main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Repost: OFFENSIVE MISUSE of title ability by the Administration

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Wattowatta, Jun 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    According to the Merrium-Webster online dictionary...

Main Entry: 3dink
    Function: noun
    Etymology: perhaps from dink, disparaging name for a Vietnamese
    Date: 1974
    slang : NITWIT, JERK, NERD

I'd assumed that the Manager in question meant Nitwit, jerk, or nerd. Until this thing came up, I'd never heard it refering to someone Vietnamese before. Must be because I'm Canadian... ?[face_plain]

2. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Any mature individual would have executed this so-called "experiment" upon his/her own title, using something along the lines of "Testing Title Feature" as the text.

It ain't rocket science.

EDIT: I'm American as apple pie and at least half as smart, but I never heard of that definition either, Gandolf.

3. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Good grief man, isn't there something more important to complain about? Like, I dont know, ANYTHING?

4. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001
    I've also never heard "dink" used in that particular way. I always thought it was just a slightly less offensive replacement for "idiot."

Hmmmm...

5. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    exactly, BYOB.

6. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    Lamest. Protest. Ever.

7. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    Nah, I'm sure we can top this one.

8. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    Good grief man, isn't there something more important to complain about? Like, I dont know, ANYTHING?

More important than racial slanders from the mods? Even if he didn't mean it, the mod responsible needs to issue an apology.

JMA

9. GriffZ

May 27, 2001
    So "dink" is considered a racial slur, now?

10. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    if this is the lamest protest ever, then the 'idolization' of any member of the JC (& it's been done) is very stupid.

11. The Bigger Fish

Apr 24, 2000
    I just sent an e-mail to CNN. It should be on soon...

12. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    it means idiot or similar over here. Not that. And most people here would think that. But some people just have this urge to cry about anything that anyone in the administration does.

13. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    So "dink" is considered a racial slur, now?

A form of one, yes. Did you fail to see Gandolf's post?

JMA

But some people just have this urge to cry about anything that anyone in the administration does.

I would tend to agree with you Reaper, but I feel like this is legit. Like I said, even if it wasn't meant like that, an apology is in order.

JMA

14. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    it's too late, i've already sold the story to NBC. the movie will be due in the fall. [face_plain]

15. Wattowatta

Wattowatta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2000
    Semantics aside, the point is that some childish guy in the Mod Squad decided to have a little fun and breached forum rules and human decency in the process. That, ladies and gentlemen, is simply uncalled for.

The fact that more prudent and more legitimate means were not at all explored in this little endeavor-and that the term was left for public sight for a considerable amount of time-shows that the privelige of serving the JC community has apparently been lost on some of the Mod Squad.

Consider it this way: your revenue is coming from people clicking on banner ads, and if people say "enough of this crap, I'm leaving," and depart for various and sundry locales, your revenue source is depleted. That means that the JC goes belly-up, and the Mod Squad is out of jobs.

Think about the big picture for once here, guys, you need us more than we need you. There's always Episode-X or the Slackers Council for us, but there's only the JC for you. There, of course, is that one place where "everyone know's your name" for the admins, but you can't flaunt your power there.

This kind of lame bull can simply not be tolerated, and it's about time it came to a halt altogether.

16. GriffZ

May 27, 2001

[i]A form of one, yes. Did you fail to see Gandolf's post?[/i][hr][/blockquote]Yes, I saw his post. But the reason I asked is because I've been using this word most of my life, so I was very surprised to learn it's considered a racial slur.

17. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    it's too late, i've already sold the story to NBC. the movie will be due in the fall.

starring Leonardo???

18. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    I read my post. The dictionary I consulted said that dink was possibly derived from the name source as a slur, and that it?s actual meaning was nitwit.

19. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    So where do you think we should draw the line, Fish? If mods like this are allowed to get away with one thing, they'll walk all over you sooner or later. Who wants that?

20. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    Your revenue is coming from people clicking on banner ads, and if people say "enough of this crap, I'm leaving," and depart for various and sundry locales, your revenue source is depleted.

Mods get revenue? ?[face_plain]

21. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    The fact that more prudent and more legitimate means were not at all explored in this little endeavor-and that the term was left for public sight for a considerable amount of time-shows that the privelige of serving the JC community has apparently been lost on some of the Mod Squad. Your revenue is coming from people clicking on banner ads, and if people say "enough of this crap, I'm leaving," and depart for various and sundry locales, your revenue source is depleted. That means that the JC goes belly-up, and the Mod Squad is out of jobs.

Think about the big picture for once here, guys.

Id rather think of a picture that actually matters, thanks :)

22. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    semantics aside, i agree w/ you Wattowatta.

23. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    I thought the "Dinks" were those little Jawa-like characters from Spaceballs: The Movie...

24. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    I read my post. The dictionary I consulted said that dink was possibly derived from the name source as a slur, and that it?s actual meaning was nitwit.

I'm just emphasising here :)

25. The Bigger Fish

Apr 24, 2000
    Ok, so the term is offensive to Vietnamese. Have any Vietnamese complained? Or are you just getting hysterical for the hell of it?

BYOB: So this is your idea of a brave stand against the evil admins? Couldn't have picked a more convincing topic?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.