main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Resistance 1.06 - The Children from Tehar - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Nov 3, 2018.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Nov 12, 2018.
  1. 10

5.3%
  2. 9

15.8%
  3. 8

31.6%
  4. 7

26.3%
  5. 6

7.9%
  6. 5

5.3%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

2.6%
  9. 2

2.6%
  10. 1

2.6%
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Episode 1.06!!
    The Children from Tehar
    -------------------------------------

Discussion of New Episodes - Rules
    (1) One of the mods will post each week's episode thread a few days before it airs on Disney Channel.

(2) Discussion in the actual episode thread will be limited to that specific episode, NOT future episodes; past episodes may be referenced.

(3) Resistance episodes air on Sunday at 10:00 pm ET on Disney Channel. Anyone who catches an episode streaming before then must use spoiler tags. After that folks will begin discussing their reviews and thoughts which will likely include spoilers. To anyone concerned about being spoiled before watching the episode it is your responsibility to avoid the thread until you have had your chance to view.

(4) Spoilers like character deaths, appearances, and major plot details must be spoiler tagged in the new episode thread prior to the episode television air date.

(5) Do not post any preview video clips from the individual episode in the episode threads.

(6) Official episode commentary may be posted in this episode thread.

(7) Do not discuss future episodes in here.

(8) Reviews for each episode may be posted once they have aired. One of the mods will add a grading poll to that episode's discussion thread.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Darth Kronos

Darth Kronos Force Ghost star 6

Jan 2, 2016
  3. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Interesting episode

chrcharcor2 likes this.
  4. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Just watched. Pretty solid episode as far as I am concerned.

5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Not bad. Those engine room aliens were an interesting lot. Very Studio Ghibli-esque.

Plus, the first Kylo Ren name drop. He’s coming!

whostheBossk and chrcharcor2 like this.
  6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Grading poll is live.
    Have you watched "The Children from Tehar" yet? Did you like it? Did you hate it? Did you not give a **** at all? Let us know.
    Click your grade and if you want, be a critic and let us know why!
    Note: This poll will close one week from now.​

7. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    giving this a 7/10. Good story over all but we still have Kaz the Spaz running around and not using his brain.

when hooking up the acceleration compensator....if the bolt was in a confusing position he should have asked which "left" based on the angle he was looking at it...or Tam should have been clear on which way was "left" for tightening it.

When Kaz heard about a 20K bounty he should have looked into it for who was offering it.....20K to find some kids should have set off his BS detector.

8. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    It was ok. Now we have space turtles, yay? Kylo Ren namedrop, didn't really care although I laughed when I see people whitewashing him (we don't have the FULL picture or something and LFL wouldn't allow us to think too badly of him because he's Leia and Han's son and something about him becoming a hero) because god forbid we have a villain acting like a villain. I still don't fully trust Neeku despite them pushing very hard to show him as a likable and helpful character. Kaz was better in this one, well besides the fact that he partly thought about helping them for money and not so much for altruistic reason at least at the start. I'm kinda surprised Kaz has so much trouble acting like a mechanic, the spying makes more sense but shoulnd't pilots know how to take care of ships, or knowing about the basics at least? Also a golden FO stomtrooper, would have liked another design though.
    6/10

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  9. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    6/10

The Kaz and the Turtle People is not without its charms but overall feels inconsequential. We already know the First Order are not nice people and so does Kaz. And since the explanation for the generous bounty (though surely chump change to a group that can build planet-sized Death Stars and overrun a galaxy in the space of a week) was simply to eliminate witnesses, we probably won't be seeing those kids again.

10. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    7/10. Liked the First Order stuff and Kyle Ren mention. Do we really need to have in every episode Kaz being a total klutz when it comes to being a mechanic. We get it. Every single episode doesn’t have to drive home this point.

cubman987 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  11. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Two things we learned: Tehar is in the unknown regions and turtles are slooooow.

12. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    7/10

The Kaz being a clumsy mechanic scenes are getting more and more annoying, but all the FO stuff is the reason I'm watching this show.

They obviously have a long-term plan with all this little titbit of information about the FO and their plans they're putting in each episode, however I'm worried this show will get cancelled before they'll have a chance to cash on on all this slow story build up.

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I have got to say this might be my favorite new episode. I don’t know why, but I really liked this one

14. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    Very much agreed. I can't quite put my finger on it, either, but there's just something I really enjoyed about it. Maybe because of how much more close the First order seemed now and the hints of mass slaughter that seem to be an ongoing thing for them. Wiping out planets to cover their tracks maybe? Or was it part of their campaign to find Luke Skywalker? Neeku was great and I was glad to see the kind of heart he has in this episode. I've commented before about a certain innocence he seems to have and I'm hoping it doesn't get damaged too much. Also, while Kaz still seems like a bit of a nut, I think this was a sobering experience for him. Hopefully they build on that in future episodes

At the end of the day, this was really good to watch.

8/10

15. Gahmah Raan

Gahmah Raan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2015
    The momentum from the previous episode continues. The same goes for the portrayal of the First Order as a group that's trying to validate itself in the eyes of the galaxy while trying to cover up the parts that would raise way too many eyebrows for them (i.e. don't let the galaxy know that they are a bunch of over-resourced zealots plotting to start another Galactic Empire under a new name yet). However, even if the Resistance tries to spread the word about Tehar, the Republic's going to keep its head in the sand.

While I already liked him, I'm glad that Neeku's finally getting something important to do. He's very literal-minded and eccentric to a fault (and not to mention a bit naive), but he seems to have a good heart, he's very knowledgeable about how things work on the Colossus, and he's got good connections.

I also liked the Chelidae. They have this Jim Henson-esque feel to them, so much that I think they could be recreated in live-action (I got that feeling from Tera Sinube and Bobbajo, who are members of two related species).

Kaz is still a klutz, but at least he's trying to be better as a mechanic. But again, this is someone who grew up in the Core Worlds living a very sheltered life, and being in the Outer Rim is giving him a reality check of the galaxy, as he no longer has his financial safety net. On a side note, I get the feeling BB-8 is tagging along as a chaperone for the more professional spy work (BB is very competent on his own, and the Resistance has a spy network made up of droids).

Enfys Nest likes this.
  16. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I don't get how people could say Ezra was more annoying than Kaz. Over the course of the entire series Ezra was an inconsistent character depending on the episode, but Kaz is consistently a putz. That's far more annoying for a main protagonist.
    I want to see Kaz back in the cockpit where he can show us what he's really capable of. The spying business hasn't grabbed me, though the show is gaining its legs a bit in that regard.
    The Kylo name drop was unexpected, and it was good to learn more about what the First Order is up to in the Unknown Regions prior to TFA. It was also nice to get a bit more of the Collosus with the engineers.

7/10

17. Darth Kronos

Jan 2, 2016
    Overall a pretty good episode.

I'm honestly surprised that the First Order has been so prominent so early on. Judging from the trailers (especially the first look one), I thought the racing and the Colossus were going to be the focus of the show, and the spying would be in the background until the final few episodes, but I'm pleasantly surprised to see that this isn't the case. The First Order is definitely making the show more interesting, and I'm intrigued to learn more about their plan.

Speaking of, I'm glad that the FO Stormtroopers aren't portrayed as incompetent idiots. They provide a genuine threat toward Kaz and the gang. When Kaz was running away from two of them in the previous episode, they were usually on-point with their accuracy. Kaz just happened to narrowly avoid the blaster bolts before they burned a hole into his brain.

The Kylo Ren namedrop was pretty cool. It gave us some pretty interesting backstory on the kids. And Kylo Ren might show up to the Colossus himself if the kids are rediscovered, so that's exciting.

Pyre has a cool voice. And I like his armor.

Phasma!

Kaz is a mixture of charmingly naive and frustratingly dumb. In some areas I can overlook or accept it, but in others (mainly the mechanic bits) it can get frustrating. It feels like every episode after the pilot has opened with him ****ing something up mechanically, to be honest. Accidentally dropping a ship's engine into Castilon's ocean, the "Get ready to be impressed!" thing, and now breaking a highly valuable piece of equipment. The show is definitely developing a pattern. And I hope it isn't permanent. I get that they're going for a "learn through experience" idea, but I really don't want or need this to become a regular thing.

Also, I'd like to have a scene where Yeager or Tam teach Kaz a bit of mechanical know-how. Not only would it be beneficial for his spying mission, but it could also provide a nice bonding moment between whoever he pairs up with, ya know?

That being said, I think one positive aspect of Kaz (which I don't see discussed too often) is his ability to think quickly on his feet. In The Triple Dark, he was quickly able to create a plan to drive the pirates away from the Colossus. And in this episode, he quickly developed a pretty clever plan to drive away Pyre and his forces. Dude may be inept at his actual cover and a total klutz, but he's not a complete idiot.

I imagine we'll see Kaz successfully put something together by the end of the season. :p

Not much of Yeager in this episode.

A lot of people seem to dislike the slow-burn aspect of the show, but I'm enjoying it. It's a refreshing change of pace compared to most other Star Wars movies and TV shows, and I definitely welcome that. Since the all-out war between the Resistance and the First Order won't happen for another six or so months, we're given time to develop the characters (and the setting) before they're thrust into the wider conflicts of the galaxy.

Though, at the same time, I think we need more development for some of the side characters rather than solely focusing on Kaz and his clumsiness. We've gotten teases of this with Yeager and Tam, but I'd like more of it please.

BB-8 is delightful as always. To be honest, if Disney created a show where BB-8, R2-D2, and C-3PO all hung out with a bunch of porgs, I'd watch that **** in an instant. <3

Poe will be in the next episode, and that's always a good thing. <3

If Resistance is the same as Rebels, then I'm willing to bet that we've seen very little of the second half of the season. Seasons 2 and onward of Rebels all had mid-season trailers, and since the first season of Resistance is around 22 episodes, it might be case here as well.

7/10 - It furthers the plot and pace of the previous episode, and it retains its sense of light-heartedness, but it also carries the frustrating aspects of previous episodes, and they hold this episode back a bit.

Wheeeeeeeeee, I'm gettin' paid tonight, folks!

i wrote too much

BigAl6ft6, Enfys Nest and Bor Mullet like this.
  18. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Anyone know why this isn’t up on iTunes yet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    Kaz tripping over BB-8 and then landing on him without dislocating his spine was pretty impressive

BigAl6ft6 and Cantina Regular like this.
  20. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Should have done a loud cracking noise for that.

BigAl6ft6 and Vinylshadow like this.
  21. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Gave it a 7/10. All I heard over the news since last night was the big name drop. Yipee. That didn't really affect my score one way or another. I guess it was somewhat more intriguing than the past episodes. Obviously you want to know what the First Order was doing on that obscure planet in the first place. Hopefully they won't just forget about it in future episodes.

Enfys Nest likes this.
  22. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    Could Tehar be linked to the clan that the KOR killed in Rey's Vision [​IMG]

23. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Probably gonna do like they did the DS hints in Rebels.

24. Darth Kronos

Jan 2, 2016
    I doubt it, but that would be kinda cool.

25. Jacken_Skywalker

Jacken_Skywalker Jedi Master

Jul 9, 2011
    Probably a bit generous, but I gave it a 9. Despite all of the goofiness that seems to embody Kaz, I just came out of this episode with the biggest smile. I don't know about you guys, but what happened to Tehar really gave me vibes from the Poe Dameron comics. Pretty excited to see where this show is gonna go

DarthHass and Enfys Nest like this.