main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Republic #68: Armor

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediTrilobite, May 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Just noticed that they chose the best depiction of the Noghri in any source anywhere, ever, to use for this issue -- very happy about that. (I adore the DFR art.) Simply superb. Can't wat to see Jan bring them to life.

-Paul

2. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    It doesn't look to be Trihexalon, but an entirely new Hex weapon.

From what I can make out it looks like Trihexaloph_____ Defoliant.

But I can't make out the letters behind the letters that appear to be ph. The next letter might be an "a".

This is like the 3rd known Hex weapon.

Dihexalon was in Jedi Quest.

Trihexalon was in Jedi Starfighter.

Now this one.

[image=http://images.darkhorse.com/common/salestools/previews/swonrep68/swonrep68p1.jpg]

3. Ganner_The_Hero

Ganner_The_Hero Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2003
    I think it says Trihexalophince1138.Defoliant.

4. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    there's definatley a 1138 in there.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Interesting- so it's a new Hex weapon then? I guess that makes the events of JSF more meaningful (in that they prevented further use of trihexalon by the seps).

6. jfostrander

jfostrander Writer: -Legacy -Republic/Jedi/Purge star 4 VIP

Jul 16, 2001
    Trihexalophince1138

and for you folks playing at home, the GL reference if TriHeXalophince1138

THX 1138

Just for grins.<g>

-- John

7. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    THX 1138 sure makes its rounds in star wars doesn't it, ;).

Does this make the 5th or 6th refrence (I'm sure I'm overlooking others)?

Its also actually good that it wasn't Trihexalon, because the effects of Trihexalon are a whole lot worse than the weapon shown in the comic preview. As shown in Jedi Starfighter Trihexalon causes instaneous molecular/atomic (both terms get used in the game) disintegration. A tiny vial can kill 300 wookies, and leave no bodies in a matter of seconds.

Essentially noghri and Jedi wouldn't be able to walk around in it if had been Dragon's Breath, without there being a continuity error.

While Toth had special suits that could block the effects of trihexalon, I doubt the clone troopers have such a luxury, and the Jedi wouldn't have been able to resist it for very long most likely.

Also insider said that a cure had been discovered for it (most likely an innoculation). That would prevent its affects.

8. Exar_Xan

Exar_Xan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 29, 2001
    I cant see the THX1138 reference, where is it exactly?

9. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Tri for T

Hex for H

heX for X

1138 for 1138

10. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    There was another one dropped in the pages of Michael Reaves' Shadow Hunter book, delivered by none other than I-Five (p. 91):

[...]

"So the scam transfer went all right?" he asked I-Five.

"For the seventh time, yes, it went all right. We have precisely one hour and twenty-six minutes before it's discovered and rectified by the auditor droids. Perhaps another four minutes before they are able to pinpoint the location of the credit tab and, depending on how busy the local police are, anywhere from six to fourteen minutes before they arrive to take the bearer of the tab into custody for attempted grand theft and illegal use of communication protocols THX-one-one-three -- "

11. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    There were a couple in the movies, IIRC, one in star tours, the one in Reave's book, this one. I'm probably overlooking a few others.

Is it me or is that phrase one of the most commonly used numbers in the GFFA?

It's up there with someone having the combination on their suitcase being 1-2-3-4-5.

12. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Random thought of the day: is Trihexalon a veiled reference to the number of the Beast? You know, three sixes... and all...

Ahem.

13. Exar_Xan

Dec 29, 2001
    Yes I do get that Valiento, but it isnt in a pic or written in the text blurbs in the preview right?

Very nice one in Shadowhunter, I cannot recall that one. There is also one in Shadows of the Empire and Jedi Academy novels.

14. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Try reading the first text box of the preview picture I linked to...

"Trihexalon a veiled reference to the number of the Beast?"

Between that and it being called "Dragon's Breath". The Beast AKA The Devil AKA the Dragon, you are probably onto something.

However it apparently also has something to do with the shape of the molecules its made up of?

Dihex, trihex, etc.

There was also;

Tricorrinium Hexifluorine
    this was a hazardous by-product of the environmental systems used to maintain the ecosystem of the planet Coruscant. (HNN)

Another TriHex chemical I guess?

15. Exar_Xan

Dec 29, 2001
    This is an excerpt from page 336 of the book Shadows of the Empire, fourth paragraph. It's the part where Luke and friends attack the six guards outside the sewage plant while trying to rescue Leia. "From the comlink came a tinny voice: "Thix? What is going on down there? Thix? Come in Sector one-one-three-eight, come in-"

Jedi Search~1994 - (Kevin J. Anderson) THX-1138 can be found in Jedi Search. On page 31, Wedge keys in the code "SGW 0027" to shut down a construction droid. SGW 0027 is a simple one-letter/number transposition from THX 1138: letter after S is T, letter after G is H, letter after W is X, number after 0 is 1, and so on.

Valiento: I can see it now. Its a damn shame those preview pics arent a bit bigger sized so that we can read them normally.

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Is it me or is that phrase one of the most commonly used numbers in the GFFA?<<

That and "327" (docking bay 327... landing platform 327...)

17. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    because 1138 shows up so often, it must seem to be against the odds... and perhaps that's why corellians have no use for odds...

18. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    In The Thrawn Trilogy, didn't the toxin only affect plant matter? I'm just making sure that's what happened, and that's what's going on with the toxin in the comic.

It would also further express the fact that this is not exactly the same as the Trihexalon from the Jedi Starfighter game.

19. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Yeah it killed all the plant life, which is why those droids were there supposedly, to refertilize the land. We all know they didn't though...

20. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Wedge-

The comic calls this new Hex weapon a defoliant which means it's designed to destroy plant life. Pretty cool job ostrander did.

21. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    There were a couple in the movies, IIRC, one in star tours, the one in Reave's book, this one. I'm probably overlooking a few others.

As Exar showed, there are probably a great deal more, between all the books, comics, RPG material, and so on.

Come to think of it, that'd be a cool project for one of you fast readers: a complete database of every THX 1138 reference. In fact, there are a bunch in non-Star Wars material that could be included as well.

22. Exar_Xan

Dec 29, 2001
    Cooper: count me in on this project. I have a great friend that has a website filled with SW references, including the obvious 1138 in all kinds of media. The website is: http://www.nerf-herders-anonymous.net

Anyway I am going to make a topic for this now, lets hope we all come with lots of references, even some that my friends website doesnt have yet.

PS Yes I am the Sander she thanks.

23. Ph0enix

Ph0enix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2002
    Looks like they've given Bly markings on the cover-

[image=http://images.darkhorse.com/covers/13/13082.jpg]

He was just plain before-
    [image=http://www.galactichunter.com/absoluteNm/articlefiles/2756-StarWarsRepublic68.jpg]

They also added yellow markings in the preview which weren't there days ago...

24. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    Excellent, excellent stuff. DH have come a long way from when they corrected such an error [Biggs in the TIE fighter] with an ugly "editor's note".

25. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Um, I don't think that was intended as a "correction". They depicted the helmets as such knowing full well it was wrong; how could they not have? They only put the editor's note in so no one would have grounds to call it an error. Though it obviously didn't work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.