main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Resistance 1.01-1.02 - The Recruit - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Oct 6, 2018.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Oct 22, 2018.
  1. 10

9.1%
  2. 9

6.1%
  3. 8

31.8%
  4. 7

25.8%
  5. 6

16.7%
  6. 5

3.0%
  7. 4

3.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

4.5%
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Episodes 1.01-1.02!!
    The Recruit
    -------------------------------------

Discussion of New Episodes - Rules
    (1) One of the mods will post each week's episode thread a few days before it airs on Disney XD.

(2) Discussion in the actual episode thread will be limited to that specific episode, NOT future episodes; past episodes may be referenced.

(3) Resistance episodes air on Sunday at 10:00 pm ET on Disney XD. Anyone who catches an episode streaming before then must use spoiler tags. After that folks will begin discussing their reviews and thoughts which will likely include spoilers. To anyone concerned about being spoiled before watching the episode it is your responsibility to avoid the thread until you have had your chance to view.

(4) Spoilers like character deaths, appearances, and major plot details must be spoiler tagged in the new episode thread prior to the episode television air date.

(5) Do not post any preview video clips from the individual episode in the episode threads.

(6) Official episode commentary may be posted in this episode thread.

(7) Do not discuss future episodes in here.

(8) Reviews for each episode may be posted once they have aired. One of the mods will add a grading poll to that episode's discussion thread.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    So it starts again.

3. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    I said it in the series thread but I loved it. It’s different from TCW and Rebels but still feels Star Wars. No spoilers just general thoughts.

The animation is fantastic - there are heaps of alien models so you don’t get crowds of repeating Rodians and there’s some nice depth to it. Rebels at times felt barren even when in city settings but this feels vibrant. Great use of colour and matte like paintings.

Characters are interesting and appear to make reasonable decisions. Looking forward to watching them grow over the next 21 episodes.

I think the first sneak peak trailer did a massive disservice to itself. There are small moments of slapstick but overall the tone appears to played more straight than Rebels which for me is a good thing.

I’ll wait till more people see the episode before discussing spoilers

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  4. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    This is one of the first things I noticed...they ponied up the duckets to make plenty of models of people up front.

5. Sandtrooper956

Sandtrooper956 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2015
    Watching the first few episodes I noticed a lot of the minor characters appeared in the background all over the place - even when they weren’t the focus. I thought that was really cool and really helps make the collossus feel like the same place every episode.

6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Yup. All that persistent background color made the Collossus feel like the true heir to the Cantina or Jabba’s sail barge. There’s also just a lot more personality to this show than last ones. Little things like that alien at the bar that offers to live with Kaz. To risk using a cliche, it really feels more lived-in than either Rebels or TCW.

7. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    While I enjoyed the episode...I do have a plot gripe...

The Resistance recruits a pilot with no intelligence training to work as an intelligence agent....get him a cover as a mechanic when he has no mechanical aptitude....and put him in the field with no real assets to help in his mission like some cash and equipment.

8. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    all of the bothans died so they had to send Kaz.

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    My question would be, how was Kaz able to join the Resistance? He was with a squadron in the New Republic right? He was able to go AWOL with no problems?

Etav Byx, GunganSlayer and cwustudent like this.
  10. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Tell you what, I liked it. For as hesitant as I was about the animation, it's good. Especially the flight sequences. Certainly the most detailed environments of all the series so far. I think any age could enjoy it.

Jedi Daniel, Trikuza23 and Outsourced like this.
  11. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    Well, this was certainly a good way to start the series off. It did a good job of introducing at least all of the main characters we needed to meet up front, and seting up a couple of things for the future, which is what a good first episode is supposed to do.

Interestingly, the animation style didn't take nearly as long for me to get used to it as I thought it would. Maybe they did a bit of polishing on it between the trailers and the finished product but at the end of the day I think it works. It's just another way of telling a story and that's perfectly fine.

I did like the setup, and i do like the premise. Ace pilots with no war to fight so they're out in the middle of nowhere racing to stay in practice, and earn money to pass the time. Granted, I think Poe's judgment in recruiting Kaz in the first place leaves a little to be desired, but maybe The Resistance is at a point where they'll take anybody they can get.

The races are good, and inhabitants of the platform are interesting to watch. I'm glad to see at least one half of Fodesinbeed (the Greg Proops half) is still getting work doing what he loves. Ok, ok, so it's actually some character called Jak Sivrak, but can you really imagine at this point anybody calling a race in Star Wars that isn't voiced by Greg Proops?

I will say, quite honestly, though, I wasn't sure about Kaz at first. In fact for most of the episode he seems a bit too... ...uhm... ...caffinated I think is a good word. Ezra had a certain energy to him at the start of Rebels, but Kaz seems like he's running on about twenty shots of espresso. However, I will say I was glad to get at least a little explanation into why he seems to be like that and why he seems to have the attitude he has. He has an interesting background, being the son of a senator that seems like he's had everything handed to him, and yet that doesn't really strike me as the sort that would run off to join the resistance. Although I think after the conversation he had with his father, it's likely he did it purely to rebel, ironically enough. I really hope much of this series involves him being brought down to earth as it were, and maybe have a little less coffee in the morning.

Overall, though, I think this first episode did enough to keep me engaged and nearly all the other characters where interesting enough to make me eager to learn more about them, their backgrounds and their place in the galaxy.

I'm definitely going to continue on and eagerly await what is to come.

12. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    I thought it was all right. I love the look of the Colossus and everything about it. The premiere had its moments but I wasn't feeling some of the story. Not as explosive as it should have been I guess. They REALLY need to dial it back with Kaz though. I can't imagine watching a show like this where the main character acts like that every episode.

I agree he has an interesting background though that I hope the show puts to go use. But yeah, how is he allowed to go AWOL from the New Republic Navy?

Jedi Daniel and TetsuAero like this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Now I was skeptical about the show. more thean I ever was for TCW or Rebels, but Dave and the Team have proven me wrong. I really liked the show. It made me laugh which is always a plus. I think this show has te hardest names to remember though. It was great to see some old aliens in the new era and I just liked the whole feel of the show. I am excited to see where the show goes.

14. TetsuAero

TetsuAero Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    Talespin was a show just like that, ha ha. I don't recommend rewatching it.

Anyway i loved the episodes. Srangely it felt like the space battle was very clunky while the aerial flying was much better performed.
    I'm gonna follow this with great interest.

Trikuza23 likes this.
  15. Merric

Merric Jedi Master star 3

Jan 26, 2013
    I couldn't agree more. My brother and I were binge watching the episodes that came out and every time we saw a background character we like showed up, we would both shamelessly go, "There they are!". It's so nice just seeing the background characters going about their daily lives. There's really is a lot of heart put into this show, even with little things like that.

I'm so glad that the show has blown away my expectations so far. It's not only good, it's great. I'm already more invested in this show and it's characters way more than I ever were for the Rebel's characters.

Trikuza23 likes this.
  16. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    The setup to get Kaz into the story seems to just be there to have the plot element about dropping the info on the FO. Don't really know why it had to be exactly that. It would've been better if he was just some random courier. I guess the dad will also play into the story later on since he is a senator. He is probably going to be a FO spy.

There have to be some connections or else this is just sloppy.

And Neeku is worst than Jar Jar.

GunganSlayer and cwustudent like this.
  17. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Could Kaz have some disability?
    Could his behaviour be related to some kind of condition?

18. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Neeko is my only detraction from the show so far. I’ve enjoyed him so far but hoping he develops into a character with motivations and goals and not just a punchline or set up to a joke.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  19. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    1. Oh he just oozes Ezra.
    2. Will Yeager be Kanan?
    2. When they make a video game of the show it's going to have those annoying levels where you have to flay through the rings.
    I hate those levels.

GunganSlayer likes this.
  20. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Another mess for daddy to clean up.

21. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I thought it was a really fun episode and good start to the series! definitely had a younger kid vibe feel to it like 10 years old or younger but any age can enjoy it! the Animation was spot on and as has been brought up in the thread lots of different aliens in the background so there they got Rebels beat! I cant wait to see how this show grows and where it goes from here...

22. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    "Don't just stand there. After him!"

After watching all three episodes, I give it fifth place in the rankings, just behind Scooby Doo and Wacky Races.

23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Grading poll is live.
    Have you watched "The Recruit" yet? Did you like it? Did you hate it? Did you not give a **** at all? Let us know.
    Click your grade and if you want, be a critic and let us know why!
    Note: This poll will close two weeks from now.​

24. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    8/10

Kaz needs way less caffeine in his diet, but otherwise it was a good setup with interesting characters and I'm really looking forward to getting to know these people better.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  25. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    6/10

Slow start but once we get to Collosus and the inevitable movie cameos are sent packing, a good solid start - something to build on.