main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Rereading the Aftermath Trilogy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Jun 21, 2022.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Alright, as I fell behind with COVID, I shall take this back forward.

Chapter One

The best part about this is more Wedge.

The most terrifying thing about this, is more Wedge.

New vistas, new continuities. Wedge is a fan-favourite, but that's Legends.

He's been to Florrum, Ryloth, Hinari, Abafar, Raydonia. In typical cartography fashion, I took it that Akiva was in the southern galaxy. (It's not).

One of the more vexing things is that it suggests the Empire has basically dissolved, and they're hunting down Imperial bases in the Outer Rim after all, and they've almost instantly moved to the Rebels having to find the Imperial supply lines. It's very reminiscent of post-Endor under the original Marvel run, though again its impossible to not compare the two.

It's short, sharp, sentences, and paragraphs, as ever, and then we have our I thoughts and here we go. Fly casual, eh? Let's make those references.

Mon Mothma, Ackbar and Chandrila get name-dropped, and then Lando, who supplied the ID that gets Wedge picked up by two Star Destroyers.

We shift to Rae Sloane, and she's already doing a Pellaeon monologue about Imperial quality. It does feel a little rushed as at most we know it's been months since Endor, not gonna lie. I was very surprised. This is before we had Cinder and even Jakku to reference, from memory.

Rae herself actually comes across competent, and threatening, and Wedge powers down. Nifty.

We get another reference to half-trained Imperials, Stormtroopers, this time, and we get the feeling of a competent Sloane commanding nincompoops. It's almost comedic, notwithstanding that Wedge just fake blew up himself and real blew up a bunch of recruits rushed out of the Academy to die.

Rae isn't distracted, and the hunt is on.

I had a mild heart-attack that Wedge had killed himself, mind you. Be sure to count the number of heart attacks this gives me for Wedge because it's a running theme.

CHAPTER TWO WILL BE NEXT WEDGE-NESDAY (GET IT), AND I WILL RELIGIOUSLY UPDATE ON WEDGE-NESDAYS HEREAFTER.

Corellia's Dream, AusStig and Ramza like this.
  2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I remember being so excited when Wedge showed up in the first real chapter. "Oh man, can't wait to read about Wedge in this sparkling new continuity. It's a new Wedge frontier. Gonna be Wedge central in this Aftermath trilogy let's ****ing go!"

I was not as disappointed as some folks were about to be, buuuuuut...

Edit: And in an ironic reversal from where I ended up, I was initially pretty excited about Rae Sloane, because I love an interesting Imperial officer antagonist. By the end I was less enthusiastic, as it felt like she kept getting lucky, she was showing up everywhere, and she was of course the tired, tired cliché of the good Nazi honorable Imperial. Also, for whatever reason there's a whiff of Poochie about her, which is distinctive in a book with a bunch of original characters who do not have that Poochie smell.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
  3. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    IMO, Sloane is a deconstruction of this archetype. Ultimately she is not much better than Rax, attack on Chandrila is a good example of it - she was ok with ambush during the peace negotiations, her disagreement with Rax methods is born from hubris rather than from honor.

4. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    She’s a multifaceted infinity of extractable interpretations occurring within the text, mitigated by our language structures and historical context?

:p

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
    MercenaryAce, Vialco and Foreign32567 like this.
  5. Darth Winzer

Darth Winzer Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2022

Insert Gilad Pellaeon. An Imperial officer who often went happily along with his commanders committing galaxy wide atrocities. But years later(Hand if Thrawn Era) now that he's the Supreme Commander finds himself much more reluctant to act in any way dishonorable, even to his opponents.

Nevermind that it's during Pellaeon's attempts to surrender the war that he finds his redemption. The point is that his honorable behavior, and his growth as a leader and character are exciting and rewarding to follow.

Sloane doesn't seem to grow throughout the novels, except more bitter.

QuinlanSolo likes this.
  6. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I’d have to search around for it, but I seem to recall Wendig himself invited Thrawn/Pellaeon comparisons with Rae/Rax.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  7. FS26

FS26 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 8, 2018
    I like Sloane as a tragic figure exactly because she doesn’t learn, because she is given the chance to find redemption, to realize the evil of the empire, but ends up holding on to her delusional view that she can build a truly honorable empire.

While nothing has been confirmed, her dying at the hands of dark siders more honest with themselves (Snoke, Hux, Pryde) would be a good bookend for her character

8. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    Ever since I first read Aftermath, I found the following passage from Ch. 1 intriguing:

Of course, you can read it in a boring way as "the Separatists were mostly based in the Outer Rim, and Sidious did most of his dirty work during the Clone Wars through them" (or maybe you have some other similar reading), but what if it's pointing to something deeper? Maybe the Empire wasn't just what the Republic became, by Senate acclamation, maybe there were some secret facilities forming a deep state of bureaucrats (or some other kind of acolytes) established in the Outer Rim during the Clone Wars, which were then incorporated into / took over the Empire. I wonder what Wendig intended.

Some previous discussion of this (that I found through board search): here, here, here

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
  9. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    @Xammer

Very interesting observation, and one that I totally missed when I read the book. I think Wendig is referencing Kamino. The clone army was the point of no return for the Republic. It’s what turned them into a de facto Empire years before they became one by law. The ships and weapons were all already easily accessible. But it was the army that made the difference, that fought the wars, that controlled the systems. For all the attention ships and weapons get, it is the actual soldiers that made any of it happen.

It’s also an allusion to the First Order’s eventual rise. That’s an army that grew outside the core in every sense. This trilogy is setting up the seeds for the First Order, not just with the Imperial refugees but also with the vague references to the power of the dark side also originating in the unknown systems of the galaxy.

AusStig and Sinrebirth like this.
  10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    You could make the argument that the militarization that occurred in the Outer Rim during the Clone Wars is a more telling model of the normal Imperial structure of government than the declining Republic, which was more decadent and debate focused, a trait that took decades to "phase out" in the Core Worlds. When the local governors take direct control in ANH they've finally done away with the last pretenses that this is anything other than a military modeled regime with a command hierarchy.

11. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    It also has to be remembered what the 1st book was labelled as "Journey to The Force Awakens," so in essence it's preparing a galaxy ruled by the FO.

AusStig and Xammer like this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Not really, as that's more TLJ not TFA. They were so spoiler afraid that Aftermath had massive restrictions on it, as Life Debt showed.

AusStig and Ramza like this.
  13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I think in general they were too wedded to the idea that they needed to have material filling in the gaps (for marketing purposes) before anyone even knew what the gaps looked like. If we posit a scenario where the Aftermath trilogy are all almost the exact same books, but with the natural changes that would result had LFL not had Wendig start writing until post-TRoS, I think the whole trilogy ends up stronger.

Ginkasa and Jedi Ben like this.
  14. FS26

FS26 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 8, 2018
    I read that as him talking about the military administration that was created during/aftermath of the Clone Wars, e.g. governors without any democratic oversight, etc. Afterall, Tarkin, who was the poster child of imperial style of government, was made Grandmoff of the Outer Rim. Also, all kinds of republic/imperial military projects began in the Outer Rim (Clone Army, Stormtroopers, Death Star)

Xammer and Ramza like this.
  15. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    It is interesting to think back on, but yeah it really felt like Sloane was showing up all over the place back then, but then at some point she just suddenly vanishes in new media, and Star Wars Squadrons is her only recent appearance I can remember.

AusStig and Jedi Ben like this.
  16. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    She was even in the ESB A Certain POV. I think now I could see her pop up in one of the live-action shows.

17. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    On on the 2nd book now, and yeah, Sloane is all over the place in this series. It makes me want to read other things she's in, especially A New Dawn.

I do love the deep friendship Sinjir and Jas have formed.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
  18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I imagine she'll turn up in FACPOV ROTJ... which should be next year?

Xammer and SWpants like this.
  19. FS26

FS26 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 8, 2018
    Would make sense, since in canon she takes command of the imperial fleet after the Executor goes down and orders the retreat

Xammer likes this.
  20. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    That would make sense! I wouldn’t be surprised to see a snippet of Han and Leia’s wedding as noted in this trilogy, unless that has been addressed in a book I haven’t read.

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I think that’s in that upcoming hotel tie-in book.

22. Fettster

Fettster Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 7, 2003
    SWpants likes this.
  23. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    So she's like the new Pellaeon.

Vialco likes this.
  24. Corellia's Dream

Corellia's Dream Jedi Knight

Jun 30, 2018
    One of the thing's I've found maddening about Aftermath in particular, from this trilogy, is the sheer number of fake deaths. So many times do characters end up presumed or apparently dead, only to survive. Sometimes it's only a paragraph or two, before we find out they survived, but when skip-reading through again recently, I was just starting to get bored with how often it was happening.

AusStig likes this.
  25. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    @GrandAdmiralJello

:p