main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Red Dawn, and the "Red 80's"

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by sith_rising, Jan 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I was in 4th or 5th grade when it came out. My dad took me and my brother to see it opening night, and I still remember it. There were a bunch of drunk soldiers at the Galaxy theater in San Antonio, and they would flip out every time a commie bought the farm, especially when the US helicopter strafed the Russian roadblock at the beginning. My best friends and I immediately drew up a plan for how we (kids in elementary) could hide out in the drainage tunnels behind HEB, steal a stockpile of RPGs and hand grenades, and go toe-to-toe with Soviet special forces troops should the US ever be invaded. We even packed survival packs, included those cheasy mail-order knives that had fishing wire and matches in the handle.

Nowadays, most view the movie as highly unlikely reactionary right-wing propaganda, which it probably is, but I loved the movie and still enjoy watching it. In fact, I loved all the great Cold War movies: Rocky IV, Rambo's 2 and 3, Red Scorpion, Red October, Red Heat, Firefox and all the great Golan Globus Vietnam/POW/Ninja flicks. What's everyone's take on it?

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Amerika!

3. TARKINS_FOUL_STENCH

TARKINS_FOUL_STENCH Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2005
    WOLVERINES!!!!

4. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    Easily the most realistic movie ever.

5. darthtenbiscuits

darthtenbiscuits Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 7, 2001
    It's interesting how people view this as a "red scare" film when that wasn't even the primary focus of the movie. The movie actually began it's life as a screenplay very similar to Lord of the Flies. John Millius himself has declared openly to being quite liberal and was inspired to make this film after reading about teenagers in Afganistan fighting against the Soviet Military in the early 80's. He said the goal of this film was to place American teens in a similar situation and have that type of war being faught on American soil. The fact that Soviet Russia along with latin American countries were the main antagonist was historically incidental to create shock value with the American audience it was intended for.

As a kid I was very drawn to the militaristic boy scout fantasy it plays out. It's interesting how a movie like this can be looked at from so many different ways and have different audiences latch onto different aspects. I think this movie is misunderstood and underappreciated for the most part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.