main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Repost: OFFENSIVE MISUSE of title ability by the Administration

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Wattowatta, Jun 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wattowatta

Wattowatta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2000
    Original Thread

BobTheGoon

Date Posted: 5:14pm Subject: OFFENSIVE MISUSE of title ability by the Administration - Date Edited: 6:04pm (3 edits total) Edited By: Kessel Runner

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Members are berated for complaining about not being able to use new features (*cough*PadmeBra*cough*) when this demonstrates that those very few put in control of such a feature (and we know who they are) aren't even responsible enough to refrain from juvenile displays such as this.

I might find it funny if I didn't have two very close friends from Vietnam who find that term just as derogatory as calling someone a sp*c or the "n" word. Oh, wait, I'm not a childish insensitive jerk. Instead I'm pretty damned offended that something like this was allowed to happen, and that the person responsible decided to use a derogatory term instead of something more general, or even decided to do it at all.

For shame.

Makes you wonder who else might be next.

And no, before you ask or accuse, I was not put up to this. It was simply pointed out to me, and I thought it was rather hypocritical in light of the recent "Who me?" situation that has devloped among the mods these past few days.

Oh, and "Hello" to my friend Internet Drama.

<<EDIT: OK, so everyone seems to have big issues with me locking this. I have no problem with this subject being discussed. It's an issue, OK, I understand that. But I locked this thread because it was being taken off track with off-color commentary. If you want to discuss the titles, then DISCUSS the titles....and start a new thread to do so.>>

---------------------------------------------

Wattowatta
    Date Posted: 5:47pm Subject: RE: OFFENSIVE MISUSE of title ability by the Administration - Date Edited: 5:49pm (1 edits total) Edited By: Wattowatta

Would this be a use of "Community-building Stupidity" by the administration? Come, children, let's see how they try to pull their asses out of this sling!

Honestly, this is simply incredible. First, an administrator would have the gumption to grant a member a custom title which should have only be granted to mod staff-a blatant breach of established forum policy-and second, would use that title to put on a derogatory slur for childish amusement-a blatant breach of human decency.

Regardless of what dp has done in the past, there is absolutely no justification for this action. It would serve the Mod Squad well to give a complete and full explanation to the populace as to why this incident occured, and-if it weren't too much of a blow to the Squad's pride-to issue an apology toward those afflicted.

Apology Posted. DRAMA over.

2. Master_JoshuaWindu

Master_JoshuaWindu Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2001
    [image=http://darthpsychotic.homestead.com/files/gheycee_admin_abuse.jpg]

K. Thx. Bye.

3. Wattowatta

Jan 5, 2000
    That does indeed say it all.

4. Kessel Runner

Kessel Runner Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 10, 1999
    Wattowatta, if you're going to repost this, make sure and include my edit which has explicits on behavior in here. Thank you.

5. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Kessel Runner has been enigmatically silent about why he edited my post in the original thread. All he's said is "I felt it prudent." ?[face_plain] Why? I broke no rule.

For the record, all I did was show what everyone was talking about: that a mod or admin had bestowed upon darthpsychotic the title of "dink."

EDIT: Heh... Speak of the Devil...

6. Wattowatta

Jan 5, 2000
  7. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    KR, the single post you edited was copied and pasted from said thread. It still exists there.

-- Regardless of what dp has done in the past, there is absolutely no justification for this action.

I agree.

8. jediguy

jediguy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2000
    Honestly, if you're going to be giving idiot member's titles, at least make them funny. Like SA.

9. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    Who's SA?

10. Wattowatta

Jan 5, 2000
    Titles aren't supposed to be handed out to members, much less have them be humorous or derogatory.

11. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    One of our Managers wanted to experiment with the HTML capablities in titles (regarding font size) but didn't want to use an admin for fear of people thinking we were flaunting the ability. He picked DP's original username because, quite frankly, we all hate him and didn't think anyone would notice or care. I don't know why he still has that title as the Manager had intended to remove it after experimenting.

I have removed the title. I am by no means attempting to sweep anything "under the rug", since I see that darthpsychotic, being the drama queen he is, has put a screenshot up on his site.

You have a couple of points there, but I'd like to make it clear that no one has ever had any problems with mods insulting serial trolls. I, for one, don't have any problem with people insulting the likes of barry, Servo, etc.

No doubt DP was the one who noticed and decided to cause this big fuss. :rolleyes

The short answer is that the manager who did it wanted someone to experiment on, and we didn't think anyone would notice or care. If the manager who gave him the title wishes to add anything to this, he may, but that's the quick answer until then.

12. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    And that manager couldn't create a sock? Or better yet, use Liz_Skywalker's "May02" sock?

13. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    I wish Internet_Drama would hurry up.

14. Wattowatta

Jan 5, 2000
    You realize-of course-that that is one of the most singular full of crap statements I have ever read?

Honestly, man, there's no excuse at all for that. If you wanted to do a test, you could have at least registered a sock-as suggested above-and not have the title be an immature and derogatory statement such as "Dink." This reflects an incredible amount of "drunkness on power" on the administration's part, and someone really has to take the fall for it.

15. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    What does Dink mean anyway?

16. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    And that manager couldn't create a sock? Or better yet, use Liz_Skywalker's "May02" sock?

You have to post to see the title. A new post would probably be noticed, except in the more remote reaches of FanForce, and if someone in Uruguay just happened to wander into their forum and see a topic called ?Testing, testing, 1, 2, 3? they?d probably be wondering what the heck was going on, deem it spam, and PM a Mod to lock/delete it.

In retrospect, it was probably the better option, but it wasn?t entirely without flaws.

17. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
  18. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    People here are too sensitive.

19. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    No really, what does dink mean?

20. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
  21. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    never mind...

22. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    I think somehow you all will find the strength to pick up the pieces and move on.

23. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    i don't care how annoying a poster might be, the 'dink' was totally uncalled for. i can't believe that was allowed to happen.

24. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    In retrospect, it was probably the better option, but it wasn?t entirely without flaws.

"World's Largest Understatement"

JMA

I think somehow you all will find the strength to pick up the pieces and move on.

Trust a Mod to say that. And you wonder why we complain?

JMA

25. Wattowatta

Jan 5, 2000
    And casually let another abuse of power fly under the rug were "no one will ever notice?" Be a bit more suave next time, Bra. This crap is getting pretty damn annoying, and it's about time it stopped completely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.