main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Here's Some Money, Go See A Swap Thing: DCU/Elseworlds Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jul 2, 2013.

1. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Considering the Green Lantern ring is basically a literal “make the immaterial become material” monkey’s paw, something like Emerald Twilight adds a psychological twist to the idea of a Lantern going bad.

I *get* Hal fans hating it, I really do - on a concept level, it’s basically a much more competently executed version of Heroes in Crisis (which sucks:mad:) with Hal instead of Wally.

But like Marvel’s Civil War, it feels like something that could be revisited by a wary creative team to create a much better experience. And considering how you could incorporate more explicitly corrupted Guardians into the story now, and have Sinestro trying to corrupt someone he genuinely liked as a friend, it could work...

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    Yodaminch and Ramza like this.
  2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, 1. Execution is everything, so never count it out and 2. I’m not quite so sure. Heroes in Crisis seems to have been viciously rewritten as it was coming out (and viciously rewritten by noted hack and war criminal Tom King, at that), to the point that there’s evidence Wally wasn’t the original culprit at all. Wally had basically no motive for doing what he did, instead attempting to hastily cover-up what even he considered an accident. HiC didn’t serve as a jumping off point for new characters or new plot lines. And because they attempted to walk it back almost immediately with Flash Forward, it’s unlikely it will have a major long-term impact. None of these issues plague ET. About the only thing I think they have in common is fan backlash to a beloved character doing a bad thing, and in both cases it was quick to escalate from “understandable disappointment and lack of interest in still reading” to “embarrassingly over the top to the point of death threats” and will, unfortunately, probably not be looked back on with quite enough people declaring said reaction cringe.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This ought to be his author description on every release.

SuperWatto and Ramza like this.
  4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  5. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Absolutely not. He's John Glenn, not a drunk. That storyline is essentially character assassination and should be disregarded.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Man I dunno what the heck Tom King did at DC that got people so upset. I thought his Marvel Vision series was aces and also shows up, at least in thematic weirdness, in Wandavision.

gezvader28 likes this.
  7. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Tom King’s work is, on the whole, exceptional. The Vision and Mister Miracle are two of the best comics to come out of the Big Two in the 2st century, and imo both Rorschach and Strange Adventures are shaping up nicely. I enjoyed his Batman run, although the pacing was sometimes too slow, and Batman/Catwoman has a more focused story that I think will read really nicely as a completed volume.

Heroes in Crisis is disappointingly bad and thoroughly misguided, however.

8. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Hey, appleseed, long time, no see!

appleseed likes this.
  9. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Hey hey~!

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Heroes in Crisis burned a lot of goodwill he had with some people, since it seemed to fail at its themes, plotting, mystery, characterization, and being a little too “cute” in its meta commentary with the cameo appearances. Also, it’s just a bad idea to let yourself get dragged into Dan Didio’s blood feud with fans of legacy characters.

I think the more general consensus is that he always excelled with more B-List and below characters. His Batman run is always going to have that breaking point when he allowed DC to exacerbate the whiplash and annoyance factor he was going to cause by doing a fakeout at the first planned Batman and Catwoman wedding with marketing and tie-ins. And since his run was always going to have certain stylistic and theme choices that were going to split some people (“Bat” “Cat” , “Batman can’t exist if he’s happy”, “Bane has melodramatic-soap-opera powers”, “The entire Batfamily is going to job to Flashpoint Batman”, etc.), it was an unwise move.

I dropped it after the wedding fakeout because I didn’t find the plotting of the move compelling and the style was already a bit taxing for me. I wouldn’t want any of it inspiring adapted material, personally, just because it feels a bit pretentious and because I think it’s a “meh” Bane story, and a distant also-ran compared to Paul Dini’s work on Batman and Catwoman.

But Batman comic readers are spoiled... and we show it.:p We went from Morrison to Snyder to King, usually all accompanied by at least one other superstar on an accompanying Batman book and at least one awesome Batfamily book at the same time.

BigAl6ft6 and Yodaminch like this.
  11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I’m probably just not going to agree with some folks on this, I think Mister Miracle is loaded with warning signs that King was being overrated, most of which have panned out, and if that’s him at his best I want no part of it. These days he’s an automatic avoid for me, which DC is helpfully facilitating by having him do one of their many grotesque Watchmen cash-grabs, which I avoid on principle anyway.

But wouldn’t it be better if John Glenn was also an incompetent drunk that everyone hated but inexplicably you were supposed to like him at the end even though he hadn’t done much to justify that reaction? In this TED talk, I will...

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Darkseid is.
    Darkseid is.
    Darkseid is.
    Darkseid is.
    Darkseid is.
    Darkseid is.
    Darkseid is.
    Darkseid is.
    Darkseid is.

13. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I've been told to give Snyder's Justice League run a look (SCOTT Snyder, not Zack, lol), I think I am going to go pick it up today at my FLCS, anyone know which volume is the first? Feel like @The2ndQuest might know for some reason :p

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    No Justice, it’s a prelude so it doesn’t have a volume number, IIRC. Then it rather conveniently starts with Volume 1, as long as you mean Volume 1 and not Volume 1, Volume 1, or Volume 1.

... I really hate how the big two number their trades, although fortunately you can just double check the author.

Edit: Oh, and I think they also recently put out Book One, which covers the first two volumes, but not No Justice.

Darkslayer likes this.
  15. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Just reminiscing here; that first ever JLA ish with Starro is quite fun.

16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Story question...does Darkseid show up at all? :D

17. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    was it just me or did anyone else think his name was pronounced Darkseed when they read the comics? 'cos Darkside is so on-the-nose as to be silly.

BigAl6ft6, The2ndQuest and Sarge like this.
  18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    If you want Darkseid battling the Justice League I would direct you to Grant Morrison’s JLA or Geoff Johns’ Justice League instead, I don’t think Snyder used him (I have not read the run myself yet, but the impression I got from other books was he was kind of building up plot points for his big Death Metal crossover, which revolved around... multiversal evil Joker Batman? Basically?).

Edit: Oh, and obviously there are the collections of Jack Kirby’s Fourth World material, but that lacks the Justice League. Mostly. It’s complicated.

19. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Identity Crisis by Brad Meltzer is an excellent story too. And it has terrific artwork.

Hopefully they make an eight hour film of that someday in the future.

20. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I thought it was only me that had that issue. I... I feel seen. Thank you.

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Book One of Snyder's run is a gas. No Darkseid but it has the Legion of Doom and their headquarters is straight from SuperFriends.

If you really only have interest in Darkseid, the story event BEFORE Snyder took over is what you're looking for. It's collected in a book conveniently titled Darkseid War.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  22. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Identity Crisis is an odd duck for me. Some parts of it feel like they could easily be used elsewhere to good effect, while other parts would be a hard pass for me.

I mean, on the one hand, I love the idea of Batman having part of his memory wiped because he found some Leaguers doing something objectionable, and that cranked up his paranoia... but on the other hand, having Green Arrow and others be all “Yeah, I’ll allow us to mindwipe this guy and wreck his psyche” is a bit of bull. One the one hand, Deathstroke taking on multiple Leaguers in a single fight is an awesome idea... but doing it stupidly isn’t. Murder mysteries are great... but only if they’re done well.

And it’s really not a great idea to go “So, for my murderer, I’m just going to make Ray Palmer’s Ex a Crazy *****, because that will solve everything! And I’m going to have Sue Disney murdered *and* retconned into a rape victim!”

“And we’re going to follow up War Games being the suckiest of Bat-family stories, where Dan Didio got to work out his vendetta against Stephanie Brown for existing, by having Tim Drake’s dad get murdered immediately afterwards!”

Like Civil War, I think it could have some serious play of somewhat redid it in an intelligent way... but a flat out adaptation would be a bad idea.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  23. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    @godisawesome

You make great points.

I must admit, only read Identity Crisis once meself and I've nowhere near the recollection of detailed plot details as yourself.

I bought the TPB when I went on a DC comics binge about 10 years ago, read it immediately in two days, and as a newbie to that story I found it impactful, memorable, and well crafted, especially the artwork, which is mainly why I read comics anyhow, at least over story.

So, yes, I tend to agree with your observations and insights, although, in fairness, I ought to reread the book again and then I might have new insights.

It is a richly detailed work and perhaps I might view it differently on second read as is often the case with everything.

Thanks for the insights mate.

godisawesome likes this.
  24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Now I have admittedly never read Identity Crisis precisely because of the Sue Dibny stuff, buuuuut Jean Loring being... well, one of a myriad and rich history of poor comic book depictions of mental health actually has precedent from the 1970s of all periods, which DC likes to cite in some of their collected editions of older material as proof of how very correct it was to release Identity Crisis, actually (I'm thinking of The Wedding of the Atom and Jean Loring, for example).

Mind you I'd cynically think the bank statements were justification enough given the miniseries seems to have been an excuse to slap "BRAD MELTZER" in big letters on the trade, but I guess somebody cares.

godisawesome likes this.
  25. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Interestingly, I tend to find myself firmly on the side of writing being immensely more important to a comic than the writer, but I *do* get how great artwork can elevate a so-so story. The art of Identity Crisis is pretty much all that really works to sell Jack Drake’s death, since otherwise it’s a pretty blatant and banal shock death (which that Robin would suffer through to an utterly *insane* degree in the next few years).

But my worst “berserk button” for a bad comic is if it’s got a good artist, and that’s somehow keeping it on life support. Brett Booth is a fine artist... but Scott Lobdell’s Teen Titans run devolved into contemptible trash by the time it was in its third year, and should have been cancelled before it got there. And Jim Lee is fantastic... but Frank Miller’s All Star Batman and Robin should have been buried in the woods where no one could ever see it again.

I have a nasty habit of thinking that good-to-great artists are much more numerous than competent writers.