main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Resistance 1.17 - The Core Problem - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Feb 16, 2019.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Feb 25, 2019.
  1. 10

12.0%
  2. 9

24.0%
  3. 8

40.0%
  4. 7

8.0%
  5. 6

8.0%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

8.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Episode 1.17!!
    The Core Problem
    -------------------------------------

Discussion of New Episodes - Rules
    (1) One of the mods will post each week's episode thread a few days before it airs on Disney Channel.

(2) Discussion in the actual episode thread will be limited to that specific episode, NOT future episodes; past episodes may be referenced.

(3) Resistance episodes air on Sunday at 10:00 pm ET on Disney Channel. Anyone who catches an episode streaming before then must use spoiler tags. After that folks will begin discussing their reviews and thoughts which will likely include spoilers. To anyone concerned about being spoiled before watching the episode it is your responsibility to avoid the thread until you have had your chance to view.

(4) Spoilers like character deaths, appearances, and major plot details must be spoiler tagged in the new episode thread prior to the episode television air date.

(5) Do not post any preview video clips from the individual episode in the episode threads.

(6) Official episode commentary may be posted in this episode thread.

(7) Do not discuss future episodes in here.

(8) Reviews for each episode may be posted once they have aired. One of the mods will add a grading poll to that episode's discussion thread.

[​IMG]

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Soooo....apparently....

we hang onto the outside of falling and flying starfighters like it ain't nothing but a thing.

and I got feeling that...

Tam is going to be a problem....might have to have a tragic accident if she don't learn to stay in her lane....

Also looked like they got another....

fighter like Rucklin's in the garage....

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    indydefense likes this.
  3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Great episode. Great new location. Great new droids. This one was really good.

4. ScorpioGirl

ScorpioGirl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    Kaz is trying to send out a message to the Resistance! He is determined and committed to his mission!

“Kaz to Poe Dam- I mean, Lone Wolf…”

LOL I think the damage has already been done, Kaz.

“Lone Wolf” is right behind him, isn’t he?

Yep, he is!

“We’re leaving for Jakku tomorrow.”

We’re near the beginning of TFA! That happened a lot sooner than I thought.

“They want the Colossus so the Resistance can’t have it.”

That is a really lame reason to want it, but I wouldn’t put it past Kylo to be this petty.

Yeager: Oh, no. You’re not thinking of pulling a Widowmaker, are you?

Kaz: Widowmaker? (Laughs) I’m not even married.

I don’t think that’s what he meant, Kaz…

So Poe’s plan is to ride outside on the wing of the Fireball then air-jump onto his X-wing? “Most daring pilot” indeed.

Uh…why are you guys going through that core?

Whoa! Both hands on the wheel, Kaz!

“Whoo-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo!”

lol Kaz being a little scared, then enjoying it reminds me of those movies where a character gets scared of going really fast, then enjoying it!

Whoa…that building on the moon looks like an ancient Jedi temple. And above the door it looks like the same insignia Kel was wearing when he arrived on the Colossus! So, this must be Tehar.

Poe finding that plushie reminds me of Mulan finding a doll in that village that was destroyed by the Huns.

And they were discovered by a probe droid…and it’s got kids!

Geez, I’m surprised Kaz doesn’t have brain damage!

“Kaz, which droid are you shooting at?” -Poe sounds extremely irritated.

Whoa! Kaz got lucky with that shot!

And the First Order shows up.

They escaped and flew through the gravity well!

Something tells me this isn’t the end of Vonreg.

So, they made the droid swap in midair (mid-space?)

I’m gonna miss BB-8 on this show.

So, when exactly did Poe report the “core problem” to Leia? ‘Cause he didn’t mention it in the comics or the movies, and he said he was “short on time”… oh…you know what, I wonder if he made a stop on D’Qar first, since he’s not wearing the same outfit he was wearing at the beginning of The Force Awakens.

Aw! We didn’t get to see how Poe (and now Kaz) snuck on the Colossus without anyone noticing!

Sigh, I’m getting a little tired of Tam’s complaints!

“I took him (BB-8) to a repair shop on Takodana.”

I was wondering how Kaz was going to explain the droid swap. And that’s the second time he’s mentioned Takodana. It must be the closest planet to Castillon, which means they should barely be able to make out that huge streak of fire and the Hosnian System exploding.

Neeku: I’m gonna miss my little round friend.

Awww.

Yeager: Tam, there are some things you just wouldn’t understand.

Tam: Yeah, you won’t let me. (Storms off)

OMG That is such a father/daughter conversation! I really hope neither of them is the First Order spy. Although, Yeager has been taking an interest in Kaz’s mission in the last few episodes (even though he said in the beginning he didn’t want to get involved with the Resistance, and he knows quite a bit about the FO, even though he told Poe “The Empire is long gone, Poe. I’d leave it in the past where it belongs.”), so I wonder….

Kaz still has that plushie. I wonder if he’ll give it to Eila, who will tell him it was hers to begin with?

“Anyone could be next.”

Guess what I just had a flashback to.

Whoo! Anyone feel like watching The Force Awakens now (or reading the novelization)?

whostheBossk and Darth Corydon like this.
  5. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I thought this was great comedy:

Widowmaker? Hah, I'm not even married!

smudger9 likes this.
  6. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Honestly...
    simple military tactics...if you can't have deny it to your enemies....If it is the closest refueling station to the Unknown Regions then whatever side gets it has a ready made staging platform to refuel their ships. Therefore it is either take if for yourself or flat out destroy it. nd the FO cannot at this time drop a fleet in system and do an orbital bombardment that would destroy it.[/spoiler}

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    indydefense likes this.
  7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    The best line of the episode:

Neeku: Kaz! Where did you come from? And I mean just now, not bilogically.

8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    So i have been keeping up with the new episodes. I liked this one very mutch. The old temple with looked like an old jedi temple, Poe even comments on it as a relic from another time.my guess Religous people lived there like thoose little force kids. Aww the little toy. Liked the new droid from the of TFA concect arts. Bye bye bb-8 and helloo new droid. Space fights was good. We are here guys the force awakens has come. next episode or after that Hosnian Prime is bye bye.

9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I love Neeku!

Bor Mullet likes this.
  10. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    This might be my favorite episode of the series so far. Very enjoyable (although Kaz seems to be reverting back by having a hard time just walking). I enjoy the Colossus setting but have really liked the ones where they venture away from it. Hopefully season two expands does this more. I guess safe to assume CB-23 will be a weekly fixture now.

11. Darth Kronos

Darth Kronos Force Ghost star 6

Jan 2, 2016
    This show has done a really damn good job of building on its momentum as of late. It almost feels like we've entered the point where each episode is on par with or topping the previous one.

I had a small feeling that we'd find out more about the massacre at Tehar, and I was not disappointed. I 100% believe that the cool Kaz took with him belongs to Kel or Eila, and showing it to them will bring back haunting and terrible memories of a trauma they'd rather forget. And I still haven't forgotten about Eila's "dreams that always come true," by the way, and something tells me the show hasn't either. We'll see.

I really like Poe's dynamic with Kaz. You can tell that he grows a little tired and frustrated with Kaz's antics, but you can also see that he likes him regardless of that. It's a fun and unique (though not completely) character pairing, especially for Poe. Without this dynamic, these "side adventures" wouldn't be half as entertaining.

The action is fun, but it kind of lacks tension, and I think a lot of that has to do with Poe and BB-8, funnily enough. We know that they live beyond this, and any Resistance characters the accompany essentially gives those characters plot armor. But since they're gone now, I imagine this feeling will mostly disappear. I mean, I don't think the powers that be will kill off a major character this soon, and they don't need to, but the lack of Poe and BB gives the final episodes an extra layer of uncertainty, and I feel like that was partially missed in the action and stakes of this episode. *shrug*

I haven't been commenting on this season as much as I should have, but I've been greatly enjoying it so far, mainly and especially the latest few episodes. Honestly, though, if I were to go back and rewatch some of the earlier episodes, I'd probably say I was being too lenient in grading them, but they're still harmless fun regardless.

8.5/10, rounded to a 9 if I'm feeling generous (and I probably am).

If the next episode's synopsis is to be believed, then we will see Hux's speech and the inevitable destruction of the Hosnian system. Major oof. Terrible things are coming indeed, Kaz. Prepare your emotions, lol.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Resistance is very much growing on me. Looking forward to the next few episodes.

Snafu55 likes this.
  13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Grading poll is live.
    Have you watched "The Core Problem" yet? Did you like it? Did you hate it? Did you not give a **** at all? Let us know.
    Click your grade and if you want, be a critic and let us know why!
    Note: This poll will close one week from now.​

14. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    So something interesting, in the Poe Dameron comic Poe mentioned he needed to make a detour to pick up BB-8 before going to Jakku, we see him do that in this episode.

15. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    Eerie episode. I really felt a sense of dread at what's coming. But WHY do the writers continually make Kaz such an incompetent character? It undermines every serious situation he's in. He is the one big blight in an otherwise enjoyable and well-made series. They gave him an interesting set-up (trust fund kid of a politician, who is on his own for once), but have done nothing with it. There have been so many missed opportunities for character building. Anything he accomplishes seems to be in spite of himself. I could go on and on about how annoying this guy is, but I will stop.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    cwustudent and Guidman like this.
  16. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Let's be honest, Kaz makes Frank Drebin and Maxwell Smart look like James Bond.

Jedi Knight Fett and chrcharcor2 like this.
  17. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014

Kaz and Poe have no idea how audacious the First Order's plan is. Starkiller Base is used to wipe out the New Republic and any large military opposition. That's immediately followed with a First Order blitz across all fronts to occupy the galaxy. They're sending fleets of Star Destroyers everywhere. An attack of that size will take a huge amount of resources, maybe more than what the First Order has available. So there could be lots of places like the Colossus required for the attack. One fuel station isn't that important but all those individual fuel stations together are vital for the attack to work.

Darth Chiznuk and Chris0013 like this.
  18. Darth Kronos

Darth Kronos Force Ghost star 6

Jan 2, 2016
    Kaz is doing his best, stop being so mean to him. :mad:

19. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    If they kill him off by having him topple backwards into a grinder then I'll enjoy this series umpteen times more.

20. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    No way that could happen. He's like the woman in Deadpool 2 whose super power is luck. So if he fell into a meat grinder, it would short circuit right before he fell.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I liked this as a Starkiller Origins episode, they must have been testing it although I'm not sure why tested SKB would just hollow out a planet and create a weird gravity distortion. (although apparently this was the FO testing if they could actually hollow out a planet, then why is a Star missing? did they test-fire SKB or not?!) Still, we got our very first look at a First Order probe droid and BB-8 and Poe are on their way to the events of TFA/TLJ which means we probably won't see them again in S1 as they spend the rest of the time with the Loathsome Resistance. Good to see that Neeku had a funny "oh, I miss BB-8!" moment. Poe jumping from one ship to another was a little extreme and may have stretched believably about what a non-Jedi human can do, though.

I also got the feeling this was where the refugee kids are from and the same slaughter village from Rey's vision of Kylo.

22. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Good question!

Or was the energy taken from the missing star in this episode what fired on the Republic???

cwustudent and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  23. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Gave it an 8/10. It was a pretty good episode overall. Obviously I'm glad they finally got off the Colossus. Poe's character certainly adds a bit more intrigue to the episodes. The obvious tie-ins to TFA are what really made the episode a memorable one, by Resistance standards anyway.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  24. JohnJonBinks

JohnJonBinks Jedi Knight

Jul 11, 2018
    I really liked this weeks episode
    Can't wait to see what happens now that we are in sync with force awakens! Notice there is a reference to Poe's adventure with Kaz in the Poe comic about making a retour before going to Jakku.

25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    That's my assumption. I think a lot of those planets were failed attempts to create the Starkiller Base weapon (one especially looks like it was hollowed out exactly like the Starkiller Base planet is.) Once they perfected it they drained the sun in preparation for their attack.