main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Remember, Remember the 17th of November | A (very personal) song roulette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Chyntuck, Nov 1, 2023.

1. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    It's a few minutes into the 17th of November where I live, and in honor of the 17th of November, I too have my fanfic posted:

Freedom in the Streets and Cafes

Thank you to @Chyntuck for providing the translation from Greek into English for my song, for giving me a history of the song, and for educating us all about the Polytechnic Uprising in Greece@};-

I sincerely hope I was able to pay tribute to some of that spirit of freedom and revolution in my story focused on Naboo university students!

2. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    W00t, 17th of November entries! :) :) I've got them indexed @earlybird-obi-wan and @devilinthedetails. I'm off to the commemoration now, but I'll be back this afternoon/evening with reviews.

3. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I hope the commemoration is very meaningful, @Chyntuck [:D]

4. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Thank you @devilinthedetails ! It was a very good day. First we went to my children's school where they had a small ceremony (my daughter was in the choir that sang the song you picked for a prompt, incidentally), then we went to the Polytechnic and laid our red carnations on the broken gate, and then we joined the march with the Association of Imprisoned and Exiled Resistance Members, where the presence of the Chyntucklings dropped the age median considerably :p The rally was HUGE and we didn't even make it half-way to the American embassy because the kids were tired – more like exhausted, because we're back home, it's not even 8 pm and they're already sleeping!

... which means that I have the evening to geek out on the boards, and now's the time to catch up on reviews!

5. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    @Chyntuck if you don't mind my doubling up this way, my most recent Kessel Run story is also my entry for this challenge:

I Only Play

6. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    I finally wrote something for this challenge (and yes, being 6 months late for my own challenge makes me The Fail™, but here we are): The Pilgrimage, in my Outcast thread.

I used song #1, Το προσκύνημα/The Pilgrimage, music by Stavros Xarchakos, lyrics by Iakovos Kambanellis, sung by Nikos Dimitratos and choir, which is the song featured in the opening video of this challenge. The song is borrowed from Our Great Circus, the same theatre play as Friends and Brothers, which was picked by @DarthIshtar, with the difference that The Pilgrimage was added after the fall of the Junta and directly references the Polytechnic Uprising. You can read the blurb about the play here; the video and lyrics are below.

The Pilgrimage

Let us go to the autumn yard
    behind the parched summer grass
    Let us visit the children who went to sleep
    under the pigeon’s bloody claws
    Let me show you the yard where they came of age

Two children in love
    two children of sorrow

Orestes from Volos
    Maria from Sparta
    I seek my son
    Maria from Sparta
    Orestes from Volos
    I want my daughter

Two children in love
    two children of sorrow

Orestes from Volos
    Maria from Sparta
    I seek my son
    Maria from Sparta
    Orestes from Volos
    I want my daughter

---------------------------------------

@Findswoman I realised that I never replied to your post above, sorry for that! But I've had your entry in the index all along :)