main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Resistance 1.21 - No Escape Part 2 (Season Finale!!) - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Mar 16, 2019.

Tags:
?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Apr 1, 2019.
  1. 10

30.8%
  2. 9

35.9%
  3. 8

23.1%
  4. 7

5.1%
  5. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5

2.6%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

2.6%
  1. JH24

JH24 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 19, 2017
    I just had the chance to watch the finale. Wow....

I can't find the words right now. Did I have some issues with it? Yes, but I don't care.

Because in the end it left me excited, on the edge of my seat and wanting for more.

This final episode was everything that I could have hoped for. I LOVED IT!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  2. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    I wonder if the two troopers they stunned in the cells are ever gonna come back into play

Maybe send a distress call to the FO to cause some mischief

Only the tears of the fans

3. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I gave this one a 10 because it was another really good episode and it served as a great finale to season 1. I'm so happy with how the later part of this season went, I was a bit worried with how it started but it certainly went out on a high note. Kaz has still been a bit annoying but they'e managed to strike a good balance with him of late, still being a bit of a klutz but also showing he can be a useful asset to the Resistance - especially when flying. That battle with him and Yeager against the TIE's is probably my favorite part of the season so far. Looking forward to next season, anxious to find out
    where they come out of hyperspace and what happens with Tam. I'm also glad Synara and the pirates are on board, she turned out to be one of my favorite characters so I'm glad she'll be around.

Outsourced and JH24 like this.
  4. JH24

JH24 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 19, 2017
    Just re-watched it. I still enjoyed it as much as I did the first time. I remember being skeptical when this series started, and I never imagined the finale would leave me wanting for more.

- The Troopers being eaten by those sharks was surprisingly dark. Even more if you compare the finale with the rest of the season. It's reassuring to know the writers won't avoid these kind of scenes.

- I laughed at the "Now? No, not now!" scene.

- The scene with Tam was very well done. This scene was also one of the issues I had. Tam's dilemma lasted a bit too long, long enough to start wondering why no one mentioned Hosnian Prime. But at this point I don't think she would have believed them, and Agent Tierny could make up an excuse to sow doubt.

- The way CB-23 took out four Storm Troopers was epic.

- It was awesome to see Aunt Z and Hype again.

- The Colossus moving through the clouds was an amazing scene. The aerial battle had me on the edge of my seat, and just when I thought it couldn't get any better a Star Destroyer showed up.

- Loved how Kaz took out Vonreg. This was really Kaz's moment and the way he did it was clever. Loved seeing Yeager in battle as well.

- Neeku not being able to enter the complete coordinates was a good way to end it. It opens up many possibilities for the second season.

One thing that also made me like the finale was the friendship between Kaz and Neeku. They make a great team and my heart melted when Neeku hugged Kaz in the end.

9/10

5. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Goodbye Tam the Traitor! [face_plain] I hope they don't redeem her, but they probably will.

Great episode!

I thought Kylo Ren was supposed to part of the Finale? I remember Adam Driver's name being listed as part of the Voice Cast somewhere. Oh Well. Looks like the Aces will be joining up with Kaz, and the Resistance. I hope they ditch their ships, and start a new X-Wing squadron for the Resistance. :xwing: ;) I wonder what color their squadron could be? [face_thinking]

6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Another reminder that anyone can update IMDB.

Outsourced, JH24 and Baron_Papanerd like this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah that's true, it could have ended up like "here we are on Honsinan Prime and, wouldn't you know, it looks exactly like the Ace's Lounge!"

Bor Mullet likes this.
  8. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I was a little disappointed that Vonreg is gone so soon; but I guess they needed to drive home the fact that Kaz is really a great pilot. He is only a klutz when he is out of his element, ie. mechanic, and using a hand blaster (Aunt Z was the one who took out those 2 Ties ;)), which was the vast majority of Season 1. Now he is finally in his element.

9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Plus, Vonreg is a little redundant with Commander Pyre in the picture.

10. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Vonreg is a pilot to fly against pilots...Pyre is a Stormtrooper Commander.

I hate that they do not put more up for the concept art on the website...I hate seeing 1/?? and only having that one pic. The Colossus has 1 of 16....I want them all.

11. Psychenous

Psychenous Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 13, 2017
    This week's Bucket's List

This week's Resistance Rewind

whostheBossk likes this.
  12. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    9/10. The best episode this season but the season has been mediocre IMO. I think the strongest episodes were the ones featuring Poe and connected to the main overall arc with TFA. The look of the show has really grown on me, I don't notice it anymore. Hopefully the show continues to improve.

V-2 likes this.
  13. Merric

Merric Jedi Master star 3

Jan 26, 2013
    I had a feeling the colossus was going to be a ship from the very beginning, even without the hints, but wow. The fact that it had escape pods were such a great hint that I didn't even think about.

Bor Mullet, Outsourced and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    d'oh, yeah, the Escape pods! I was all like "oh, they call them escape pods on a station too neat!"

So is Colossus a ship or a mobile space station like the Death Star? I go with moblie space station cuz ships can dock in it and it doesn't seem as zippy as a Star Destroyer and it's even bigger.

15. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I can't wait to see where they take Season 2. I'm hoping it'll have a kind of Voyager vibe to it. I mean, you have a station filled to the brim with different personalities that were more or less dragged along for the ride and are now stuck on this path leading towards the Resistance. Aces, Pirates, Team Fireball, and the regular citizens that weren't carted off by the First Order. It'll be really interesting seeing all these different groups trying to cooperate as the galaxy is being encroached upon by the First Order fleets.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  16. Knight of Jedi Ren Sith

Knight of Jedi Ren Sith Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2018
    The question is, why does it take LFL so long to get a story going? I like the animation and the characters (too many though, way too many), but the narrative has been so directionless, until the end, and then we end up flying into nowhere, like the end of TLJ. It's very weak storytelling and I can't help but wonder who's in charge of this "story."

The season gets a 6 and the last few episodes 7.

Lots of potential for S2, but really, S1 was virtually pointless.

Jedi Daniel and V-2 like this.
  17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Something something not the destination something something journey.

18. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I think the problem was clear. Disney wanted a number of hours of cartoon that ties in with the sequel trilogy, but given that TFA leads straight into TLJ there's no room for writing an in between story. Apparently the FO rose suddenly, so there isn't much scope to write about a downtrodden community under FO rule. Working with scant information and not much continuity, Filoni and co just needed to fill time.

Since the FO turned up the series actually felt like it had a story to tell, and I think there were 2 or 3 stories before that point that were worthwhile in terms of moving the plot forwards. I agree that the whole series was fairly aimless and failed to live up to the title. It's time now to concentrate on putting those characters in interesting situations and filling in more of the blanks left by TFA and TLJ, and hopefully with the arrival of IX, there will be a better story to tell!

19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I liked the slow buildup, personally. Much prefer it to the modern style of storytelling where everything, from the start, is bang, bang, vang. The slow build of tension was refreshing, and effective.

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Overall a good episode to end it on. I am very glad they included a darker turn such as Tam joining the FO much needed.

21. Knight of Jedi Ren Sith

Knight of Jedi Ren Sith Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2018
    Modern style? I'm pretty sure Aristotle would object to this since he argued that starting in the middle of things and having a strong plot profluence were excellent narrative qualities.

Wasting 15 episodes or so and tons of money and audience before finding a narrative direction just seems pretty impractical, and dull.

Show build up of tension in an action-adventure cartoon? I'm not sure you're serious. Maybe if the characters were sufficiently developed deeply, but we barely scratched any surface with the main character. It wasn't until Kaz's parents died that they even seemed to enter his mind.

Maybe one of those "slow-tension" episodes (haha) could have followed Kaz home to Hosnian Prime where we could have had a chance to know his parents and the doomed population before they died?

Nah, too much pointless spinning around for a well-plotted story and characters.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2019
    DarthWolvo23 likes this.
  22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I didn't find it dull, and you did. Case closed.

I have incredibly high standards and specific expectations for all the Star Wars content that I consume, including for animation. And Resistance met those standards and expectations. It had surprisingly mature thematic and world-building content, and the character motivations and actions were quite organic. Everything everyone did in the latter half of the season was earned. These are all reasons why I rank it highly.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2019
    RokurGepta and vncredleader like this.
  23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I'm late i guess i loved this epsode, Hosnian Prime is gone. We got great momments with Kaz and the rest, the drowning of stromproppers was a good plan. they get eaten was a little dark. About Tam i wondered if they had it in them to get her to join the first order, and i was delighted for that, great storylines will come off that. the battle was good and Kaz taking out Vonreg was good and clever of how did it. rip Vonreg. Good to see the pirates again and with the the space station go into anywhere in space, im very exited for season 2.

24. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Took some time to catch up with the latest episodes. Am I the only one who immediately thought of “Final Fantasy 8” the moment it was hinted their base could fly like a ship?

The main issues I had with the final episode is the unceremonious killing of the Red Baron pilot (hoping for a cool villain development is too much to ask, I guess?), and the hilarious lack of effort put in convincing Tam to hit her common sense button. I suppose it would be hard to justify her decision if Kaz shouted “they destroyed Hosnian Prime and killed my family you idiot!!”. Then again, ‘I wanna be a racer’ Tam joining a fascist military organization that banned racing and all social events along with it, because #reasons, was already a hard sell, so I guess they really needed to bet on her feelings of betrayal to make it look semi-convincing.

Overall I give the final episode 8/10. Not as strong as a finale as Rebels season 1, but close.

As a general note, I found this season to be very directionless. The show was first promoted as a spy adventure (which we hardly saw). Then it opened up as a racing adventure (which we barely saw). Then it changed midway through to yet another story of rebels vs Imperials, which was kinda expected, but feels too much “been there done that” at this point in the franchise. Perhaps the worst part is the lack of memorable villains. I complained about the Inquisitors in Rebels, but at least they had a personality.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    chrcharcor2 and V-2 like this.
  25. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    It's been about 15 years or so since I played through FFVIII, so I don't recall that particular reference regarding the base that flies like a ship.