main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 4.03-4.04 - In the Name of the Rebellion - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Oct 20, 2017.

1. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    First appearance of the Deathtroopers. I really feel they should've been more effective than they were, they were just fancy Stormtroopers in this episode.

Also I thought it was funny that Titus came back just to get wrecked again.

Maybe my scaling is just off, but wouldn't mediocre be something like 5/10?

Snafu55 likes this.
  2. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I'm going to 10/10 this one, despite the only minor Kanera -

Saw - unhinged... wow!!!

HOT KALLUS!

Flying through fog -

Could it have been Phasma we heard?

[/spoilers]

3. CloneofVader

CloneofVader Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 5, 2016
    In this case mediocre - ordinary, not extraordinary or special. It was decent episode after all ...

p.s. I hope that wasn't some minor bait from you Mando...[face_batting]

4. JH24

JH24 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 19, 2017
    Better than the premiere for me personally. I especially liked the third episode. Fourth not as much. No idea how to rate this one yet.

+ Nice interactions between characters
    + Some very nice dialogue.
    + I liked seeing Saw again. Also liked how Ezra and Saw were still on some relatively friendly terms near the end. They both see things differently, but they respect each other's ways.
    - Death Troopers in action. Or should I say inaction? Man, what a waste. They are supposed to be Elites. Yet they were defeated as easily as Storm Troopers. Why use them when you humiliate them like this?
    - Another Empire defeat. A Light Cruiser and another Star Destroyer blown up. That's another 20-30.000 deaths at least? We know how strong the Empire will be in the trilogy, but all these losses are getting ridiculous. It should feel as a special victory to the rebels. Now it's just becoming a routine every new episode. "How many Imperials will die this week? Place your bets."
    - These infiltrations are getting old. Honestly. It only makes the Empire come across as incompetent.

SilentGuy66 and Vana like this.
  5. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I don't think Death Troopers are supposed to be elites, they're just security guards for people related to Imperial research

6. Sandtrooper956

Sandtrooper956 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2015
    Hey just wondering where are y'all watching part 2?

7. MandoArtist

Nov 12, 2015
    It's not bait. It's just I often see people giving a lot of critique for certain things yet still give rather high scores. Not just for episodes of Rebels, but for anything it can be applied.

8. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    One minor issue that bothered me far more than it should was during Saw's transmission to Yavin - his head was clearly shown outside of the "cone" of the droid's holoprojector, yet it didn't get cut off (Best seen during the profile shots about nine minutes into Part One)

I see Saw has discovered Emperor Palpatine's hologram setting as well
    Good on him

9. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    For me (Comtrash) both episodes are already 'On Demand' as I subscribe to Disney XD

10. MandoArtist

Nov 12, 2015
    I just noticed that Hera is actually wearing her season 1-2 outfit in this episode.

11. Vinylshadow

Sep 3, 2017
    "Pretend you're still prisoners."
    "We are still prisoners!"

[To Chopper] "Thank you, you're a very kind little droid."
    *facepalms*

Only Rebels could turn an episode with Death Troopers into a comedy...

Eh, still quite enjoyable though

Also,
    How on earth did Saw get the Kyber Crystal to the Engine room?! It' never fit through the doors.

Alpha-Red and MrDarth0 like this.
  12. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Love, love, love this moment - Image:

[​IMG]

Pain and Suffering likes this.
  13. JH24

JH24 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 19, 2017
    You're right. They function as bodyguards and security detail. But I also read (but that could be wrong) they specialized in Commando missions, were considered Elite Storm Troopers, and far exceeded traditional Trooper standards.

Given their menacing armor and appearance, I guess I just expected more from them. Like for example Ezra and the others being hunted in the corridors of the cargo ship. Instead, it was the other way around.

Snafu55 likes this.
  14. DARTH_small_paw

DARTH_small_paw Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2012
    Pretty good arc. I especially enjoyed seeing the Ghost crew and Rex is on Yavin IV and then Kanan assisting Hera's flying was fun. They Kyber crystal reminded me of the old Crystal Crisis on Utapau unfinished episode of The Clone Wars. Seeing Ezra and Kanan mediate was nice too; I've been missing the Jedi training. Lastly, the Death Troopers not having their signature distorted voices... WHY NOT?! It made them so much less cool in these episodes. It seems like they could've been more creative with the dialogue and communicated what was being said without losing the garbled Death Trooper chatter. 7/10

15. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Been away for a bit, and coming back to Rebels, there's not a whole lot to grab my attention again unfortunately.
    I already hate what they did with death troopers here--we barely had any of the distinctive electronic-garble talk that made them distinctive--and these elite troops apparently don't have motion trackers, IF senses, or anything to prevent them from being bowled over like regular stormtroopers. It's beyond old by now. Also, yet another Star Destroyer blown up by overcharging a big critical thing so soon? Knocking them out felt like a big deal for the rebellion at Scarif that sealed them as a threat to the Imperial navy, here, they do it all the time, so who cares!

I've noticed they've really started loving that stun setting.

SilentGuy66 and JH24 like this.
  16. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I mean yeah, it may have said that in a source book or something, but in reality if the Empire had these unstoppable badasses they would've been dispatched on all the missions of the original trilogy

17. MandoArtist

Nov 12, 2015
    Yeah, ultimately we have to consider that these guys weren't anywhere in the OT

18. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    The only one I can really think of that'd need them is Hoth, and for all we know they were indeed there helping overtake other parts of Echo Base. Endor, all the Imperial forces needed to do was surround and round up the rebel cadre, which would've gone off without a hitch had there not been native problems. Storming Tantive IV? Regular troopers did that fine.

And hell, the new Battlefront seems to confirm that there were indeed Imperial elites in the background of at least one major OT engagement...

19. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Fun episodes, Saw is an interesting character and I feel the relationships between the characters were the highlight. It was interesting to see the Ghost crew getting frustrated with small time missions. Even Hera, which seemed odd considering she's usually the most level headed of the group. I think it would have come across better if we had actually seen the mission she was on, and had more time to comprehend the emotional impact it left on her.

Another strange bit was when Saw actually stunned those Storm Troopers. It's a minor thing, but he doesn't really seem like the 'let the enemy live if possible' type. Of course it makes sense that he only stunned Sabine and Ezra, they weren't his targets after all. He's got some nasty mood swings. What did the empire do to Onderon that has him so on edge I wonder? The way he phrased it seemed to indicate it was more than a simple occupation, and he said he could never go back.

Question, did that Ithorian woman speak through a translator? I didn't see one, which surprised me as up until now they had been following the old EU's standard that it was impossible for them to speak basic naturally. This could be the first time they had one speak it without aid.

These are all minor nitpicks of course. I very much enjoyed the episode, it felt more like the beginning of a story so I'm not shocked or dismayed that this wasn't a 10 for me. More like an 8 or 9. This was definitely a well constructed, even above average episode. I look forward to them building up the suspense from here, and I'm sure the climax of this season will be amazing.

20. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    There were some good things in these latest 2 episodes, but the broad problems remain. I know it's foolhardy to expect a tone shift but the show seems to be doubling down on making the Empire look Wilee Coyote feable.

Also, with two Jedi running around doing missions for her, the impact of Mon Mothma asking for a Jedi in Rogue One is rather diminished.

21. Vinylshadow

Sep 3, 2017
    Visually, these two episodes were fantastic. The interior lighting on Yavin IV was stunning and the explosions were gorgeous.

cwustudent and Guidman like this.
  22. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015

In the Rogue One Ultimate Visual Guide, the Death troopers are indeed described as the special forces of the Empire. They are supposed to be the best of the best from the Stormtrooper Corps, with superior armour and weaponry, and with cybernetic implants as well. They are used for variety of missions, including guard duty for important high ranking Imperials (Krennic, Thrawn) and as we saw in these episodes, for guard duty of important cargo as well. When they were making Rogue One, Gareth Edwards described them as the Imperial version of SAS (British special forces).

So it was rather disappointing to see them taken down so easily. Sure they went against a Jedi Padawan, a fanatical rebel and the most skilled Mandalorian warrior we saw in the new canon so far, but they could still have pulled more of a fight. Also the fact their communication wasn't scrambled was rather disappointing, but on the other hand, I liked that the commanding Death trooper was a female.

But overall, I really liked these episodes. If all the episodes of Rebels were this good, I would be one happy viewer. The Ezra and Chopper jokes weren't that annoying and there weren't that many of them. And I loved seeing Yavin IV and the U-wing! Plus we got the freighter and the new space station. I also loved Forest Whitaker as Saw in these episodes, thou I still wish they would show us how he got injured and lost his leg, but that's probably too graphic for this show. Same with the prisoners, it would have helped these episodes so much, if at least some of them got killed during the ejection of the escape pods inside hyperspace. It would have raised the tension and helped the story immensely in my opinion. Also Mon Mothma working with Jedi this close to Rogue One and ANH really takes away from Luke being special to the Rebellion, but perhaps that's what the Story Group is trying to tell us, considering that in the Marvel comic series, Leia even threatened to send Luke back to Tatooine if he wouldn't do what she wanted. Empire loosing another Imperial-class Star Destroyer just after loosing the one on Mandalore is also taking away from the fact these ships are supposed to be really powerful and feared, and taking down just one is supposed to be a very rare thing. But the action was good, Kanan and Hera were good as always, and we also got small parts from Rex, Zeb and Kallus.

It also looks like the final season will be Ezra and Sabine show equally. Guess the creators finally realized they should have made Sabine the main character along Ezra.

cwustudent, MandoArtist and JH24 like this.
  23. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Two Tubes has an amazing laugh.

This episode was great, though Im disappointed Ezra didnt collect a Death Trooper helmet.

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

Not likely:

according to the Captain Phasma novel, the First Order had had quite some time building up in the Unknown Regions. According to a recent interview by the author - one of the young kids with Sloane, at the end of Aftermath: Empire's End, is the Captain Cardinal of the novel - who was the primary trainer of First Order stormtroopers before Phasma showed up - and was relegated to training youngsters while Phasma trained adults, once Phasma had completed her training and risen through the ranks for a while.

Phasma was a resident of a world in the Unknown Regions, Brendol Hux (Armitage Hux's father) crashed on her world along with a few troopers - she helped keep him alive on that hazardous world - and in return, he offered her a chance to join the First Order as a stormtrooper trainee.

Several years lapse between Empire's End, and Phasma's first contact with the First Order - enough time for a boy to grow to be a man, and gain enough experience to become the senior training officer.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  25. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Not likely:

[/quote]

Gotcha - still -
    a female commander! [face_love]

Iron_lord and Sandtrooper956 like this.
  26. MandoArtist

Nov 12, 2015
    Strange how we've never seen or heard a female Stormtrooper yet, even though it's been established that women also filled the white suits.