main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Republic #83: The Hidden Enemy, part 3 (of 3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ph0enix, Aug 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yes, the last few pages jump ahead 8 months.

2. QuinineVos

QuinineVos Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 16, 2005
    There is an epilogue, [hl=black]but it does not show the birth. It skips ahead 8 months to when Quin & Khaleen are reunited, and the baby is already born. We don't actually see Villie & Quin escape: Villie burns a dead Clone's body but tells the other Clones that it's Quin. Then we flash forward 8 months. One thought I have is why would the Clones believe Villie?[/hl]

3. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    Really enjoyed this issue. A great ending to a great series.

I never figured out how you can cover up text for spoilers. How is that done?

4. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    You post it with the highlight function.

Like this: [ hl=black]Highlighted text here[/hl] but without that first space. :)

- Keralys

5. QuinineVos

Jun 16, 2005
    There is also a highlight toolbar, which will perform the function automatically, right above the text as you compose your post message. In the highlight dropdown menu go to black and click and the begin highlight and end highlight functions will appear. Just put your text between them and you're all set.

6. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Geez, Pipes... :p

[hl=black]Good issue, I definetly see a set up for the new TV show in this. I was of the belief that Vos should have died, but if Lucas has definite plans for him, I'm all for it.[/hl] Kudos to EVERYONE (not just John and Jan) who made Republic (all the way back to just "Star Wars") into what it was, the best series we've seen in a long time. Thanks for all the stories. =D=

7. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    Thanks.

And hey, I haven't been up on the internal followings of this forum in a long time. :p

[hl=black]Anyway, like I said I really enjoyed it. It's probably pushing it to keep Vos alive but I've grown to like the character so much over the years that I don't mind. I'm glad he survived. So long as he doesn't get like Ferus the Twit, it's cool. God, I hate Ferus.

I got a kick out of the clone troopers response to Villie's inquiry as to whether he would get a reward for killing Vos. "A reward, yeah. We won't shoot you."

A Vader vs Vos series would be pretty cool.[/hl]

Congratulations to Jon and Jan and everyone involved with this series.

8. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    [hl=black]The flashbacks were lovely, especially how they were worked in to the evasion. I thought the Yoda and Dooku ones were best - the Mace one had some odd panels.

What I personally find hilarious is that Tholme and T'ra and Khaleen managed to evade the Jedi hunters when Khaleen's brought her usual shimmery "Hey, look at me!" magenta (I suppose it could work for maternity wear) and the other two brought their Jedi robes. Okay, I'm pretty sure they weren't wearing them on the trip, but still, it's a funny thought. (and I'm sorry, that woman did not have a baby within the last few months. Just no ;p). Interesting to see that Quin is back in his Sep chic! I missed the YOW breastplate :)

If Korto grows up with his mother's addiction to shiny purple, I will laugh so hard....
    [/hl]:p

9. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    This might shed extra light on the reason why the Quin scene in RotS got cut.

Maybe George wants to keep him on retainer...

[face_thinking]

[hl=black]>>>I missed the YOW breastplate<<<[/hl]

[hl=black]"YOW" is actually Vos in Aurebesh. ;)[/hl]

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yes, a huge, standing ovation and THANK YOU to John, Jan and everyone else who made the Republic series so outstanding. "It will be a series long remembered."

=D= =D= =D=

11. QuinineVos

Jun 16, 2005
    I'm gonna miss Republic :_| I've only been following it steadily since issue # 69, but I've read everything that I missed (although have only found parts of Infinity's End and never read Star Crash; also missing part 2 of "Honor & Duty," but that will soon be addressed). So long to what has been the undisputed highlight of Star Wars comics. [face_peace]

12. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    [hl=black]so Vos survived? that's great![/hl] i have to get the issue sometime. i really see an expanded role for his character in the TV show and future novels possibly

13. IG-13

IG-13 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 13, 2005
    Pretty good issue. Hate to see Republic end, but like they say "all good things come to an end."

But...[hl=black]am I the only one who thinks Quin should have died? I mean, I do like the character...but I just feel it would have been more fitting for him to go out in a blaze of glory. Ending his story right after Faie blasted him in the chest would have been great IMO. Part of what makes Star Wars cool is that there isn't always a happy ending. And this issue definitely had that generic "puppy dogs and ice cream" ending. Quin should have died. [/hl]

14. QuinineVos

Jun 16, 2005
    I would argue that in the context of the Order 66 era that surrounds it, just the opposite is true. The generic endings in terms of the ROTS chronology have become the "all is lost, the Jedi are extinct, there is no hope, everybody's dead" type. [hl=black]It's surprising and gives some variation on the monotony that Quin, Tholme & T'ra survive and have each other. And it's not as if their lives will be so rosy or easy. They will likely have to spend the rest of their days as fugitives in the shadows, hiding from the law[/hl]

15. snelson

snelson Jedi Master star 4

Aug 21, 2005
    quin t'ra khaleen and tholme living togheter i hope they help the rebellion i hope they appear in lof and have quin and tholme die. tra should be alive when cade is alive

16. Funky_Admiral_Piett

Funky_Admiral_Piett Jedi Youngling

Feb 7, 2006
    Just a thought...

Republic dies today at 83 issues. Some say this falls short of Marvel's 107 issues (plus 3 annuals and the 4-issue ROTJ series). However, consider:

83 issues of Republic
    5 issues of Jedi
    5 issues of Obsession
    4 issues of Jedi Council
    1 Jango Fett Special
    1 Zam Wassell Special
    4 issues of Jedi Quest
    4 issues of Jango Fett: Open Seasons
    4 issues of The Phantom Menace
    6 issues of Attack of the Clones
    4 issues of Revenge of the Sith
    1 issue of Purge
    4 issues of General Grievous

= 122 comics. (And I forget how many Obi Wan & Qui Gon specials there were.) Republic wins.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, but of all those, only Jedi, Obsession and Purge could really be argued as "being part" of the Republic series.

18. QuinineVos

Jun 16, 2005
    Yes, there were two Qui Gon & Obi-Wan specials, "Last Stand At Ord Mantell" (4 issues) and "The Aurorient Express" (2 issues). Plus, if you really wanted to stretch the definition (and I think you have a point, 2ndQ, that only Jedi, Obsession, and Purge really have the same feel and themes as Republic, although certainly the topics were more variable in the early days of the series-Jedi Quest could fit in to the series as well, certainly as "Star Crash," for instance) you could include "Nomad" a looong story from the last four issues of Tales.

19. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    Plus the Free Comic Day issue that was included with Obsession in the TPB.

20. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    [hl=black]YEEEHHAA thx that all my predictions were wrong! great spoilers! thx Jan&john!!! that gives me back my hope for LEGACY comics... with Vos offspring maybe as cameo :p[/hl]

21. ForceSynaesthesia

ForceSynaesthesia Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2005
    i haven't read the last issue yet, i can't wait though. I can say that i've been a reader since issue 1, not counting the Prelude to Rebellion, i read those later, and i never liked them too much. But Outlander and beyond i've been reading religiously, they are in my opinion the best comics. The best arcs were the Quin stories, second followed by Hett, I do hope they do a followup treatment to Hett's character. maybe they can both be in the tv series. Also, i do hope we see Saa in the Legacy series. that would be cool.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Jedi Quest could fit in to the series as well, certainly as "Star Crash," for instance<<

Though Starcrash may feel seperate, it IS a numbered issue within the Republic series, whereas JQ is not and is more of a stand alone along the lines of Crossbones or Open Season or, really, the Q&O books.

23. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Was there a purrpose to Starcrash? :confused:

24. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    No...

But it had a Jedi named Yoshi. It was more on the fantasy side of Star Wars, IMO.

25. Funky_Admiral_Piett

Funky_Admiral_Piett Jedi Youngling

Feb 7, 2006
    The AOTC and ROTS comic adaptions count. Quin and Aayla were in both, and Villie was also in AOTC (which was drawn by Jan Duursema).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.