main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Recommendations for the best Star Trek film?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by TheBoogieMan, May 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, '02, about a week before The Two Towers hit (Brilliant Paranount Moves to Kill a Franchise #3 ;) ).

I don't think the E is "souless"- we do have a lesser exposure to it than the D for obvious reasons, but I think we got to know her pretty decently in FC between her early battle debut and most of the movie's remainder set aboard (and outside) of her.

She did get to do a couple unique things in Insurrection (the use of the ram scoops come to mind), even if the horridness of the rest of the movie may dillute such things from viewers trying to intentionally block it from memory ;)

And in Nemesis we not only saw the punch she packed like we saw in FC, but we also saw how tough she was and how she performed in one of the best tactical Trek battles (though the latter isn't necessarily something absolutely unique to her, the experience does add character, IMO).

2. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    So riddle me this:

01 goes boom...A is brought in...an instantly wins over fans...perhaps the only redeeming part of Final Frontier...and they did those sets on a SHOESTRING budget!

Yet there isn't that for the E...at least I don't think there is.

I don't know...I'm not nearly as versed in trek as I was a decade ago...perhaps there is more support for the E...but I personally thought the A...with less screen time, managed to nail whatever the E misses.

Do the A and the E compare?

(wow, what a bizarre question.)

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think it's much of a fair comparison- the A looks almost exactly like the 01 Refit. Audiences just carried over whatever attachment they had for the 01 Refit to the A. The E was a completely new ship design. If the E had been a Galaxy-class like the D was*, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.
    In fact, I think that exposes what this conversation is really about- it's not about the 01, the A, D or E, it's about the Constitution, the Galaxy and the Sovereign-class and how those ship designs have endeared or not.

*EDIT- Ha- looking it up now, it turns out that was what was assumed was going to happen after Generations, as ILM actually modified the D shooting model to say E to save themselves time for the next movie, hehe.

[image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/a/a1/Galaxy_class_enterprise-e.png]

4. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

My Trek knowledge begins and ends with First Contact, Insurrestion and Nemesis -- the last 3 movies. Saw the first two on TV, was average. Saw Nemesis at the cinema, my very first Trek movie, and it blew me away. Great battle finale!

5. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    If you like great battle finales, go rent The Wrath of Khan right now. But also rent III and IV, because they make up a loose trilogy. III has some slow parts, but IV is pure fun.

Then rent VI.

6. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    II,III,IV,VI and FC are, hands down, the best of the ten Trek films that have been made so far. I will admit that I enjoyed Nemisis, but add that it doesn't hold a candle to First Contact, Wrath of Khan or The Undiscovered Country, all three of which exist, not only as great Trek films, but great sci-fi in general.

7. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    I love Undiscovered Contry that has to be my favorite, but I like Wrath of Khan too. I think that they may be the best of the original cast. I liked Insurrection too. My husband believes First Contact is the best, but I won't agree because he can't ever be right! Any one is just a good watch though.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: The Director's Edition
    Admiral James T. Kirk faces his greatest challenge yet. Suffering through doubts about his place in the galaxy, he is thrust into action once more against his most bitter foe?Khan Noonien Singh, who has escaped his exile on Ceti Alpha V and now seeks revenge on Kirk. With a powerful new device in the wrong hands, and a no-win scenario in play, the cost of victory for the Starship Enterprise may prove too high.

T2Q Comments: The movie opens with a caption: "In the 23rd Century..", I wonder if this was an attempt to coin an equivilent to "A Long Time Ago..."?; I like how the training mission comes across as almost a perfect cliche or parody of Star Trek, apitimized by the cheesey "shilds collapsing, captain!" actor with his turning delivery; We also have Shatner's ego entering the movie before Shatner does.; "Galloping around the universe is a game for the young" "Now what is that supposed to mean?" Ah, yes, shallow Uhura returns.

Kirk getting his command back seems a bit of a repetitive plot element from the first movie, though it seems to have a heavier and less greedy weight to it here; probably good to note that the Reliant is, I believe, the first non-Constituion class Federation starship we've seen outside of transports and shuttles.

Paul Winfield plays a Starfleet officer in this movie, he would later portray an Earthforce officer on Babylon 5, which also featured Walter Koeing, whom he is beside in TWOK, as Bester (though not in the same episode).

Khan has awesome gloves.

Pity we dont see the sandgear costumes more. Burrowing bugs into the ear is very horrorish, more so than we've seen in Trek before. A lot of reused dock leaving shots from first movie- ship lacks blue deflector until 3 shots out. And, yeah. Kristie Aley was smokin' in this flick. Genesis sequence still pretty effective FX work even 25 years later.

Though positioned to be a shock, having Scotty carry a dead body onto the bridge seems a little much, when presumably it would be faster and more logical to carry him to sickbay.

Spock: "Jim, be careful." Bones: "WE will." [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

...and we come to the most iconic scene- the "buried alive" conversation resulting in KHAAAAN! The only flaw here, and it's one that's really nagged me about this movie as much as I love it, is that Kirk knew the Enterprise would be back to beam them away, so he knew he wasn't stranded there or that Khan had beted him- this, one of the more emotional and desperate outcrys by Kirk in the entire franchise, let alone a film-definining one, wasn't actually genuine and was, at best, an act, at worst an outburst of rage that shouldn't have been there given what Kirk knew he had planned.

Great submarine-like tactical battle, more sub-to-sub than the depth-charge parable of Balance of Terror. Great end to a villain as well- "From hell's heart, I stab at thee. For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee.". And he gets to die believing he won, which is awesome.

Spock's death I imagine was a shocker back then, but it's executed very organicly within the story's narative, so it really works well- and remain effective since they didn't tack on any ending tease hinting at Spock's return (like the toredo casket opening up, for example).

In the end, no surprise, this one is absolutely essential. And the best part? you don't have to watch the first movie to use this one as a jumping-on point. :D

[image=http://echosphere.net/star_trek_insp/insp_kobayashi_preview.jpg] [image=http://echosphere.net/star_trek_insp/insp_revenge_preview.jpg] [image=http://echosphere.net/star_trek_insp/insp_khan_preview.jpg]

"Remember." Up next: Star Trek III: The Search For Spock (OMG, spoiler alert! :p )

9. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    For me, this is an easy one:

"The Motion Picture" ....... all the way

A visually, aurally, intellectually, emotionally and spiritually sublime movie. Not a perfect movie in my eyes nor an imperfectly perfect movie, but the best thing that "Star Trek" has ever contributed to cinema -- and maybe even to itself.

After that, I think it's probably II. Then you can more or less take your pick. I and II should be seen by everyone. IV is a personal treat of mine ... and it may be the most "casual viewer" friendly (though I still recommend I and II above it for other, deeper reasons).

10. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Agreed. Ramming Shinzon's ship was a bold move, but it paid off and demonstrated the Sovriegn class's durability, which is considerable. Even with a good third of the saucer gone, Picard still had a functional starship. VERY impressive.

11. henchman24

henchman24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2008
    Undiscovered Country has all of the elements that make Trek wonderful, and weaves these elements together flawlessly. For a franchise with so much quality and history to have its final voyage be its best, is pretty amazing. While I always enjoy any Trek film, I feel this is the one that a long time fan should own(being limited to only 1), and this is the one I would use to convert a newcomer into a Trekkie.

Kirk referencing Peter Pan at the end is one of the coolest and most fitting lines I have ever seen in film.

12. PetraKenobi

PetraKenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    I've never seen any of the movies sadly. :( but I plan on it fairly soon.

13. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Agreed. Spock's final line in TUC is one of his funniest and he had some great ones in TVH, so that's saying something.

"If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'Go to hell.'"

As for converting people, if I didn't use TUC, I would use First Contact, which is also an extremely solid, well made and FUN Star Trek movie.

14. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    The motionless picture seems like too much of a set-up movie for me.

Its very 'look, heres whats been happening since you left us after season three, heres the new ship. Its not working properly, the crew get reformed, the ship works now, oh look a wormhole, oh wait the wormhole didnt have anything to do with the story, oh look v,ger, omg its really ....... enterprise saves the day.

Its like a longer episode of TOS (like Insurrection was for TNG) and just sets up the 'movie universe' for the other films. That said the effects are great and v'ger is a very interesting 'thing' to have in a movie. Plus its still better than Final Frontier.

Wrath of Khan, UC and FC FTW!

15. PetraKenobi

Feb 18, 2008
    ooh, I have finally seen five of the ten films. (Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock, Voyage Home, Final Frontier, and Generations)

I have enjoyed them all except for the language; especially in Search for Spock and Generations; and the finger in Voyage Home was something not needed but the films are okay. I think I'll stick with the series overall though. I'm still working my way through all the films.

16. DewbackRider88

Nov 11, 2004
    Language? You mean the PG swearing lol Hardly cause enough to think even slightly less of the films.

Plus star trek would be much more realistic (so would anything else) with a bit more colourful language.

17. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Agreed. The occaisonal "hell" or "damn" isn't even really swearing anyway.

18. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    Kirk does use Reverend Wright's favorite phase on a couple of occasions in the movie series. Some are offended by the combination of those two words.

I'm not, but some are.

19. DewbackRider88

Nov 11, 2004
    Well data drops a S bomb in generations, and Riker says the word that best describes children of unhonourable birth in insurrection (so does kirk in ST:3)

But yeah, hardly cause to get the FCC in lol

20. PetraKenobi

Feb 18, 2008
    I can handle "hell" and "damn" even though I don't use them myself; it's the repeated use, and it gets to the point of being ridiculous, of bas**** and the s bomb. One use of it is plenty; but I still prefer series over movies, except that Insurrection was really good; I enjoyed that one more than the others because it didn't have so much language. and it had more Troi\Riker in it.

yeah, I don't curse and I don't find it attractive; i see it as laziness and\or ignorance of finding better words to use. I prefer the TOS cast in the series; and I find it strange that i like Picard's crew a lot better in the movies instead of the series.

21. DewbackRider88

Nov 11, 2004
    It isnt repeatedly used in Star Trek, thats why it is really odd and dosnt work, because its the sudden and strange 'oh, data swore...weird'

Once per film is the usual for Trek, except First Contact where we have people from Earth's past swearing (as a lot of people do)

And if its the 'laziness' argument your coming at us with, think of how many different swear words there are for te same thing, and how many combinations and phrases can be made up with them.

You dont like swearing, fine. Some uses arnt nice. But it is just vibrations in the air that for some reason have been deemed to be generally offensive.

22. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    "Ah smeg! what the smeggin' smeg's he smeggin' done? He's smeggin' killed me!"
    The sentance that uses almost all the conceivable combinations of 'smeg'

as for cursing in Trek, no it doesn't fit. It takes me out of trek-world, reminds me of the "real" world, and ruins my suspension of disbelief.

That & I didn't like the movies with the cursing anyway (for completely different reasons.

23. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    And the swearing in The Voyage Home was there for comical effect.

"Well, double dumbass on you!"

24. PetraKenobi

Feb 18, 2008
    ha, yeah. it's like Scotty playing the bagpipes in Trek II; that was just too much like real-life, and I can understand it being part of Scotty's heritage; but seriously: bagpipes and Amazing grace in Star Trek???!!!! doesn't go. and First contact I could understandn since it was nearly modern times.

saw Insurrection and Nemesis the other night. both were really good.

25. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    The last few of the Next Gen movies were pretty much extended episodes that they did. Don't get me wrong, I still liked them, it's just that they seemed almost like episode quality if you catch my meaning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.