main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels- missed opportunities

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Swashbucklingjedi, Mar 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Luke is not much more mature when he is taken to the Emperor. Luke is 23, Ezra was 19. Yoda gave Luke a crash course. Ezra had 5 years under Kanan (also Ahsoka occasionally) and Ezra knew full well the danger he stood upon. The last time he trusted a darksider his master was blinded. Dume warned him that the Lothal Temple constituted danger. He had enough not to give in to Sheev's temptations.
    Yoda wanted Luke to confront Vader, not the Emperor. Luke never intended to make his way to the Emperor's throne room. Luke was a naive idealist - he was set on turning his father away from the dark side on Endor, but he miscalculated and Vader brought him before the Emperor. That's one of the great things about Luke, he is faced with a more difficult test than Yoda intended, and Luke finds his own answer.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    Khalia Octa likes this.
  2. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    I felt that Palpatine temptation scene in FR&F was pretty redundant, actually. Ezra had already passed that test in WbW.

Vialco and Darth_Accipiter like this.
  3. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I liked the show in a general sense, but I have to admit I agree with a lot of your criticisms, here. Not all of them, necessarily. But a good amount. And there are other grievances I had with the series; things you didn't mention (some of which drove me right up the wall).

But as I say, I enjoyed Rebels well enough (in a light fare kind of way, I suppose). I was already sold on both Kanan and Hera from A New Dawn, so provided the show didn't drastically alter their characterizations from the novel, they would have already had me for that much, at the very least. And I did come around to caring about a few of the other new characters. There were some stories I rather fancy.

Looking back now, I'm glad that we were able to have the show. Happier than if it hadn't come to fruition.

That might be me damning the series with faint praise, but it is what it is.

Missed opportunities? Oh, yes. Yes, indeed. [face_sigh]

Bor Mullet and Blackhole E Snoke like this.
  4. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    The biggest for me was Ezra's dark turn and his relationship with Maul. By having Maul blind Kanan, the series really never had the chance for the whole "angel and devil on shoulder" dynamic of Maul vs Kanan as mentors so the whole thing seemed pointless. Because why would Ezra trust Maul after he did that? They really should have had a slower build up with Maul being a sketchy ally throughout season 3 and Ezra actually having to choose between the advice of the two mentors. Or maybe have a similar dynamic with Hera vs Saw or something.

5. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    Having rewatched a fair bit of Season 3, I noticed Ezra was still exceptionally prone to getting angry and lashing out at people

Sure, he's not being influenced by Maul or the Sith Holocron, but he didn't immediately go back to being a goofball, so I don't think they instantly introduced and dismissed the whole Dark Side Ezra thing as quickly as people think they did

6. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016
    I only have small gripes

The Empire never retaliated against Lothal? Really? It's not like Lothal was liberated right before the Battle of Endor.

As much as I love the character Vader should've killed Ahsoka. Saving her via time warp dimension was interesting but seeing her fail to reach Anakin and him causing her demise would've been better in my opinion.