main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 3.19 - Double Agent Droid - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Mar 9, 2017.

1. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    I usually don't go for droid episodes but I enjoyed this one and AP-5 a lot. Until the end that is. It would have been much more interesting if the Imperials were able to get 50% of the file,all of it or even just have to report back to Thrawn that they failed and that the Rebels got what they came for. Chopper not blowing up but an entire ship does? So it was great until then. And then it was back to the same old stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i liked the episode. i was worried towards the end it was the end of AP-5. i was hoping they'd finish off chopper though

revan772 likes this.
  3. Gahmah Raan

Gahmah Raan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2015
    It was an alright episode. Not exactly the most exciting episode, but a somewhat enjoyable one.

Nice to see some Imperials actually seeing through Chopper's re-used disguise (and as I suspected, Thrawn did catch on to him). In regards to the Controller, it's interesting that while the rest of his crew got seem to be robotic in behavior (what eventually happened to Lobot), the Controller seems to have more autonomy despite having the same implants. And it's amusing to see someone with glasses and not an electronic visor (like the other cyborgs) in the Star Wars universe to deal with the eyestrain gained from being around computers all the time.

We finally get to (sort of) see a toilet.

And I laughed when AP-5 was about to break into a musical number before the Ghost interrupted him. It feels out of place (as was what a lot of us fans feared when Disney first bought the franchise), but it ends up being hilarious because it was attempted by a comically dour character.

4. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Yeah, I think I need to rant for a bit.

I’m going to agree with others about Hera causing the Imperial ship to explode was over the top, senseless and narratively pointless. And in an universe where droids have pain receptors, it feels a bit of an extreme vendetta. Was it really necessary to kill non-combatants just because “no one messes with my droid!”? This is show is pretty good at getting me on the side of the Imperials.

This could have been a new insight into Hera’s character to be expended further, though it’s pretty clear the writers just wanted it to be a badass moment for her – it just came across as ridiculous instead. But what felt particularly off about that scene is that if this was Anakin in TCW, his actions would have certainly been judged by the other characters, for a good reason. And yet, I can’t even imagine TCW Anakin, who was quite an extremist himself, doing such an extreme thing to R2.

And I think this is becoming an issue with this show for me: characters' actions too often come across as too cartoon-ish and the victories are becoming too dependent on character stupidity, plot convenience and deus ex machina, like TFA on steroids. Relationships between characters feel thin and too consequence-free. They hint at character development but hardly commit to it. Ezra was a bit of an exception in the season premiere, but that was quickly resolved and now he’s the same exact guy as he was before. Sabine got one episode and then just went on a vacation, with no sense of an emotional separation. Which is fine in itself because there are many shows that are also endless episodic adventures of permanently static characters where they can do whatever because it’s a cartoon and nothing matters, but that hinders humanization and my ability to relate to them. They even feel detached from the very universe they are inserted.

Don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy the stories told in these episodes. I just can’t connect with the characters enough to be sad or happy for them whenever something happens.

But anyway, about this episode: I thought it was fun. I appreciate the wackiness of the musical number. My favorite bit was the droid with a female voice (finally!). I also liked the Imperials design here and the atmosphere. I still find AP-5 annoying though.

5. RedVad

RedVad Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 29, 2012
    The invincible Ghost crew are tiresome and un-Star Wars like, the OT and PT put the main characters in harms way and even killed some of them off.

I'd honestly prefer a show about AP-5 over Rebels.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  6. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Maybe I'm the only one but I read all the (canon) novels, marvel comics etc and it all feels like one big cohesive universe EXCEPT Rebels. It's tone and presentation just feel so jarring compared to everything else

In novels- we have a power mad admiral sacrificing the entire empire in an effort to start anew and make a point
    In comics- we have a rogue archaeologist and her two murder bots going around space while Leia is forced to watch as hundreds of unarmed imperial prisoners are massacred by a crazed former rebel
    In films- we have a group of ner-do-wellers coming together to form an assault on an imperial base only for everyone to die except a small shimmer of hope
    In rebels- we have a stuck up droid singing in space while a load of pink fluffly aliens swim along side him before he bangs his head on an oncoming ship- CLANG (someone award Filoni the 2017 comedy award))

The biggest shame as well is that for most casual fans rebels is pretty much the only type of star wars content they're able to experience between films.

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I mean, that's highly selective. I can do it too. ;)

In novels- we have a hero of the Rebellion wasting time by trying to make his noodles float
    In comics- we have silly adventure of a droid trying to get from a briefing room to a hanger only to keep running into ALL the obstacles; and then when he gets there turns out the mission was cancelled
    In films- we have an annoying frog-man end up in hijink after hijink, such as getting reprimanded for sticking his tongue across the dining table, stepping in poo, and nearly killing himself in the middle of a high-stakes battle because he's clumsy
    in TV- we have a brutal and cunning enemy officer making more headway against the nascent Rebellion than any of his colleagues ever made, not to mention the ever-present subjugation of innocent peoples across the galaxy

I mean, this is Star Wars we're talking about. The ridiculous and the serious go hand in hand, as is fitting for a pulpy science fiction/fantasy setting.

8. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    How has Thrawn made more progress than Vader or Tarkin?

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Vader took out a single squadron, drove the Spectres off Lothal, and incapacitated a former Jedi. Tarkin eliminated two of his own incompetent men (which I guess makes the Empire slightly less pathetic) and destroyed an Imperial comms tower (after the Rebels had already used it, but I guess they can't use it again).

That's about all they've done in this entire show. Thrawn's continually outsmarted and outmaneuvered the Rebels, and has slowly but surely been taking the necessary steps to locating one of their key bases and drawing their fleet out of hiding.

But that's beside the point. The argument that Rebels somehow doesn't tonally fit within the greater scope of the SW franchise is quite clearly borne more out of personal taste than actuality.

10. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    This felt like the Holiday Special of Rebels episodes. And I like it.

Vialco likes this.
  11. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2004
    This episode...rocked.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    They cant though...Rogue One.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I enjoyed this one, except for finding AP-5 annoying through most of it. He seems like he's just waiting for the Empire to die so he can pursue a second career performing Broadway show tunes.

And he needs to let Wedge pee in peace.

I'm glad the Imperials were only able to override Chopper temporarily as opposed to ensuring that any info stored within him made it all the way to Thrawn. Although given the last couple of Thrawn episodes, I'm almost surprised that we didn't have an afterward in which Thrawn used telepathy to figure out where the rebel base was despite Hera reversing the power source and blowing up the ship.

...a moment that I loved. I thought maybe she would just short-circuit their machinery but nope, the entire damn ship because "nobody messes with my droid."

Chopper had annoyed me a bit early in the series, except when he was beating up Ezra, but I love him now.

14. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    That scene was pretty bad, I mean the amount of power they pulled out've Hera's refresher put Tyranus, Sidious and Talzin's lightning to shame.[face_dunno]

15. Zillobeast

Zillobeast Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 6, 2016
    I'm very sure the goofy ending with the pink things surrounding AP-5 is actually a parody of the people who thought that the show would be "Disneyfied and kiddy".

16. Embomania

Embomania Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 2, 2013
    This episode felt in a way like they jumped the shark. Which is ridiculous at this point in the series. Filoni taking a backseat this season is definitely being felt.

Vialco likes this.
  17. Ben09

Ben09 Jedi Knight

Jun 18, 2016
    [​IMG]

Embomania likes this.
  18. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    It would have been an acceptable, fun little episode, if they didn't destroyed Pablo Hidalgo's ship.
    That was so ******* stupid.
    Man, **** these rebels, they are nothing like they movie counterparts.

Vialco likes this.
  19. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001

I agree with the self-awareness --- if you watch Rebels Recon Filoni even uses the word "filler" and makes it clear he is aware of the fanbase calling them that.

However -- if the consequences are some of us hate these episodes while others love them -- well, I guess that means they are acting not only in accordance with every single episode of TCW and Rebels but also with most every other TV show on the planet as well as any other artistic / creative endeavor in the history of mankind.

I happen to like your general analysis of all things Star Wars that I read here -- even if / when I disagree. However -- you are over the top negative on this show in my opinion and seem to overlook the fact that so many others disagree with you as if your opinion is the only opinion that matters.
    I say this with respect and I do believe you give your honest opinion. And that is fair and well within bounds. I just feel 98% of your posts in the Rebels forum are 98% negative.
    If nothing else, I just want you to consider "taking it for what it is" meaning that Rebels is Rebels -- a less critical eye might allow more enjoyment. We fans cannot really affect the direction of the series or what the creators are going to do. We can control how we choose to view the series. Enjoy it for what it is and do a little less not liking it for what it isn't.

You'll live longer my friend! [:D]

20. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    If I come across as negative or extreme, its with good reason I would say. I think they could do better, and when they do they put on a solid show they're often top notch in quality - but I'd like more consistency from them. But I know its Hollywood and they have such and such to deal with and ect. I consider myself a gruff but fair minded person and speaker, I always tend to call things the way I see them and many times I say things in jest where I'm not wholly serious and just shooting the breeze - I am a New Yorker.

21. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Ok my biggest beef was,

and AP-5 singing in space that to me was to much like the holiday Star Wars Special other then those two things I liked It.

22. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001

Yea - I get that about you -- which is why I wanted to make sure I didn't come across as nasty or offensive. And it's certainly not like you are some unique basher of all things Rebels -- that goes without saying. Could they do better? Yes. But few things are perfect - I'm sure I'm not perfect at my job and yet I am trying to please my partners and my clients 99.99% of the time.

I'm a New Yorker myself -- born, bred, and present -- must be why I was comfortable mentioning your posts in this context.

When people get worked up over something like AP-5 singing because it doesn't fit into their personal view of Star Wars Rebels -- it's antithetical to the fact that it IS what Star Wars Rebels is - from time to time. I thought I was having some kind of flashback for a sec -- and I loved it. Suffice to say I'm a heck of a lot more excited for next week as well as any episodes that drive the mythos and inter connectivity of Star Wars in general. But I can live with these ones as well.

23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I wish they would have left AP-5 floating in space instead of picking him back up. Of course, I've also been hoping Chopper would be thrown out of an airlock with his rocket disabled and that hasn't happened (and obviously won't now :(.) :p

SilentGuy66 and Guidman like this.
  24. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I think this season started off pretty weak (especially compared to the amazing second half of season 2), but has become much better since the break. But... this episode...

To me this was hands down the worst episode of Rebels so far! Bathroom jokes? Really? A musical number? Yeah, this might be the one episode I'll never revisit.
    The one thing I liked was when Hera got mad at the end. Hera, as usual, is awesome!

SilentGuy66 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    That and the Josh Gad's character were probably the only things I liked about this episode. Although blowing up the ship by sending a power surge was just... I can't even... :p

TCF-1138 likes this.