've both grown up in different times - Padmé during the times of the Republic, where there is, supposedly, no war and Pooja who has had to deal with the sleeziness of the Empire for most of her life. Very different times, yes. :)

I really enjoyed seeing Bail's reaction to Leia's "death". Also, I am curious to find out what Bail wanted to speak with her about... I wonder if he is going to reveal that Leia was her cousin.

*mysterious*

I can't wait to find out what happens!!! Could you please PM me when you update? Please???!!!

Of course, m'dear. I'd be happy to. I'm doing my best to keep up with the updates that I've scheduled - every Monday and Thursday - but if you'd still like a PMed reminder, I can do that as well.

Rev: In the words of young Anakin, Yipee!

*jumps and looks around wildly for scary little kids* Eep! :D

Anyhow, so Palpy has finally found the right excuse and way to dissolve the Senate permanently. He is most definitely a crafty devil. It was very interesting to see the behind the scenes of the reaction and fall out of Leia's death as news of it reached the Senate.

*bows* Thanks so much, Rev! :D I'm glad you're enjoying this!

?I think this may kill her, Pooja. Leia was all we had.?

Hmm..a little dark foreshadowing?

[face_whistling] [face_whistling]

This is madness, she thought silently, How will Palpatine prevent anarchy and keep control over the various star systems within the Empire? Even the Regional Governors cannot stem the tide for long.

I often have wondered what went through the disbanded Senator's minds when Palpy killed the Senate. This is an especially intriguing part because we get to look into their thoughts before the knowledge of the Death Star was made public. Strange that the Imperials were able to keep it a secret for almost 20 yrs without the Rebels yelling it from the mountain tops to everyone. Definitely an A for effort for Palps and company there.

Indeed. Or perhaps they had a big cover story for where all the money was going. And the Rebels have been branded as terrorists, so the Imps can just blow off t

21. Obischick

Aug 25, 2001
    Holy moly... :eek::eek:

Wow, that was GREAT. I loooooove that Pooja talks to Bail... awww... I wish we could see or know what he wanted to talk to Pooja about. ACK! I'm so excited I can't think of what to tell you!

Again, I love your writing style, very descriptive without bombarding the reader with details. And I love Pooja... I think she's what I hoped Padmé would have been. :p [face_shhh] SHhhhh... don't tell anyone that I said that ;) I really enjoyed how you had Palpy disband the Senate, very clever. And the reaction of Corr Lassiter to the news was very interesting as well... hmmm, is he the catalyst for her Rebel Choice? :D Hmmm... meditate on this, I will.

Eeck, I can't wait for Thursday, and not just because it's the day before Friday! :p

~Obischick~[face_peace]

22. TrinityDay

TrinityDay Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 6, 2000
    I'm still really loving this story. Actually, I find I'm liking your Pooja more and more each part I read.

I also liked the Bail part--I have a feeling I know what his talk with Pooja was going to be about, and--well, it's not going to happen now, is it? Unless the... whatever Corr Lassiter gave her has something to do with it.

As always, I'm really looking forward to the next part.

23. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    Obischick: Holy moly...

Wow, that was GREAT. I loooooove that Pooja talks to Bail... awww... I wish we could see or know what he wanted to talk to Pooja about. ACK! I'm so excited I can't think of what to tell you!

*laughs* Thanks so much, hon! :)

Again, I love your writing style, very descriptive without bombarding the reader with details. And I love Pooja... I think she's what I hoped Padmé would have been. SHhhhh... don't tell anyone that I said that I really enjoyed how you had Palpy disband the Senate, very clever. And the reaction of Corr Lassiter to the news was very interesting as well... hmmm, is he the catalyst for her Rebel Choice? Hmmm... meditate on this, I will.

*blushes* Oh my... Thank you for the wonderful compliments, Obischick! [face_blush]

Eeck, I can't wait for Thursday, and not just because it's the day before Friday!

*giggles* I know the feeling. I really do. :D

TrinityDay: I'm still really loving this story. Actually, I find I'm liking your Pooja more and more each part I read.

Thanks, TD! :D I'm glad you like my portrayal of Pooja! :)

I also liked the Bail part--I have a feeling I know what his talk with Pooja was going to be about, and--well, it's not going to happen now, is it? Unless the... whatever Corr Lassiter gave her has something to do with it.

*smiles mysteriously* Well, actually, Corr gave the object in question to one of the HMs. Pooja was too much in shock. And as for the talk with Bail... well... [face_whistling]

As always, I'm really looking forward to the next part.

Great! See you Thursday!

AQ

24. Obischick

Aug 25, 2001
    If Ebert were here, he'd give Pooja two thumbs UP. :) :D

~Obischick~[face_peace]

25. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    Obischick: If Ebert were here, he'd give Pooja two thumbs UP.

Forgive my cluelessness, but Ebert? [face_blush] [face_blush] [face_blush]

AQ