main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Redundant, Counter-Productive Speculation Time Is Over: "The Star Wars" Announced

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Feb 11, 2013.

1. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I just hope they have an endgame planned in case Marvel comes to the doorstep.

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Betchya Marvel's peering through the back window right now. Waiting. Watching.

3. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Marvel's planning their own invasion arc right now!

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  4. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Better yet, Marvel will finally be the ones to bring us the long awaited answer to the question we've been asking for decades: just how the hell did the Rebels get their hands on the Death Star plans?

5. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I'm more interested on their take with the Battle of Hoth. That's an area that is criminally under-represented in Star Wars.

6. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Maybe we'll finally get a video game based around the Battle of Hoth. The battles cool, but I've always wanted to actually play it.

7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    After 33 years

8. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    A video game? You're setting your sights too low. Maybe it'll be the next multi-media project. One of the standalone movies could tackle it. And along with it we get adaptations in the form of a videogame, a novel, and a comic mini. It's a gold mine!

cdgodin, Zorrixor and darklordoftech like this.
  9. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I hate coffee! What's wrong with being positive about something I enjoy? Star Wars is escapism. I know there aren't a ton of issues of Dawn of the Jedi but it's still a great series showing ancient Jedi history which is an ideal topic for me. TCW has been canceled but I still got a solid five seasons and more to come, whereas I spent years wishing there was a show like that when there wasn't. I don't need to see the ST, its mere existence is a major deal. All these things are Star Wars dreams-come-true for me, just like this new comic based on Lucas' first complete draft of The Star Wars and McQuarrie's first character designs.

Nice catch, but the comic is going to be based on the first complete draft of The Star Wars. What you're referring to with Mace Windy is simply a one- or two-page synopsis or "story treatment" that was actually titled Journal of the Whills, Part I which you can read on Wookieepedia. There were other notes and outlines along the way as well, but the basis of this comic book is going to be the first complete movie script draft which was called The Star Wars.

Kyle Katarn stole them in Dark Forces.

It says the first complete draft of The Star Wars, that's pretty specific, you can read the draft if you want here:

http://www.scifiscripts.com/scripts/swd1_5-74.txt

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  10. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I fail to see why "hardcore film buffs" would really be interested in someone elses take of a script they can already read.

I'm sure there will be people interested in this of course but I'm just not seeing specifically fans of the films flocking down to their local comic shop for the first time to suddenly get a look at this little bit of history. If they were not going to a comic shop before I doubt they are going to make an exception for this. Its kinda like using the logic of making a comic book for people who are not comic book fans, it really doesn't compute for me.

Just because I find myself wondering, with all that has been made of the new Brian Wood series and how it doesn't apply to the EU in the standard way, how are sales of that title going? Is it blowing every other Star Wars title Dark Horse has even produced away in overall sales? Or is it more or less on par with some of the other series?

_Catherine_ likes this.
  11. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    So did these guys :p

12. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    We all know Ahsoka is going to be revealed to be the one who really stole them.

cdgodin and darklordoftech like this.
  13. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    The Wood series sold 39,663 copies of issue #1. I thought it would be cut in half by issue 2. Didn't happen. Issue #2 sold 46,063 copies in February. Dark Times Fire Carrier #1 sold 14,308 in February, DOTJ Prisoner of Bogan #3 sold 14,145 issues in February. Agent of the Empire Hard Targets #5 sold 11,103 issues.

As for The Star Wars, I guess I don't see hardcore film buffs being overly interested. I tend to think it will appeal to hardcore comic book readers who happen to like Star Wars movies. That and us hardcore EU fans.

14. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I can see it now, Star Wars NOW!

With titles like Uncanny Star Wars, Superior Star Wars, Savage Star Wars, Avenging Star Wars, Astonishing Star Wars, Star Wars: Force of Thunder, Indestructible K'kruhk, Red She-K'kruhk, Sidious Rising, and not to mention a new Guardians of the Galaxy...about a team of rouge Jedi protecting the galaxy...

Starkeiller, cdgodin, spicer and 2 others like this.
  15. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  16. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I would totally read Indestructible K'krukh.

cdgodin, TrandoJedi and Gorefiend like this.
  17. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, red Jedi, aren't they called Sith? :)

19. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'd say that Star Wood is the equivalent of an Astonishing Star Wars, at least. Still want my Red She-K'krukh's though.

cdgodin and TrandoJedi like this.
  20. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Absolutely, I'm glad about The Star Wars its better that Dark Horse do it, and quite frankly lets be honest. I'd rather have them do all this stuff now cause later on this franchise probably will go in a different direction and projects like this won't be even considered. Right now, I'm just for good news. I'm tired of bad news, cancelled or post poned products. So any release I'm going to look at it positive.

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's basically like seeing a long unproduced script finally be made. That's certainly of interest to a lot of film buffs.

And sure, they can (and have) read the script, but reading the script and experiencing the interpreted product are two very different things.[/quote]

Ulicus and Dark Lord Tarkas like this.
  22. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, because seeking out the script online and reading it is exactly the same thing as seeing a polished visual presentation of it on the shelves at Barnes and Noble. Surely you can see how the thirtysomething Joe Schmo who loves Star Wars, loves the movies, buys Boba Fett statuettes and Darth Vader coffee mugs and books about the making of Star Wars, who can't wait to show his kids the movies and buy them Star Wars LEGOs, but who isn't invested in the EU and doesn't go around buying DOTJ and LOTF, would be interested in dropping twenty dollars on a presentation of the original stories of the films he loves. I'm not claiming it will be some commercial juggernaut, but it would be silly not to acknowledge that this has a broader curb appeal outside the EU niche, to the "endless articles about Yavin" Insider market, the movie collector market, the nerd-dad market, the read-it-in-EW-and-think-"cool" market. You know, the mass of people who feel strongly enough about Star Wars to buy merchandise but not to invest in Jaina and Zayne. Sort of like all the people who love Star Wars enough to come post in a messageboard about it but don't post in Lit.

23. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Marvel is going to call them Reds. Red-Luke, Red-Han, Red-Boba, everyone is going to have a evil Red counterpart.

24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, maybe Disney will hire RockStar to produce Red Jedi Redemption

cdgodin, TrandoJedi and Gorefiend like this.
  25. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    That would be unfathomably awesome.