main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Remember Beast Wars?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by ComicDiva, Feb 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ComicDiva

ComicDiva Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2004
    Man, I loved that show! Especially Dinobot. Yup, Dinobot was my favourite. And his chemistry with Rattrap was great. One of my favourite episodes is the one where they have to work together to save Rhinox and they end up nearly killing eachother. And then Rhinox saves everybody with a cataclismic energeon-ish fart.
    Ahhh... now that's great television!

Not really sure how I feel about Beast Machines. It was an interesting cartoon, that's for sure and I liked the idea at the end of reuniting organic and mechanical, but I can understand why that wouldn't go well with long time TRansformers Fans.

2. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I think it went over pretty well with Transformer fans.

I never liked it for the exact reason you mentioned. Organic twist to robots didn't work for me.

3. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    I found Beast Wars, and its concurrently-aired sequel Beast Machines, to be a fantastic and compelling show which was excellently produced. The characters were interesting and human (moreso than many shows where the characters actually ARE human, as opposed to sentient robots) and the storyline was fascinating from the start. One of the greatest aspects, IMO, was the fact that the story was constantly changing and evolving. They didn't have any fear of showing the characters getting mangled or tortured or straight-up killed (very revolutionary for a show marketed at children) and they completely changed the paradigms and status quo of the entire series more than once. Typically, a show or movie would stop being produced after an apocalyptic catastrophe that changes everything, from the cast to the characters to the costumes to the settings to the locations to the very LOOK of the world itself. This show, however, didn't fear the change. They adapted and continued to explore what happened to the survivors after the end of season 1, where everything and everyone was different. Then, they changed the world AGAIN in the second season, which didn't harm the show, but made it more compelling. The characters were again changed, the world looked completely different again, and the balance of power continued to shift in ways that any "serious" television drama would never even think to attempt. Then, they actually had a conclusion to the Beast Wars, which resolved all of the hanging plot lines and suggested a likely outcome for the story. Yet another highly admirable accomplishment.

That only covers Beast Wars. The story continued in Beast Machines, yet another 180 degree twist away from the established story. The characters are changed even more than they had been at any time in the first story, and the setting is completely different. The atmosphere, mood, and cinematography have taken a turn that confused many when they first saw it. It seemed like the producers of the second series wanted to find some way to outdo Beast Wars, and so they went for the whole pot, and drew up the concept of the technorganic revolution. Gotta give them kudos for creativity, even if it isn't my ideal story idea. The story started out with a bang and kept growing stronger (a highlight of both series. Both managed to not lose their pace, but get better with each passing episode) and the edenic ending to Beast Machines seemed a fitting conclusion.

It never ceases to amaze me how these shows turned out so shockingly fantastic, especially considering that they were meant as a marketing tool for a new line of transformers toys. Well, that's neither here nor there, and we the fans ended up with a fantastic television production to look back upon.

4. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Dino-bot... what else do I have to say?

Ya know even despite growing up on Transformers, I really do think Beast Wars was a better show. Maybe it's nostalgia talking, but it just felt... more grown up? Not sure. Anyways, yes, Beast Wars was AWESOME!

5. Boba_Fett_2006

Boba_Fett_2006 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2006
    I love Beast Wars, though I never really got into Beast Machines.

6. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    Beast Wars was great, my favourite Transformers series. It had great stories and great characters. The Dynamic between Megatron and Optimus has never been better.

7. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    Beast Wars was amazing, and was one of my favourite after-school shows. I used to love Dinobot. He died a hero.

Beast Machines just got weird.

8. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    Are the Beast Wars shows collected for DVD the way they are for Generation 1?

9. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000AGQ3M/qid=1140051189/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-9652257-2424617?v=glance
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001LJCMU/qid=1140051189/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/103-9652257-2424617?v=glance
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002LE9HW/qid=1140051189/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/103-9652257-2424617?v=glance

10. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    'I am a warrior. Let the battle be joined.'

Beast Wars was, in my opinion, the best section of the TF franchise yet. better then G1, better than the Marvel comics. Certainly better than Amrada/Energon/Cybertron.

So complex and well-written, it almost hurts.

11. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    What exactly happened at the end of Beast Machines. I never really found out. Was Silverbolt really that motorcycle guy? Did Rhinox become good again?

12. Jeedai_Veila

Jeedai_Veila Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 15, 2006
    I used to love watching Beast Wars everday after school. The storylines were really compelling, the animation was great, the transformers looked pretty bad***, and of course the characters! The characters can really make or break a show, and I think Beast Wars really showed the world how to do characterization right. From the romances between Tigertron and Airazor and Silverbolt and Blackarachnia to the funny dialog between Rattrap and Dinobot or Megatron and Inferno, Beast Wars really kept me hooked the whole way through.
    As for Beast Machines, I saw some of it and I tried to like it, but I just never really got into it like I did Beast Wars. I guess there just weren't enough characters for my taste, but that's just my opinion.

13. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    Beast Wars is my favorite TF series, and while Beast Machines may not be that great, it looks WAY better compared to Armada, Energon and Cybertron.

Has anyone picked up the new comic from IDW?

14. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    I loved Beast Wars. Let's see here (just the characters alone):

Blackarachnia-Even when I'm good, I'm still bad

She's soo the kick-butt Kung-fu Karate Queen

Silverbolt-It is my duty as a Maximal and a heroic character

One word: Romeo

Dinobot-I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way... BRUTALLY!

To quote Optimus, he lived a warrior and died a hero. Of course, that doesn't go for my AU Dino-angst fanfic, which is all of the S2 episodes rewritten according to a change in COH.

Unfortunately, BM didn't live up to its prequel's glory, except for in its Rattrap romance and some of its Vehicon stuff.

15. Jeedai_Veila

Jan 15, 2006
    I agree about Silverbolt and Blackarachnia. Best. CGI. Romance. Ever. :)

In Beast Machines, my favorite part was when Blackarachnia found out Thrust's TRUE identity after following him all that time.... [face_laugh] Anyone who saw that part knows what I mean ;)

16. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    Yeah I kinda remember. However, the only good moments, IMO, are the Rattrap/Botanica mush scenes.

17. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    my favorite transformer in Beast Wars would have to be Rhinox

18. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    Beast Machines the entire series was released today. I jumped into this one hoping it would carry on the great Beast Wars storylines only to be severely disappointed. I couldn't even follow that show.

19. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    Alot of people don't seem to like Beast Machines. I haven't seen it as it was never shown on TV in New Zealand. Is it really that bad?

20. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    It totally ruined Silverbolt. What a fashion disaster!

21. CloneTrooper_3000

CloneTrooper_3000 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2005
    I grew up with the G1 cartoon and toys but never was a big fan of the Transformers mythology. Then I saw Beast Wars. At first I thought the idea was ridiculous but I got sucked into the storyline and before I knew it, I was a fan of all things Transformers. While I've enjoyed all of the Transformers series, nothing has come close to Beast Wars.

22. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    I'd like to pick up the Beast Wars DVDs, but at $41 that's a bit steep in my opinion.

23. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    yeah. i'd like to get them sometime when i get the chance

24. CloneTrooper_3000

CloneTrooper_3000 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2005
    I don't think that's too bad, that seems to be about standard for most complete season DVD sets. Besides, you can get seasons two and three for less than $20 each. I have all three seasons and I think they're well worth owning.

25. Jeedai_Veila

Jan 15, 2006
    Yeah, I have all three seasons as well, and I absolutely love them. I won't be picking up Beast Machines however, because I just didn't like how they made it all spiritual and stuff. I remember reading an interview with Gary Chalk, the guy who voiced Optimus Primal, and even HE hated Beast Machines. He didn't like how Optimus turned into a sort of fanatic in that series, and I have to agree with him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.