main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Rebuttal: RLM's Attack of the Clones Review

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Luukeskywalker, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    AOTC is my second favorite prequel film just behind TPM. I just love the sense of mystery about it where nothing is as it seems and no ones true intentions are quite clear. Watching it I get the same feeling the Jedi must be feeling that the dark side clouds everything. From the very first scene (the brilliant fog shrouded skyline sets the perfect tone for the entire movie) we don't have the full picture of what's going on and there's just this tragic sense of inevitability like all the characters are heading full steam toward the edge of a cliff and by the end of the film they've all fallen off. I love that Yoda seems to be the only one who understands just how far they've fallen and is truly sadden that no one else senses it. Yeah, I adore this film. :D

2. SweetZombieJesus

SweetZombieJesus Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2013
    Actually, since storytelling is a human artform that has been perfected over the course of more than 5,000 years, it is quite easy to point out a fundamentally flawed story that does not adhere to time-honored storytelling rules. Meet the PT.

It's fine to like a bad film/story, or to not like a good film/story. THAT is opinion. But it's pretty easy to point out when a story is just plain bad.

Powerful Lord likes this.
  3. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    Ah, so you get to decide what is a good film/story. Thanks for the heads up. I was always under the impression that all art forms and their quality was subjective. There was a time when paintings had to be realistic and there couldn't be anything abstract about them. At that time, that was what was considered to be good art.

Good thing fellas like Van Gogh didn't listen to that tripe.

As far as storytelling and writing is concerned, I think Virginia Woolf is crap and I don't care for stream of consciousness writing. That doesn't mean it's bad. It just means that I don't care for it, even though it's obvious plenty of others do.

4. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    Sounds more like your opinion to me. When I watch the PT, I see a good story being presented. A much better story than what we get in movies today.

5. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    This is fun. Who is the everyman of the PT?

6. SweetZombieJesus

Apr 12, 2013

7. SweetZombieJesus

Apr 12, 2013
    Or you don't know the basics of good storytelling and you just inhale whatever pap is thrown your way, uncritically. I'm sure there are people who think Michael Bay's Transformers films are epic and have good stories, too.

8. JoshieHewls

May 16, 2013
    No, I didn't miss anything. You appeared to miss my point though that art, which includes storytelling, is ever evolving. There is no one way to tell a story.

My, how...condescending of you. Just because you don't like how the story was told in the prequels doesn't make your stance on storytelling a fact. I love how you draw a line of "This is right" and "This is wrong" on something that comes down to subjective opinion. It's cute.

Would you like it if I told you that you were wrong for hating the PT and that you were ignorant for thinking otherwise? You wouldn't? Didn't think so. You know why I don't tell anyone that hates the prequels that? It's simple. Because I respect their opinion. Those movies didn't do it for them. Fine. I got enjoyment out of them and I think they're brilliant. But my opinion should be no less valid than yours and vice versa.

9. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I wouldn't try to reason with someone who can't see past their own opinion and respect others. It's hopeless. :)

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Storytelling is a subjective art, not a math problem or a science experiment.

11. JoshieHewls

May 16, 2013
    *Sigh* Will do. I enjoy constructive conversations with those who have opposing viewpoints. That in itself is interesting. Not this, "You like bad movies so you must be a drooling buffoon who doesn't criticize anything he sees" crap.

12. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Exactly. I've had plenty of intelligent conversations on these boards with people who have opposing views but once someone starts telling me I'm wrong for thinking the way I do I try my hardest to ignore them. I don't always succeed but I try. :p

13. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    One thread gets locked, so another gets revived? Makes sense.

What is to be accomplished by constant complaining using the same opinion-based arguments?

14. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Apparently, nothing.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.