main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Replacing Ford as Jones? Would it be a sin?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by WhiskeyGold, Jul 25, 2013.

1. NightWalker1138

NightWalker1138 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 24, 2015
    I wouldn't like another Indy film without Harrison. I think he is the soul of the character. But, on the other hand, it's clear to me over the time Disney will choose another actor to play the role. Over the years I think it will be inevitable. It will be another different era for me, like an "expanded universe" or something similar, because I think the movies with Harrison are unique, they are history of the cinema and history of my own life.

I've accepted that over the time Harrison will be replaced, because it's inevitable, but I will always think it's not necessary. I don't understand the obsession of the companies on not to finish the series or sagas. It's like the money was burning in his pockets if they don't do anything with the franchises. I think sometimes it's good let the things alone. We live in a commercial world where everything has to return again and again to make eternal profit until it dies of overexploitation. I think the commercial world imposes us fashions too, and it's like the old movies were not worth it over the time. I don't understand that vision...

They might make a series of animation on CGI or something and let the movies with Harrison as the official canon... But "Indiana Jones" is a very juicy name to let it alone or finished.

I am not saying they will can't make a good film... It's only I don't see it necessary... I don't know if I am explaining well... Anyway, I'm glad to have a last film with Harrison and may we have fortune and glory.

2. Araminta

Araminta Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2016
    I think that replacing Ford would be a huge mistake.....

TK327 and El Jedi Colombiano like this.
  3. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    I'm watching a friend play "Uncharted" for the first time and it just confirms something I've always thought about this franchise: I really wish Hollywood would drop Indy and instead do the same thing Tomb Raider and Uncharted did in the video game world, come up with something that's obviously inspired by it but still at least inventing its own characters and its own stories and settings.

I think what I hate the most about the "commercial world" thing is when people say "but you're a fan of Star Wars/Star Trek/Indy/wev. You should be happy to introduce a new generation to it." I don't understand; did something happen to the old movies? Is something preventing the new generations from being "introduced" to these movies when they air on TV or by picking them up at the local library the same way I did? (None of my favorite franchises are things I experienced upon their original release).

4. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    well according to Bob Iger Harrison gets one more film then recast. My guess is with the guy they get for the Han Solo Film?

5. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    What bums me out is why there is no apparent drive at Lucasfilm to produce a new franchise. Obviously SW and Indy have to happen because they will provide huge financial returns. But I would feel a lot better about things if we were to get at least a hint that LFL is exploring new ideas. And there's no excuse not to do this precisely because the existing tentpole franchises will put enough money in the coffers to finance new endeavors.

As for Indy, I think the franchise should end with Ford. I would love to see more films that have the spirit of Indy. But new characters and concepts would be most welcome.

Ackbar's Fishsticks and Sarge like this.
  6. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015
    I think the best course of action for the franchise, is to introduce a younger competitor in Indy 5, that will become the focus of the next generation of films.

7. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I think the best way to introduce a new actor playing Indy would be to have Harrison book-end the movie as old Indy, and segue into a movie-length flashback to the 1930's era Indy. The "Mcguffin" could appear in both sets of sequences for continuity. They did it seamlessly between River Phoenix and Harrison in Last Crusade, when he lowers his head with the fedora on as River, then lifts it and it is Harrison, years later. They could do that in reverse.

8. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015

Another vote here for Pratt. I thought Gerard Butler had the right look some time back, but might now be a bit too old. (In fact, the guy who plays "Fedora" in The Last Crusade looks a bit like Gerard Butler)

9. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I think that, if they are going to recast and go back to the 30s after Spielberg's next film,one way to handle it would be to launch the new actor right within the next film. Do a flashback or a parallel story set 30 years prior (a la the young Indy scene in TLC) featuring the new actor as Indy during the WWII era and Ford as Indy in the 60s.

10. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    One way to do it would be to have Harrison portray an older version of Indiana taking place in the 1960's, in a type of time travel story where another actor portrays a younger version of him in the 1940's. Perhaps something like this:

Indiana Jones and the Scrolls of Time
    Indiana Jones gets called in to help the Americans find the first copy of the ancient Japanese scroll known as Nihongi, before the Russians do. Legend says that the Nihongi allows the reader to speak to yourself through time, and the Russians plans to speak through time and change the outcome of World War 2, destroying both Germany and USA so that Soviet may emerge as the only true superpower in the world.

11. Santar

Santar Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2014
    I've never liked recasting, they never feel like the same character.
    Because they aren't, it's a new actor doing either their best impression of the original or just doing their own spin on the character.
    Either way it won't be Indy anymore.

Recasting Indy is basically the same as creating a new character, in a way it's worse because they're not creating anything new and locking the actor in a box of established personifications.
    I really hope they just let Ford have Indy 5 for himself and create a new character maybe in the same universe but not Indy for the future cash cow milking.

12. JediMasterSven

JediMasterSven Jedi Master star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    I'd be partial to continuing the franchise with an adult Short Round after Harrison has Indy V.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  13. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015
    Harrison Ford definitely immortalized the role of Indiana Jones in RotLA, but yes ultimately he is replaceable. They could easily move forward with an almost endless amount of Indy adventure films, and have different actors play the role in the same way they do/did with James Bond. The Indiana Jones character and franchise is perfect for something like this. Who knows, we may even actually come to love another actor in the role. Just look at James Bond; Connery, Moore, Brosnan, and Craig were all excellent, even Dalton and Lazenby were both decent in the role. If the casting is reasonably good it'd work out fine. Btw, it'll always be "Indiana" Jones as far as i'm concerned, not "Henry" lol.

14. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Maybe if they got Mark Harmon to play Indy, that could work. But you would run the risk of people asking what is Gibbs from NCIS doing in an Indiana Jones film.

15. Ord Sorrell

Ord Sorrell Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 16, 2016
    For me.. allowing the Indiana Jones franchise to die a peaceful accomplished death is perfectly OK...

movie studios shouldn't be afraid to move on to new projects, and although other people, especially those too young to appreciate Ford's career in its entirety, may enjoy a new Indiana, I don't think I'd ever go to see an Indiana film without Ford.

For me Star Wars is different, it evolved far past the original trilogy, which is why I can understand the films stretching out into eternity. But Hollywood has to stop rehashing or remaking everything and really start coming up with new original icons and legacies.

Ackbar's Fishsticks and Seagoat like this.
  16. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Oh, so much this

I'm probably in the minority for this, but that's to me why the majority of movies nowadays are so dull. I'm tired of seeing the same formula again and again. It works if a series (SW for example) has a consistent flow with a certain formula. Mixed opinions as it may have among us, I love TFA for its ability to keep up the "poetry" while, in my eyes, having its own flavour

But in the meantime, you've got all these movies out there that are hyped up for a month and subsequently forgotten. The common denominator is there just isn't enough in them to give a "Wow. I've never seen that before. I'll go tell all my friends how awesome it is!" reaction

At least that's how I feel

17. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    I imagine after Indy 5 they will create a new series maybe called Raiders of... probably entirely set during wwii.

18. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    maybe if they did Indy prequels, that could work.

19. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016

Believe it or not, I can actually see Tom Selleck pulling off Indiana Jones. Of course that could have something to do with the fact that I saw that one episode of Magnum P.I.

Sarge likes this.
  20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    IIRC, that one was called Raiders of the Lost Art.

21. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    Hmmm...... So now all we have to do is come up with a story that offers a good reason for Tom Selleck's character to become the next Indiana Jones. Maybe Tom is the sidekick, and in the course of the story Indy is killed by the villain. Tom picks up the whip and fedora, promising to avenge Indy, then proceeds to nail the villain and retrieve whatever artifact. Movie ends with Indy's funeral. Final shot is Tom donning the fedora and raising his head to look straight into the camera, thereby becoming the next Indiana Jones. Fade to black. Roll credits.

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Have you seen Tom Selleck lately? It's been a long time since Magnum PI, and I doubt he'd last long in the fedora before he'd have to be replaced by someone younger.

23. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    Oh, snap! You're right. Darn it! But the plotline I suggested could still work. Just instead of Tom, (insert actor here).

24. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    It would let the story go back to being 1930's pulp fiction.
    There are several obvious people who could do the role with quite a bit of style.

The trick is to get that feel of a movie set in the 1930's but filmed in the 1980's, and still entertaining to a 2020 audience.

25. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I'd say NO! There is no replacing Harrison.. BUT they are doing it to Han Solo, so why not..o_O

SilentGuy66 likes this.