main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reinstate Darth Sapient Petition Thread

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Lord_NoONE, Mar 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    DarthSapient, frankly, if you submit your private info now JUST TO be a Head Admin again, I think that's very hypocritical/selfish on YOUR part, and you know, to be blunt, I have LESS respect for that! [face_plain]

I hope that's not what you are going to do, you are basically against what you stood for(The accord and principle, and all), just to become a Moderator again.

HOW SHAMEFUL!!!

Unless, we have a Misunderstanding, but I am also (like AYBABTU & couple others last couple days) beginning to Doubt your True motives!

2. ...and justice for MAUL

...and justice for MAUL Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 31, 2000
  3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Now listen carefully. The mods were demoted BEFORE Philip extended the courtesy of discussion regarding his reasons for what he did.

It appears Philip and Sapient have subsequently discussed the issues at hand, and if Sapient is now clear in his mind what is going on and the problems he had with the requests are now resolved, he's got every right to return to modding.

Although the feeling I get from this thread is that if he should return, it would only be in a 3SA mod role, not an admin role.

4. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    Now listen carefully.

The PW supporters haven't listened since the beginning of the thread. They aren't going to start now.

5. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    There is already a new admin. What do we need with one more? 3SA could use him, sure, but why not promote another existing manager to head admin or whathaveyou?

6. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    I understand that, but there is so much questions still.

For example

>It appears Philip and Sapient have subsequently discussed the issues at hand, and if Sapient is now clear in his mind what is going on and the problems he had with the requests are now resolved, he's got every right to return to modding.<

What made him change his mind? Did Mr. Wise apologize to DS, plus gurantee the Private info is safe? And How? And, why hasn't all other demoted mods being contacted in the same manner?

7. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    > What made him change his mind? Did Mr. Wise apologize to DS, plus gurantee the Private info is safe? And How? And, why hasn't all other demoted mods being contacted in the same manner?

Answer to all of the above; "I do not know"

8. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    That's why I am kinda iffy about this whole situation still, and DarthSapient true motives.

Is it truly about to be resolved, or it's resolved for him Only?

It appears that what AYBABTU said earlier actually have some point -

There isn't much principle involved in making a "principled" stand only to cave into those disputed demands when you don't get your way. If you submit your info now, Sape, and take your position back, it will hurt your standing here in the long run. It shows that this isn't about "saving the JC" as you have claimed, but it's about saving your own position...

Indeed, you have just confirmed that it's no longer about saving the JC, but about saving your own skin. Not classy at all.

9. Darth-Walken

Darth-Walken Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    Sapient is a man of his word. I trust him. He won't back down.

10. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I'm a man of my word, love the site, and when I sign on again it's because my concerns have been alleviated. The site's not going anywhere.

11. DarthVegas

DarthVegas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 18, 2000
    Well the point has been totally lost.

This was an issue of privacy and the respect thereof.

But whatever.

You must do what you feel is right, of course.

To Darth Sapient I say, stick with what you believe in. If you wish to retract what you said earlier because you wish to be head boy again, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If you wish to be head boy again because you made a mistake, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If you misunderstood what was said by an unresponsible Philip Wise and wish to become head boy again, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

You get my point. The choice is yours.

To KnightWriter: You will be missed. Even if you did ban me, I know a good mod when I see when. And as a novelist I have a soft spot for writers.

To Dark Lady Mara, had a crush on you since to beginning. I don't really know why, I guess it was your name. But your legacy will be missed.

Peace to all who have fallen. You'll hear no more from me on this subject.

Try not to applaud to loudly on hearing that last one. [face_plain]

12. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Is that Darth Walken I see posting?

Why yes.. yes it is!

*pounce*

13. Darth-Walken

Darth-Walken Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    LOL [face_laugh]

Good to see you my young Jedi friend ! :) The old place ain't what it used to be.

14. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Since the demotions, Philip has been in much closer contact with the MS and many of the demoted moderators. He has apologized for his poor handling of the situation and better explained his reasoning. This actually resolves many of the concerns that many of us had about the issue.

I know I said I wasn't going to turn into a bitter ex-mod and all that, but I'm afraid I have to disagree with this statement. As several people mentioned earlier, the reason large numbers of mods turned over due to this situation wasn't that we were on some sort of crusade. Different individuals had different complaints about the situation. I resigned after I'd seen some of the posts Wise made in the Mod Squad because it became clear to me then his apology was of questionable sincerity and definitely not very complete. I don't care one way or another if my address is in a database. Heck, if some troll wants to stalk me over to my house, let them try. [face_devil] Plain and simple, I turned in my resignation because I have concerns about the way the owner has handled things here and because I don't want to have to defend his actions in the future. I've always tried to make member-mod relations better, and if the owner continues to make decisions that threaten this cardinal value of mine in the future, I won't be willing to come out in Comms and have to pretend I think his ideas are brilliant.

The JC means as much as it always did to me. I think it's clear to most everyone by now that I'm a member who simply refuses to die. ;) I suspect I'll still be here posting until the day they close the doors, and I won't even try to predict what my role here will be when that day comes. It's just that I care more about the community and the people at this site than I do about the administration of it per se. Right now I'd like to continue helping build community here and making great friends, but I'm afraid I'll be doing it from the outside for now because I'm starting to fear that goal is no longer valued on the inside.

Oh dear. I hope I haven't been ranting. I think my point is those of us who chose to resign all did so for slightly different reasons, and although I hope those of us who chose to leave can still be friends, we will probably also all go in somewhat different directions now. No one of us is qualified to speak for what our collective feelings on the Philip Wise situation were and what (if anything) would be adequate to convince us to return to moderating.

Oh.... and thank you very much, DarthVegas. [face_blush] I really appreciate the kind words.

15. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    > Since the demotions, Philip has been in much closer contact with the MS and many of the demoted moderators.

And similarly to DLM's wonderful post above, I'm not aware of any demoted mods whom Philip has been in much closer contact with. Except possibly Sapient - and I believe that Sapient initiated that conversation.

> He has apologized for his poor handling of the situation and better explained his reasoning. This actually resolves many of the concerns that many of us had about the issue.

And yet he only offered this apology and better reasoning to those very mods who did not have much of an issue (if any) with meeting his demands in the first place. Preaching to the converted, as it were.

16. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Preaching to the choir, I would say. ;)

I just wish he and Josh would post in Comm. to let us know what is going on and why it went so bad so quickly. I think they've been too quiet and Wise's thread was barely more than a thin excuse for why we'd see mods being demoted. It didn't explain or help us to really understand.

17. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I agree. I wish Josh especially had given us his thoughts on what was going on here. I've always thought that he, as a fellow fan, was pretty interested in the well-being of the boards.

18. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    > Preaching to the choir, I would say

Meh.

19. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    I'd like to send a cheerio to our ex-Head Admin, DarthSapient. A man who's only faults in the position were his lack of ability to manage the administration, and his lack of direction for the forums. Small ones I'm sure you'll all agree.

Cheerio, Sape! Hope that you dont need a chiropractor to help you out after all these backflips of yours!

By the by, before you were demoted, I coulda sworn (and by "coulda sworn", I can see exactly what you said) that you said that you would never give your details, because you valued your anonymity. That you didnt want to mix real life with JC life. NOT that you didnt like the method of giving details, but simply that you didnt want to give anything more than the state you live in. Yet now you're going to just give them the details?

Of course. You tried to call Philips bluff, and lost. So you're going to crawl back with your tail between your legs, changing your story so the public will keep their respect for you.

Just be a man. You tried to call the bluff, it didnt work. Move on like a man. Dont try to lie and manipulate to drum up public sympathy to get your fix of attention.

So....shall I find the number for that chiropractor?

20. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    I coulda sworn (and by "coulda sworn", I can see exactly what you said) that you said that you would never give your details, because you valued your anonymity. That you didnt want to mix real life with JC life. NOT that you didnt like the method of giving details, but simply that you didnt want to give anything more than the state you live in. Yet now you're going to just give them the details?

Thanks to a certain darthpsychotic...Dagsy's not the only one who can see that this is indeed what you said. It's pathetic, quite frankly.

I agree with the Dagsministration on this issue.

21. DarthBane420

DarthBane420 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 13, 2003
    It must be noted that my intial re-action to this thread was clearly indicated by my first post in it...
    Date Posted: 3/2 12:59am Subject: RE: Reinstate Darth Sapient Petition Thread

DarthBane 420: A thread for Sapient, but not one for Dark Lady Mara?
    Now that's sad.

In all this chaos much was ignored, including the best post in regards to this entire incident....

1. Over "mod solidarity" and mass demotions/resignations, people have short memories since in the last 3 years I can remember at least 3 separate times when situations with varying degrees of similarity to this has occurred. And at those times, at most only 3-4 mods actually no longer worked for the boards. I'm not saying that this will be the same or not, but it might also do for everyone to remember the childhood tale of "Chicken Little" and refrain from saying that "the sky is falling".

2. Before people start bandying about such wonderfully inflammartory stuff as legal issues, it might do to read up first about laws regarding LLCs and legal responsibilities.

3. A giant thread in Comms isn't really going to solve the issue, and from what I've already read, it's only going to prove to be counter-productive in the long run. This is something that I know from experience will not be sorted here in Comms, and thus you are only going to get yourself frustrated, and likely to have things spill out to elsewhere. If you want to say you support the mods or not, fine, but otherwise, nothing else will be accomplished here. The mods have done what they feel they need to in relation to this, and ultimately it will play out between them and the staff since that is where whatever issues lie. All that will occur is getting yourself and/or mods frustrated, and that can not always lead to agreeable conclusions

To bad this post went largely ignored, even by some of the older and wiser members of the Administration

22. Captain_Sarcasm

Captain_Sarcasm Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2003
    The only thing I'll comment on is about the still demoted mods. If they were given the same facts that Sapes is now privy to, i.e why PW needs the names, how they will be stored in the database, are the other demoted mods going to be told what was those reasons are, and could they come back if they changed their minds?

The only thing that I don't understand about this whole thing is why are the general users of TF.N only clamoring to have Sapes restored? Where's the love for the rest of the group? I'm not seeing threads about restoring their staff positions. Crap like that sucks in my opinion. Sapes wasn't the only good mod. It's not like he walked on water or something.

23. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    I agree with Darth_Dagsy about DarthSapient, unless he can tell us Clearly these things...

What made him change his mind?

Did Mr. Wise apologize to DS, plus gurantee the Private info is safe? And How?

And, why hasn't all other demoted mods being contacted in the same manner? Why just you, DS?

>I sign on again it's because my concerns have been alleviated.<

How? Please share! How?

The public deserves to know the truth!!!

24. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    The only thing that I don't understand about this whole thing is why are the general users of TF.N only clamoring to have Sapes restored? Where's the love for the rest of the group?

I don't know who you are talking about, but it's clearly not me.

If you have read my posts last several days on this matter.

I want All the demoted Mods restored, plus the Rule (Private info) to be get rid off!

25. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    If Philip could e-mail the information that he gave to Sape to the rest of the mods he demoted, it would certainly be appreciated. Since we don't have MS access and all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.