main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 1.13 - Call to Action - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Jan 30, 2015.

1. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Spoiler= Like this? /

2. Kentoa

Kentoa Jedi Master star 4

Oct 2, 2014
    No. Type spoiler with brackets around it like [ ] Then your message and then type spoiler again with brackets like this [ ] around the word except this time is a / after the first bracket [ and the s like [/spoiler]

Final result looks like this
    Han shot first

3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I think I get it now

Hooray! Thank you.^:)^

Kentoa likes this.
  4. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Love this episode. Superb use of
    Tarkin, he makes an excellent big boss character. The voice was nearly perfect, the intonation and precision was spot on and the accent was so nearly there... It sounded a little mid-Atlantic to my British ears but it was very artfully done.

I'm not sure if having him appear on Lothal before Vader (assuming that's a given) makes sense in terms of the chain of command, but I guess it does from an action story perspective. Tarkin is ruthless, methodical and sadistic, but when Vader inevitably arrives he can raise the stakes, massacre half the system, kill a bucketload of useless imps, and duel Kanan (if he survives the next episode).

I love how Tarkin turned up to kill the Disney gimmick characters!

So clever on multiple levels. To the naysayers who've been complaining about incompetent imperials and Disnification, well now the joke's on you. :p These intense episodes are going to sit very well when binge watching the finished series. I love the pace of the character and plot development, and it usually leaves me wanting more, this episode especially.

10/10

5. Puke-Jaywalker

Puke-Jaywalker Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 18, 2004
    Sure it's been said before but man they nailed Tarkin. He was really enjoyable to watch. Almost like Cushing's ghost right there being animated.

6. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    So, Tarkin shows up and basically says "you're a failure, you're a failure, you're failure!" to Maketh, Kallus and even the Inquisitor...but when it comes to actually offing somebody it happens to be those two poor Imperial officers?

7. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    From what I can tell they're emphasising Tarkin's tendency towards using his hunting skills to deal with situations.

So it usually means he targets a weaker target to make others fear him as usually those targets pose no threat and serve merely to highlight what he can do since there's no one that can thwart him(I still say Vader tried with Alderaan which would have made an interesting plot point to show Tarkin as more evil than him and ergo why Luke succeeded but that's just my head canon getting ahead of itself!:_|).

So landing his ship on demonstrators, sending a maid of his niece's to a prison planet just to shock the teenager, blowing up a pacifistic world... so killing two otherwise marginely competent imperials when he could have demoted them instead... yes he killed them because he can and he feels great being the Master Hunter.

cdgodin, Darth_Pevra and Darth Blade like this.
  8. Darth Blade

Darth Blade Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 29, 2014
    He killed Aresko and Grint because they were easily replaceable. There was no downside to killing them. But he needed the Inquisitor, Kallus, and Maketh so he couldn't just kill them off. He killed lower level people to motivate the important people to do a better job through fear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    It's amazing how badly I wanted to re-read the Tarkin novel after seeing this episode; Stanton did that good with the character.

When you factor all that novel material in, it becomes clear that Tarkin's actions on Lothal to date are pretty much routine for him. And they're absolutely explainable from his point of view. This was, after all, a man who from the age of eleven was carefully and methodically taught the difference between predator and prey, between the strong and the weak, and also taught the importance of dominance in nature and how to achieve it. At the age of sixteen he was taught that criminals, pirates, and activists were no different than the vermin and predators he had previously learned to subdue. At the age of eighteen he had already captured the head of a pirate group, and discouraged her followers by casting her straight into the sun while broadcasting her screams openly for all to hear. Tarkin learned his trade early, and he learned it well.

So now here he is on Lothal, approximately sixty years of age, and by now he's long since become the expert at mucking out the stable, including on a planetary level, as his actions on Antar can attest to. Like a homicidal version of Jon Taffer or Gordon Ramsay, he's come to clean house. The deaths of Aresko and Grint are by now simply part of his method, his "schtick." Why them? Because they were the first to turn up with a failure; it could just as easily have been some other officer or officers that he ordered killed; the point was not necessarily to kill THEM, but to kill SOMEONE. Aresko and Grint were merely convenient; he needed bodies on the ground to put the spurs to the rest, to show Tua and Kallus that he was serious and that the old, slacker method of doing things on Lothal was over.

Speaking of connections to the novel, it's entirely possible that the Star Destroyer he came in is the Executrix, which would mean it has been his command ship, more or less, for about a decade by this episode - but of course we have no indication, either way, of whether or not that's actually the case. It's just not something we can yet rule out.

10. Stephen Stanton

Stephen Stanton Jedi Youngling

Feb 2, 2015
    Thank you so much for the kind words Ben R! Continuing the portrayal of a classic animated character is something many voice actors are familiar with, but the translation of an on-camera actor's canon performance into animation is a group effort amongst the animators, actor, director & writers. We even go so far as to make changes during the VO recording session if we feel even one word doesn't feel like something that character would utter! Going way back to The Clone Wars series, we all put a lot of effort into getting things as "right" as possible--we don't always succeed 100%, but that is always our goal.

Thanks for your continuing support--I think you'll find the rest of this season very interesting :)
    --Stephen

cdgodin, Seerow, spicer and 11 others like this.
  11. Stephen Stanton

Feb 2, 2015
    Thank you again for the kind words! :)
    Regarding the episode, I think overall it pulls out all the stops: the color/lighting/detail in that opening sequence is top-notch…it harkens back to the kind of attention to detail Joel Aaron & his team poured into the destruction of the Jedi Cruiser in TCW's "Point of No Return". I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)

Kentoa likes this.
  12. Stephen Stanton

Feb 2, 2015

Thank you so much!
    I liked the novel very much and would love to see another one--incredibly detailed, yet so much more material left to be explored! :)

13. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Welcome to the board, Stephen! Glad to have you hear and discuss SW with us! I follow you on Facebook and can't say enough how awesome it is to have you as part of the SW universe, and how passionate you are about every aspect of it! Glad to see you're back as Tarkin, as you're as much of the character as Peter Cushing is. May the Force be with you!

Stephen Stanton likes this.
  14. Stephen Stanton

Feb 2, 2015

Thank you for the warm Welcome! :)
    I have been overwhelmed by the positive reaction to this episode--to be honest, it was surprising to me that it was released so early!!
    And it's great to have been a part of not only the revival of this character, but also his growth from Captain to Admiral and now Grand Moff :)

15. Ben R

Ben R Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2000

That's all great news to me. You can clearly tell how much you and the rest of the crew put into getting this character just right. I cannot wait to see what Tarkin does in the coming final episodes of this season. And, the fact that we know that Tarkin lives past the timeline of this particular "Rebels" series leaves the door open to see more of him in future seasons. As much as I'm sure you're looking forward to the opportunity to do that work, the rest of us are just as eager to enjoy it. Thanks again for chatting with us.

16. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I have a feeling you're going to be on the forefront of that exploration, Stephen. ;)

Of course, we're happy as all hell to have you here with us. It's a relatively rare thing for an actor, the person who breathes life into the characters we can only talk about on the outside looking in, to become a presence here on the boards and share (without spoiling any upcoming surprises, of course) stories and insights with us. Please feel free to hang with us whenever you like! :)

17. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Really great episode! I could only repeat what others have said already. Tarkin was great in TCW, he is also great in Rebels. Love the character and hope he gets more excellent scenes.

I often have my doubts about the series but episodes like this keep me watching.

I am guessing we won't have to wait long for Vader to show up now.

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Stephen Stanton what have you liked voicing better Tarkin in the clone wars or in Rebels.

19. Stephen Stanton

Feb 2, 2015

Both are enjoyable for different reasons:
    1) In TCW we got to meet the young, energetic, Capt. Tarkin--a military man. His dislike for the Jedi grew out of his feeling that peacekeepers do not know how to win a war. He was pompous, obstinate, and irritating--yet he was not thoroughly unlikeable (opinions will differ on that last part!). It was fun to explore the beginnings of his relationship with Anakin and see him fight side-by-side with the Jedi. By the end of the series he had been promoted to Admiral and we saw him rise in power and begin to use it for his own gain.
    2) In SWR we get to see the GRAND MOFF, who is now more like the character we know from ANH. As an actor, it's wonderful to portray these characters and watch them as they grow.
    Look at Ian McDiarmid's wonderful portrayal of Palpatine from Senator to Emperor! It'still the same character, but you see him transform over the years. Playing each part of a character's life offers it's own challenges and rewards :)

cdgodin, Delta-7, Nayath and 9 others like this.
  20. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

Good answer I love your work with him you do an excellent job can't wait to see you in Future episodes of SWR.:)

21. Ben R

Ben R Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2000

Agreed. That's one of the great things that's happening with Star Wars: The inter-woven story lines, themes, and character development which cross over between the TV shows, movies, comics, and novels. It seems that great care is being taken to create cohesive performances and stories - which all take each other into account.

22. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Outstanding episode. I was in Star Wars fanboy heaven! Keep it up guys!

23. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    I'm not a fan of all of these cameos, but at least this one makes logical sense. Local leadership is failing at their job you usually send in the big boys to fix it, so I have no problem with it.

24. Freelancer257

Freelancer257 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 20, 2004
    I thought this was a fantastic episode, surprisingly brutal in places. Given recent real-world events, the executions(although off-screen) were perhaps even more chilling because it is largely left to your imagination.

The cliffhanger ending would have made a good season cliffhanger, if this episode had been later in the season.

V-2 likes this.
  25. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    As others have noted, the treatment of the Empire here is amazing. I think most people want a fairly static depiction of the Empire. They want it to be nothing but doom, gloom, and pure terror. Rebels is giving us a much more dynamic view of the Empire. It is still growing and refining itself into the ultimate evil we see in ANH.