main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Resistance 2.16 - No Safe Place - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Jan 11, 2020.

Tags:
?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Jan 20, 2020.
  1. 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 9

38.9%
  3. 8

44.4%
  4. 7

5.6%
  5. 6

5.6%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

5.6%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Episode 2.16!!
    No Safe Place
    -------------------------------------

Discussion of New Episodes - Rules
    (1) One of the mods will post each week's episode thread a few days before it airs on Disney Channel.

(2) Discussion in the actual episode thread will be limited to that specific episode, NOT future episodes; past episodes may be referenced.

(3) Resistance episodes air on Sunday at 10:00 pm ET on Disney Channel. Anyone who catches an episode streaming before then must use spoiler tags. After that folks will begin discussing their reviews and thoughts which will likely include spoilers. To anyone concerned about being spoiled before watching the episode it is your responsibility to avoid the thread until you have had your chance to view.

(4) Spoilers like character deaths, appearances, and major plot details must be spoiler tagged in the new episode thread prior to the episode television air date.

(5) Do not post any preview video clips from the individual episode in the episode threads.

(6) Official episode commentary may be posted in this episode thread.

(7) Do not discuss future episodes in here.

(8) Reviews for each episode may be posted once they have aired. One of the mods will add a grading poll to that episode's discussion thread.

[​IMG]

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. ScorpioGirl

ScorpioGirl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    So, Kaz finally decides to join up with the main Resistance. I guess Norath left soon after Kaz and Yeager rescued him from Kadavos (right?), but he and Kaz remained in touch. They’re going to rendezvous near Batuu, which I was hoping we’d see this season.

Awww, Neeku’s sad and Torra is angry and sad Kaz is leaving. And aww! Yeager hugged Kaz (which was a little awkward, but, Yeager is Yeager, so, I guess that’s to be expected) and gave him the Fireball!

Oh, come on. Synara didn’t get to say goodbye to Kaz?!

“My father didn’t want me to get involved.”

Because he doesn’t want you to get hurt, or because he’s with the First Order?

And just when he gets off-planet, a FO probe shows up and leads a Star Destroyer to them!

Hehehe, Kaz imitating Yeager. And he managed to fix the ship while in space. Nice!

Man, I thought for sure Rucklin was going to be killed off!

“This is where I’m needed most.” Hmph. A simple excuse to keep Kaz on the Colossus and not show the main Resistance.

“I had this feeling that it was Tam up there.” Hmm. Do I detect a hint of Force sensitivity? It would explain his luck and talent as a pilot, but, I feel like if Kaz had the Force, he’d be a lot less clumsy.

Sounds like Yeager’s completely given up on Tam. But, in the finale, Kaz and Yeager will rescue Tam from the FO, so something must change in the next couple episodes.

So, after “months” of searching for a new home and all that work to stay there, the Colossus takes off when the FO finds them. Really?

I don’t know why I deluded myself by thinking Poe and Leia would make an appearance in this episode. This season clearly wasn’t meant to be the last, which makes me wonder if the rumors about them cancelling the show ‘cause of bad ratings is true.

3. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    Last half was a 9 at least but the unearned and overwrought first half bring it down.

The bad: So we're to believe that all this time, we've been following a group that's only interested in hiding from the war? No wonder the show's been unengaging. This is awfully late in the game for the heroes to be having their "call to action" moment. Kaz deciding to leave his family and take up the fight against the enemy was obviously meant to be a big, emotional moment but it hasn't been earned. At all. What do you mean "You've changed a lot since you got here?" Kaz has been the most static protagonist ever. And the attempt to force it in with Neeku's overlong, soppy histrionics don't work at all. The Clone Wars and Rebels have both had farewell moments that succeeded in being poignant without all the waterworks.

The good: Tam finally has her decision moment with Kaz, and it's resolved in a way that's tantalizingly ambiguous. The critical moment lacks a proper establishing shot, though, and it took a rewind to understand that Tam veered off the killing shot in order to intercept his missile fired at the SD's bridge.

The stage is set for the season finale now (and it's clear now that it is a season finale to a cancelled show, not a planned series finale.)

7/10

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    MLG Oshawott likes this.
  4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Question.

Why is it that in the ST, and Resistance, small ships like X-wings and the Ace ships have to land on the capital ships in order to get jumped to hyperspace? In the OT and RO, the Rebel Alliance ships coordinated jumps remotely. There was no need for X and Y and B wings, or corvetttes, to land on capital ships and be jumped out. Why has there been a regression? It’s a Battlestar Galactica thing, and for some reason, it feels very non-Star Warsy. Is there a canon explanation for this inability of small ships to remotely coordinate jumps?

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  5. MLG Oshawott

MLG Oshawott Jedi Youngling

Sep 30, 2019
    As much as I liked this episode and feel it was probably the best of the series thus far, I have to concur with you. With all due respect to the powers that be, I have a very difficult time believing the show ended on its own terms.

Kaz's decision to leave the Colossus was a nice moment that tried to make you feel like you've been following this close tight knit group for a while, but lacked much proper build up. The whole moment played off like something that would've been saved for a theoretical 3rd season.

Not only that, but it seems like Mika's whole deal has been...dropped entirely, along with Kel and Eila's plots. I do lowkey think a third season was a possibility at one point, as much as the crew says otherwise right now.

Who knows, maybe the last three episodes will somehow hit the home run and really feel like an ending, but I'm not holding my breath.

JH24 likes this.
  6. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Finally get Tam back in the fray, and it's another memorable episode with her in it. As in past episodes since she's joined the FO, you can tell she's got conflicting feelings. She knew Kaz was in that fighter when she locked onto him, and instead of pulling the trigger she flew into the maneuver as he torpedoed the bridge on the Star Destroyer.

7. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    So it was recently stated by the art designers that in TROS...

(tagging this just to be safe, MIGHT be a spoiler for the show too)

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a...lker-easter-eggs-animated-tv-shows-explained/
    The Fireball is somewhere in the fleet battle in Episode IX. Given the recent events of the Episode and Kaz's attempt to leave, that makes it a bit more likely he's actually going to the battle of Exegol himself. The Fireball is supposed to be unqique as far as we know... I don't know if that means we'll see the Fleet battle at the end of the show, but it shows some intent to link up with that idea at least.

I wonder how this will impact the finale...

whostheBossk, JH24 and indydefense like this.
  8. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    So...that was pretty good but man, this show has taken so long to get going, as has been said previously, so much of this seems rushed and unearned.

So three episodes left? Well it better be full steam ahead and is likely to just be done at breakneck speed to get the colossus rendevousing with the episode IX ships everywhere fleet.

JH24 likes this.
  9. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Liked this one a lot. Thought all of the action scenes and flying looked amazing, some of the better of the series. Hopefully the FO/Colossus stuff is at the forefront of the last three episodes. Did laugh when Agent Tierny threw Pryde under the bus at the end.

Jedi Daniel and JH24 like this.
  10. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    Even if the show had been allowed to finish as intended, the TROS Exogol armada would not have been the payoff event.

No more so than Scarif or the Death Star plans was Rebel's payoff event. Even a cursory familiarity with Filoni's storytelling sensibilities makes that easy to predict. I knew Scarif wouldn't appear on Rebels long before Filoni made that particular announcement.

JH24 and indydefense like this.
  11. Troy_Viszla

Troy_Viszla Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 2, 2018
    Really loved the Planet and the natives.
    Solid Episode.

JH24 likes this.
  12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Grading poll is live.
    Have you watched "No Safe Place" yet? Did you like it? Did you hate it? Did you not give a **** at all? Let us know.
    Click your grade and if you want, be a critic and let us know why!
    Note: This poll will close one week from now.​

13. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Gave this one a 9/10. Review is above. Obvious grading curve with Tam making an appearance.

14. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    9/10

-Wow. Actual character development?! Kaz is competent and serious?! Where has this show been?!

-Awww, I wanted to give Neeku a big hug! He's such a sweetheart!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    JH24 and chrcharcor2 like this.
  15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    So does anyone have an answer for this?

16. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    It's not a good answer but maybe the Ace's ships in Resistance have a high class hyperdrive system and they can't make a long range jump (if the Colossus is making that type of jump).

17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    OK, though the same seems to be the case in TLJ. But not in TFA...

Feels like storytelling decides this one.

18. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    *LOL*
    This episode for me 8/10

19. JH24

JH24 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 19, 2017
    Great episode. One of my favorites in this series.

- The first minutes were emotional. For a moment I really thought I was watching the ending or the epilogue of this series.
    - The goodbyes were well done. Neeku is such a sweetheart. Torra's goodbye was heartfelt too.
    - Yeager's goodbye was my favorite. Finally there was that hug I was hoping for.

- I really liked the scene with the FO probe, Kaz really showed his piloting skills here, and I was impressed not only by his move but also that the Fireball still took damage and was broken down when he finally made it back to the Colossus. It's a realistic touch.

- The aerial battle was well done but missed a bit of the tension in comparison with the ending of season 1. However, the tension came right back with Tam locking on to Kaz near the end.

- Kaz firing at the Destroyer bridge was a great move, and I loved how Tam intercepted it.

- I liked the darker implications at the end with Yeager and Kaz. We won't know for 100% sure if Tam would have fired but I felt they did a good job with the emotional weight of that question afterwards.

- I also liked Tam's small smile at the end after she was promoted. It's been some time we've seen any kind of genuine smile from her.

- Pyre saying he's worried about having to report in was a nice touch as well. You could actually see his dejected body posture as he was walking away.

- It really feels this series has found its pace. It makes me a bit sad that there are only a few more episodes left, but I'm looking forward to the conclusion.

9/10.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Darth Smurf and indydefense like this.
  20. Nerfherders

Nerfherders RMFF Treasurer star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    Maybe it's because it was on Disney instead of DXD, (which on DirecTV is higher def), but this was the most beautiful episode of the season. I loved the shots of the Fireball leaving the planet, it gave me a moment to enjoy the work that goes into the animation of this show.

Jedi Daniel, JH24 and Bor Mullet like this.
  21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Say what you will about the story, but Resistance is clearly the best-animated Star Wars show out there. Hard to argue with that.

JH24 likes this.
  22. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    wasn't a big fan of how they subverted expectations here. Kaz going to meet up with the Resistance would have been an interesting change of pace. Still, I'm glad they didn't hand-waive the Probe being above the new planet and the First Order surmising the Colossus had to be nearby. They probably could have had the probe follow Kaz and not transmit until he met up with the other Resistance agent (sorry, not a memorable character, I cant be bothered to look up his name for this one post) They didn't do that thankfully, and Kaz rightfully made the decision to warn his friends. Though he kind of had no choice but to return at that point.
    It was good to see Tam back. Finally the First Order gave her some positive reinforcement. I like how they depicted the First Order here. If you save your fellow pilots, that's a tarnish, but if you save your superiors, that will earn you a promotion.
    I did enjoy the animation of the dogfight. Overall it was a pretty fun episode. 8/10.

23. JH24

JH24 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 19, 2017
    Just re-watched the episode. Enjoyed it just as much, maybe even a little more as you can pick up on some of the details. I do agree with the others who said that Kaz's goodbye didn't have the build-up it should have had.

- I couldn't help but smile at that picture the probe took of Kaz. The way Kaz looked on the enlarged image was so like him.

- Every shot of the Star Destroyer was beautiful. With all its lights on it really is nice to look at.

- One small thing I liked was how the writers came back to Neeku's "You're my bestest friend" to Kaz. Back in "The Engineer" Kaz avoided replying to it, but it was nice to see him saying the same to Neeku in this episode.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  24. Troy_Viszla

Troy_Viszla Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 2, 2018
    The last two episodes where the best of the whole series.

25. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    9/10, one of the best episodes the series. Kaz is a better character when he's serious, rather than goofing around. The spaceship and battles scenes were beautifully animated. I liked the evolved design of the probe droid too.