main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Rebel Choice (Pooja Naberrie, ANH, Dissolving the Senate) COMPLETE!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by AngelQueen, Aug 4, 2005.

1. AngelQueen

AngelQueen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2001
    Scroobius: *cough* certain-point-of-view *cough*

*laughs* You got that right! A certain Jedi Master really opened a can of worms when he uttered that statement, didn't he? ;)

I definitely had the Mission Impossible theme in my head while reading this. It seemed appropriate.

Evil cliffhanger. Though I think it's safe to say that Pooja lives.

Mission Impossible? *laughs* Yes, that does seem to fit. :D And evil cliffhangers are a wonderful thing for an author. [face_devil]

This is a great update. You do an excellent job of creating a tense mood in describing the sneaking around and action sequences.

Thank you! Action sequences have always been a hard thing for me to write, so to hear that you enjoyed that means a great deal to me. :)

One of the many foolish superstitions behind it was that Darth Vader used the darkness to creep about in order to kill those who opposed the Emperor too vehemently.

Would that really be a foolish superstition? That sounds like something Vader just might do!

A good point. But when you hear something that sounds like something straight out of a ghost story, a person often dismisses it. I suppose it could be true, though such a thing never happened to Pooja. I guess, from her point of view, it's something you have to see to believe. ;)

Ani-maniac: This was an incredible post! And such a wonderful cliff hanger! I am sure you know that I myself enjoy using them. I loved the similarities to what Padme went through when Naboo was attacked, and that Pooja has her aunt fighting spirit.

What author doesn't enjoy a good cliffhangers? [face_devil] And yes, Pooja does have a bit of Padmé's fighting spirit. :D Like any Naboovian, she doesn't like violence, but when it's necessary, she'll use it to achieve what she needs.

Amazing job! I can't wait for the next post!

Thank you! See you Monday! :D

AQ

2. Obischick

Obischick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2001
    Oh i don't have much time cuz i gotta go to work but how the heck can you leave us HERE?????? Ohhh! The humanity!!!

It was absolutley fabulous and I shall be thinking about what's going to happen next all day today, and tomorrow and... sunday too prolly! Darn you and your interesting and gripping plotling!!! :oops:

~Obischick~ [face_peace]

3. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    Obischick: Oh i don't have much time cuz i gotta go to work but how the heck can you leave us HERE?????? Ohhh! The humanity!!!

*cackles a la Palpy* [face_devil] [face_devil]

It was absolutley fabulous and I shall be thinking about what's going to happen next all day today, and tomorrow and... sunday too prolly! Darn you and your interesting and gripping plotling!!!

[face_blush] [face_blush]

Thank you! Interesting and gripping plotling? [:D] @};- I shall do my best to keep this story just as you described. :)

AQ

4. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    Chapter Three, Part II

What happened next occurred so quickly there was hardly any time for it to register before it was all over. The four that were present in the cockpit could only watch as the Star Destroyer fired yet another shot at them. Their shields were down, there was no time to maneuver.

However, just before the shot hit them, a desperate war cry was belted out over the still-open com channel and a small one-man ship, from seemingly out of nowhere, darted in front of them -

It exploded in a ball of flames.

Pooja stared out the cockpit window, wide-eyed, unable to blink at the brightness of the explosion. She could faintly hear Captain Peoly, the pilot, and the co-pilot speaking – or were they shouting? – and suddenly she could see the stars begin to streak by as they jumped to lightspeed.

That was Corr's private ship. Corr's dead.

She felt as though she was being choked. All the air seemed to have escaped from her lungs as she sank, boneless, into a nearby chair. Her world had gone mad. In the space of just a few days, she had seen nearly everything she knew, everything she had worked for, crumble to dust.

Peoly's face appeared in front of her, filled with concern. He said something and although she had no idea what, she nodded faintly. He then reached out and slowly pulled her back up. Pooja allowed herself to be guided out of the cockpit by her Head of Security and handed over to Niaé's care.

Pooja vaguely heard Peoly's tenor voice speaking and Niaé' horrified gasp, but she paid them little heed. She couldn't think straight. Her mind was going in circles and none of it made any sense.

Leia had been murdered. Palpatine had disbanded the Senate. She was running form those who would falsely accuse her of treason. Now Corr was dead.

How had things fallen so far?

Niaé eventually led her to her quarters where the chief handmaiden instructed Meliaé to give Pooja a mild sedative. Though a small, frantic instinct urged her to protest, Pooja did nothing to stop them and quickly fell into a drug-induced sleep.

Her slumber wasn't particularly restful. Her dreams were plagued by deep uncertainty and ominous shadows. Still, Pooja did manage to wake up with a much clearer frame of mind.

Amarié was the only one of the three handmaidens present. No longer dressed to impersonate, she now sore a simple black outfit and cloak. When she heard Pooja's waking movements, she looked up from the data-pad in her hand.

"Milady," she asked, standing up from her chair and moving closer, "Are you alright?"

"Not really," Pooja croaked, wincing at how terrible she actually sounded. This was the reason why she normally refused to take sedatives. They made her feel worse, rather than better. "But I'll be fine, eventually. What's been happening?" She slowly stared to crawl out of the bed.
    Amarié took her hand and began to assist her. Once Pooja was seated at the small mirror and dressing table, a brush in her hand as she struggled to remove the tangles, the woman began to explain.

"We stayed in hyperspace for nearly three hours. After we were certain we were not being followed, we dropped out to make repairs. Both ships were moderately damaged. The pilots have hidden us on the night side of a moon orbiting a gas giant. Meliaé and Niaé are assisting with the repairs."

Pooja nodded and continued to work through her hair. Finally running the brush through the brown curls one final time, she quickly twisted it into a simple bun. Turning around in the chair, she gave Amarié a small smile of approval when she saw what the handmaiden had pulled out of the closet that housed both hers and her three attendants' garments. The woman must have sensed that Pooja had no plans to leave her room because she pulled out a simple sea green day gown and its accompanying sheer over-robe.

Pooja stood up and took the clothes from Amarié's out-stretched hands. "I have to put together a report for the Queen and the Council, so I won't need anything else for some time. You're dismissed, Amarié."

The other woman nodded. "Yes, Milady. However, I'll bring you a tray of food. You must eat."

Seeing the firm, unyielding expression on Amarié's face, Pooja didn't bother to object. "And when you're done with that," she added more solemnly, "Could you assemble a casualty list?"

The other woman nodded, curtsied, then departed silently.

Pooja quickly slid off her nightgown and replaced it with the dress and over-robe. She then moved over to the small desk, the last piece of furniture in the room.

She stared at the terminal in front of her, suddenly feeling helpless. How did a person tell their ruler and friend that their world was now at the mercy of a dictator? How could she explain that they had been forced to flee with their lives after it had been discovered that Pooja would be framed for treason? How could she explain the lives it had cost to save her own?

Pooja took a deep, shaking breath, trying to keep herself from losing command of her emotions. Her teachers at the Royal Academy in Theed had instructed her quite thoroughly that control was paramount for a successful public figure. She had flouted those teachings completely just a few hours ago, she had no desire to do so again. It was not a pleasant feeling.

Straightening up in her chair, Pooja pulled up a blank document on her terminal. Attaching the small microphone that had been adapted for the machine, she slowly dictated the beginnings of a report.

"Your Majesty and esteemed councilors, only a few days ago on Imperial Center, a terrible tragedy occurred. Something that will strike at every being who holds democracy dearly in their hearts…"

Pooja focused solely on her report for the next two hours, detailing the events that had taken place over the past two days. She stopped only when Amarié returned with a tray of fruits and bread. She ate enough to satisfy her attendant, but then continued with her work once she was left alone. Once she finished with the report and stored it, Pooja opened up the ship's database.
    She quickly accessed the stored copies of the Imperial Constitution and the Codes of Law. She then moved to the area dealing with the powers and duties of the Emperor.

Article III, Section One.

Clause One: The executive Power shall be vested in the Emperor of the Galactic Empire. He shall hold this office for the term of his natural life…

Clause Five: The Emperor may, in times of peril, assume command of the assembled forces of the Empire over the Supreme Commanders of the various branches of the military…

Clause Seven: The Emperor…

The Articles, Sections, and Clauses all started to run together, but Pooja continued to read, taking in all the information. As her eyes drifted over the words, she could not help but feel as though she was a young student again, reading the texts for the very first time. It was almost chilling, what she now felt as she read them. Instead of an eager thirst for knowledge, a bitter chill enraptured her spirit, squeezing her heart as she continued to reflect upon each word.

It wasn't until Niaé, Amarié, and Meliaé entered her quarters, their expressions fraught with concern, that Pooja stopped reading. Amarié stepped over to her and handed her a small data-pad and she numbly scanned its contents.

The casualty list. Just as she requested.

After several tense moments, she looked back at her terminal, then up to the waiting handmaidens. She had read all she needed. Her face was pale and her lips were pressed together in suppressed fury. Then, without warning, Pooja stood and walked over to the door to the walk-in closet.

A plan was slowly forming in her mind. She could only hope it had a chance of working.

5. Darth_Scroobius

Darth_Scroobius Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 1, 2005
    I loved this chapter, lots of subtle goodness.

All the air seemed to have escaped from her lungs as she sank, boneless, into a nearby chair.

The "boneless" part is a nice touch. That evokes a definite image in my mind, but it would be very easy to miss it.

Her slumber, however, was not particularly restful. - Drug-induced sleep never is.

No longer dressed to impersonate - Very subtle pun on "dressed to impress."

Her teachers at the Royal Academy in Theed had instructed her quite thoroughly that control was paramount for a successful public figure. She had flouted those teachings completely just a few hours ago, she had no desire to do so again.

My earlier point exactly. She just needed some distance to recognize her mistake.

I liked the excerpts from the Imperial Constitution, very centralised-power-ish. But surely Pooja recognized the potential for abuse sooner than just then, right?

A plan was slowly forming in her mind. She could only hope it had a chance of working.

Probably not ;), but I can't wait to see what it is.

6. JediMasterRev

JediMasterRev Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2004
    Sorry I haven't been able to reply until now...Let's see...

That was Corr?s private ship. Corr?s dead.

That was pretty hard core. Definitely a 'take one for the team action ;).' [face_laugh] Seriously though, it is sad that he died, but emphasizes Pooja's importance perhaps to the Rebels.

The Articles, Sections, and Clauses all started to run together, but Pooja continued to read, taking in all the information. As her eyes drifted over the words, she could not help but feel as though she was a young student again, reading the texts for the very first time. It was almost chilling, what she now felt as she read them. Instead of an eager thirst for knowledge, a bitter chill enraptured her spirit, squeezing her heart as she continued to reflect upon each word.

Something Padme would do, but yet Pooja's actions have been well articulated to belong to only her. I like though that she works as tirelessly as her Aunt did.

Very exciting chapter. The situation seems to be getting worse by the moment. Hopefully there will be some sunlight for our brave Senator? Great as always, can't wait for more!!

7. aldocassidy

aldocassidy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 22, 2005
    Great update. It's great to see how you're comparing and contrasting the 3 female politicians of the Naberrie family (Pooja, Padme, and Leia).

I wonder if you're going to go into what Naboo thinks of their native son (Palpatine) right about now.

8. Ani-maniac

Ani-maniac Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Wonderful update! [:D]

It was brave of Corr to sacrifice himself like that. :D I wonder what Pooja has in mind... I am sure it is a daring plan, one which Padme would be proud of. :D

Incredible job as always! :)

Ani-maniac

9. Obischick

Aug 25, 2001
    NOOOOO!!!! :_| Drat you and your killing-ness! :( No fair! I liked him!

Although it was a very interesting real world touch. Part of me wonders if he is really dead. Part of me is like, "sigh, oookayyy..." and the other part of me is like, "hecks no he didn't die!" he's just hiding somewhere... ack. if only it was so. I really enjoyed the reality of the situation.

hmmm... hiding behind the moon of a gas giant, eh?? ;) sounds familar, but I can't quite place it... :p

I cannot wait to see what Pooja has up her large, Naboo sleeves!

~Obischick~ [face_peace]

10. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    Sorry for the long wait in replying, friends. I ended up taking a surprise trip to visit some of my family and I just got back a few hours ago. :)

Scroobius: I loved this chapter, lots of subtle goodness.

Thanks! :)

All the air seemed to have escaped from her lungs as she sank, boneless, into a nearby chair.

The "boneless" part is a nice touch. That evokes a definite image in my mind, but it would be very easy to miss it.

I liked that part too, as it often evokes a particular image in my mind as well. :D

Her slumber, however, was not particularly restful. - Drug-induced sleep never is.

No longer dressed to impersonate - Very subtle pun on "dressed to impress."

*laughs* [face_laugh] Indeed!

Her teachers at the Royal Academy in Theed had instructed her quite thoroughly that control was paramount for a successful public figure. She had flouted those teachings completely just a few hours ago, she had no desire to do so again.

My earlier point exactly. She just needed some distance to recognize her mistake.

I was so glad when that came out of my muse. It shows that mistakes can be recognized and Pooja can work to avoid making it again. :)

I liked the excerpts from the Imperial Constitution, very centralised-power-ish. But surely Pooja recognized the potential for abuse sooner than just then, right?

Well, I think just about everyone recognized the various abuses - Pavish's owning of slaves, and so on - but were in little position to do anything it due to Palpatine's allies in the Senate. But with the Senate - Palpatine's allies included - gone, Pooja is now able to see more freely and maybe even find a way to do something about it.

Probably not, but I can't wait to see what it is.

*grins* You could be right. When has there ever been a plan that has gone right in the SW universe? :D

Rev: Sorry I haven't been able to reply until now...Let's see...

Quite alright. :)

That was Corr?s private ship. Corr?s dead.

That was pretty hard core. Definitely a 'take one for the team action .' Seriously though, it is sad that he died, but emphasizes Pooja's importance perhaps to the Rebels.

Thank you. And you could be right. Pooja was the niece of one of the Alliance's founders. She is also a good friend of Bail Organa. And given what was in Corr's message, that just adds to her importance.

Something Padme would do, but yet Pooja's actions have been well articulated to belong to only her. I like though that she works as tirelessly as her Aunt did.

:) More on Pooja and Padmé to come. [face_whistling]

Very exciting chapter. The situation seems to be getting worse by the moment. Hopefully there will be some sunlight for our brave Senator? Great as always, can't wait for more!!

*laughs* Thanks, Rev. Indeed, everything just seems to be piling up, doesn't it? See you again on Thursday! :)

Aldocassidy: Great update. It's great to see how you're comparing and contrasting the 3 female politicians of the Naberrie family (Pooja, Padme, and Leia).

Thank you! :)

I wonder if you're going to go into what Naboo thinks of their native son (Palpatine) right about now.

*snorts* Well, it can't be anything flattering, can it? ;)

Ani-maniac: Wonderful update!

It was brave of Corr to sacrifice himself like that. I wonder what Pooja has in mind... I am sure it is a daring plan, one which

11. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    Chapter Three, Part III

Pooja rifled through the many garments, pausing occasionally to glance at an outfit, only to continue her seemingly mad search.

"Milady," Niaé spoke up cautiously, "what is it that you are looking for? Perhaps we can assist you?"

"We're about two hours from home," Amarié added, her eyes drifting over the many racks of clothing. "We should start planning what you should wear -"

"Burgundy," Pooja muttered, cutting the handmaiden off. "Where are all those burgundy bodysuits we packed?"

Meliaé moved over to one of the racks that she had yet to search through. "They're here, Milady. But what do you want them for?"

"To wear, of course," Pooja replied, reaching out and pulling one of the four outfits off the rack. Holding it up against her body, she looked down at the suit. She frowned. It was just a little too long, meaning that it belonged to either Meliaé or Niaé. Putting the suit back, she pulled out another and repeated the process. Satisfied, she turned around to face her three confused attendants.

"Grab yours and come with me," Pooja instructed as she swept past them. Just before she left the closet, she opened a drawer in a small chest and took a pair of black stockings.

Stepping back into her room, she shrugged off her sheer robe and with a little assistance from Niaé in unbuttoning her day gown, quickly pulled on the burgundy garment.

Just as she was sitting down on her bed to pull the stockings on, Pooja heard Amarié speak up.
    "Milady… Pooja, what do you exactly have in mind here?"

She stopped. For a moment, she did not lift her eyes to meet theirs. Sighing softly, she slowly replied, "I need to convince them of the seriousness of Naboo's situation."

"Then would it not be more prudent to wear something a little more elaborate?" She asked, her expression one of bewilderment.

Pooja shook her head. "Perhaps," she admitted, "but I feel that these outfits will strike a chord with many in the government." She looked at each of them in turn, a wane smile drifting over her lips. "Especially those who remember the recent history of our world."

She then continued to don the stockings, knowing she would not have to wait long for them to understand her message. They were all very intelligent women. They would see it.

Meliaé was the first. She let out a stream of obscenities, words she had no doubt learned as a child and had not been broken from during her training. Pooja smothered a laugh.

Niaé and Amarié both began to comprehend a few seconds later and stared at her in shocked amazement, perhaps even a little horror.

"You think there will be an invasion," Niaé observed incredulously. "Do you believe that it will come down to war?"

Finished with the black stockings, Pooja looked up at handmaiden. "I think it is a distinct possibility," she answered honestly, but with growing heat. "The Emperor has been gathering more and more political power ever since the early days of the Clone Wars. Now he's expelled an entire branch of government, planned to declare me and our delegation traitors, and murdered the Great Mother only knows how many Senators as they fled for their lives. In my opinion, war has already been declared."

She closed her eyes briefly, taking a deep breath to calm her turbulent emotions. Slowly, she opened them again and continued in a much calmer manner. "Still, even if the Queen and the Council do not share such an extreme view, they must see that dark times are falling on Naboo, the likes of which have not been seen since Senator Amidala's death nearly nineteen years ago."

Pooja stood up from the bed and motioned for them to come closer. "My friends," she said gently, "We must show our people that Palpatine has betrayed our most sacred beliefs. We must show them that it was not the Senate who betrayed the people of the Empire, but the Emperor and his supporters."

She looked all of three of them steadily in the eye. "Will you help me? It's your choice."

They all knew what they had seen. Pooja knew she did not have to convince them of the terrible deeds of all that had happened on Imperial Center. She only had to let them decide for themselves.

They did not let her down.

The ships docked in the Palace hangar nearly two hours later. Pooja led the way down the ramp, Niaé, Amarié, Meliaé, and Captain Peoly all gathered closely around her. Some of the other security guards followed as well, but many stayed behind with the ships.

At the doors of the hangar bay stood a lone figure clad in a royal blue cloak. Pooja moved quickly towards her, secretly glad she had decided on the simple burgundy bodysuit and was not slowed down by heavy brocade robes and a cumbersome headdress.

"Senator Lydonia," the robed figure – obviously one of Queen Kylantha's handmaidens – greeted in a soft, quiet tone, "Her Majesty bids you welcome and asks that you join her in the throne room if you are not too tired from your journey."

Pooja nodded. "Of course, Handmaiden. Please, lead the way." Besides, she added silently, I have no desire to sleep at all any time in the near future. As they entered the Palace, she could hear Captain Peoly quietly telling the remaining guards that they were dismissed until he recalled them.

As she followed the handmaiden, she had to admit that things were going well, so far. At least there hadn't been a few dozen security guards waiting in the hangar to arrest her the moment she stepped off her ship.

Of course, those guards could just be waiting in the throne room as opposed to coming directly to the hangar. Perhaps they want it done officially in the presence of the Queen, as a warning to others about what happens when a political figure turns traitor, she thought wryly. Nonetheless, she kept going.

They took the lift up the multiple floors of the Palace, coming to a stop just outside the throne room. The faceless handmaiden once again took the lead and swept ahead into the spacious room. She curtsied slightly to the Queen, then took a seat in a high-backed chair just outside the Council area.

Pooja's gaze fell on the Queen first. She had known Madlyn Kylantha since before the younger woman's elevation to the throne after Queen Apailana's assassination. Pooja had been two years behind her at the Royal Academy and had been mentored by the other woman. They had corresponded in the following years and Pooja had, as then–Princess of Theed, supported Kylantha's bid for the throne. It had only been a year later, after her term as Princess had ended, when Madlyn had asked her to serve as Naboo's Senator on Imperial Center.

Gradually, her eyes drifted over the members of the Advisory Council. Arani Korden, the Minister of Education, was present, as were, Cordin Talsha, the Minister of Music, Captain Sintar, the Queen's Chief of Security, and many other members of the Council.

It was the final person present in the throne room that made her pause, though. In the chair close to the Queen's left sat Hugh Panaka, the Moff of the entire Chommell Sector.

Panaka was a famous man in his own right amongst the Naboo people. Everyone knew of his heroic efforts to free the planet from the Trade Federation's unlawful occupation during his time as Queen Amidala's Chief of Security. He had also served with distinction during the Clone Wars.

He was also a great supporter of Palpatine, and had been so since the Empire's earliest days.
    Inhaling deeply, Pooja sought to calm her sudden sense of nervousness and unease. She bowed respectfully to the Queen and then strode over on unsteady legs to the only remaining empty chair in the Council area.

It was the Queen who broke the silence once she was seated with her handmaidens and Captain Peoly arrayed protectively behind her.

"Senator Lydonia," she said in crisp, professional tones, "we thank you for attending us so quickly after your arrival. Communications with Imperial Center have been garbled and confusing for the past several days. We would appreciate an explanation for the reasons of this lapse."

Pooja nodded. "Of course, Your Highness. I expected that this would be the case and took the liberty of assembling a report for your and the Council's consideration." She reached down to a small compartment in her belt and pulled out a tiny datachip. She handed it to Meliaé, who stood closest to the Queen.

The handmaiden glided forward, her unveiled face inscrutable. As she slid the datachip into place and adjusted some of the controls, Pooja allowed her eyes to be drawn back over to Panaka.

He was sitting stiffly in his chair, his former military training very much apparent in his bearing. His dull, grey uniform was impeccable, even though it stood out horribly from the bright and beautiful costumes of the Queen and the Council. It was his eyes that captured her attention. He was staring at her intently, scrutinizing her clothing and appearance. When their eyes met, his own gaze was quite wary. He looked at her as though she was a volatile reactor that could erupt at any moment.

When Pooja's recorded report began to filter through the throne room, however, the moment – such as it was – was broken and they both turned away to focus on their present reality.

12. JediMasterRev

Dec 2, 2004
    Nice update.

I thought Pooja's choice of clothing set the tone of what has just happened. Thought this was a good strategy.

And Hugh Panaka has shown up. Very curious to see what role he will play in the up coming chapters. If he is as loyal to Palpatine as he was with Amidala, Pooja might be in for some very difficult times.

For the moment, it seems that Pooja is the only one reacting properly to the gravity of the situation. Hopefully others will come around to see the reality soon or else Naboo might indeed be in grave danger.

Great as always! Can't wait for more :).

13. Darth_Scroobius

Jun 1, 2005
    ?Burgundy,? Pooja muttered, cutting the handmaiden off. ?Where are all those burgundy bodysuits we packed??

Burgundy bodysuits. I like the alliteration; it rolls of the tongue (even if you're only saying it out-loud in your head). The symbolism is a very nice touch.

But at that brief moment, Pooja saw Hugh Panaka gaze back at her, taking in her burgundy bodysuit and tightly pulled back hair. He then looked back up at her, his own dark eyes filled with a great sense of wariness. As though she were a volatile reactor that could erupt at any time.

The sight must take him back. His assessment as to her volatility is certainly colored by her family history, and he's probably right about her, too.

Great work. I can't wait 'til Monday (but I'll have to anyway;)).

14. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    Rev: Nice update.

I thought Pooja's choice of clothing set the tone of what has just happened. Thought this was a good strategy.

*grins* Thanks, Rev. :D I thought that would be a nice touch.

And Hugh Panaka has shown up. Very curious to see what role he will play in the up coming chapters. If he is as loyal to Palpatine as he was with Amidala, Pooja might be in for some very difficult times.

*whistles*

For the moment, it seems that Pooja is the only one reacting properly to the gravity of the situation. Hopefully others will come around to see the reality soon or else Naboo might indeed be in grave danger.

Well, the Queen and the Council are concerned, but they still have to get the whole story from Pooja. Peoly and the handmaidens are more worried for Pooja's safety. That's their mission, not to worry about the fate of the government. ;)

Great as always! Can't wait for more.

Thank you! See you Monday! :D

Edit:

Scroobius:
    Sorry, my friend. I hadn't seen your reply! *blushes*

?Burgundy,? Pooja muttered, cutting the handmaiden off. ?Where are all those burgundy bodysuits we packed??

Burgundy bodysuits. I like the alliteration; it rolls of the tongue (even if you're only saying it out-loud in your head). The symbolism is a very nice touch.

*grins* Thank you! I liked doing the burgundy clothes part. :)

But at that brief moment, Pooja saw Hugh Panaka gaze back at her, taking in her burgundy bodysuit and tightly pulled back hair. He then looked back up at her, his own dark eyes filled with a great sense of wariness. As though she were a volatile reactor that could erupt at any time.

The sight must take him back. His assessment as to her volatility is certainly colored by her family history, and he's probably right about her, too.

*laughs* A very good speculation. [face_whistling] :)

Great work. I can't wait 'til Monday (but I'll have to anyway).

Thank you! I'll see you Monday! :D

AQ

15. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    *bumps*

16. Obischick

Aug 25, 2001
    Ooohh!!! Wonderful! :D I loooooove the symbolism that is presented here... nicely done without it being overly obvious. You never actually say what they are wearing, but only an idiot wouldn't know what outfit you are refering too.

I can't wait to see what her report consists of... verrrry interesting. I like how Pooja and Panaka have that moment between them. It will be interesting to see how deep his loyalties to Palpatine go and how deep his loyalties to Padmé were/are.

Loverly job dear!! I can't wait for an update... :D But of course I will have too! :p Perhaps I would be able to persuade you to update on my birthday tomorrow? ;) I turn 21... so wish me luck with my (coming) hangover! :p

~Obischick~ [face_peace]

17. Ani-maniac

Ani-maniac Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Wonderful job! :)

I am so curious to see how the others react to Pooj's report. :D

For some reason I picture the queen saying, "I will not condone a course of action that will lead us to war." ;)

Absolutely amazing update, I can't wait for the next part! [:D]

Ani-maniac

18. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    Obischick: Ooohh!!! Wonderful! I loooooove the symbolism that is presented here... nicely done without it being overly obvious. You never actually say what they are wearing, but only an idiot wouldn't know what outfit you are refering too.

*laughs* Thank you! I'm glad to see that all of you are keeping up with your knowledge of costumes. ;) :) :D

I can't wait to see what her report consists of... verrrry interesting. I like how Pooja and Panaka have that moment between them. It will be interesting to see how deep his loyalties to Palpatine go and how deep his loyalties to Padmé were/are.

*whistles* [face_whistling]

Loverly job dear!! I can't wait for an update... But of course I will have too! Perhaps I would be able to persuade you to update on my birthday tomorrow? I turn 21... so wish me luck with my (coming) hangover!

Happy Birthday! *hands over a specially-made Obi Clone* :D [face_dancing] [:D] [face_batting]

Ani-Maniac: Wonderful job!

*blushes* Thanks! :)

I am so curious to see how the others react to Pooj's report.

For some reason I picture the queen saying, "I will not condone a course of action that will lead us to war."

*grins* A very good guess! :D We will see. [/Amidala]

Absolutely amazing update, I can't wait for the next part!

Will see you Monday then! :)

AQ

19. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    Chapter Four, Part I

It is the bonds of family that are the most binding, but it is those bonds that cause the most pain when they are broken.

--Old Naboo proverb

"The Naboo have always treasured peace. Ever since the legendary King Jafan established the Great Time of Peace, the Naboo have done their utmost to respect his work. But we also know that there are times when we must take up arms and fight. The Trade Federation Crisis, as well as the Clone Wars. We do not relish in the violence, but we will protect with our lives that which we treasure the most: democracy and the free will of the people."

--Terris Apailana, Preface of Principles of Peace and War: Naboo in the Last Generation

-----

Pooja loved Theed. It was perhaps one of her favorite places on Naboo, second only to the Lake District. The roar of the waterfalls filled her with contentment, along with the many parks and gardens that dotted the city's landscape. Only the faintly remembered sorrow of Aunt Padmé's funeral shadowed her joy.

Most of all, though, it was her family's presence that buoyed her spirits. Looking up at the home she had visited so many times as a small child, Pooja rather thought that her feelings about the house mirrored her opinion of Theed itself. She could recall so many happy memories in this place, Life Day celebrations, holidays, and all the like. With the good, though, the bad joined with it hand-in-hand. Aunt Padmé's wake, as well as the more recent tributes to Grandfather Ruwee and Grandmother Jobal stuck out in her mind, even now after so many years.

After Queen Kylantha and the Council had heard her report, they had decided to take a recess to allow the information to sink in before choosing a course of action. Once she had been free to do so, Pooja had dismissed her people and ordered them to visit their families, to assure them of their safe return home. She would call upon the relatives of those who had not made it by herself.

That had been a task that had nearly torn her apart.

Now she was at her own home, the house that had been home to four generations of Naberries.

Stepping up to the door, Pooja entered her keycard into the security scanner. Almost instantly, it beeped in approval as the door slid open.

The front hall was still fully lit against the growing darkness outside and she could see several cloaks hung up on the coat rack to the left of the door. Quietly, Pooja took off her own cloak and added it to the rest. Soft laughter came from the direction of the dining room. Making her way down the hallway, Pooja came to a halt outside of it to stare at the group within.

Sola Naberrie – Mama, she thought with a sudden wistfulness – sat at the head of the long table, her grey-lined hair pulled back in an elegant twist, shining in the golden light. Off to her right sat Ryoo, smiling happily. One of her hands sat atop the table, clasped in her husband's, who sat next to her, while the other rested on her abdomen, which was, much to Pooja's great surprise, gently rounded by the presence of a child. Mydrin, a tall man in his early thirties with red hair and green eyes, sat next to her sister, his expression just as elated as Ryoo's.

To her mother's left sat Mydrin's parents, Dale and Vala, if Pooja remembered correctly. Vala's face was turned towards her mother, indicating an on-going conversation while Dale sipped on a glass of wine.

The scene before her was the very picture of normalcy. Pooja could remember when she had first met Mydrin and his parents. Ryoo had met him during her time at the University, both focused their studies in Philosophy and had found they had much in common. She could remember that first dinner, watching them bandy back and forth, quoting obscure texts that no one else present, all well-read people, had heard of before.

After finishing at the University, they had continued to see one another, planning a small, efficient wedding. Standing up beside her sister as she and her betrothed took their vows, Pooja could remember thinking that there was no other couple so suited to one another. They'd both prepared their own vows, full of metaphors and riddles that alluded to their devotion to each other.

She thought them both incredibly odd, but their love was firm and true. As she watched Mydrin squeeze Ryoo's hand and give her an adoring glance, Pooja knew their love had not faded in the time she had been away.

It was a peaceful family celebration. As Pooja watched them, she began to feel like an unwelcome intruder.

That is, until her mother looked up and their eyes locked with one another.

"Pooja," Sola whispered, her brown eyes growing wide. Immediately, all of the room's occupants went silent. Pooja smiled slightly at them.

"Hello," she said softly. "I hope I am not interrupting your supper."

Ryoo jumped out of her chair and hurried over to her, throwing her arms around Pooja enthusiastically. "Dear little sister," she cried joyfully. "You're home!"

Pooja blinked in surprise at such an outward display of affection from her sister, but warmly returned her embrace. Feeling the swell of Ryoo's stomach, she pulled back and looked down. "Look at you," she said in wonder, resting her hand lightly on her sister's abdomen. It must be the hormones, Pooja decided quickly. She could not remember another time when her sister had ever been so affectionate with her. By the time she had reached the age of ten, Ryoo had become a solemn young girl who spoke in a very quiet and reserved manner, often expressing herself in riddles of some sort. She often made Pooja feel loud and obnoxious in their younger days. Now Ryoo was acting, well, normal, she had to say for lack of a better term.

"It was a surprise to us all."

She looked up to see that Mydrin, along with his parents, had vacated their chairs to come and greet her. Laughing and feeling more comfortable than she'd felt in a long time, Pooja replied, "I'm sure it did."

After receiving a gentle hug from her brother-in-law and a kiss on each cheek from Dale and Vala, Pooja allowed her gaze to drift beyond them. There, holding tightly onto Mydrin's empty chair, was her mother, who was staring at her almost desperately.

Barely noticing that the others had cleared her a path, Pooja stepped forward quickly and wrapped her arms around the older woman, burying her face briefly in her shoulder.

"Mama," she breathed, tears beginning to fill her eyes. "Mama, I'm home."

Pooja felt her mother's familiar arms tremble slightly as they held her close. "My dear girl," Sola whispered, her voice thick with emotion, "Thank the Great Mother. You are safe."

Once they pulled away and dried one another's tears, the entire family sat back down at the table. Pooja took the only remaining seat, at the end of the table opposite from her mother.

"When did you get on planet?" Ryoo inquired as she filled an extra plate that had somehow appeared at the table. Handing the plate over to Mydrin, she continued, "With the communication's blackout with Imperial Center, we've been so worried."

Pooja took the plate from her brother-in-law, thanking him quietly. She then replied, "Just a few hours ago. I had to meet with Her Majesty and the Council the moment we landed. After a recess was called, I told my people to go home and visit their loved ones so then I came here."

She watched her sister nod in understanding, along with her husband and his parents. Yet again, Pooja's eyes were drawn back to her mother, who was staring back at her with an intense, yet guarded, expression on her face.

"And just why," Sola asked calmly but firmly, "has there been communications disruption at the capital?"

Pooja winced. She really did not want to explain everything that had happened to her in the last few days. She did not want to see the fear in her mother's eyes if she told her that the Emperor had sought to target Pooja specifically.

Carefully, after taking a moment to scramble for a slightly plausible excuse, she said, "I shouldn't say anything just yet, Mama. The Queen will undoubtedly address the people and I don't want to cause a premature panic."

Sola's lips tightened and Pooja could see that she wanted to argue the point. Quietly, she added, "Please, Mama, I just want to forget for a little while. Please."

A tense silence hung over all of them for several seconds. Finally, Sola nodded in acceptance. Giving her a small, relieved smile, Pooja turned to Ryoo and changed the subject of conversation to something more comfortable for everyone present.

"Tell me about the baby," she said, genuine excitement filling her tone. "When did you find out?"

"A few months ago," Ryoo answered, her brown eyes lighting up as one of her hands dropped down to rest on her growing stomach. "I'm due at the end of the year."

A proud grin spread over Mydrin's freckled features. "The healers also told us a little something else. We need to get double of what most parents buy."

Pooja nearly choked on her food. "Twins," she gasped, her expression astounded.

The couple laughed exuberantly. "A boy and a girl," Ryoo supplied.

She shook her head, delighted beyond words. She was going to be an aunt. Twice, to be accurate. A niece and a nephew.

"Have you thought of names," Pooja asked curiously.

Her older sister nodded. "Our son will have the name Joahin, after Vala's father," she said, flashing her mother-in-law a smile, who returned it with a kind one of her own.

Pooja grinned in approval. "And the girl?"

Silence fell for just a second before Mydrin answered her query. "We had thought to name her Jobal, after your grandmother."

She stared at him. Or rather, she thought silently in growing sadness, after the woman she was before the death of her daughter and grandchild drove her to madness.

"That sounds wonderful," she said aloud.

The conversation continued beyond dinner until an escort arrived with the Queen's instructions to return her to the Palace. She hugged her mother tightly and promised to return as soon as she could. Congratulating her sister and brother-in-law one more time, Pooja bade Dale and Vala farewell before taking off into the Naboo night.

She did look back once, just before the house faded from sight. Ryoo, Mydrin, Dale, and Vala had all, apparently, returned indoors. But her mother still stood in the doorway, staring after her, her face as pale as the moons.

Pooja couldn't help but shiver.

20. Darth_Scroobius

Jun 1, 2005
    Big shift in gears here. I was hoping to see the Queen's response, and I suppose I did, from a certain point-of-view. Her response (or rather the lack thereof) is disturbing. It is imperative in a crisis situation to show some leadership and make some decisions. Even an okay solution now is better than the perfect solution too late. This bodes ill for Naboo's ability to navigate through their plight.

Thank the Great Mother.

The matriarchal deity is mildly irritating. But then again, I am a perpetuator of patriarachal paradigms of oppression. :p8-}[face_sick]

I should not say anything just yet, Mama. The Queen will undoubtedly address the people and I don?t want to cause a premature panic.

Premature panic? Apparently Pooja believes that panic is justified. Tough to argue with that. (I am also a fan of p-alliteration, just see above)

Pooja couldn?t help but shiver.

Another nice update, ending with a (presumably justified) sense of foreboding.

21. JediMasterRev

Dec 2, 2004
    She thought them both incredibly odd, but their love was firm and true.

[face_laugh] Nice description. Know a few people who are like that.

Now, Ryoo was acting, well, normal, she had to say for lack of a better term.

Too funny. This line had me cracking up. I am really glad that you went back and added to this scene. I think it really made it much more well-rounded.

Pooja grinned in approval. ?And the girl??

Silence fell for just a second before Mydrin answered her query. ?We had thought to name her Jobal, after your grandmother.?

She stared at him. Or rather, she thought silently in growing sadness, after the woman she was before the death of her daughter and grandchild drove her to madness.

Even a glimmer of sunlight is obstructed by the darkness of the past for the Naberries. Thought that was a nice touch for them to name the children after their respective grandparents.

This is my favorite chapter, so far. I liked the family interaction and how you described the relationships, as well as quirky personalities. I too sense the aura of deep foreboding as events are quickly unfolding elsewhere in the galaxy. Great as always. Looking forward to more!

22. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    Scroobius: Big shift in gears here. I was hoping to see the Queen's response, and I suppose I did, from a certain point-of-view. Her response (or rather the lack thereof) is disturbing. It is imperative in a crisis situation to show some leadership and make some decisions. Even an okay solution now is better than the perfect solution too late. This bodes ill for Naboo's ability to navigate through their plight.

This is true. The Queen has been hesitant on making decisions on the information that she is being given. I rather think it's because the rulers of the respective planets in the Empire have spent the past two decades trying to keep their heads down to avoid a visit from Lord Vader. It's been going on so long that it's become a habit, although a bad one.

Thank the Great Mother.

The matriarchal deity is mildly irritating. But then again, I am a perpetuator of patriarachal paradigms of oppression.

Well, I think that Naboo might have a matriarchal deity along with a patriarchal one. Which one they choose to invoke is their choice. :)

I should not say anything just yet, Mama. The Queen will undoubtedly address the people and I don?t want to cause a premature panic.

Premature panic? Apparently Pooja believes that panic is justified. Tough to argue with that. (I am also a fan of p-alliteration, just see above)

*laughs* Very true! And given what is still to come... ;)

Pooja couldn?t help but shiver.

Another nice update, ending with a (presumably justified) sense of foreboding.

Thank you! :D

Rev: She thought them both incredibly odd, but their love was firm and true.

Nice description. Know a few people who are like that.

:D

Now, Ryoo was acting, well, normal, she had to say for lack of a better term.

Too funny. This line had me cracking up. I am really glad that you went back and added to this scene. I think it really made it much more well-rounded.

Yeah, adding to that scene was particularly fun. I tried to bring about a sisterly PoV and how some siblings just can't comprehend one another.

Pooja grinned in approval. ?And the girl??

Silence fell for just a second before Mydrin answered her query. ?We had thought to name her Jobal, after your grandmother.?

Even a glimmer of sunlight is obstructed by the darkness of the past for the Naberries. Thought that was a nice touch for them to name the children after their respective grandparents.

Yes, the past is very much a part of their daily lives. It will be a long time, I think, before they will be able to let it go. If ever.

This is my favorite chapter, so far. I liked the family interaction and how you described the relationships, as well as quirky personalities. I too sense the aura of deep foreboding as events are quickly unfolding elsewhere in the galaxy. Great as always. Looking forward to more!

Thanks so much, Rev. And yes, things are starting to happen and happen fast. And there is still more to come. ;)

AQ

23. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
  24. Obischick

Aug 25, 2001
    Oooohh... that was a very sudden shift for me as well. Almost too sudden, as I was expecting a big political hoopla surrounding Pooja's still-mysterious report. It drives me crazy that we don't get understanding until Thursday, and that's at the very least! :p It could be a week from now for all I know!!

That said, however, I did like the little moment between the family and Pooja. Awww... twins just like Auntie Padmé! :) Very cute. I dunno about naming the girl Jobal... perhaps that's just because I always though of Jobal as very prissy and protective. :p Not two qualities I generally look for. Anyways. Still good news... or is it? Depending on the family's reaction to the disbandment of the Senate, it could be looked upon as a blessing or a curse of the Naberries having babies at inconvienent times! :oops:

Wonderful as always!

~Obischick~ [face_peace]

25. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    Obischick: Oooohh... that was a very sudden shift for me as well. Almost too sudden, as I was expecting a big political hoopla surrounding Pooja's still-mysterious report. It drives me crazy that we don't get understanding until Thursday, and that's at the very least! It could be a week from now for all I know!!

*nods* That is a very good point, my friend. As Scroobius mentioned, it implicates that the Naboo government is being rather hesitant in it's reaction Palpatine's actions on Imperial Center. Which is one reason for the sudden shift.

That said, however, I did like the little moment between the family and Pooja. Awww... twins just like Auntie Padmé! Very cute. I dunno about naming the girl Jobal... perhaps that's just because I always though of Jobal as very prissy and protective. Not two qualities I generally look for. Anyways. Still good news... or is it? Depending on the family's reaction to the disbandment of the Senate, it could be looked upon as a blessing or a curse of the Naberries having babies at inconvienent times!

Really? I always saw Jobal, and by extension Ruwee, as the everyday parents in the SW universe. It's obvious that they raised Sola and Padmé themselves for the most part. Take a look at all the other parents we've seen:

26. Padmé and Anakin: One ends up dead in childbirth the other off doing macho-bad things to the galaxy. They certainly didn't raise their kids.

27. Bail and Breha: Both big-time politicians on Alderaan and within the Republic/Empire. It is possible that Breha died when Leia was very young, leaving Bail to raise her to be a big-time politician as well.

28. Han and Leia: They were both so busy saving the galaxy from itself every two minutes that they left the raising of their three children mostly to Winter and nanny droids. Something Jaina came to greatly resent, as we saw.

29. Given these examples, I was really glad to see Jobal and Ruwee, as they both seemed, well, normal, to me. *shrug*

Wonderful as always!

[face_blush] Thank you! :)

AQ