main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Religion Mocking

Discussion in 'Communications' started by YoungJedi11, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    This is becoming an incredibly out-of-control situation in the JCC. The first one was bothersome, but allowable. The second one was offensive, but it stayed. As the number keeps growing, the worse they are.

I've PMed two mods on the issue, and even though they were moderately helpful, I really don't want to take "There's nothing we can do." for an answer. This should not be happening, and it most certainly should not be allowed.

I would provide examples of specific threads, but they should be relatively easy to find. Even if the overall mocking of a religion is going to be continued to be allowed, I think a cap on the number of threads that do it would be appropriate. A new one every few days is just not cool.

2. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Well, I just skimmed the last 500 threads, and only saw two threads with a major religious basis, both from tonight (What would Jesus do, and If Jesus were to come again as many claim he will, then takes communion... ). Maybe a third about Mel Gibsons Movie "The Passion".

So....unless I missed a few in my skimming, then I dont think the number of threads is a big issue. Definitely not worth imposing a cap at this stage.

Now, so far as it goes, any and all religion talk was completely banned from the JCC until recently. But we've been loosening this, because we dont want to restrain discussion any more than is necessary. That means we'll try to allow a few threads on religion, provided people dont go crazy and have a bust-up each time there is a thread. Provided people dont try to cause offense.

Now, looking at those two threads...."What Would Jesus Do...." I found that to be lighthearted and not at all offensive. Granted that I'm neither Christian nor religious, but still...I just found that the thread itself wasnt meant to deride Jesus or Christianity, but rather joke around with religion and a catchphrase that often gets used. I personally dont have an issue with it. Even if the jokes got into things like what sport Jesus would play, I personally didnt think it was anything more than lighthearted joviality, and not at all anything meant to offend.

The Second thread, about communion....well, my take is that it was an attempt to try to poke fun at a religious ceremony. Again, I dont find it particularly offensive, but I can see where some wouldnt like it, as it does make fun of religious beliefs. As far as it goes, since I got online and saw it, I've been tossing the thought in my head as to whether I should lock it or not....to me I could take it or leave it.

Its not a case of 'theres nothing we can do'. Not at all. We can do things, cap the number of threads, cut back completely, let things go completely, take a very PC stance at what can and cant be mentioned in threads. All sorts of things. But in the end, we have to weigh up the notion of restraining discussion against upsetting people over what could be minor issues. We dont want to let people run rampant with offensive threads, but at the same time, we're not here to protect and shelter every member that has a soft spot for a given topic.

3. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    i agree with dagsy on this issue.

4. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Didn't we discuss this in the AC once and came to the conclusion that people need to grow a thicker skin?

Also.... watch South Park, then come back here - you'll find YJCC's kind of mocking pathetic and not worthy of mention or recognition.

plus, I agree with epic

5. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000

Also.... watch South Park, then come back here - you'll find YJCC's kind of mocking pathetic and not worthy of mention or recognition.

What happens on South Park has no effect or bearing whatsoever on what happens here.

6. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    That's of course right. I only meant if he hears far worse things elsewhere (since it won't be allowed here, as Dagsy correctly said), he (and others) won't care about the relatively harmless jokes that are allowed to be posted on the JC.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    As someone who posted in the JCC "What Would Jesus Do..."

... for a Klondike bar thread, I posted early to make a funny reference because the thread could either be a "funny" thread or a "degenerative" thread. From what I saw in the first (at least) two pages, pretty much everyone I say (Stackpole, Saint, etc.) were taking everything extremely tongue-in-cheek and nothing at all was being made seriously offensive, IMO.

That could have changed (I haven't checked it in a while) but I dunno. But it was definitely planned as a "funny ha-ha" thread, not a "funny **** you" thread IMO... :)

8. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I liked both of those threads, and they didn't seem mocking to me.

Besides, what's wrong with combining two catchphrases like "What Would Jesus Do?" and "What would you do for a Klondike Bar?"

The combination is just too perfect to pass up! :p

Anata Baka?!

9. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    I think as a rule of thumb, only Hinduism should be mocked.

10. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    But in the end, we have to weigh up the notion of restraining discussion against upsetting people over what could be minor issues. We dont want to let people run rampant with offensive threads, but at the same time, we're not here to protect and shelter every member that has a soft spot for a given topic.

Agreed.

The What Would Jesus Do could have been offensive, but the users posting in the thread have not bashed Christianity or Religion. The second thread turned ugly pretty quickly and Dagsy make the appropriate call to lock it.

11. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    WWJD? He probably wouldn't be here on line talking about SW.

12. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    So....unless I missed a few in my skimming, then I dont think the number of threads is a big issue. Definitely not worth imposing a cap at this stage.

Yeah, the other two kind of faded out...sorry about that. :/

Now, so far as it goes, any and all religion talk was completely banned from the JCC until recently. But we've been loosening this, because we dont want to restrain discussion any more than is necessary. That means we'll try to allow a few threads on religion, provided people dont go crazy and have a bust-up each time there is a thread. Provided people dont try to cause offense.

I guess I should have said this in my first post, but my problem is not having threads that have a joke or two about religion. It's when the users that post in them continually post messages that aren't openly offensive, but have the obvious undertone.

Didn't we discuss this in the AC once and came to the conclusion that people need to grow a thicker skin?

Believe me, I have a plenty thick skin. People at MC are aware of that. }:)

What Gandolf said.

I think as a rule of thumb, only Hinduism should be mocked.

Then we might offend Apu. :/

13. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I think if we can't make jokes about religion, we're all going to hell.

14. Sam_Skywalker

Sam_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    I think if we can't make jokes about religion, we're all going to hell

Its funny until someone makes fun of something you hold close. Then you find yourself posting these threads in Comms.

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Its funny until someone makes fun of something you hold close. Then you find yourself posting these threads in Comms.

You mean... like STAR WARS?

"Yeah, Lucas is raping my childhood!"

No different. Only different IN YOUR MIND...

;)

16. Sam_Skywalker

Jul 30, 2003
    It is different. and I find it hilarious as well as surprising that you don't see that.

I don't really give a crap for Star Wars thta much. I do however give more for my religion. Shouldn't that be respected? If not, please close my account right now.

17. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Sam, tell me, what's so wrong with the threads mentioned? What posts are offensive?

Anata Baka?!

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It is different. and I find it hilarious as well as surprising that you don't see that.

I don't really give a crap for Star Wars thta much. I do however give more for my religion. Shouldn't that be respected? If not, please close my account right now.

Considering that "Jedi" got enough responses to classify itself as a national religion in some countries, I find it hard to believe you don't think that there are people out there who view Star Wars with more love and intensity than they do organized religion.

So there ARE IN FACT people out there who "don't really give a crap for religion" that much. Shouldn't they be respected?

Now, to be fair, this is an irrelevant argument as when things get out of hand on BOTH sides (Star Wars or religion) the threads are locked (as Dagsy did with the second one). However, when posts are clearly in jest -- there's usually not an issue.

19. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    The only disrespect I see, Sam, is towards the JC members and moderators who are keeping such threads light-hearted and non-offensive.

20. Sam_Skywalker

Jul 30, 2003
    Actually, there was a thread titled "What kind of FREAKS make Star Wars a religion". There were a ton of replies saying that the author should be ashamed for not respecting their religion of choice. Even a mod jumped in.

The only disrespect I see, Sam, is towards the JC members and moderators who are keeping such threads light-hearted and non-offensive.
    I don't to be disrespectful, but the Adminstartation has got it wrong on this issue.
    All or nothing. As with the thread mentioned above, shouldn't that extend to ALL religions? When is jest offesnive? Religion is not a light-hearted issue. Especially when you ahve a forum full of people who don't really care about the other people here.
    Thats one reason there are fewer Mod canidates. The ModSquad is doing it to themselves by setting double standards.

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Actually, there was a thread titled "What kind of FREAKS make Star Wars a religion". There were a ton of replies saying that the author should be ashamed for not respecting their religion of choice. Even a mod jumped in.

And do you think the intent was "humor" or "meanspirited" in that case, hmmm?

So, out of curiosity, what do you think should be on the JC "holiday" banner which is usually Christmas-oriented in nature? That usually offends my Jewishness, not to mention the Crucifix icons, Nativity icons and all icons, except for Snoopy Christmas icons. Should those not occur in your opinion?

There's a line between SENSITIVITY and OVERSENSITIVITY. We try and manage on the SENSITIVITY line and not the other...

22. Sam_Skywalker

Jul 30, 2003
    So, out of curiosity, what do you think should be on the JC "holiday" banner which is usually Christmas-oriented in nature? That usually offends my Jewishness, not to mention the Crucifix icons, Nativity icons and all icons, except for Snoopy Christmas icons. Should those not occur in your opinion?
    I've seen holiday TFN banners. They say, "Happy Life-day!!". Nowhere is the wrod "Christmas" found. I'm not sure why anyone would be offended.

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I've seen holiday TFN banners. They say, "Happy Life-day!!". Nowhere is the wrod "Christmas" found. I'm not sure why anyone would be offended.

You're joking, right?

Christmas Trees.
    Nativity icons.
    Crucifix icons.

You didn't happen to catch the whole "theme" then?

24. Sam_Skywalker

Jul 30, 2003
    So you're offended when you drive out and see Chrsitmas trees on sale? When you got to a cemetary and see crosses on the graves? Have you been to Arlington?

The cross is social symbol.

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The cross is social symbol.

And there you just insulted about 30% of the world's population.

So, the issue is -- do you think we're supposed to moderate to the line of sensitivity or oversensitivity?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.