main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Release the Lucas Cut trending

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fett 4, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I’m hoping that Disney have learnt their lesson, and don’t use future Star Wars film to undermine previous characters/events with the same disregard as the ST did. Better that they don’t use the ST characters again in future ‘saga’ films... unless purely as cameos.

wobbits and Jedi_Fenrir767 like this.
  2. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    Iam not talking about your opinion but your arguments. Enjoy your opinion...

darthfettus2015 likes this.
  3. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I agree the saga should move forwards and go fast forward where the jedi and republic on it's feet again and only cameo of the ST cast, Rey can be force ghost. I think standalones and tv will cover some of thier stories. I think for now they'll go with the past to before phantom menace, high republic, old republic. And after 10 years a new trilogy past ST.

4. Darth Mikey

Darth Mikey Jedi Master star 3

Sep 7, 2015
    I remember posting something about they should've set the ST 100 years after the end of ROTJ. Luke and maybe Leia are Force Ghosts, could still have Chewie around ,and of course the droids. I think the basic outline of the ST would've been much more well received in having most of the OT characters removed or just being cameos,and not have their legacies and victories destroyed only a few decades after their greatest victory.

Jedi_Fenrir767 and Darth PJ like this.
  5. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Exactly that. Ultimately, if not a direct sequel to ROTJ, the ST only needed (IMO) Luke Skywalker... be that as a force ghost or as a wizened Jedi Master. Chewie and the droids could have come back as cameos...

ChildOfWinds and Jedi_Fenrir767 like this.
  6. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    If they had done that then fans would he bummed out that they couldn't see a sequel with all of those characters. Really its only in hindsight that not showing them would even be brought up by a fan.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  7. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Only a matter of time before F&F continues GL's work.

8. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    The only viable way I can see for a 'Lucas' cut to work would be something released in 5 - 10 years and it's something they would have to start working on now in terms of script etc. The way I would do it is we have the Star Wars Timeline as starting with the PT and Clone Wars leading into Rebels, Cassian, Rogue One and the OT followed by The Mandalorian and any other shows they make for that time period. Next DLFL would have to work with Lucas so that his version of the ST fits with the story coming out of the TV series and it would most likely have to be animated then you release it. After that you let fans take their pick as to what story interests them more GL's or the ST have them both run in parallel make up something that after both there is 100 years of dull boring peace and start the next story from there. Ensure that ideas and concepts from both are compatible in the next time period. Just lock the post ST Era for a few decades and throw away the key and start fresh.

I don't think this will ever happen but it's the only way I can see Disney ever releasing a 'cut' or redoing the ST as it would allow them to save face and not trash their own product. While also letting fans get the end to the 'Skywalker' Saga. Sorry if you like the DEU but as it's been contradicted a bunch I am just chucking it in the trash as it doesn't really add anything to the story and taking it into account would make everything very messy!

9. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    There is a much cleaner way for GL's direction to occur - F&F can continue on their current story path and ignore the ST. Their event film that culminates the Disney+ series they have in a live-action (something they already said was occurring) can include a the world between world's manipulation (which is logo for Ahsoka series). Filoni has already used that device to save Ahsoka and showed the danger of it it not saving Kanan but that was animated - he will play with it in live action - that's clear. Change any of the poorly thought of background stories of the ST and it doesn't happen - its alternate story.

After that point 1-6 is reclassified as the Lucas Skywalker story - with the Mando climax event being a reset for all the bad world building from the ST.

So I do believe we can get a publicly backed GL continuation of what he wanted in the ST, without even calling it the ST if they like.

Its clear that the ST doesn't stand up. A year after its completion - what is this board of fans talking about with the ST?

The Development Of The Sequel Trilogy
    Behind the Scenes of the Sequel Trilogy
    Release the Lucas Cut trending
    What Do You Think Of The Dyad?
    how different do you think a Lucas ST would've been?
    Is a TROS Director's Cut Possible?

Doubt Disney is any more satisfied than fans. The ST basically no longer makes them any money. If it did we'd see more of it. Not just in visual projects but in merchandise sales.

BlackRanger likes this.
  10. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    While it's not directly in the Media and Entertainment Division, they spent billions of dollars developing two theme parks themed around it. The marquee ride at both theme parks is based off of it and it gets filled to capacity each day in minutes, if not seconds. They have an immersive hotel coming out (I have a differing opinion on how it will do but that's just it's price point). They are still making money off the ST.

jaimestarr likes this.
  11. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    They have been plans since The Mandalorian dropped to add it to Galaxy Edge - which doesn't fit theme/story telling. Disney has decided to shelf that GE/ST time focus to expand the type of characters at GE to not be so ST focused.

Galaxy Edge is a lot like the ST. Just as the ST was supposed to use GL's treatments, GE was originally schemed to be Tatooine. Someone then got a big head and thought they could do it better, it in turn hasn't made the money they expected wanted, and it now is being changed to envelop more of the vision of GL.

And just as the ST didn't grow the SW brand, GE did not boost attendance (even with the wait times for the ride).

The immersive hotel has rumors as well as going away from ST theme. And these aren't from SW boards - these are from theme park enthusiasts.

All this stuff is easily searchable.

You are correct in one part. Disney spent billions on making their own Star Wars. And they have failed and are going back to GL's work.

Jedi_Fenrir767 and Darth Mikey like this.
  12. Jedi_Fenrir767

Oct 16, 2013
    That may be true now but it wasn’t for the first year. The California park was empty in 2019 and lost them money. It may have changed now since people want to get out out but neither park has been the smashing success that Disney wanted. Florida has had more success but it’s still something they overall has cost them money since they started building it.

2Cleva likes this.
  13. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I don't think that's actually the case... this is a discussion fans have been having, here and elsewhere, since TFA went into production i.e. how the filmmakers were going to balance using the OT3 with new characters. And personally speaking, the only character I really ever wanted to see back in a substantial role was Luke Skywalker. Many fans had already witnessed something similar with Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, which aptly demonstrated that returning characters (no matter how loved) were not enough to necessarily elevate a film... so there were lots of fans who felt trepidation at how the OT3 would be used (both those who were concerned they'd dominate the new characters, and those who didn't think the OT3 would be used enough).

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    Jedi_Fenrir767 likes this.
  14. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Thats just not the fandom i remember back in 2015. the fandom i remember in 2015 was

• The prequels suck, Disney will ignore them!
    • So glad Disney took Star Wars away from Lucas!
    • Disney will give the fans what they want!
    And what did the fans want? Well lets be honest, not many were talking about new characters. everyone wanted to see the OT characters back. That was the main sell. because without todays hindsight you have no reason to believe Disney would let the fans down the way Lucas did.

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  15. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I mean it doesn’t seem so much as they are going back to ‘GLs work’ and more that they are refocusing on the current era of new content in The Mandalorian.

16. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    The new content is all based on the story of F&F who have made it clear, especially Filoni, that it's continuing GL's work - just as it was clear early on with Disney SW that they were flaunting going in the opposite direction of GL.

I can imagine Lucas now.

[​IMG]

17. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    My point is that from Disney Parks point of view it likely has more to do with The Mandalorian being the current product that’s out there than any intention on their part to move SW back to GLs content.

18. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes, they're following the success. Since the Mandalorian is proving successful, it's getting added to the park. That's just good business. Now, the fact that the Mandalorian is also the closest continuation of George's work is a happy coincidence, but that's not what they care about. They follow the success.

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  19. Darth Mikey

Darth Mikey Jedi Master star 3

Sep 7, 2015
    I'm all for a rebooted ST in animated form. With what they can do today,it could be made very photo-realistic.

20. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Which the Mandalorian is because Filoni wants it to be and that's where the good SW content will be rooted in which will constantly be rooted in what GL wanted.

Filoni is about to be as integral to Disney SW as can be. He's going to control the overarching beats of the post-ROTJ SW. He's been doing this for years animated - now it's live-action too.

And for Disney to change a product line and entire scheme of what GE was supposed to be (an immersive experience between a specific period between episodes 8 and 9 and instead it's trying to open to the entire timeline tells you all you need to know of how the original iteration was a failure (in under 5 years).

21. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    No doubt the ST era isn’t as successful as they’d like, and there may be less content because it’s not as popular as other eras, but we don’t know that they weren’t already planning on adapting it to the most popular product at any given time.

For Disney Parks it’s purely the most popular era at any time. They are thinking of the Mandalorian, not GL.

22. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Starting a new era set after the sequels i can only imagine would be tough. mostly because i don't think they have the Lucas imagination to know where to take something like that.

23. Jedi_Fenrir767

Oct 16, 2013
    There has been talk of retheming the whole park to Kashykk or even Endor or something else. The park is not working as intended and they want to add more content that will bring in people. The rides are staying but the whole theming of the park around Baatu or whatever has not gone over well at all

wobbits, ChildOfWinds and 2Cleva like this.
  24. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Not surprising since the Baatu part isn't from a film. People know and are emotionally connected to the films. That's why the Wizarding World park recreated the locations from the Potter books and films.

25. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    If they had been following the success they wouldn’t have based the park on a brand-new setting. They would have based it on the OT, or both the OT and PT. The core of the franchise. What made them money for decades.