main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reinstate Darth Sapient Petition Thread

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Lord_NoONE, Mar 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBane420

DarthBane420 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 13, 2003
    A thread for Sapient, but not one for Dark Lady Mara?
    Now that's sad.

2. TypoSniper

TypoSniper Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2004
    If you want one for her, make one.

3. Dananka

Dananka Jedi Master star 1

Jan 9, 2004
    I know it won't change anything, but sign me up too.

4. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    Sapes has always come to our rescue; now we come to his. *signs*

5. SHB-JR

SHB-JR Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    Yep,bring back ole' yellow pants

*Spits tobacco into spitoon*

Don't hold with no politics, but if ya ask the ole' man his opinion, he'll give it to ya, ya ken ?

SHB JR

6. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
  7. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I'm a bit upset there's no thread in Comms anymore to discuss this issue in general. Why is that?

8. Darth_Imran

Darth_Imran Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    Sape, you'll be sorely missed. :(

I think the most obvious reason for that would be that there's very little we can do. We support the mods, but unless we work as a larger group, we can't have much affect on this issue (if any affect at all).

9. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I'm a bit upset there's no thread in Comms anymore to discuss this issue in general. Why is that?

KK said in Mischevious' thread that it's time to stop focusing so much on these terrible events, and that "there's work to do." Whatever that means.

My theory: the next "big" thread will be the latest MS update.

10. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I know what was said in the thread. But this whole thing is so sad. It's like watching the place slowly die.

11. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    >I'm a bit upset there's no thread in Comms anymore to discuss this issue in general. Why is that? <

Coward Mods? As a Former Head Admin, it'd be BEST if You tell them they done something wrong! ;)

12. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Actually, if I was still a mod and knowing what I know from what they're telling me, I'd be locking any thread or removing any post that wasn't a celebration of the life and times of Philip Wise.

13. Darth_Imran

May 30, 2002
    From what I've seen, there's very little regular users can do. I'm not sure if Wise even wants to listen to our opinions.

Worse still, the future of the JC isn't looking very nice. This situation is going to leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

14. royalguard96

Aug 13, 2001
    Sape, are you insinuating that people with MS access are sharing MS discussion with you?? [face_shocked]

8-}

15. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    You're not sure? He said he isn't interested in reading the replies.

16. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    There will be more public discussion in this matter (we do have an update due tomorrow), but for now it is mostly being used as an excuse to spam. We are working on a lot of things behind the scenes and so is Josh.

We appreciate the support, but for now the best thing to do is hunker down and try to maintain some form of order.

Kimball Kinnison

17. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Hey, prior to head admin I was the Comms admin. I know what you're saying. But let me just say that this isn't any ordinary drama issue to pop out of an update or something like that. This is unprecedented and I think we need some responsible voices to speak up and do whatever possible to turn things around. I don't agree with this and neither do many mods who left, are still leaving, and even those who remain. It's not what is best for the boards. Me sitting idly by and acting helpless is not in the best interest of the boards. My fear is that stifling the conversation is not the best approach. I'd focus on the individual spam posts and offenders rather than sacrificing the thread itself.

18. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    for now it is mostly being used as an excuse to spam.

What people trying to spam?

Not me!

I am only trying to input valuable opinions and say it over and over that this Matter isn't right, and most sites like this doesn't require private information! Nor that this site should try to act like a business, because that would be the WRONG thing to do for this fan site!

there's very little we can do.

You are assuming on that!!

I think WE can do something as together as a BIG community, if you care! But do NOT ignore, ignore is let Mr. Wise do whatever he wants, and that isn't better for our fandom!

19. royalguard96

Aug 13, 2001
    I'd focus on the individual spam posts and offenders rather than sacrificing the thread itself.

Bingo. Sape has the makings of a good mod, someday ;)

Moderate the spammers, not the larger issue at hand.

20. DarthBane420

DarthBane420 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 13, 2003
    Am I allowed to open a "ReInstate Darth Attorney" thread?

21. Darth_Imran

May 30, 2002
    He said he isn't interested in reading the replies.

Well, that's nice of him. In that case, regular users can do nothing but hope for something good to come out of this situation.

One of the most concerning problems is that this kind of treatment of hard working volunteers is going to make it difficult to recruit new moderators. Capable volunteers are hard enough to find, but after this, it's likely that the number has taken a sharp drop.

The future of the JC is at stake here. And although I feel helpless, we still need to do something.

22. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    I think Mr. Wise truly needs to open his horizons...

Not many fan sites, requires this kind of registration, and most other fan sites Mods, like the Mods here, would also not give their private info...

How is this site different?

23. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Seriously, why change our volunteer roles to the conditions of an employee? Just let us back to the way we were. If we're not going to be held liable as a guarantee, then what does it matter if we provide the information and sign the agreement? If it didn't matter, we should all be able to return and simply have it as an option.

24. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    I'd focus on the individual spam posts and offenders rather than sacrificing the thread itself.

I can see that the other original general thread has been locked for spamming, but I wasn't part of that.

I hate people spam or going offtopic too, myself! It's a shame that thread got locked, and the space to speak about this matter is reduced to JUST this thread, now [face_plain]

25. Darth_Imran

May 30, 2002
    That's just it. Wise is trying to turn TFN into a form of business, with the standard employer - employee relationship. In actual fact, everyone here is just a SW fan. Some of these people are capable of running the place to keep things organised and interesting. Just because they're good enough to run a particular area of the JC doesn't mean to say you can turn them into your employees. By fact, employees are individuals that work for an organisation under a contract, and with that contract comes a wage among other things. Wise isn't paying anybody, and yet, he still wants the mods to sign a contract, even though the role of very mod is the same; they're still volunteers not working from a tangible source.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.