main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Resistance 2.07 - The Relic Raiders - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Alowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Nov 16, 2019.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Nov 25, 2019.
  1. 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 9

4.8%
  3. 8

4.8%
  4. 7

42.9%
  5. 6

14.3%
  6. 5

19.0%
  7. 4

9.5%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

4.8%
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Episode 2.07!!
    The Relic Raiders
    -------------------------------------

Discussion of New Episodes - Rules
    (1) One of the mods will post each week's episode thread a few days before it airs on Disney Channel.

(2) Discussion in the actual episode thread will be limited to that specific episode, NOT future episodes; past episodes may be referenced.

(3) Resistance episodes air on Sunday at 10:00 pm ET on Disney Channel. Anyone who catches an episode streaming before then must use spoiler tags. After that folks will begin discussing their reviews and thoughts which will likely include spoilers. To anyone concerned about being spoiled before watching the episode it is your responsibility to avoid the thread until you have had your chance to view.

(4) Spoilers like character deaths, appearances, and major plot details must be spoiler tagged in the new episode thread prior to the episode television air date.

(5) Do not post any preview video clips from the individual episode in the episode threads.

(6) Official episode commentary may be posted in this episode thread.

(7) Do not discuss future episodes in here.

(8) Reviews for each episode may be posted once they have aired. One of the mods will add a grading poll to that episode's discussion thread.

[​IMG]

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. JH24

JH24 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 19, 2017
    After seeing the teaser for this episode I realized for the first time how much this style looks like Zelda's "Breath of the Wild."

Hope this will be a good episode.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  3. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Well, I do have some catching up to do.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  4. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    The introduction of Jedi and Sith lore is a welcome addition, adding a significant dose of legitimacy to the show. The episode itself... turned out to be more of a setup and introduction rather than a meaningful story in itself.

Oh, and the way the kids were forced into the mission was borderline meta ("Yeah, we're using a blatant plot device to get them onto the planet as well as another chance to remind you that the show's main protagonist is an affable knob. Wink, wink.") The little gag about "The Lesson" at the end was more successful at this.

Having said that, it's good to see how each "faction" aboard the Collusus is getting its turn in the limelight as the episodes progress.

Once past that the initial adrenaline brought about by the ToTA-style imagery, the value of this episode will determined more by its followup than what happened in it. A provisional 7/10 for now.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    TheYodaPagoda and Troy_Viszla like this.
  5. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    The return of Kaz the Spaz...very annoying...just when he was seeming competent he can't do anything right.
    Kel and Eila...as @TheCloneWarsForever pointed out above...forced using idiot kids who don't listen to push along the story. Would not have minded if one or both were maimed or killed. They would deserve it for running into a dangerous situation.
    Are the FO Raiders a new thing??

Vinylshadow, TheYodaPagoda and Vorax like this.
  6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    This...was not a good one.

7. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Meh episode. But I liked the FO Raider Troopers.

8. ScorpioGirl

ScorpioGirl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    Well, this episode wasn’t a complete filler. Kaz, Torra, and Freya go for a supply run and Kel and Eila tag along. They happen across a sith temple and rescued a... an anthropologist? Archeologist? Scavenger? I’m not sure what to call Mika. But anyway, here’s what we got:

-We learn that Kaz never believed in the Force or the Jedi, but at the end, he seems conflicted about it.

-Apparently most of the Jedi temples are built over sith temples (and the Jedi were suprised the sith wanted revenge?)

-Kaz is such a dad in this. I love it!

-There was a Jedi/Sith temple on Tehar. Maybe that’s why Kylo Ren destroyed the planet.

-Speaking of Kylo, apparently, he was looking for sith artefacts or relics, and that Sith weapon thingy and the temple was destroyed because of Kaz. So, at least Kaz prevented the First Order from getting that weapon...accidentally.

-Yeager assuring his boyfriend that everything will be fine

-Well, at least they got some supplies, right?

I was hoping this would have a reference to Palpatine and his return in TROS, like Kaz accidentally setting something off or turning something on that would accelerate Palpy’s return, but oh well.

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  9. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Force Ghost star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    The episode was alright. Also was that a T3 utility droid?

Demon4x4 likes this.
  10. JH24

JH24 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 19, 2017
    Overall I enjoyed the episode.

- Kaz was his clumsy self again, but it can be excused somewhat as Sith Temples are death traps anyway.
    - Kel and Eila were a bit annoying in this episode.
    - First half was a bit weak, but the second half of the episode picked up when the FO raiders appeared.
    - Mika seems like an interesting character. I wonder if this means the Force is going to play a role later on in the season.
    - I liked the ending scene with Mika explaining about the Force. I thought it was a nice touch how the camera zoomed in on Kaz's expression. It felt like a kind of foreshadowing.

7.5/10

11. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    It just felt half-baked. Like they ran out of money for the underground Sith temple and so it felt like a cheap funhouse. And the character that was down there just...didn’t work for me. It felt like an oddly perfunctory story.

vncredleader likes this.
  12. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Agreed. I always praise how well this show can balance tone, but honestly this felt like it wanted to be low-stakes just walking around traps, and also ethereal and it ended up accomplishing neither. Like artifact plot that is a fun adventure? Sign me up. Focus on the creepiness of the Sith and how out of their depth our characters are on force stuff? Great. You can even do both, but this story didn't seem like it had a plan for how to do either. And yeah Mika Grey was just unlikable. I think they wanted a sorta Yoda figure, but harsh instead of goofy, but her deeper complexity was only in the very last line of the ep.

The raiders look damn cool though, and the sith symbol from all the way back in TOTJ being there was a really really really neat touch. I do think we found the one type of story that I will say Rebels did better than Resistance.

I hope they get back to what they do best, showcasing the complexities of how fascist regimes gain influence on individual levels. Give me more Tam dangit

Sinrebirth and Bor Mullet like this.
  13. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    do you by chance have any idea who writes this show or who the show runner is?? it isnt Filoni is it? i guess i could google but im lazy.

14. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    The lead is Brandon Auman, who actually wrote this ep. He worked on the 2012 TMNT show. They have gotten a ton of EMH, The Batman, and TMNT 2012 writers thus far

15. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Sorry for the DP but I wanted to make a correction, it is Justin Ridge who is the supervising director of Resistance, and who I was thinking of. Auman did write this ep though

16. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I was sort of annoyed at the kids stowing away on the mission, then not staying on the ship, then not following instructions. One of them deserved a gruesome death to show the other not to fool around in strange places related to The Force without grownups present.

It sure is good to see them venturing into Force-related places, as they're not users, or in Kaz's case, believers.

The Sith Power Source that is used as pretty much a Deus-Ex-Machina to rescue our heroes, what was its original purpose?

Sinrebirth and Chris0013 like this.
  17. JH24

JH24 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 19, 2017
    I'm sure at this point Kaz's dad must have pulled some strings to get his son to skip certain classes in his training to become a fighter pilot. I assume you would at least be taught how to defend yourself, but Kaz doesn't know how to fight, at all. He just crumbles if someone corners him.

I said in my previous post I found the kids a little annoying, but I do like how protective Kel is of his sister.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    CernStormrunner likes this.
  18. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Ok episode. I liked the visuals and design of the temple and Raider Troopers. Kaz somewhat reverting back to the season 1 version wasn't the best though. I didn't like the character of Mika or her just yelling the whole episode. Hopefully next week, we get some plot with Tam and the FO in it.

19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Grading poll is live.
    Have you watched "The Relic Raiders" yet? Did you like it? Did you hate it? Did you not give a **** at all? Let us know.
    Click your grade and if you want, be a critic and let us know why!
    Note: This poll will close one week from now.​

20. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    Interesting tidbit from SW.com:

In the script, Mika originally specified that the relic was a very powerful weapon that belonged to an ancient Sith Lord. Like other Sith artifacts seen in Star Wars stories, it has a triangular shape, which symbolizes a pinnacle of power above a lowly base. Sith artifacts, ancient writing, and Kylo Ren’s pursuit of such secrets all factor upcoming Star Wars storytelling…

https://www.starwars.com/news/buckets-list-extra-the-relic-raider-star-wars-resistance

21. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 1, 2018
    Dr Aphra and the Galaxy's Edge comic have been really big on the force artifacts

22. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Gave it a 7/10. Not a bad episode; still somewhat filler (does anyone remember this young character on Resistance known as Tam? I wonder what ever happened to her since she got caught up with the FO). The Jedi/Sith Lore in the form of the temple and artifact was a nice touch. Someone does need to explain something to me though; if the FO Raiders flew into the system, how did they not see and recognize the Colossus? You'd have thought at this point they'd have wanted posters or something of that ilk to alert patrols all over the galaxy.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  23. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    7/10 - it was fine, I liked the Sith temple design and just the fact that it dealt with the Force a bit.....still want to get back to Tam's story.

24. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 1, 2018
    Just pulling this out my butt, but I'm guessing the Raider troops are only concerned with finding artifacts and are basically black ops that's agenda is separate from conquering the galaxy.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  25. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Understandable, but you'd assume at the very least they'd be responsible for alerting the FO on the whereabouts of a Resistance-affiliated ship.