main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Resistance 1.11 - Station Theta-Black - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Dec 9, 2018.

Tags:
?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Dec 17, 2018.
  1. 10

14.8%
  2. 9

25.9%
  3. 8

33.3%
  4. 7

18.5%
  5. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5

3.7%
  7. 4

3.7%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Episode 1.11!!
    Station Theta-Black

-------------------------------------

Discussion of New Episodes - Rules
    (1) One of the mods will post each week's episode thread a few days before it airs on Disney Channel.

(2) Discussion in the actual episode thread will be limited to that specific episode, NOT future episodes; past episodes may be referenced.

(3) Resistance episodes air on Sunday at 10:00 pm ET on Disney Channel. Anyone who catches an episode streaming before then must use spoiler tags. After that folks will begin discussing their reviews and thoughts which will likely include spoilers. To anyone concerned about being spoiled before watching the episode it is your responsibility to avoid the thread until you have had your chance to view.

(4) Spoilers like character deaths, appearances, and major plot details must be spoiler tagged in the new episode thread prior to the episode television air date.

(5) Do not post any preview video clips from the individual episode in the episode threads.

(6) Official episode commentary may be posted in this episode thread.

(7) Do not discuss future episodes in here.

(8) Reviews for each episode may be posted once they have aired. One of the mods will add a grading poll to that episode's discussion thread.

[​IMG]

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
  3. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Enjoyable episode...however the series feels too episodic as opposed to serialized...very little really carries over episode to episode .

Kaz finally has a blaster...but was given to him by Poe...and is apparently not that great with it. I take issue with this as Kaz is a NRDF pilot...sure he is not infantry...but the military teaches everyone to use a weapon. Also I would have had the back story on him getting it be that he got it from the pirate raid....something one of the pirates lost. When Poe ask if he knows how to use it he could have said "Academy training and some target practice on the Colossus." or something to that effect.

Hope the Resistance mechanics fix the Fireball....would get that plot line resolved. And since it is still apparently going to Tam I still say this would be a way to bring in another ship for Kaz...maybe the T-70 he has been using....or dig into the old EU and do a Cloakshape or a Howlrunner.

4. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Best episode of the series so far for me.

5. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I think that’s about to change for the second half.

6. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Really enjoyed the action scenes in this one. Easily the best of the series. Poe and BB-8 were really good in it as well. Nice to see the the information about the First Order starting to scale start to come out.

I don't even know what to say about Kaz at this point. Continues to the be the worst thing about this show.....by far.

Miles Lodson likes this.
  7. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Really good episode.

A bit bummed to see Phasma is as bad with a blaster as every other trooper. Also, given the size of that explosion, they probably didn't need a bomb in all 4 quadrants to get the job done. A touch overkill, but the FO is rolling in excess.

Snafu55 and Vinylshadow like this.
  8. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    *slow deep breath*

It's frustrating seeing the First Order not being able to hit the broad side of Starkiller Base, or not Stunning first and asking questions later

Snafu55 and Merric like this.
  9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    We’re forty-one years into this franchise, and you’re still expecting stormtroopers to shoot straight?

Think it might be time to come to terms with this habit of Star Wars. You can’t change it, at her age. Just accept her for who she is. ;)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Snafu55 and Darth_Accipiter like this.
  10. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    If there were a bunch of expendable Red Shirts...or Phoenix Squadron pilots with no faces....I am sure the Stormies would be hitting people.

11. Vinylshadow

Sep 3, 2017
    More cannon fodder, more characters actually being hit or grazed, have them have to actively dodge more instead of running in a straight line without getting shot

TK-421 Is vader likes this.
  12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Grading poll is live.
    Have you watched "Station Theta-Black" yet? Did you like it? Did you hate it? Did you not give a **** at all? Let us know.
    Click your grade and if you want, be a critic and let us know why!
    Note: This poll will close one week from now.​

13. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    5/10

This one didn't do much for me. Too much a movie tie-in event. Poe is given orders not to engage and naturally disregards them. This is never followed up on so it serves no story purpose within the episode. Like many other things in this episode, it just seems to be a way to reference something in the ST rather than reveal something new. I like the show better when it's focusing on its own story and characters.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  14. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    niner. Not a ten because of Kaz.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  15. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    9/10 - thought this was the best episode so far.

While I agree, I feel like he hasn't been as bad the last couple of episodes. That or I'm just used to him.....not sure which.

Ody_Mandrell and Bor Mullet like this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    This was one of my favs because I like when it's Poe and Kaz on missions, and hearing Oscar Issac is always fun. We get to hear Poe make more quips probably in Resistance than in the movies actually. Same with Gwendoline Christie and we got a bona-fide Poe and Phasma face to face (she straight up missed multiple times from about 3 feet away). And the escape at the end was pretty grand. The voice actress they got to replace Boutera as General Organa is pretty darn good, I'd say it's about 80% there but sometimes her General Organa whisper is a bit too much like Leia is choking on something. I would have liked to hear what Boutera would have done since, from what I heard from her on the Stern show, she's an excellent mimic but the new lady they got to replace her is pretty solid too.

17. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    This is the first Resistance episode that maintained my attention, so that's a plus. I still think Kaz should be replaced - for a brief second, when the station exploded, I got excited that Poe might be the new lead, lol. I rate it a 7, all the other episodes have been in the 3-5 range. It was great to see Leia, I hope they expand her role, as she is a character that interests me, the new Resistance characters - not so much.

18. Darth Trevius

Darth Trevius Jedi Master star 1

Nov 15, 2012
    pretty good .. i am enjoying phasma and the st tie ins .. like leia .. lotsa bad boring pointless episodes to get here tho so points off for that

19. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Gave it a 9/10. Certainly my favorite episode to date. It was refreshing to leave the platform for an entire episode and meet with both Poe as well as Leia. As @Mother_Talzin said, it was great to see her. Kudos to her new voice actress; sounds pretty much like Carrie did in the first two ST movies. Of course there's the long standing complaint about what bad shots the troopers are; but what are you gonna do?

One question I had though: if Astro-mechs like R2 and BB-8 can fly an X-wing by themselves (even two at a time), why do they need human pilots?

20. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I missed the fact that the Leia VA was replaced... not bummed, given the reasons, and the new one is really solid.

Simply no going wrong with Oscar. Great action scenes. I seem to be less annoyed with Kaz than most, but he's still not a fave yet. Mostly I continue to see this show developing quite deliberately and I like that. Still waiting for the big backstory ep with Kaz and his Senator dad... that'll have to be in there somewhere before we catch up to TFA and things get rough...

Bor Mullet likes this.
  21. Vizzy91

Vizzy91 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 12, 2018
    It could be a season or two later just like Rebels though.

22. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    Loved it! Getting into the Resistance structure and the rise of the First Order is good stuff! Only issue at all is Leia looks a little too young for this to be only months before TFA...but I got over it fast!

whostheBossk likes this.
  23. Vinylshadow

Sep 3, 2017
    Because human intuition/instincts trumps robot programming any day of the week

24. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Watching Star Wars Resistance right now with one of my kids who is quite young and the Kaz and BB8 antics and physical comedy are some of her favorite parts at present.

They were very clear from the start that this was going to be more of a gateway to Star Wars kind of show aimed at some of the youngest ages that any Star Wars show has aimed at in a long time.

There’s enough lore expansion and prequel-style tie ins to ST character beats now and eye candy for me to enjoy this every morning but it’s aimed more at my kids than me overall. It feels closer to the bed time stories I read to them in the Star Wars universe that are also focused on children.

Star Wars Resistance spoilers follow...

I thought the voice acting for Leia was acceptable. I liked the tie-in to the weapons-related mining and the FO’s engineering ability to build bases into large rocks with resources. I like how they aligned themselves with organized crime and pirates to seem like the protection against them from those formally loyal to the Empire who survived or thrived after the war ended and who still see some value in troopers and the old way of doing things. The FO seems to be presented mostly as a bunch of wannabes in universe who provide security right now while dressed like the old guard. They come off in universe now more like those militia members in the States in the Tea Party who reanact Wars if those guys also offered security at protests dressed in controversial gear of the past. Which feels almost like something that could happen.

I enjoyed seeing more of Poe’s risk-averse, assertive personality come out in a timeline prior to the ST and hope that continues for him in other materials so that kids who watch and read stuff from this timeline in the years ahead find the ST more in character to the Poe they’ve seen, rather than all of the older fans who were angry that Poe wasn’t who they thought he should be. The mining for weapons also fits nicely into Rose Tico’s backstory and the episode showed how the Senate is reluctant to react to perceived threats with military actions following the rise of Palpatine’s Empire decades ago.

In the PT era the people allowed a totalitarian regime to rise out of fear and sacrificed their rights and freedoms before realizing how badly both are needed for democracy. Now, this era’s people aren’t reacting to signs of threats seriously enough and have likely gone too far the other way where it’s now difficult to protect the public due to gridlock around constitutional risks. The message is clear: balance is needed not only from the force users and their plot but also in how all of us react to threats that make us fearful. Whether those fears stem from threat of physical harm or from threat of a constitutional risk. We must think rationally and weigh the risks and find common ground for modern threats. It can’t be one or the other. There must be a balanced way forward.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yup. And it's an incredibly relevant and mature theme for a kid's show, IMO. Credit to LFL for that.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    vncredleader likes this.