main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Republic Leadership Questions

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by DarthTravis, May 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthTravis

DarthTravis Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2004
    Did the Republic ever have an army pre-Clone Wars, or were the Jedi the sole protectors of the Galaxy? Did the Jedi serve as an army?

If so, who were the leaders, was there a "Commander In Cheif" of their forces?

Any info on the matter would be appreciated...

2. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    Good question, I too am curious! :D

3. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    The impression I got was that if they'd had an army, it was centuries in the past. Padmé seemed to imply this in various dialogue opposing the military creation act.

4. UrbanJedi

UrbanJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 1999
    I'm pretty sure (although I have no reference to back me up) that each individual system, or group of systems had their own defense force. They relied on the Jedi as a sort of cross between Ambassador and U.S. Marshall. Hope that makes some sense.

5. _JM_

_JM_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    They had a navy in the 4000 Pre-ANH Tales of the Jedi period and it said in The Sith War that the Foerost shipyard had been producing ships for the fleet of the Galactic Republic for centuries. Indidvidual systems also had their own military forces.

More recently to the prequels there was of course the Judicial Department with their spiffy uniforms that only need rank insignia, IJN style caps, and to be a different colour to be that of the Imperial Starfleet (and which since Pellaeon?s career started with him joining the Judicial Department probably became the basis of the Imperial Starfleet). :)
    Although they were police rather than navy this is a little artificial a distinction as they and their ships were armed since they had to intercept and arrest or destroy pirates and smugglers.

Armies though I don?t know.
    Republic might have had the same attitude as was traditional in Britain to regard the Royal Navy as being good because it kept the sea lanes open for trade and protected Britain from invasion but a professional standing Army as bad because it could be used as an instrument to oppress the people.
    So was fine for the Republic to have a large Judicial Department but to make an Army (as opposed to a Navy) was a controversial step. :)

6. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    In the comic "The Stark Hyperspace War", a member of the Tarkin family produced a kind of army, although it was more or less illegal. However, that kind of army was "used" by the involved republic parties (including some Jedi).

It's even Pre-TPM.

7. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    They had a small one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.