main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rebel Hearts Trilogy: Book 1: **Interlude** (Jaina/Jag) Complete!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Mira_Terrik, Apr 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mira_Terrik

Mira_Terrik Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2002
    Hiyas all! :D Well, here is my first fanfic and I hope you enjoy the journey ahead! Sorry if it may seem long; I have a tendency to do that with my scenes. A special thanks go out to Celina_Marniss864 for being my proof-reader. Thanks a bunch, Celina! I welcome all feedback, so don't be shy!

This takes place during REBEL DREAM, within the seven days before we see their characters again in the RD timeframe. Some minor spoilers.

~Disclaimer: All things Star Wars belong to Lucasarts, LucasFilms, George Lucas, etc. This story is simply for fun, no money is being made off this story!

Now that's out of the way... ENJOY! ;)

INTERLUDE

**Chapter One**

Colonel Jagged Fel was not accustomed to uncertainty. He stood outside the office of his uncle, Wedge Antilles, his fist hovering in mid-knock. The New Republic had reclaimed Borleias a little more than a standard month ago, and Jag himself had arrived only hours ago with two rag-tag squadrons that had accompanied him from Hapes. He intended to aide the New Republic in any way he could, however it was that intention that plagued him now in the late evening hours.

He was about to ask a favour of a man he barely knew. During his tenure as a liaison between the New Republic and the Imperial Remnant, he spent most of his time away from both sides, and the time he wished he?d had to get to know his uncle was never available to him. He had a feeling that Wedge would give in to his favour; he had heard that his uncle was a fair man, a man who possessed more military savvy than many political figures cared to admit. Yet, something nagged at him to forego this idea of his. Something gnawed at his courage, preventing his fist from making impact with the door. Jag frowned as his hand fell back to his side.

He knew exactly why he hesitated and it had nothing to do with Wedge. If my father knew that I was here, knew what I was about to do, he?d kill me. Jag sighed. The last conversation he had with his father instantly came to his mind, and General Baron Soontir Fel?s words still had the power to scold, long after they had been spoken. I expected better of you--a not uncommon dynamic between fathers and their sons. Facing the wrath of his father, disappointing him yet again, was a fate worse than death, Jag had decided long ago. His father wasn?t always a hard man to deal with. Out of uniform, Soontir Fel was a kind, compassionate man, but once in uniform, his military training brought about a different facade, one Jag both feared and respected.

His actions here, however, would be considered rash. Rebellious, perhaps, and that would only damage his relationship with his father a little further. However, if I don?t go ahead with this, I?m going to continue throughout this war with the Yuuzhan Vong feeling as if I haven?t done my share in aiding the galaxy in some way. Father will be disappointed, but he will understand my reasoning.

He straightened and knocked on the door. It was only a matter of seconds before the door rolled back, and Wedge Antilles stood there, smiling through his weariness. Behind him, Jag noticed Luke Skywalker standing next to a corner desk. The Jedi Master looked over and smiled.

?Jag!? Wedge stepped away from the door, making room for Jag to enter. ?It?s good to see you! C?mon in!?

Jag bowed respectfully to his uncle, not moving into the office. ?I apologize for stopping by so late. I didn?t mean to interrupt--?

Wedge waved away the comment, the smile still on his face. ?Nonsense! Luke and I were just talking.? He clasped Jag on the shoulder, ushering him into the office. ?Besides, I always have time for family.?

Luke nodded to Wedge and Jag. ?I?ll leave the two of you to talk.?

Jag executed the same bow to Luke. ?Please don?t leave on my account, Master Skywalker. I?m not here on personal business.?

?Oh.? Luke looked mildly surprised as he turned to Wedge. They glanced at each other, exchanging conspiratorial smiles. The Jedi

2. Jade243

Jade243 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    great start :) keep going :)

3. Mira_Terrik

Feb 27, 2002
    Wow, that was fast! Thanks! I promise I'll make it more reader-friendly. :D

4. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Great start! Your characterization of my baby... I mean, Jag ;) , is right on.

One suggestion - insert a blank line between each paragraph. That will make it easier on my eyes. ;)

Looking forward to more!

5. JadeSaber

JadeSaber Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2002
    Nice start Mira! :)

You've got Jag down very well. I'm interested to see where you're going to take this.

I agree with Mely, separating paragraphs will be much easier to read. ;)

Looking forward to more!

6. Mira_Terrik

Feb 27, 2002
    Thanks for the tip! I thought I'd be able to copy and paste and when I saw how it looked.. *groan* I'll make it easier for the next one. :D

7. Hann315

Hann315 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2002
    very nice story. so, when's the next post?

8. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Mira, you can also edit posts here in fanfic indefinitely. So you can go back and edit it now. :)

9. Mira_Terrik

Feb 27, 2002
    Well, let's try this on for size! :D

Sorry this is long, I hope it is worth it!

Jag didn?t think his uncle?s eyes could pop so far out of his head, but Wedge surprised him. That initial shock was immediately erased with an expression that Jag couldn?t decipher. However, Luke was the first to speak.

?Our last recon to Kesna was six months ago. If the Vong are there, you run a very high risk of being detected, no matter where you jump in. If that happens, you could be captured or killed, and if you are captured, you?ll be tortured and turned into one of their slaves.?

The intensity on the Jedi Master?s face was chilling and for a brief moment Jag wondered if Luke had experienced one of those Jedi visions he had heard about. No, he?s simply voicing a concern, one that I?ve thought about a lot while walking here. He returned Luke?s stare, hoping he portrayed the same intensity. ?That won?t happen. I?d kill myself before the Vong got me.?

Wedge started to say something, but Jag interrupted, eager not to let this moment pass him by. ?There is an advantage to sending me alone, sir. The Vong have only encountered the Chiss on a handful of occasions, mostly during missions where we?ve assisted the New Republic. They know who we are, but for whatever reason they have yet to attack the Unknown Regions. Either we don?t matter to them or they have something lined up for us later on. They know that we have aided you from time-to-time, yet they are smart enough to realize that we are not aligned with you.?

Wedge continued to stare at him with that unreadable look. It made Jag slightly uncomfortable. ?Go on.? His voice revealed no emotion.

?If I go to Kesna on my own and there is a Vong fleet there, they will most likely consider me as nothing more than a scout, checking things out since they?ve taken Coruscant. There would be nothing in my ship?s logs or my arrival that would indicate that I?m affiliated with your resistance group here, should my ship be captured. I?ll plant false information to make them think I was nothing more than a long-range scout for the Chiss. I don?t think they?ll concern themselves too much with one fighter.?

He glanced at Luke, then back to his uncle. ?You need all the support you can get to help defend Borleias. Why risk five ships and their support on a recon mission when you can risk only one? Your loss won?t be as great if one ship goes down instead of five. I?m more expendable--?

?No!? Wedge pushed himself up from his desk in one fluent motion, his action so swift the chair he was sitting in fell to the floor. ?Don?t ever say that again, Jagged! No one is more expendable than anyone else here. Not you, not me! I?m surprised to hear such talk coming from the son of Soontir Fel!?

There was no mistaking the anger in Wedge?s voice and it had the power to silence and reprimand at the same time. Jag stared wide-eyed up at his uncle. The expression on his face had an eerie resemblance to his father?s. Wedge?s eyes narrowed as they seemed to bore right through to his soul, and his lips pursed into a tight, angry frown.

The silence blanketing the room was deafening. Jag could feel Luke?s stare flitting between himself and Wedge. He rose from his seat, placing his hands palm-down on the desk. Whenever he?d had discussions like this with his father, it usually resulted in Jag becoming too impassioned and Soontir showing disapproval towards his son?s pleas. He hoped things would be different with Wedge.

He took a deep breath, locking stares with Wedge. ? To the Chiss, knowledge is power. The more you know about your enemy, the better your chances of destroying them piece-by-piece before the eventual explosion. I don?t need to remind either of you of Grand Admiral Thrawn.? He paused briefly then continued. ?The Chiss parliament and my father are not willing to make any commitments to the ongoing war because they don?t know enough about the Vong yet to gauge how they will react. They are being cautio

10. Mira_Terrik

Feb 27, 2002
    Thanks for that too, Mely. I'll do that right now before I go to sleep!

Oh, and I know that I haven't posted lately on your Jaina/Jag fic, but I've been following it. Excellent as always. "Of Pilots and Jedi" partially inspired me, so hats off to you as well! :)

11. Mira_Terrik

Feb 27, 2002
    Since I had the day off from work, I thought I'd post. Here you go! :)

Seconds seemed like hours to Jag as he waited for his uncle's response. When Wedge finally spoke, his voice was quiet. ?As a parent, we do everything in our power to protect our children from danger. It?s easy when they?re smaller because their fears are simple and easily disposed of. As they get older, they develop their own thought process, their own state of mind and it?s harder for us to protect our children because they are able to make logical decisions on their own and defend themselves from danger. Still, it doesn?t stop us from worrying about them, wanting to protect and to keep that danger away from them, like when they were small.?

He leaned forward and placed his hands on the desk, mimicking Jag?s stance. The young pilot?s heart sank as he truly listened to his uncle?s words. He?s not going to send me because I?m family. He struggled to keep his gaze focused on Wedge, but failed. He dropped his head, fixing his stare on his hands once again, waiting for the acknowledgement from Wedge that he would not be going to Kesna. Another failure to add to the unimpressive streak of disappointments that seemed to follow him lately.

?Those feelings extend to you as well, Jag. Your arrival here adds a different level of concern. You?re a damn good pilot and having you here to assist is something I am truly grateful for. However, no one can predict the outcome of our defence of Borleias. If something were to happen to you, not only do I lose a pilot, I lose a member of my family. I?m not a stupid man. I know that is a consequence of war, but that doesn?t mean that I want a moment to come where I have to contact your family and tell your mother--my sister--that her third child is dead.?

Wedge sighed. There was another awkward silence and Jag suddenly wished that he had never come to Borleias. He?d prefer to stay in the Unknown Regions then stand here and listen to his uncle tell him he wasn?t going on a recon mission simply because they were family.

Jag stood up, drawing his hands away from the desk and allowed them to fall to his sides. He raised his head, focusing his stare beyond Wedge. He couldn?t bring himself to look at his uncle. He didn?t need to see his father?s expression staring back at him.

?If you truly feel that you need to do this, however, I will support you in any way I can.?

Jag?s eyes flicked to Wedge. His uncle was studying him, his hands behind his back. His expression was still sombre, however there was no disappointment in his eyes. Jag couldn?t have been more surprised by those words; he believed that Wedge wasn?t going to allow him to go on this mission. ?Excuse me??

A small grin tugged at the corner of Wedge?s lips. ?I can understand your feelings of inadequacy; knowing that you could do more but being restrained by a government that is unwilling to support you one hundred percent. I?ve been in that position myself, more times that I care to remember.?

He looked over to where Luke stood, then back to Jag. ?I?m not thrilled about letting you do this, especially since we have no idea if the Vong are at Kesna. However, you have mentioned that you?ve been on assignments like this before, and I trust that you?ll know when to get your butt out of there should trouble lay in wait.?

Wedge walked around the desk and stood next to Jag. He turned to face his uncle, the shock slowly leaving him. ?You have three days, Jag. If you?re not back in three days or if I have had no contact with you since then, I?ll have to assume the worst. I can?t afford to send people after you.?

Jag nodded, falling crisply back into formality. ?I understand.?

He began to bow respectfully to Wedge, but that was immediately halted when his uncle pulled him into an embrace. He stiffened, not use to such displays of emotion, then hesitantly hugged Wedge back.

?Come back safe, Jag.? Wedge said, stepping away from him. ?Don?t give me that reason to contact your parents

12. Hann315

Apr 7, 2002
    Wow. 2 posts in 1 day.VERY GOOD! Is Jaina going to come in on the next post?

13. Mira_Terrik

Feb 27, 2002
    Thanks! I'm glad a few are reading it! :) Yes, Jaina will make her appearance in the next post...but that's all I can say. Wouldn't want to give too much away, eh? :D

14. Jade243

Mar 31, 2002
    super post! very well written. i really enjoyed it :)

15. Mira_Terrik

Feb 27, 2002
    Thanks a lot for the feedback! It's nice to know that there are those interested in my work! I'll have the next post hopefully ready for Friday! :D

16. Hann315

Apr 7, 2002
    Friday? Sounds good. And OF COURSE i'll post comments. Its a big break from RL.

17. Mira_Terrik

Feb 27, 2002
    Thanks, Hann315! I admit that I've had the first two chapters written in advance and I want to try and post as regularly as possible. I'll do my best to give all the readers a great story! 8-}

18. Admiral_Lelila

Admiral_Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2001
    Ohhh I like this story!! [face_love] Great development of characters and the scenario. I'll be waiting and watching for more posts. :D

19. Celina_Marniss864

Celina_Marniss864 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2002
    Wow! Well, Mira, ya know *I* love this story, and it seems like everyone else does too! :) Congrats! Keep up the good work!

~Celina

20. Mira_Terrik

Feb 27, 2002
    Lelila: Thanks so much! I'm glad you're all enjoying it so far! I promise lots of mush and even some laughs!

Celina: Your suggestions and feedback help to make this story worth reading as well. I appreciate it! I owe ya big time! :D

I also posted it on fanfiction.net last night and already it's getting reviews there! This confirms my belief that Jaina/Jag fans are the best ever! :p

21. Mira_Terrik

Feb 27, 2002
    Okay, where'd my readers go? Hmm, guess I better lure you all back! As usual, it's long, so enjoy!

Sleep was not a friend to her this night. Jaina Solo stepped out of the biotics building and slowly made her way toward the landing grid. The last several weeks had been the hardest she?d experienced in her young life, and the dreams that came to her in the darkness of night did not offer comfort or a reprieve of the grief that had seized her heart. Admittedly, she had only tried to get some rest for about an hour after she had arrived on Borleias, after she?d had a meeting with Wedge Antilles about her purpose here. Her thoughts were divided, confused even, and that only helped to prevent any peace from entering her mind.

Jaina glanced around at the technicians and mechanics who worked ludicrous hours, just to ensure the smooth running of the base. The distant sounds of heavy machinery echoed in the air, but for the most part Borleias seemed quiet tonight. That is, if you ignore the fact that there are still Vong warriors on planet. A sigh slipped from her lips as Jaina brushed stray strands of hair away from her eyes. The wind was warm and gentle and the sky above was as clear as a Corusca white gem. She thought about visiting her parents, but changed her mind as the memory of how she treated them on Hapes danced through her thoughts. She had been upset by Anakin?s death; his funeral on Hapes still seemed surreal to her, and she couldn?t face talking to her parents about Jacen because both of them believed he was still alive. The only one she felt she could talk to was Lowbacca, and the Wookiee had gone to his quarters right after their late night dinner, weary from the journey to Borleias.

So, Jaina decided to head to the landing grid and seek out a technician who could direct her to the X-Wing that she would be flying while here. She loved being around starships, loved the chance to work on a craft every opportunity she had. Perhaps her ship would need some maintenance. That would keep her busy for a few hours, and hopefully by the time she was weary enough for sleep, she would be too tired to dream. Shoving her hands in the pockets of her flightsuit, Jaina quickened her pace, eager to become knee-deep in grease.

A strong ripple in the Force momentarily surprised her and Jaina stopped a few meters short of the landing grid. The presence was powerful and familiar to her yet different from that of a Jedi. Her father and Wedge possessed this sort of energy, as well as a few others she knew, but this aura was neither of them. Jaina turned in the direction of this presence and after a few quick seconds of searching, she saw him.

There were rare moments in her life where her breath had been taken from her. Jaina could count on her fingers the moments where she had been left speechless. The first time she used the Force. The first time her father let her help him work on the Millennium Falcon. The first time she flew among the stars. And this moment.

The Chiss Clawcraft sat alone on a dimly lit platform just east of the main landing grid. The floodlights shone upon the starship as if it were some sort of prized statue. Standing to the right of the ship was its pilot, dressed in a black flightsuit with red piping on the sleeves and pants. His left hand rested on his hip, his right dangled by his side. His right foot was propped up on an irregular rock that seemed out of place in this perfect moment. Jagged Fel?s face was turned slightly to his right, his head tilted upward toward the stars. The warm breeze played with his almost jet-black hair, the white lock above his right eyebrow falling repeatedly against his forehead then flying backward as if the wind took it on a private journey.

Jaina knew that she shouldn?t be staring at him. Anyone who happened along and saw her like this would probably enjoy spreading the word that she was practically drooling over the general?s nephew. She reluctantly pulled her stare away, gazing at the ground, but her eye

22. Jade243

Mar 31, 2002
    yay! a new post :D keep going. im really enjoying this :D

23. Kypadelia_McDurron

Kypadelia_McDurron Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2002
    This a superb story! I love how you have written Jag and can't wait to see what you do with Jaina. I was so nervous Wedge wou;ldn't let him go! Very good job at keeping us in eager anticipation. :)

Keep up the excellent work!
    Kypadelia

24. Hann315

Apr 7, 2002
    ur welcome. GREAT POST!!!!!!!!! And a day earlier than promised. Thankx!!!!

25. Mira_Terrik

Feb 27, 2002
    Welcome Kypadelia! Glad you are enjoying it so far! :)

Jade and Hann: My loyal readers! hehe, glad you're enjoying it as well!

I'll try not to make the later posts so long; I had Chapter 1 written out already and discovered I'd have to chop it into halves to fit it reasonably on here! You have to keep an eye on me...you never know when I'm gonna post. (Then again, I never know when I'm gonna post! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.