main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Resistance 2.05 - The Engineer - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Nov 2, 2019.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Nov 11, 2019.
  1. 10

9.1%
  2. 9

13.6%
  3. 8

22.7%
  4. 7

13.6%
  5. 6

18.2%
  6. 5

13.6%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

4.5%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

4.5%
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Episode 2.05!!
    The Engineer
    -------------------------------------

Discussion of New Episodes - Rules
    (1) One of the mods will post each week's episode thread a few days before it airs on Disney Channel.

(2) Discussion in the actual episode thread will be limited to that specific episode, NOT future episodes; past episodes may be referenced.

(3) Resistance episodes air on Sunday at 10:00 pm ET on Disney Channel. Anyone who catches an episode streaming before then must use spoiler tags. After that folks will begin discussing their reviews and thoughts which will likely include spoilers. To anyone concerned about being spoiled before watching the episode it is your responsibility to avoid the thread until you have had your chance to view.

(4) Spoilers like character deaths, appearances, and major plot details must be spoiler tagged in the new episode thread prior to the episode television air date.

(5) Do not post any preview video clips from the individual episode in the episode threads.

(6) Official episode commentary may be posted in this episode thread.

(7) Do not discuss future episodes in here.

(8) Reviews for each episode may be posted once they have aired. One of the mods will add a grading poll to that episode's discussion thread.

[​IMG]

whostheBossk and Bor Mullet like this.
  2. ScorpioGirl

ScorpioGirl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    That photo is so badass! I love it!

3. ScorpioGirl

ScorpioGirl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    This is definitely a filler episode, but we do learn a bit more about Neeku. His parents were bantha herders (I’m assuming from Tatooine. Banthas are from Tatooine, some Niktos prefer desert climates...), and even though they didn’t understand his interest in machines, they still supported him. Awww.

They got a distress signal from Nena, an engineer whose ship was attacked by the First Order. I was kind of hoping they’d get the distress signal from Crait, but, apparently their long-distance communications were shot...again.

Synara and Kaz looked so badass appearing out of the smoke with their blasters poised!

Aww, I liked Neeku and Nena together. But apparently, Nena is working for the First Order!

Synara: Say it.

Kaz: All right, fine. You were right.

AHAHA! Those two are married!

I’m starting to wonder if Nena interfered with the communication tower and that’s why they didn’t get the distress call from Crait.

“If you happen upon the engineer again, execute her.”

So...what was the point of this episode?

4. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Like Nena's ship...hopefully that will be in the concept art gallery...but since they usually put new ships there I am not too worried.

Synara and Kaz are great...and that is something I find missing from these series...romantic entalglements.

Nena did her job...it is not her fault the FO sent out a handful of TIES instead of an all out assault with turbolaser fire from the SD.

Overall...the real issue I had with Rebels and not Resistance is they are more episodic than serialized. I liked that in TCW we had longer arcs to develop story and characters.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Didn’t feel too much like filler, as we got FO sabotage action and character development for Neeku (and Kaz and Synara continue to develop their relationship). Anyway, much better than last week’s. Not sure what it is, but I just find these characters more likeable than those in past shows. And funnier.

8/10. A point dropped just for the dumbness of them not checking the Engineer’s ship...earlier.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  6. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Felt like filler to me. Another episode where Kaz is exposed as a sucker. Was Neena the same race as Neeku? You'd have thought immediately that they'd hit it off even without talking. The biggest head-scratcher was when the FO finally arrived knew that the Colossus was defenseless, and only sent a few TIEs to fire on it. Couldn't that Star Destroyer have wiped it out pretty quickly? I guess if they did there wouldn't be need for any more episodes. No mention at all of Tam; even when they showed the bridge on board the Star Destroyer.

7. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Well...

Kaz got duped, sure. But he recovered quickly and did what needed to be done to get them out of there. Nothing to be ashamed of. He’s just an empathetic guy, and sometimes that leads to mistakes

RokurGepta and JH24 like this.
  8. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2014
    Maybe Pyre half-assed the assault just to discredit Tiery. That's the only in-universe explanation I can think of. :p

Bor Mullet and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  9. JH24

JH24 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 19, 2017
    Good episode. I especially liked how we got some more background on Neeku. The inevitable betrayal with Neena was too obvious but at least she wasn't totally evil.

A few things this episode showed: (Just my personal impression)

- Neeku is too pure for this world.
    - Neeku doesn't seem to get appreciated enough by Kaz.
    - The survival of the station now literally depends on Neeku to keep it afloat.
    - Kaz is becoming quite a mechanic himself. He was able to undo Neena's sabotage with directions from Neeku.
    - I'm liking the chemistry between Kaz and Synara. Kaz's empathy and Synara's realism compliment each other well.
    - Apparently Kaz has never asked Neeku about his past or background even once; Kaz, on the other hand, can't seem to stop talking about himself.
    - I liked the interactions between Neeku and Neena. Neena learned more about Neeku (and maybe even understood him better) in a few hours than Kaz did in the entire series. You could honestly tell Neeku enjoyed spending time with her.

In a sense, it makes Neeku's "You're my bestest friend" to Kaz come across as heartwarming, but also as a little one-sided and sad, because emotionally Neeku really seems to have become attached to Kaz. (Which is probably why Kaz asked who else Neeku considered a friend) He didn't even mention Tam or Torra.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Snafu55 likes this.
  10. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Surprising lack of Tam, that indicates to me that this episode was mostly filler. I wouldn't surprised to see the Engineer return in the finale to help the Collosuss Crew to make it relevant

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Fun fact- Neena was played by Josh Brenner’s wife, continuing the tradition of spouses playing foes on SW shows.

also

Grading poll is live.
    Have you watched "The Engineer" yet? Did you like it? Did you hate it? Did you not give a **** at all? Let us know.
    Click your grade and if you want, be a critic and let us know why!
    Note: This poll will close one week from now.​

chrcharcor2 likes this.
  12. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Pretty decent episode, glad they at least involved the FO. Hopefully after five episodes into the season now, most episodes going forward don't revolve around XYZ is screwed up on the Colossus and they have to fix it.

13. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Just a follow-up to my previous post, I gave it a 5/10.

14. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Darn, beat me to it this time. Didn't have time to add the poll at work today.

15. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    I thought this was a great episode. I like how the pirates have their own hangar where they engage in fisticuffs and loaf around. I like the tension of having them onboard, and how Synara is a bridge between the two crews. Neena was an interesting, well-designed & voiced character.

Not filler to me, but then I consider very few episodes to be filler because to me the whole point of a show as opposed to a movie is just to spend time in another world seeing what’s up. Sometimes not much is going on, sometimes things are intense, sometimes, like this episode, you get a nice balance.

16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Amen.

17. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    A good episode compared to last weeks weak filler ep. I liked that the FO were involved, Nena's character design was interesting and I thought it was new until I did some research (She's a Nikto) and even though Neeku is not a favourite character of mine, hearing some backstory is welcomed. 8/10

18. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    Wait, so there long distance coms being down in this episode can explain why they didn't get Leia's message... possibly.

whostheBossk and Jedi Daniel like this.
  19. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    This absolutely was filler, and not that well written either. I 'll use JH24's notes here for examples..
    Yes, except this is the opposite of what we have seen in episodes. Kaz has kept everything about himself a secret, while Neeku lets everyone know almost everything about him, what he likes and dislikes, without being asked.
    But why did he not see what Neena was doing? Fixing secondary systems by rerouting power from critically important primary systems. He was helping her do it.

Yeah, undoing in seconds what Neena and Neeku had spent far longer doing, despite the fact that we just saw him at the start of this episode being unable to fix something that Neeku then fixed in seconds.

Other frustrating plot armour/weakness....Kaz leaving Neena alone so she could run. Synara 's failure to stop Neena from boarding her ship (Synara is much better than that). Synara's sudden ability to unencrypt data in seconds (that was lucky :rolleyes:). The complete trust given to Neena from captain Doza. And of course the totally useless attack by the First Order.I

The only good thing in this episode was the relationship that was building between Neeku and Neena. I did like the character. I expect we will see her again and she really will be in trouble next time.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I did like a little character moment that Neeku admitted that Kaz seems to just talk about his Resistance buddies and not exactly delve too much into what Neeku's background is about, but I think that's more on Kaz being involved in the Resistance and he views Neeku as his dependable buddy. It seems lately that both Doza and Yager seem to be just delivering Bridge Exposition so it starts to make one of them feel expendable. The Pirates having taken over a chunk of the ship by themselves is interesting. I kind of liked the Engineer being a baddie, didn't see it coming.

that little alien dude getting his vacuum back was great.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Oh, it absolutely was filler? I guess I and others who didn't see it that way were wrong. Thanks for the correction.

RokurGepta and zackm like this.
  22. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    You didn't? I had heavy suspicion at the beginning, just because she was new. That was why the crew's instant trust in her bothered me, like me they should be suspicious of her just because they know nothing about her. In their situation that is the realistic action. By half way once we had got to see her kindness with Neeku and seen her helping him fix things, I mostly lost my suspicion of her. When Synara confirmed my earlier suspicion was right, that just annoyed me because Nena's plan can only work if she is completely trusted by the Colosus crew (that and Neeku somehow being blind to what they are doing), and of course that is the thing I felt was unrealistic at the beginning.

Yes that made me laugh. He was so happy to get it back [face_love].

You're welcome. The story did not progress. The Colosus' situation has not changed. We met a new character which we may not see again (although I don't believe that will be true). We know something new about Neeku, filling in some of his past. How was that episode NOT filler?

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think I bought it cuz I assumed that Neeku needed another engineer friend on The Colossus that isn't a turtle.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  24. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    He really does. They were really good together. I hope Neeku can be the one to save her from the First Order.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    Nena sounded like Sabine in the transmission and I got my hopes up

Thankfully, the preview clip's thumbnail was kind enough to crush my hopes and dreams