main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

2. Art Challenges / Events currently running:

The Empire Strikes Back 40th Anniversary Banner Contest - Winner Announced!

The Art Banner Saga - Open till September

Artist Repurposed Materials Crafting

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Johnny7oak, May 19, 2019.

1. Johnny7oak

Johnny7oak Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2019
    I've done a few of these. You never have to actually buy a model if you cut them out of cereal boxes and packaging. I get told that the x wing is a bit different than mine, but basically you cut the pieces yourself and glue them together. Then, if you want to paint them you can. I think my ti-fighter looks simplistic, but it opens to fit a lego guy in it. The X wing look alikes all have a space for an R2 unit and pilot. One even has a closing flight window. I didn't paint that one. I suppose I could glue together a starship. I did some for other sci-fi shows. You cut out the shape of the ship one slice of the ship at a time. I recommend if you do the Millennium Falcon you would cut your sections and stack them from the middle to bottom then middle to top. The next thing you do is cover the ship with single ply cardboard and attach detailing pecies out of that material then you want to probably cover the cardboard with brown paper you can get from a craft store. I noticed that the satellite dish is probably best to do separate. My suggestion is to put in a q-tip into the cardboard and attach it at the end. also do the cockpit half-way and single ply it from the middle so that the window shows at the top half of the ship. You can also use a cutting tool to cut plastic from a plastic box you sometimes get in packaging or otherwise clear plastic material and glue it in above the cockpit.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    teamhansolo likes this.
  2. Johnny7oak

Johnny7oak Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2019
    I'm debating on cardboard cuts. Corregated cardboard requires a sharp blade. And I don't want to spook the neighbors by cutting pecies with a knife... So planned but delayed. I need a couple boxes in good condition too. I will probably make the cuts at night. If the blade gets dull, the cardboard tares. The insert on frozen pizza is pretty much what I got for cardboard.. on the plus side it cuts with scissors, but you have to wipe it off with a rag or a sponge. Then let it dry. It is narrow cardboard comparatively. I usually just use it to line an old pizza pan and then paint and mix colors. Sometimes I also use it as a gluing surface I can easily discard. You probably have to use a pizza pan that is not needed any more. For instance my pan can never go back in the oven but I had bought a new one and didn't need it anymore. I think it was used alot and might be useful for puzzle pieces sorting more than pizza.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    teamhansolo likes this.
  3. teamhansolo

teamhansolo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Sounds cool! Maybe try and upload some pictures :)