main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 4.01-4.02 - Heroes of Mandalore - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Apr 15, 2017.

1. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    I don’t need horrific deaths every episode. This episode was about the struggles and sacrifices being made to unite Mandalore. The loss of Sabine’s mother and brother would’ve added weight to her motivation to see this through. Having the family survive the attack robbed the audience and Sabine any real personal stakes in this fight.

It makes me sliiightly concerned with how they will wrap up Ezra/Kanan/Ahsoka at series end. Both Kanan and Ezra have stagnated over the last season, Zeb and chopper haven’t really had any growth. What I am trying to say is there seems to be a lingering fear of shaking up the status quo.

I understand that at the end of the day this show is targeted to a much younger audience than myself. I am a Star Wars fan and I do love this show. It just gets frustrating when you have these amazing episodes like Rise of The Old Masters, great moments with Thrawn/Maul/Vader but shy away from anything that has any lasting effect on our main characters for more than an episode or two.

TLDR - I am not the target audience of Rebels but I want it targeted to me.

2. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    I thought it was great. Very gritty episode and I like what they've done with Mandalore.

Tobias Menzies was great as the villain, which isn't a surprise.

SPOILERS!!!!!

I do agree that they copped out by not killing Sabine's family in the attack. I'm also disappointed about Sabine giving up the leadership role.

That being said, I think the show is stronger than ever and I love it.

3. Rogue Seven

Rogue Seven Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    I keep waiting for Bo-Katan to reveal a young ward, who turns out to be her niece....the hidden daughter of her deceased sister, and an "unknown" Jedi soldier from the Clone Wars. Who will eventually grow up to meet and fall in love with Luke, and make Rey Kenobi-Skywalker. Hidden as a child because of her powerful lineages. ;)

Also, Tobias Menzies is pretty much incredible in EVERYTHING he's in.

Liked the opener, didn't love it. Had some solid moments. Mandalorian stuff is always decent-to-middling for me....so I was destined to not be TOO interested.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  4. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I guess this wrap up the Mandalore storyline in Rebels. Doesn't mean it won't be featured in books or comics.

5. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Given how much SW LOVES to use the "dead family" trope as character motivation, I won't complain too much that they didn't do it here. Especially since we already had Ezra's parents being killed, and most of Zeb's race being exterminated.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  6. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    If he doesn't become a space pirate/mercenary alongside Hondo Ohnaka and Kanan, I will be very disappointed

Granted, Kanan is waving all the Death Flags at this point, so I'll be shocked if he survives to the end

theraphos and Rogue Seven like this.
  7. Rogue Seven

Rogue Seven Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    Kanan dying a heroic death, and Ezra getting to go off and live as a pirate with Hondo is PERFECTION. I want you to know this.

Force Smuggler and Vinylshadow like this.
  8. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    I knew Sabine was going to give up the Darksaber sooner or later, but I was expecting to feel at least somewhat disappointed. This show is sanitized to the point that unless she's fighting a fellow sword user, there's really no point to having it at all.

9. JH24

JH24 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 19, 2017

Ezra going with Hondo Ohnaka would be very fitting. I'd love that. Although something pretty desperate (Kanan's death would fall into that category) would have to happen for Ezra to become so demoralized to abandon the rebellion. But they do indicate in the trailer Ezra has to make a choice that will change everything for him.

Ezra becoming a Mandalorian could potentially work as well though.

10. Ben R

Ben R Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2000
    I posted this elsewhere. But, it's relevant here: After seeing the 1st 2 Episodes of this 4th and final season, I must say that I am TOTALLY underwhelmed. I really, really want to love this series. I like Season 1. I love the episoides with the inquisitors, Tarkin, Maul, and Vader. Great stuff. The other seasons have had OK moments. But, something feels off. I adore the Clone Wars series. I feel that George Lucas's absence on this series is hurting in a number of ways - when I compare why I loved the Clone Wars and not Rebels. These 1st 2 Episodes for me felt basically like this...

* Yay! Mandalorians.
    * Look --- MORE Mandalorians.
    * Lots of jet packing around with people shooting and missing each other.
    * Oh, look. There's Kanan & Ezra.
    * More Mandaloreans standing around and talking.
    * Oh, wait! There's a cool weapon. Wow! Sabine created the weapon that was used to kill her mother and brother. Now, THAT is clever! Here we go. It's about to get better...
    * Oh, wait... the mother and brother survived. (Cue game show failure music: "Wah----wah---wah---waaaaaahhhhhhhh....")
    * More mandalorians fighting stormtroopers.
    * Good guys all escape. ...AGAIN.
    * Roll credits.

[face_plain]

So, 2 of the final 16 (is it 16...?) --- no, I should say the season PREMIER Episodes of this series were wasted on this story - for WHAT reason? This is the LAST season. Every episode should have impact. There should be more Vader. There should be Palpatine showing up. Members of the ghost crew need to start getting killed off. Let them die honorably. But, start moving on. Lead us into the events of Rogue One. I feel like Filoni spins his wheels too much on this series with stuff that most people don't really want or need to see.

TheMDOSS1313 and Jesta' like this.
  11. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    It sounds to me like you're just looking for death and violence. In my opinion that's not what Star Wars has ever been about.

You'll probably like to know that Kanan's chances of surviving season 4 aren't good.

12. Jesta'

Jesta' Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2017
    Oh, so instead we can enjoy the great character development and interaction. Oh wait Rebels doesn't have any.

Clone Wars had great writing, characters, and action (some would say pointless violence).

Classic Doctor Who can have amazing plots, and they nearly all involve high body counts! I get disappointed when ever it doesn't!

13. MandoArtist

Nov 12, 2015
    You clearly don't pay much attention, then.

Vinylshadow likes this.
  14. Ben R

Mar 26, 2000
    Incorrect. I like arcs with a story that's interesting. If I only approve of things because I "like violence", I would have loved these 2 first episodes. The whole THING was shooting and fighting. But, I couldn't stand them. I was bored. There was no point to much of it - that I felt, anyway. Give me something interesting. The whole thing with Agent Kallus (spelling?) and Zeb forming a friendship and him coming over to the Rebellion. Good stuff. The playful bickering between Chopper and the Imperial Inventory drioid who is now a rebel... good stuff. This whole Sabine / Mando thing has felt forced and pointless to me from the first minute they went there in past episodes. I don't get it. I don't see what's being accomplished. The Mandalorian warriors are no part (whatsoever) of the rebel forces in Rogue One and the Original Trilogy. So, WHAT.. the HELL... is Filoni... DOING with this? That's my point.

Is Asoka going to return? Get to that! Is Vader going to be seen again? Get to that! Are some members of the Ghost crew going to die? Get to that! Are we going to see more of Bail Organa, Mon Mothma, and other classic Rebel leaders? Get to that! Will the Death Star be referenced or alluded to in any way again in this series? Get to that! Is Agent Kallus going to have an honorable death? get to that! Is Ezra going to die? (He needs to because you cannot explain why a Jedi would still be around in the O.T. but is never involved or referred to. ..Same for Kanan.) Get to that!

...By the way, you seem to be sort of a "1 trick pony" as I read further back in this discussion. I see the you continually accuse anyone here who doesn't like these episodes of "only liking violence and death". Argue something else, please.

15. Jesta'

Jan 25, 2017
    I've watched ever single episode. Those are hours of my life I can't get back.

16. MandoArtist

Nov 12, 2015
    You have a funny way of recognising development, then. I don't think anyone can deny that Kanan and Sabine have developed at a lot from their season 1 counterparts.

And as for interaction...yeah, I can't even begin to explain how you couldn't see that Rebels has plenty of that.

Vinylshadow likes this.
  17. Jesta'

Jan 25, 2017
    Yeah, it took 1.5 seasons for Sabine to get a larger backstory than "the Empire". And I didn't say that Rebels doesn't have interaction. It does, it's just not good.

18. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    If you want to try and make your case for Rebels being as good as you say it is, then actually make a case. Saying that people don't 'pay much attention' or 'recognize development', or that you 'can't begin to explain' what you enjoy about the show to someone who obviously doesn't see it the same way as you.

TheMDOSS1313 and Jesta' like this.
  19. MandoArtist

Nov 12, 2015
    So you acknowledge Sabine received backstory, and I don't think you'll argue that Kanan received much of it too. So you know it's false when you said Rebels doesn't have any development.

And you did say Rebels doesn't have any interactions.

"Oh wait, Rebels doesn't have any".

20. DavrelKex

DavrelKex Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 18, 2016

It's fanservice for the Mando fans like myself. We are unlikely to get a whole lot of Mando content elsewhere, and everything we had was ripped away in TCW and in the wipe but we don't have the advantage of being a main attraction like the Empire, jedi and Sith. So Filoni used a grand total of FIVE episodes in the series to give us back our piece of the fandom pie. Now that he has (and I'm personally very satisfied) they will move on.

MrDarth0 and MandoArtist like this.
  21. Jesta'

Jan 25, 2017
    No, I said it didn't have any great interactions. If you were going to assume I said that, then according to you, I said Rebels doesn't have any action.

22. Ben R

Mar 26, 2000
    Thank the maker.

;)

23. MandoArtist

Nov 12, 2015
    Until Lucasfilm decide to bring back TCW exactly the way people remember it (they won't), there will be those who find everything else distasteful.

24. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Citation needed.

TheMDOSS1313 likes this.
  25. MandoArtist

Nov 12, 2015
    You think more of the classic TCW is possible on a reduced budget, airing on Disney XD?

Rogue Seven and Snafu55 like this.