main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Resistance 1.03 - The Triple Dark - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Oct 7, 2018.

Tags:
?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Oct 22, 2018.
  1. 10

3.2%
  2. 9

6.5%
  3. 8

12.9%
  4. 7

35.5%
  5. 6

19.4%
  6. 5

9.7%
  7. 4

9.7%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

3.2%
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Episode 1.03!!
    The Triple Dark

-------------------------------------

Discussion of New Episodes - Rules
    (1) One of the mods will post each week's episode thread a few days before it airs on Disney XD.

(2) Discussion in the actual episode thread will be limited to that specific episode, NOT future episodes; past episodes may be referenced.

(3) Resistance episodes air on Sunday at 10:00 pm ET on Disney XD. Anyone who catches an episode streaming before then must use spoiler tags. After that folks will begin discussing their reviews and thoughts which will likely include spoilers. To anyone concerned about being spoiled before watching the episode it is your responsibility to avoid the thread until you have had your chance to view.

(4) Spoilers like character deaths, appearances, and major plot details must be spoiler tagged in the new episode thread prior to the episode television air date.

(5) Do not post any preview video clips from the individual episode in the episode threads.

(6) Official episode commentary may be posted in this episode thread.

(7) Do not discuss future episodes in here.

(8) Reviews for each episode may be posted once they have aired. One of the mods will add a grading poll to that episode's discussion thread.

[​IMG]

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Those pirate ships (and outfits) cobbled together with Imperial leftovers? Pretty cool.

And I’m always up for a visit from a Trandoshan. Particularly a bat**** crazy one.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  3. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    I have a theory but can’t rewatch the episode to confirm -

Could the female pirate be Synara San who we got an action figure preview of a week or so back?

If it is maybe she goes undercover for the pirates/FO working on the Colossus to get closer to the Aces or something?

It’s probably a totally different character but just something that jumped to mind while watching the episode for the second time.

whostheBossk and Chris0013 like this.
  4. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I may or may not agree with your theory. ;)

vncredleader likes this.
  5. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    Well the name is in the credits with a VA, and doing a quick comparison, the clothes and hair match and so does the diamond shaped mark between her eyes, so that's probably her.

6. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Very spoilery...all from internet sources with previews/reviews of Resistance and the toys.
    Inside the cockpit of the pirate shuttle
    [​IMG]

Toy with helmet on
    [​IMG]

Toy with helmet off
    [​IMG]

Kaz and Synara
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  7. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    doesn't take a math genius to put 2 and 2 together and make four.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  8. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Excited for the episode tonight! I don’t use Disney Now, so I watch live.

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Do you watch on TV or a computer?

10. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Well hell I only had it as an afterthought without actually really looking into it but yay I guess I was right. Happy days!

11. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    So, another decent entry. not quite as good as the pilot, though I still enjoyed watching it. I think I'm liking Neeku a lot. When I first saw him in the trailers I wasn't sure. It's hard to get his sort of character correct, but they're doing a very good job with him. There is certainly an enthusiastic innocence about him, and theres a part of me that's hoping he hangs onto it through the series.

Kaz has a little less caffeine in him this episode, but he still kind of reminds me of a bull in a china shop. He is starting to get brought down to reality a little bit but I suspect he has a long way to go. I do have to concede that my biggest question mark about this whole situation is what Poe was thinking putting him into this position, but now that he's here, I'm pretty much with Yeager when he said Kaz needs to get his head straight, because he REALLY does.

I think it was good to get a taste early on for the fact that the Aces aren't just there for show and they do have a job to do. It really validates their reason for being. Races are good but I hope to see them in actual action a little more often as the series goes on. If things do get more serious as time goes on, I imagine the whole racing aspect will probably shift into the background.

Was amused to see Aurodium come up. Haven't heard that term since SWTOR, which I still play now and then. Nice to know it's still just as valuable.

Overall, not bad. Not great, but not bad. Average. I think that's a good word for it. That being said, I think I'll put this at an average rating of 6/10 mainly because I think things may get better if/when Kaz actually gets around to actually doing his job.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  12. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Agreed. My feeling is that it’s not “great” just yet, but it has real potential to be. And I think it’s better than Rebels and TCW already. There’s a naturalness to it that’s hard to put my finger on, but is very Star Warsy, in my mind.

13. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    Fun enough, a little step down from the pilot. I liked the slow motion animation on the water splash.

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Grading poll is live.
    Have you watched "The Triple Dark" yet? Did you like it? Did you hate it? Did you not give a **** at all? Let us know.
    Click your grade and if you want, be a critic and let us know why!
    Note: This poll will close one week from now.​

15. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    A step down from the pilot but still had some good parts. Thr first 20 minutes was kind of mixed (a little too slapstick for me) but the pirate attack was cool. Looked great, I think the action scenes so far in this series have looked awesome. I’m liking Yeager more and more each episode. Hope to see more First Order stuff in each episode too, the ends of both episodes have been good.
    5/10 just since I didn’t really like the first 20 minutes.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    It’s clear that this is all building up to lots of First Order vs. Resistance conflict, including factions in between. And as that stuff has been excellent thus far, I think we’re in for a treat.

Guidman likes this.
  17. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I voted 7/10 but it's really more like 6.5 out of 10. Not as good as the first episodes but nothing really bad about it either....there just wasn't a whole lot going on other than I guess getting to know Kaz a little better.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  18. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I think the entire point of this episode is to establish that there are pirates and they are being supported by the FO.

19. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I did a whole review on the episode, but overall I really enjoyed it. I think this shows yet again just how capable for self reflection and actual internalization Kaz is. He does not wait for others to tell him what to do, yes they may yell at him causing him to see there is a problem, but he always is the one to identify the root of it and always makes a concerted effort to fix it, utterly of his own accord. I am really loving Kaz more and more

20. Gahmah Raan

Gahmah Raan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2015
    I really like the designs for the pirates, seeing as they make use of a lot of cobbled Imperial equipment.

And it looks like Mirialans can now have skin colors off the yellow-green spectrum. I wonder what the biological distinction (which means no tattoos) between purple Mirialans and Zeltrons is going to be.

21. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    actually math is very complex ;)

22. Darth Kronos

Darth Kronos Force Ghost star 6

Jan 2, 2016
    A pretty good episode. Though I don't believe it quite reaches the heights of the pilot episode, as the hour-long length really helped the show properly establish its setting, plot, and characters, The Triple Dark is a pretty entertaining episode nonetheless. It expands on the Colossus a bit more, and it gives more screen time to characters who had little in the previous episode (Tam, for example, who I'll touch on later).

Kaz can get a little annoying at times. His clumsiness and awkwardness did leave me a bit frustrated (I did groan a few times when he constantly mentioned his true mission out loud), but I don't think this is necessarily a flaw with the writing. It's clear that Kaz is intentionally written this way so that his growth will be more satisfying.

I'll admit that the first fifteen minutes or so were worrying. It dealt with a lot of slapstick as Kaz ran away from that little alien (anyone have a name?) and his thugs (which is fine, to an extent), but I didn't know where the episode was going or if it was just mostly going to be this. Then the pirates attacked, and things that were set up earlier were paid off: the one dude getting a "repair," the phrase "Triple Dark," the comlink, Kaz's trophy, and the obnoxiously loud and high-pitched frequency. All of it came into play quite nicely, even if some of it was predictable.

The animation is growing on me a lot. Initially, I thought the animation looked good for the ships and setting but not so much for the people. Something about the way the people looked seemed... off. But the actual show looks much better, especially with the people. The setting and the environment (seriously, I loved the look of Castilion during the storm) is lovely, and the people look far less distracting. Color me impressed.

Tam didn't get a lot of screen time last episode. Even though she had her moments, I didn't think there was much to go on with her. Here, even if we don't get a lot of her personality beyond the surface (I imagine we will considering the "Fireball" featurette we got), I thought she had a fun presence. I liked how she immediately saw through Kaz's bull****. Hell, she basically treats him like a misbehaving child throughout the majority of the episode. I'd like to know more about her, and I'm interested to see how her dynamic with Kaz will continue.

7/10 - It continues the very promising start to this show, but an annoying Kaz and an admittedly slow start does knock it down a few points. I heavily considered giving it a 6/10, but I was feeling generous.

Damn, that's the second time I've given a pretty positive rating to Resistance. I guess that makes me a Disney shill, lol.

chrcharcor2 and Outsourced like this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    This episode got a lot better when the pirates showed up. Kaz seemed a wee bit dumber than in the pilot episode, which is quite a tightrope to walk from endearingly earnest but in over his head to just a complete boob. But, yah, once the pirates showed up (and their awesome designs) it was pretty sweet. As I said before, I'm pretty sure the cell shading animation (probably cheaper and faster) lets them have much more expansive like in Clone Wars and not as limited as some Rebels episodes could be.

Also, Phasma! Whoohoo!! Saying Phasma stuff and being condescending!

24. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I really wish the episode guide had more than just the one pirate fighter.

cwustudent likes this.
  25. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I’m watching this series with one of my children that’s in Kindergarten & she is really enjoying it so far.

It has sort of a Deep Space 9 setup of a central location that people pass through and as someone who enjoyed that about DS9 I’m optimistic that as we get to know more about the main characters who frequent this location, their past, their dreams, etc the show will come to life more and the stakes will increase more.

I think I would have liked to see Kaz in his quarters reminiscing about his life before a little more and hope we get to have moments like that with the other crew. The show so far tends to stick primarily with Kaz’s perspective unless it’s cutting back to the FO developments at the end. I hope that changes in time and there’s more cross cutting and episodes that involve some of the others where Kaz is more of a supporting role for them and tbeir own mini arcs. That said, I fully realize the importance in children’s programming in ensuring the main leads are well established & liked by kids first so I suspect we will stick with Kaz for another epsiode or two before we start getting into the others more.

I also don’t mind the whole cliched concept of a team with each crew member having a different color scheme for kids or different specialties and different inside jokes about each other and those specialties and hope they play that up more. My daughter loves stuff like that and loves anticipating where the skills of one person will be needed as a situation is developing. I’m sure other young kids enjoy that as well.

Overall, I’m happy to have a young Star Wars show she can truly follow without many explanations. It seems like the perfect age for her and she looks forward to our time watching it together which makes me happy.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    whostheBossk, EHT and Bor Mullet like this.