main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Resistance 1.09 - The Platform Classic - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Nov 24, 2018.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Dec 3, 2018.
  1. 10

3.8%
  2. 9

11.5%
  3. 8

23.1%
  4. 7

50.0%
  5. 6

3.8%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

7.7%
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Episode 1.09!!
    The Platform Classic

-------------------------------------

Discussion of New Episodes - Rules
    (1) One of the mods will post each week's episode thread a few days before it airs on Disney Channel.

(2) Discussion in the actual episode thread will be limited to that specific episode, NOT future episodes; past episodes may be referenced.

(3) Resistance episodes air on Sunday at 10:00 pm ET on Disney Channel. Anyone who catches an episode streaming before then must use spoiler tags. After that folks will begin discussing their reviews and thoughts which will likely include spoilers. To anyone concerned about being spoiled before watching the episode it is your responsibility to avoid the thread until you have had your chance to view.

(4) Spoilers like character deaths, appearances, and major plot details must be spoiler tagged in the new episode thread prior to the episode television air date.

(5) Do not post any preview video clips from the individual episode in the episode threads.

(6) Official episode commentary may be posted in this episode thread.

(7) Do not discuss future episodes in here.

(8) Reviews for each episode may be posted once they have aired. One of the mods will add a grading poll to that episode's discussion thread.

[​IMG]

2. Darth Kronos

Darth Kronos Force Ghost star 6

Jan 2, 2016
  3. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    If that preview image is anything to go by, we'll finally be getting to see a race.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    The middle one is Yeager and I assume the far left one is Marcus Speedstar's.

5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    We saw a race already. Episode two or so where Kaz also ends up racing Torra Doza.

6. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    This episode was definitely yeager centric. After watching it, i was like "no wonder he's so jaded."

Bor Mullet likes this.
  7. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    1. Apparently not much interest in the Platform Classic (in universe). Guess 100K was not much of an incentive since only the Aces, Yeager and Speedstar entered. I get that each ship is an investment in time and manpower to do the work to build but it would have been nice to see more people entered in the race.

2. When is the Fireball going to fly again...this is supposedly the "Hero Ship" due to all the previews. But after Kaz crashed it just gets worked on.

8. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    Cross-posting from Lit, but I found myself enjoying this week's episode a lot more than the previous ones, which I think can be chalked up to two things:

I was almost taken aback by how much more I was drawn into the show when Kaz isn't the main focus, and even though he was still a goof at times in this ep, that wasn't in the foreground. Yeager has been way more compelling so seeing him take center stage was great.

The second factor is the fact we actually got some screentime and stuff for Griff Halloran, which I quite liked. I think this is the second time we've seen him shoot down poor Bo Keevil, though---maybe he's got something against Kel'dor? Now we just need to get him some dialogue... :p

Oh, and did anyone else notice the KOTOR cantina music playing in Aunt Z's? Can't say I'd ever expected to hear that again!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    ManWithoutAStar likes this.
  9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    This episode makes me feel like Yeager should’ve been the main character. :)

Merric and chrcharcor2 like this.
  10. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    God I love the music the plays in this show during flight scenes and the races.

Reminds me of the chip tunes from the old Star Wars Flight Sims.

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Star Wars is starting to overuse the family twist. Like I could tell by just where the conversation was going that the two were related. I really liked that they partially forgave each other. He did in advertantly kill his family so I was glad that he was not totally forgiven.

12. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Given how last episode ended, I thought the FO would make an appearance this one. Although, the actual race was real cool to watch this episode everything else felt really rushed. Wish Yeager was the main character in the show. So far he has been the most fleshed out new character. Hope we get some backstory on Griff Halloran.

How come no one ever seems happy to see the Guavian Death Gang?

13. Gahmah Raan

Gahmah Raan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2015
    Well, First Order isn't quite as involved as previous episodes, but this was a good breather episode for character development for Yeager. Glad to see the racing back on the forefront, and like Star Wars does at its best, adds some character tension to the moment. I'm fine with how the family drama was resolved. Jarek hasn't completely forgiven Marcus (being responsible for the death of family is not a bridge that can be completely mended), but they are on much better terms than they were and Jarek realizes that Marcus has become a much better person than he was back then.

We finally get Griff Halloran some focus. I don't know if ion weapons are allowed in the races or if Griff is just the racing equivalent of a heel.

And glad to see the Guavian Death Gang used in a more plot-important context.

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Grading poll is live.
    Have you watched "The Platform Classic" yet? Did you like it? Did you hate it? Did you not give a **** at all? Let us know.
    Click your grade and if you want, be a critic and let us know why!
    Note: This poll will close one week from now.​

15. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    7/10

After two weeks of episodes that were largely about setup, a standalone story. Nice to see them focusing on the other cast members for a change.

16. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Was it really a twist?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  17. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    this show continues to be a consistent 7/10 for me. I know what to expect, and that's about it. I'm glad we saw a proper race for the first time since the premier, though I'm a little disappointed Kaz was uninvolved. Kaz's clumsiness continues to impress. He's a human Jar Jar. Yeager proves why he's the boss, i was satisfied with the conclusion of this story - but again, nothing wow'd me. If this show were to have a mid-season finale and go on break for two months, I would not be looking forward to its return with excitement the way I was for Rebels each year.

chrcharcor2 likes this.
  18. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    IIRC...the synopsis and other pre-release info said it was his brother.

19. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    I mean, what is revealed later in the episode is more of a twist. Their familial relationship was outed pretty early on in the episode and was important to the tension built between the two. It would have been less dramatic if they were just old rivals. It had you wondering why Jerec was at Marcus' throat the whole time until we learn the true reason why.
    Also, great use of visual storytelling with the Red Guavian Death Gang thugs being a red herring.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  20. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    The music during the scene made it seem like it was meant to be taken that way

21. Darth Kronos

Darth Kronos Force Ghost star 6

Jan 2, 2016
    Idk, might be because they threaten people and hold their friends for ransom.

22. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I think the whole 'Death Gang' think might have something to do with it.

23. Gahmah Raan

Gahmah Raan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2015
    Well, it turns out my hunch was correct: Oplock is a member of a Nikto subspecies from Legends. Specifically, an Esral'sa'Nikto, or Mountain Nikto for short.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  24. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I enjoyed this episode. A much better side-story episode than the one with Poe.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  25. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Gave it a 7/10; merely for the rather poignant sibling rivalry. While it was one of the more heartfelt episodes; I'm still left wondering when the Resistance part comes into play in this series. If the series is just going to show some exciting races above the platform, they could've named it something else.