main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Here's Some Money, Go See A Swap Thing: DCU/Elseworlds Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    John David Washington could be fun as Supes.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  2. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I mean...if nothing else... William Jackson Harper (Chidi from The Good Place) has the body for it, and can rock some glasses...

[​IMG]

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    =D=Sure. I haven’t watched the show, but he looks like he’d be a wonderful Clark (and a fine Supes.)

5. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    You really should. Its forking amazing, and that’s no bullshirt!

FatBurt, Juliet316 and Master_Lok like this.
  6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

This made my day! Now just give us the full scene :D

7. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    is he gonna show us the scene on his cell phone too

8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Is he going to read this thread and think, “well okay then!”

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  9. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I hope so!

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    "leaked" concept art of paul dano's riddler making its way around social media:

[​IMG]

aligns pretty well with a shot from the trailer:

[​IMG]

also lines up with the shot of his victim, face covered in duct tape and "no more lies" written in blood (i assume). a serial killer take on the character, should be interesting.

11. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
  12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    DC seems really obsessed with turning the Riddler into Jigsaw because otherwise we might realize a guy dressing up in a bat costume to fight crimes committed by a guy who leaves clues on purpose is a little silly. I feel like it's been their go-to move for the last decade.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  13. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I’ll confess I was kind of hoping they might do something clever and have the Duct-Tape Killer be separate from the Riddler, with Riddler only pretending he was DTK (Ha!) because he was actually being more of an insufferable genius and taunting everyone by placing the riddles to show he’d figured out who the killer is - more of a BTS information broker still doing a lot of stuff to force people to admit he was smarter than him, but not going “conventional thriller movie bad guy.”

I’m still excited as hell to see the movie, mind you, but I’m still really annoyed at guys I trust with most Bat-villains like Matt Reeves, Greg Capullo, Scott Snyder, or TellTale Games, going for “grungy, Jigsaw Riddler.” Ever since BTAS, I’ve felt the right direction for the character is more suave, genuine genius with style and some rational cunning; John Glover’s voice + a guy who actually *is* practical enough to spend two episodes trying to either erase his records so he can go into hiding or “not-Riddler” his final confrontation with Batman feel so much better than just going after death-traps.

I get that everyone realizes that comics have been using “Classic Riddler” as a hapless nerd... but why do people keep thinking he should be trying to “Jack the Ripper”-it-up like Joker, instead of taking him more towards Charles Augustus Milverton or Professor Moriarty?

14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    while i have no doubt reeves would do it better than the ****stick who wrote and directed iron man 3, the "fake"/"made for tv" villain with the real one behind the scenes is a bit gimmicky.

i think this could work within the gothic motif of the film, a la gotham by gaslight - zodiac is the parallel being thrown around for dano's riddler, but there could be a bit of jack the ripper.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I think it's just that Riddler fell into an awkward spot where any good gimmick he could have is occupied by a different villain the writers tend to prefer (Ra's is arguably the more compelling mastermind character for most plotlines since he has a bunch of cool assassins, Joker is highly profitable, and thus blessed for permanent overexposure by the marketing department the better deranged prankster), so at some point someone suggested "I dunno, Jigsaw?" and everyone just rolled with it because they were trying to edge it up.

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, I dunno... I kinda see there being a place for a Jigsaw-like Riddler character... someone who devised ingenious death traps (with a proper solution to escape of course, if people are smart enough) to punish people for their crime. Basically like the other side of the coin of Batman (who... punishes people for their crime, except brings them in for arrest and trial vs. killing them -- his antithesis, except in Snyder-dom) vs. the mirror image of Batman (The Joker).

All depends on execution, one supposes...

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  17. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
  18. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Timm has me excited, he's great.

Abrams doing Batman though...oof

19. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    This lost me at JJ Abrams.

CT-867-5309, Ramza and Darkslayer like this.
  20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm as in to everything about the pitch for this series as I am put off by J. J. Abrams being listed second on that Batman series. Poetry, to be sure.

21. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Honestly, I am far more excited for My Adventures with Superman on the sole basis of look how freaking adorable that art is oh my god it's delightful.

heels1785 and Ramza like this.
  22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Exactly. This will be the first theatrical appearance of the Riddler since this...
    Riddler GIFs | Tenor

So, yeah, I'm in favor of a Jigsaw-like Riddler character, not just for the sake of the Riddle's big screen redemption, but it will force Batman to be a detective.

I don't think it would a good idea to have a "bait & switch" villain because of the Iron Man 3 debacle. Additionally, I really didn't like that it was Talia all along in The Dark Knight Rises, as it took away from Bane's character and motivation. I also didn't like it very much in Batman Begins where Ken Watanabe was the faux the Ra's al Ghul.

And let's no forget that Catwoman is in The Batman movie too, so there's already a good amount of antagonists in the film.

heels1785 likes this.
  23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    i think dp said it more eloquently once, but jj abrams the producer >> jj abrams the director

looking forward to both series, dc animation is my jam.

24. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Agreed. I think Abrams is usually very successful when he's helping to guide somebody else's vision, and occasionally offering some notes here and there, then when he has both hands on the wheel so to speak.

heels1785 likes this.
  25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    You both realize he was executive producer on Lost, right? There is, I think, pretty good cause for skepticism on this until we see the end result.

CT-867-5309 likes this.