main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 2.21/22 - Twilight of the Apprentice (Season Finale!!) - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Mar 27, 2016.

1. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000

Agreed. Ezra barely knew Ahsoka, (they had limited screen time at best) . From his perspective it's hard to imagine him being that cut up. Now I am not saying it would be Dicer levels, where he literally forgets her in the course of looking for her but he shouldn't be weeping tears over Ahsoka.

2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

When I mentioned perspective, I meant from the actual viewer of the show, not the characters. In general, I'd imagine that more Ahsoka fans would characterize that immediate reaction by Ezra as being forced. Yes, we're upset, but is he really all that affected by it? If Kanan was killed by Vader, it'd have been a different story. But Rebels (outside of the comics, which has been mentioned here) hasn't shown Ahsoka to have that much of an impact on the Ghost Crew; much less directly with Ezra. She wasn't the mentor/Gandalf-type character that we first assumed she'd be.

3. Devizz

Devizz Jedi Master star 3

Apr 30, 2014

What comics? :eek:

4. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

Someone mentioned that Ahsoka appears with the Ghost Crew more often in some side Rebels comics.

5. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    That would be me. I don't read them, but I believe the short comic stories are all apart of the Rebels Magazine series...and I do believe they are canon. This particular story shows Ahsoka getting involved with the Ghost Crew pretty early on, indicated by Sabine having not changed her look for season 2 yet:

[​IMG]

6. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Guess it's better than nothing; I haven't come across those comics.

7. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    that was fascinating!

8. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Maybe not just her death. Maybe it's from the weight of the whole experience, especially for someone in a turbulent stage of life.
    There's a parallel there, in that Ahsoka "died" by staying behind, ensuring that others escaped. I think Ezra did look up to her, and now has one less person to turn to. He may indeed regret not getting more insight from someone who stood on more neutral ground as a Force user.

9. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    From the some of the dialogue in a few of the episodes, off camera, Ahsoka has been on and off helping both Kanan and Ezra since the Season One finale all the way up to the Season Two finale. But its unclear why she made so little appearances. And that is pretty much how Filoni and Ashley described her role way back when.

"Ahsoka in Clone Wars was more like Ezra," Ashley Eckstein explained of her character's journey. "She was the student, she was the Padawan. Now she's more of like the mentor, or the teacher — she's more like Obi-Wan, or Yoda."

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/star-wars-...yoda-ezra-kanan-will-darth-vader-kill-1504858

But I've always said this show would've benefited from a comic like TCW had, I think it was a major misstep.

10. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    [​IMG]

That hopeful look on Ahsoka's face... She so desperately wants to believe that the man before her now is the same person she knew so many years ago.
    Sadly, he is not. He is someone else entirely. He is lost to her.
    Such beautiful and heart-wrenching tragedy.

11. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

One thing I haven't seen many people talking about was Vader's eyes as Ahsoka tells him she won't leave him again. At least briefly, it looks as if he's thinking about her from Anakin's perspective...only after does he wield his saber and vow that she'll die.

rumblewagon and TheReal_Rebel like this.
  12. TheReal_Rebel

TheReal_Rebel Jedi Master star 3

Sep 17, 2015
    Yes! But it hints at the fact he is not the force wielding automaton the Emperor assumes he is in ROTJ

rumblewagon and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  13. Tanjint

Tanjint Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2015
    I went through the first 17 pages of this and then came to this to ask some questions.....

What the heck is going on with the Temple and its weapon? What could that power actually do once harnessed? Blast a person? A planet?

is the weapon of the temple the "chance" the Rebels were being given to destroy the Sith? or just the fact that Vader, Maul and Inquistors were there indicates they had a chance in the sense that technically it would have dealt a fatal blow to the Sith were they able to destroy Vader in that situation?

And if the answer is the latter, why bother building Death Stars and the like? Why not just collect all such Sith terrors?

Also regarding Kanan's eyes....I guess I have to rewatch the scene but it looked like Maul just hit Kanan's eyes with the Force or threw some kind of red sand at them? Is the consensus that Maul struck Kanan's face with a lightsaber blade?

For those who think Vader and Ahsoka just walked away from this battle....if Vader wasn't determined to kill Ahsoka, but just wanted to get Ezra/Holocron/Sith temple weapon, then why even stick around to fight her once Ezra and company exit? For those who think Ahsoka lives, how is that possibly compatible with what we know about the rest of the saga?

I've only seen a few episodes into the 3rd season at this point but this season 2 finale had me curious about this stuff.

Thanks!

-T

14. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

Taking the points one at a time:

1. We don't know the full capabilities of the Sith Battlestation on Malachor. All we know is that it had "the power to destroy life" and Maul believed that power would be sufficient for him to be able to exact revenge on all his enemies.
    2. The "chance" that the Rebels were given to destroy the Sith was the presence of Maul on Malachor, which would draw the Inquisitors into ambush. With Maul's help, Ezra, Ahsoka and Kanan would be able to eliminate the Inquisitors and then take on Vader with their combined strength. Because Ezra fell prey to Maul's deceptions and because Kanan didn't stop it, Maul betrayed them and Ahsoka had to face Vader alone.
    3. As for why to build Death Stars as opposed to using the Sith Battlestation, the Malachor Battlestation was extremely unstable and difficult to control. It was also perhaps the only one of it's kind left intact in the Galaxy. Darth Sidious would much rather have a reliable weapon that he could control absolutely. And as mentioned before, we have no idea what the capabilities of the Malachor Battlestation were.
    4. Maul slashed Kanan right in the eyes with his lightsaber, thus blinding him. It's very obvious if you re-watch the scene slowly.
    5. Ahsoka is alive. But Vader thinks he killed her, as they were separated in the explosion. As for Ahsoka's impact on the rest of the Saga, bear in mind she's trapped on a desolate world at the edge of known space and all her allies and enemies believe her to be dead. She won't be playing a role in the galactic conflict.
    I think I hit on all your points there, I wasn't sure if you'd get much response from a year-old thread.

Tanjint likes this.
  15. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Those two episodes were to me the best in the entire series. I hope that this season's finale is half as good.

Noir Deux, Vialco and Tanjint like this.
  16. Tanjint

Tanjint Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2015
    Thanks so much, this was indeed helpful!

Just to drill down on some of this, regarding your explanation of the "chance" the Rebels had- you're saying if Ezra had been a little wiser about the situation he could have kept Maul in check long enough to destroy Vader with them? Man, that is a cool idea.

Definitely gonna have to rewatch the Maul/Kanan blinding scene, thanks for that.

What makes you think Ahsoka lives? What folks were saying earlier in this discussion about being able to see her scurrying off around the same time Vader does? Didn't catch that myself but will definitely watch for that in my second viewing too. So Ahsoka is stranded on Malachor? Holy crap!

vong333 agreed about these two episodes, really great stuff indeed.

Thanks!

- T

17. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Big surprise, it wasn't.

18. The Senate

The Senate Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 12, 2020
    I feel like Vader wasn’t using his full power in twilight of the apprentice.Was he trying to capture/Turn her? Or actually trying to kill her?

19. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I think he was trying to get her away from the temple so he could take the holocron with ease.

20. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Vader was taking her seriously and trying to kill her. He was using both arms and preforming heavy strikes with agility previously unseen from him to fight her whereas he toys with people like Kanan & Ezra and Cal & Cere by using one arm and letting them attack him first. He did the same with Luke initially on Bespin. You know he means business when he switches over to both arms.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  21. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    His final lightsaber stroke was aimed directly at her, while she had her own lightsabers dug into the floor and was making no attempt to parry.

It's uncertain what she was attempting to achieve. She seemed to be cracking the floor... she may have been trying to drop Vader into the depths of the temple and bury him. Her continued feeding of lightsaber energy into the floor, declining to bring up a defense as Vader brought his saber down, may indicate that she made a snap decision to sacrifice her life in the attempt to bury Vader and possibly take him with her, ridding the galaxy of his evil. Of course, Ezra reached out of the void and yanked her out of harm's way, but the fact remains that Vader swung a blow that would have intersected with where Ahsoka physically was, while Ahsoka did not have any defense up. That sure looks like killing intent to me.

Vialco and cwustudent like this.
  22. The Senate

Feb 12, 2020
    Because if this Ahsoka has technically died twice and been saved(First time was from the daughter) (Second time was from ezra time traveling)

23. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Must be a thing with these Togruta ladies. Shaak Ti has IIRC 3 or 4 deaths.

24. The Senate

Feb 12, 2020
    I dont get the power levels in this episode.Maul says how he can’t beat. After alone yet Kanan beats Maul and he lost to Vader earlier in the series.Also Maul was able to battle 3 inquisitors at once and Ahsoka could only battle two.Kanan could beat Maul but not 2 Inquisitors.WTF

25. Kole

Kole Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2016
    Does the same team always win in an NBA playoff series? The teams are the exact same in each game, but yet we see sometimes vastly different results game to game. I imagine the same principle holds true in lightsaber duels between force wielders

cwustudent likes this.